D. Rose: 21 :lol

Chicago wins by 5.

Philly: 15 attempts
Miami: 39 attempts

Miami wins by eight.

:rolleyes

DPG21920
04-16-2011, 05:11 PM
To be honest, Rose/Wade/Lebron are 3 of the best at getting to the line. In the playoffs, they attack more than anyone. So, it's not that surprising. I didn't see anything too egregious. The only beef I have is when they call legit fouls for those 3, but then don't call the same contact the other way.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-16-2011, 05:13 PM
I don't disagree with you - they are all good at attacking. More of it was frustration about Philly and Indy getting murdered at the other end with no call.

Nathan89
04-16-2011, 05:13 PM
The spurs will definitely not benefit from the refs. Even against the Grizz at home.

spurspokesman
04-16-2011, 05:17 PM
The spurs will definitely not benefit from the refs. Even against the Grizz at home.

This

TampaDude
04-16-2011, 05:18 PM

+1 Expect to see each of the following three refs at least once in the series:

Joe Crawford
Bennett Salvatore
Dick Bavetta

5 on 8 for the Spurs, folks...they better bring their A game.

DPG21920
04-16-2011, 05:19 PM
That is because literally have no one that attacks besides TP and they are a jump shooting team. Memphis pounds it into the paint all of the time.

GrandeDavid
04-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Rose getting 21 free throw attempts is definitely the refs affecting the game.

InTheCrust
04-16-2011, 05:28 PM

Joe Crawford
Bennett Salvatore
Dick Bavetta

Wouldn't be too surprised to see that all-star lineup of refs working game 3...

toki9
04-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Those disparities are really extreme--even given the make up of the teams. It's the playoffs. There is "contact" everywhere.

will_spurs
04-16-2011, 06:13 PM

One of the TV hosts commented at the end of the game that "every play for Chicago is basically a 3-point play", given that Rose went to the line each and every time. Rose has 21 FTA on 23 FGA.

Mel_13
04-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Total FT attempts today with all 4 teams playing equally hard: 71 (Miami/Chicago), 32 (Indy/Philly). That's embarrassing.

http://twitter.com/sportsguy33

dbestpro
04-16-2011, 06:21 PM

An uneven called game is a major reason why 70% of NBA teams are losing money and why we will see next season lost during the lockout.

pgardn
04-16-2011, 06:32 PM
That is because literally have no one that attacks besides TP and they are a jump shooting team. Memphis pounds it into the paint all of the time.

Ginobili does not attack? Just because he shoots 3's does not mean he does not attack the basket, he is constantly drawing contact on drives. Hill is not bad either, he just gets less time on the floor. No one in the league attacks the basket better than Rose, and that includes Lebron. Rose is the quickest/fastest/strongest combo guy in the league. And stats will get exaggerated in the playoffs because these guys are going to be on the floor longer, and doing what works more often. Rose was not shooting well so he just forced himself through tiny spaces.

Interesting topic though. The refs are going to have to control these games in some way as the aggressiveness is clearly up. Personally I also like to see how they call it underneath with the bigs shoving each other as well. This does not show up statwise often times. Zach Randolph comes to mind. The guy is fantastic at "rooting" people out under the boards and clearing space for himself. It will be interesting to see how the calls differ home and away. Pop is certainly going to ask for Blair,McDyess, and Bonner to get lower and push him under the basket if he gets position or flop on him if he shoves back too hard. This is not the regular season, so an attempt at all out warfare will be started. Lets see how the refs react.

DPG21920
04-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Spurs don't really score in the paint and they shoot a ton of 3's. Does that mean they "never attack"? No. Obviously not. But they don't attack like other teams and don't deserve a lot of free throws. So for people to say "I bet the Spurs don't get a huge FT disparity like CHI or MIA at home" is silly because they shouldn't.

pgardn
04-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Spurs don't really score in the paint and they shoot a ton of 3's. Does that mean they "never attack"? No. Obviously not. But they don't attack like other teams and don't deserve a lot of free throws. So for people to say "I bet the Spurs don't get a huge FT disparity like CHI or MIA at home" is silly because they shouldn't.

We shoot a ton of 3's so that we can attack, and vice versa (they go hand in hand imo) because we do not go through Duncan anymore. The disparity you mentioned is of course a good point. I would add that we also do not crash the O-boards and choose to get back and get set. Tim used to draw a heck of a lot of fouls when he was allowed a little bit more leeway in hanging out underneath.

