PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Remember Rasho?

Kori Ellis
06-07-2005, 12:22 AM
Remember Rasho? Nesterovic's limited playoff role may expand to balance Pistons' size edge
Web Posted: 06/07/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA060705.1D.BKNspurs.nesterovic.2ec0011ac.html

The billboards sprinkled across town feature the six flags representing the different homelands of the Spurs, as well as the season-long marketing slogan uniting them: One team, one goal.

Pictured are three players who figure to help the Spurs toward that final objective: Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and ... Rasho Nesterovic?

While Nesterovic doesn't figure to tower over the Finals the way his likeness does over U.S. 281, his role could receive a slight bump in size if Detroit's stable of big men tests the Spurs' depth.

"I'll just try to fit in and not break our rhythm," Nesterovic said. "Do whatever I can do."

What he's done a lot lately is sit. When the Spurs open the Finals on Thursday, it will be two months to the day since Nesterovic last started a game. He sprained his left ankle against the Los Angeles Clippers on March 9, missed the final six games of the regular season and still wasn't completely healthy when the playoffs began.

Nazr Mohammed has played well since moving into the starting lineup, averaging an efficient 8.1 points and 7.0 rebounds in 23.1 minutes during the postseason. Nesterovic, in the meantime, has become a part-time reserve, filling in for short stretches when Mohammed or Duncan has foul trouble.

A poor fit against the athleticism of the Phoenix Suns' Amare Stoudemire, he appeared in three of the five games in the Western Conference finals, totaling only nine minutes.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who primarily has relied on Duncan, Mohammed and Robert Horry at power forward and center during the playoffs, doesn't figure to expand his regular rotation immediately to include Nesterovic. Mohammed's aggressiveness at the rim — something the Spurs have tried, unsuccessfully, to coax out of his predecessor — and his offensive rebounding have contributed to the team's success.

"I'm the fifth wheel," Mohammed said. "Just trying to fit in and get some lucky tip-ins."

Nesterovic also has tried to keep rolling along, despite being tethered to the bench for much of the playoffs. He was most active in the first round against Denver, playing in all four of the Spurs' victories. When Mohammed struggled in Game 3, Nesterovic provided seven rebounds, five on offense, in 17 minutes.

"He's been the same at practice as he's always been, positive and working hard," assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo said. "The hard part is the not playing. You lose your sharpness.

"Forget whether you're a starter or not, if you're a guy used to getting a regular 20, 25 minutes, to go games without playing and then all of a sudden get thrown in, that's an adjustment."

Even more so for a guy who hadn't come off the bench in more than four years. Since moving into Minnesota's lineup during the 2000-01 season, Nesterovic had started every game in which he played.

His first appearance as a reserve was the second game of this season's playoffs.

"It's pretty tough because it's something new for me," Nesterovic said. "But that's part of the life, part of the game. You must just get used to it and get stronger out of it."

Mohammed had to do the same after he joined the Spurs more than midway through the season. After entrenching himself as New York's starting center for almost a year, he lost that job when the Spurs acquired him for Malik Rose. A groin injury he suffered with the Knicks further limited his effectiveness as well as his minutes.

It wasn't until Nesterovic sprained his left ankle for the second time this season that Mohammed received his opportunity. Given the starting job and, more important, the consistent minutes that came with it, he produced.

"Injuries are just part of the game," Mohammed said. "If it wasn't for Theo Ratliff getting hurt in Atlanta, who knows where I would be right now.

"The guys in Philadelphia used to tell me to always be prepared. That's something I've always remembered."

Nesterovic has tried to do the same. Seattle frequently went small during the latter part of its second-round series against the Spurs, further limiting his chances to get on the court. With Phoenix trying to match up, the Spurs stayed big throughout the conference finals, but Nesterovic received only a handful of minutes of spot duty.

Detroit has a more traditional lineup, starting Ben Wallace (6-foot-9) alongside Rasheed Wallace (6-11). Antonio McDyess (6-9) and Elden Campbell (7-0) come off the bench.

Nesterovic would have had a better opportunity to play had Miami and Shaquille O'Neal advanced to the Finals, where his 7-foot frame and six fouls likely would have been needed. But he did contribute 13 points and six rebounds in 35 minutes against the Pistons on March 20 after Duncan sprained his ankle. He also remains one of the Spurs' best team defenders.

"Whenever they need me," Nesterovic said, "I'm here."

milkyway21
06-07-2005, 12:31 AM
right, there is where Rasho plays a big part.

"The hard part is the not playing. You lose your sharpness. ..& hope this won't be a problem to the team.

--------------------------------------------------------
ONE TEAM, ONE GOAL :bling:bling:bling

timvp
06-07-2005, 12:36 AM
Rasho will play some good minutes.

Believe.

Please.

Kori Ellis
06-07-2005, 12:42 AM
Rasho had a decent game in the game that Tim got hurt -- 13 points on 6-for-10 and six boards. Ben Wallace had 8 and 9; Rasheed 15 and 6.

milkyway21
06-07-2005, 01:01 AM
i love the guy--i hate it when everyone shit on him for no reason. i hope he plays big against rasheed.

anyone know how well he has faired against him or ben?
http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/NY150060623_lower.jpg

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/NY152060623_lower.jpg

i think it will be a match between:
Duncan vs Rasheed W.

Rasho vs Big Ben

Parker vs Billups

Manu vs. Rip

timvp
06-07-2005, 01:02 AM
Those are some old ass rosters.

