Bruno
04-17-2011, 04:00 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_thaddeus_young.jpg
Born: Jun 21, 1988
Height: 6-8 / 2.03
Weight: 220 lbs. / 99.8 kg.
College: Georgia Tech
Years Pro: 3

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/thaddeus_young/career_stats.html)

RFA

sasffl
04-17-2011, 07:09 AM
A tweener, a good choice to matchup Odom, but no money to bring him in.

ChuckD
04-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Since we have NO idea what the new CBA will look like, FAs can be discussed without taking money into account for now. There may be a hard cap and no Larry Bird exception or MLE, totally fucking Philly and many other teams.

SenorSpur
04-17-2011, 07:23 PM
I doubt it was intentional, but the Spurs don't have any major players entering FA, so that's good. But yes, this exact situation totally screwed Orlando over when Shaq went to LA.

Either way, the Spurs should pursue Thad, but no way the 76ers give him up without a fight.

Phila,
I take it that you've watched Thad a bit. If so, what's your overall impression of his skills and his game? And why do you believe he's someone the Spurs should go after?

baseline bum
04-17-2011, 07:49 PM
Young is only 22, and he's going to really be something once the Sixers decide whether to keep him or Iguodala. This guy may be the best young player whose name most fans haven't heard. What I would give to have him on the Spurs...

lefty
04-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Yes please

baseline bum
04-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Yeah I actually figured it was closer to 23 than 25, so he is a lot younger than most. The 76ers want to keep him for sure, but with the most expensive years of Brand's and Iggy's contracts are coming up and the new CBA puts a question on what might happen. I would certainly trade Blair for Thad.

Blair definitely won't be enough; I'd jump if the Spurs could get him for Blair+Neal or Blair+Anderson, but those are probably both pipe dreams.

SenorSpur
04-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Not only is he's an athletic combo forward, but he is skilled and plays hard. He doesn't have an ego, he is easily a starter caliber player, yet comes off the bench due to Iggy starting at the small forward and his coaches over the years prefer starting Brand over Thad. He won't run point guard, but he can handle a bit, easily one of the best transition offensive and defensive players in the NBA. He isn't a shooter, but he has a set shot that is effective and can play inside as well on both ends.

Why the Spurs should go after him? Well he is that combo forward the Spurs have been quietly trying to find. James Gist, Marcus Haislip, and even Antonio McDyess/DeJuan Blair to a certain extent. Plus, as his name says, he is young. He might be 25? Something like that. Still some upside with the right consistent coaching.

Good summary. By the way, how is he as a defender? And is he as good of a defender as Iggy?

baseline bum
04-17-2011, 10:28 PM
Neal and Anderson wouldn't draw much interest from Philly. They have Meeks and Turner coming off the bench at those positions. Blair would at least replace some front court depth. Anyways, the Spurs would need someone else to do the signing. Not sure how the Spurs can quite pick him not. I don't want him to leave Philly though. They have a really good young core with Holliday/Turner/Thad/Spieghts/Hawes. That's a great group of young players under 25.

You think Turner has a future? He looks awful every time I see him. I know Jrue Holiday wasn't lighting it up last year and came back big his sophomore season, but wow, I can't believe that was the guy I saw killing at Oho State last year.

spursbird
04-18-2011, 05:36 AM
Surely a perfect fit for the Spurs, but I don't see him coming. Spurs don't have enough money to get him. And though very young, he hasn't improved a lot in the past years.

baseline bum
04-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Wow, I forgot Iguodala was that young.