I was actually counting on Splitter to allow us to get a few more 2nd chance points at the beginning of the season. Obviously this thought has crashed and burned. The only guy that really gets a decent number per minute is Blair. And Blair has not been playing very well lately imo. In fact I would argue he has gained some lbs.

Tony definitely supplies us with the easiest baskets because of his speed and ability to finish. Wish we could get some easy put backs with the and one. We hardly ever get put back and ones... it really helps keep teams playing poorly stay close (see Lakers).

Anyways, the war with Randolph will be interesting. Also interested in Tony Allen hand checks. He is very good at it. Its the playoffs, he might get better.

DPG21920
04-16-2011, 07:03 PM
No one respond to this ^. Please. I beg you.

pgardn
04-16-2011, 07:04 PM
No one respond to this ^. Please. I beg you.

Sorry, I saw it too late...

pgardn
04-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Ill take it down.

DPG21920
04-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Ill take it down.

:lol It's ok.

DPG21920
04-16-2011, 07:09 PM
No one respond to this girl, Lakaluva.

Tobias Funke
04-16-2011, 07:12 PM

The refs don't side with 3 point shooting teams.

pgardn
04-16-2011, 07:13 PM
Take what down, asshole.

You seem to have a fixation on the anus.

How many big hairy "fellas" got to you in da house?
And did you like it?

Sorry DPG...

DPG21920
04-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Damn it, PG :lol

ShoogarBear
04-16-2011, 08:45 PM

Yep, unless Tim and Manu (or RJ*) get more agressive, you should just expect a FT deficit.

* :lmao

PublicOption
04-16-2011, 09:26 PM
Pop always likes to have high % 3pts shooters because when they hit they cannot control the game.

FromWayDowntown
04-16-2011, 09:26 PM

Joe Crawford
Bennett Salvatore
Dick Bavetta

Interesting to me today that Salvatore is (apparently) not a crew chief in this year's playlets. In Chicago today, Joey Crawford was the crew chief. It may suggest that Salvatore is starting to be moved down the officiating hierarchy. The same thing has happened recently with Bavetta; last year he was done early in the second round.

DMC
04-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Part of me wants to say it's just how the offense runs with these teams. A bigger, more realistic part says that even ex-coaches and players comment on how this or that call should not have been made "at home" or "at this point in the game". Refs should always blow the whistle when a foul occurs, and the threshold for foul should not change as the game progresses nor should it be dependent upon the situation or who it will effect.

I accept refs will miss some calls and make some that weren't actually fouls, but to simply change the definition of a foul because it's the final possession or because one team is up by 30 is wrong. If a player travels with 2 seconds left in the game and up 40, it should be called. They do it every game, pick up the ball and walk with a few seconds left, to shake the hands of the other players. Refs don't call anything. Silly I know, but objective officiating would not differentiate between situations.

4>0rings
04-16-2011, 10:21 PM
I only saw the Chicago game and I can honestly say from an unbiased opinion as I don't care for either team that the disparity in FT's was legit. I really didn't see any horrible calls only one way and Rose is just the best in the league at attacking the rim. The reffing always favors the agressive team.

Fabbs
04-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Parker is the #1 paint scoring guard is he not? Perhaps Rose has swiped that from him.

GNob goes to the rack regularly. Soft Dick has gone a fair amount.
Not buying your "huge FT disparity" justification. Lets see the paint attempt stats.

Also today, as Aggie Hoops Fan pointed out, while Rose went to the line a bunch, okay. How about when Indy drove it to the rack at the other end?

I saw the game distracted and everytime Chicago made a push, Indy responded. Except for the last 1:30.

ducks
04-16-2011, 11:08 PM
15 free throws for dallas in 4 quarter 12 for portland for game

Fabbs
04-16-2011, 11:40 PM
:lol Nobitchky does a Kobelike 7-20 but gets a Kobelike same # of FTs as entire Portland team.
"Because he takes the ball to the rack."
Yeah right.

DMC
04-17-2011, 12:19 AM
Durant shoots more FTs than anyone in the league (I think). No way the refs are pulling for OKC against LA.

Like all "real" stats, I would be more skeptical if there was not a FT disparity.