R.I.P. Malik

milkyway21
06-07-2005, 01:12 AM
Rasho VS. DETROIT(2004-05) 2 games stats

2games

62min 7FG; 13FGAttmps; 1FT; 2FTAttmps; 13rbds(6.5/game); 2assts; 2blks; 15pts(7.5/game).

:rolleyes we need more blks/rbds Rasho.

slayermin
06-07-2005, 01:45 AM
While Nesterovic doesn't figure to tower over the Finals the way his likeness does over U.S. 281, his role could receive a slight bump in size if Detroit's stable of big men tests the Spurs' depth.

Damn, I wish I had a digital camera. Right now, on the corner of Crenshaw and Adams Blvd., there is a huge TNT billboard with Shaq, TD, and Nash.

Except for the LA All-Star game, I have never seen such a large image of Tim Duncan anywhere in Los Angeles.

GopherSA
06-07-2005, 01:50 AM
We'll be OK as long as we don't have to face that Unstoppable Force that is...Darko Milicic!

:lmao

milkyway21
06-07-2005, 01:56 AM
where did ben go? :loldamn, i didn't notice..and Malik, too! :lol

sorry Spurs fans.

Russ
06-07-2005, 02:24 AM
He sprained his left ankle against the Los Angeles Clippers on March 9, missed the final six games of the regular season and still wasn't completely healthy when the playoffs began.

I think he means April 9.

TDMVPDPOY
06-07-2005, 02:54 AM
those 6 extra fouls will come in handy rashow

milkyway21
06-07-2005, 02:58 AM
Rasho & Brent are JUST 1 series away from their dream-NBA ring :bling.

good decision leaving KG, Rasho.

SLOVENIAN 8
06-07-2005, 03:42 AM
kg will send a letter to rasho saying he is sorry for yelling at hime for all those years and he will end off by saying----i will give my last season's pay for that ring --28mill
:lmao :lmao :lmao

rwb
06-07-2005, 08:00 AM
I like Rasho, too, but Nazr has been a beast in the playoffs. I think I'd rather see him stay at the starting spot.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-07-2005, 08:14 AM
I like Rasho, I think he's a good guy, but I also think Nazr is doing better right now, and it would be dumb to take away his minutes and give them to an injured Rasho.

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 08:14 AM
Rasho is the best 2nd big off the bench in the league. :)

Honestly, I think Rasho can be quite useful in a series against the Pistons. He can take up space in the paint, challenge shots, and be a threat to knock down a couple of jumpers, enough to draw out whoever is helping TD's defender up front. If he spends most of his time going against 57 year old Elden Campbell it shouldn't be a problem for him to be productive.

SpizdiStrann
06-07-2005, 08:41 AM
rasho will come back huge in upcoming final games. i´m guite sure he will get something near 20 minutes every game.

ducks
06-07-2005, 08:55 AM
If Rasho Wants To Help Get Nazr Extended He Will Play Like Crap When Called

Supergirl
06-07-2005, 10:26 AM
Rasho and TMass will both get more minutes in this series.

So will Brown and Robinson, whose athleticism and offense will be a good counter to the Pistons.

I actually think it's the Spurs offense that will surprise the Pistons. Both teams are good defensively (the two best in the league) but the SPurs are MUCH MUCH better offensively.

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Rasho and TMass will both get more minutes in this series.

So will Brown and Robinson, whose athleticism and offense will be a good counter to the Pistons.

I actually think it's the Spurs offense that will surprise the Pistons. Both teams are good defensively (the two best in the league) but the SPurs are MUCH MUCH better offensively.

If Devin can contribute in this series that will be a huge boost for the Spurs. I'm hoping Billion Barry can step up but I remain skeptical. The opportunity is definitely there for Big Dog to make a difference in this series.

angel_luv
06-07-2005, 10:45 AM
[QUOTE
[I'll just try to fit in and not break our rhythm," Nesterovic said. "Do whatever I can do."
"He's been the same at practice as he's always been, positive and working hard," assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo said. "The hard part is the not playing. You lose your sharpness.

"Forget whether you're a starter or not, if you're a guy used to getting a regular 20, 25 minutes, to go games without playing and then all of a sudden get thrown in, that's an adjustment."

"It's pretty tough because it's something new for me," Nesterovic said. "But that's part of the life, part of the game. You must just get used to it and get stronger out of it."
"Whenever they need me," Nesterovic said, "I'm here."QUOTE]

I'm thrilled for Nazr's success; I just hate that Rasho had to struggle in the process. Talk about adding ( possible) insult to injury. Rasho gets no playing time while at the same time being bombarded with headlines describing his the brand new Nazr as the " center of attention."

I just love Rasho. He's irreplaceable- a true a class act. I'm super proud of him!

angel_luv
06-07-2005, 11:08 AM
Wow... I read the other posts with trembling without need. You guys weren't mean! Why????????

And, what is up with all the post with Detroit and Spurs fans existing in harmony? Have I unknowingly stumbled into some alternate universe? I'm a little scared. () = )

1Parker1
06-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Wow... I read the other posts with trembling without need. You guys weren't mean! Why????????

And, what is up with all the post with Detroit and Spurs fans existing in harmony? Have I unknowingly stumbled into some alternate universe? I'm a little scared. () = )

Rasho sucks. There....Welcome back to Earth :lol

angel_luv
06-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Oh my god, thank you! Hehehe!