Man In Black
04-17-2011, 01:20 AM
If you really want to get down to it, take the play by play breakdown off of NBA.com and then set up video for each called foul. Get some perspective and then check the other side for the same kind of perspective THAT WAS NOT CALLED.

It happens all the time. Is it fix? Not exactly, it's a cause and effect that helps shape a series (According to the NBA). And for that fag LAL Bandwagon dude...-> head to lg and join their yearly pilgrimage to ref bitching daily until the LAL gets eliminated.

will_spurs
04-17-2011, 03:13 AM
I thnk most of the reds are simply unable to follow the action on 10 guys at a time... so they focus on the 2-3 guys who are most likely to get the ball = the stars. On one of Indy's last actions there was a bit of a mess under the basket, a shot was released, didn't go in, defensive rebound, no foul. I'm pretty sure the other way around one of the refs watching Rose closely finds a guy with his hands in the wrong place and whistles. This would have given the Pacers a bit of time to breathe, which they didn't get.

ElNono
04-17-2011, 03:28 AM
Don't forget HCA folks... homecooking is a reality, so we have to take advantage of it and be aggressive...

Cry Havoc
04-17-2011, 03:30 AM

That is absurd. Portland attacked the basket as often as the Mavs did, and a jump shooter like Dirk shoots more than the entire Blazers team? Ridiculous.

Giuseppe
04-17-2011, 05:34 AM
An uneven called game is a major reason why 70% of NBA teams are losing money and why we will see next season lost during the lockout.

Though the TV ratings are thru the roof.

hsxvvd
04-17-2011, 07:02 AM
Rose's FTA certainly jumps off the box score... It seems like the NBA flavour of the month gets a few bonus free throws... I am definitely noticing a growing "star" bias, good TEAMS...like the Spurs will always be disadvantaged by this.

ploto
04-17-2011, 09:49 AM

If they shoot a bunch of three's, they certainly will not.

Fabbs
04-17-2011, 10:09 AM
If they shoot a bunch of three's, they certainly will not.
Why not? Worked for the Mavs didn't it?
Portland 16
Mavs 19

FTs
Mavs 29 (Floppin Frauline 13)
Portland 13

Giuseppe
04-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Don't fret the Spurs have always benefited from the cheating.

Kool Bob Love
04-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Don't fret the Spurs have always benefited from the cheating.

http://wandaphullworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/kobe_bryant-paternity_papers-courtside.jpg

:nope

Giuseppe
04-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Your Neal raped too. You've no room.

Kool Bob Love
04-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Your Neal raped too. You've no room.

Key word is "cheating".:toast

Giuseppe
04-17-2011, 10:43 AM
Key word is "cheating".:toast

Ok then, your Parker (the one with the ass) cheated.

ecksrobecks
04-17-2011, 11:34 AM
That is absurd. Portland attacked the basket as often as the Mavs did, and a jump shooter like Dirk shoots more than the entire Blazers team? Ridiculous.

dirk was attacking the basket and getting mugged (the entire game, but they didn't start calling it until the 4th q, had 0 fta before the fourth quarter started), the blazers were also attacking the basket but when they did the mavs just stepped back and let them dunk it.

temujin
04-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Novitski:

Minute 1-42 FTs 0
Minute 43-48 Fts 13.

:lol

He was "attacking the rim!".
Whatever that means.

:lol

What a fucking joke.

ALVAREZ6
04-17-2011, 11:54 AM
The watch the games? Rose deserved all of those foul shots. That nigga is unstoppable, it's almost near impossible for any sole defender to stay in front of him. With his quickness, explosiveness, and athleticism, the way he attacks the basket it's either a foul or FG complete by nature, he takes off from a trampoline every jump and has great body control in the air.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-17-2011, 01:19 PM
The watch the games? Rose deserved all of those foul shots. That nigga is unstoppable, it's almost near impossible for any sole defender to stay in front of him. With his quickness, explosiveness, and athleticism, the way he attacks the basket it's either a foul or FG complete by nature, he takes off from a trampoline every jump and has great body control in the air.

Did you watch? Indy got mauled all day at the other end. In the last two minutes they got straight up gang raped on 2-3 straight trips, no calls.

ALVAREZ6
04-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Did you watch? Indy got mauled all day at the other end. In the last two minutes they got straight up gang raped on 2-3 straight trips, no calls.

Not with super attention to that detail since the outcome didn't matter to me personally and I was pretty drunk all day, so you're probably right, but the Rose part still applies.