PDA

View Full Version : Horry Should Guard Prince

mavsfan1000
06-07-2005, 01:05 AM
I saw many times in that Miami series that Tayshaun Prince is a decent post player so it would be a better matchup if you put Horry on him. Horry has the strength advantage and can stay in front of him. What do you think about this idea?

mavsfan1000
06-07-2005, 01:09 AM
Prince would post up Ginobili or Parker all day. Bowen has to guard Hamilton.

Kori Ellis
06-07-2005, 01:10 AM
Horry doesn't start and Prince does. So that's the fault in your logic. Or are you saying to start Horry instead of someone?

mattyc
06-07-2005, 01:10 AM
Prince's D is more of a problem to us.

mavsfan1000
06-07-2005, 01:14 AM
Glenn Robinson might fit well against Prince since he is stronger. Prince can play the low post and you can't underestimate that.

Sense
06-07-2005, 01:31 AM
Horry on prince is just plain stupid... for the same reason that Kori said, but also because they are totally different players with totally different contributions... that'd be a bad one.

timvp
06-07-2005, 01:36 AM
I don't think Horry will guard Prince much, but he'll be a mainstay on Rasheed Wallace. This'll be another series in which Horry finishes games.

It'll be even more deadly for the Spurs if the Pistons put Rasheed on Tim and have Horry camped out above the three-point line. That'll keep Ben from doubling easy.

mavsfan1000
06-07-2005, 01:52 AM
Who guards who?

Mohammad guards B. Wallace
Duncan guards R. Wallace
Bowen guards R. Hamilton
Ginobili guards T. Prince
Parker guards C. Billups
on the bench
Horry guards Mcdyess or R. Wallace
Barry or Robinson guards T. Prince
B. Udrih guards C. Arrojo or C. Billups

Sense
06-07-2005, 01:53 AM
Who guards who?

Duncan guards R. Wallace
Bowen guards R. Hamilton
Parker guards C. Billups
on the bench

Yes... finally you've made sense!

xcoriate
06-07-2005, 07:21 AM
Once upon a time you probably could have done well with Horry guarding Prince but hes lost a couple of steps and he would have no chance of staying in front of him and staying out of foul trouple.

^^ the baove list seems about right for me, but damn do we need a long 3

duncan_21
06-07-2005, 08:32 AM
Who guards who?

Duncan guards R. Wallace
Bowen guards R. Hamilton
Parker guards C. Billups
on the bench

I didn't watch either game. I believe you'll see
mohammad guards sheed
duncan guards ben
^ the above 2 at least for the start of the game. Neither team wants their star post player in foul trouble so vice versa for both

bowen guards hamilton
manu guards prince
parker guards billups

BTW
I'm not really worried about princes offense. More worried about hamilton and sheed. Horry is a better matchup with mcdyess and sheed.

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Horry on Prince would be a bad matchup for the Spurs. In spots, sure, it could work but you'd have to have 2 other bigs on the court to make that work and then you are moving away from your style of ball.

Xolotl
06-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Who guards who?

That is exactly right now while I will give Prince the edge in height and length (I mean seriously he has some long arms). I think it could be a wash if he has to guard Manu on defensive end. Manu will have a chance to get him in foul trouble if/when he drives to the basket.

The Mask
06-07-2005, 09:34 AM
That is exactly right now while I will give Prince the edge in height and length (I mean seriously he has some long arms). I think it could be a wash if he has to guard Manu on defensive end. Manu will have a chance to get him in foul trouble if/when he drives to the basket.

Prince had trouble guarding Wade. Look for Hamilton to guard Manu for the Pistons. Prince will guard Bowen and nullify the 3 with his long arms.

Xolotl
06-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Prince had trouble guarding Wade. Look for Hamilton to guard Manu for the Pistons. Prince will guard Bowen and nullify the 3 with his long arms.

I hope thats what they do for the exact same reason. Not taking anything away from Rip as a defender. But, I can't recally anybody being able to stay with Manu. It would be nice to get some quick fouls on him.

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 09:37 AM

If Hamilton is guarding Manu he is going to cough up a lung at the end of the 3rd...

The Mask
06-07-2005, 09:45 AM
If Hamilton is guarding Manu he is going to cough up a lung at the end of the 3rd...

Rip is in better or as good as shape. Unless you Spurs fans are such homer you think Manu is better than AI or Wade. The real question is if whoever is guarding Rip can follow him and defend the curl.

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Ginobili is just as athletic and deft as those guys or perhaps you are such a Pistons homer that you don't know about Ginobili's game. The problem for Detroit is if Hamilton is expected to ramp up his offensive game to score on the best defense in the NBA and defend Ginobili then he is going to be burned out quick.

The Mask
06-07-2005, 09:52 AM
Ginobili is just as athletic and deft as those guys or perhaps you are such a Pistons homer that you don't know about Ginobili's game. The problem for Detroit is if Hamilton is expected to ramp up his offensive game to score on the best defense in the NBA and defend Ginobili then he is going to be burned out quick.

You're wrong. I like Manu's game and he is a great player, but it is not like he is in better shape than Rip. Rip isn't expected to ramp up either, just take what's given. If he can't get going then the rest of the team are more than capable. If Manu and Duncan can't get going - where do the Spurs turn for offense?

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 09:53 AM
Again, you expect Hamilton to play score against the toughest defense in the NBA on a consistent basis and chase Ginobili around the court. Not gonna happen though I wish LBrown would try it.

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 09:55 AM
You're wrong. I like Manu's game and he is a great player, but it is not like he is in better shape than Rip. Rip isn't expected to ramp up either, just take what's given. If he can't get going then the rest of the team are more than capable. If Manu and Duncan can't get going - where do the Spurs turn for offense?

Here we go again, Hamilton is supposed to shut down Ginobili and light up the Spurs. Right. No way does Hamilton take on Bowen on the offense end and Ginobili on the defensive end and last.

If Hamilton and Billups can't score how are the Pistons supposed to put up points on the board? I've seen how Detroit has struggled offensively against some rather weak defenses during this season.

I like how it's expected that the Piston D can stop Manu and TD but somehow the best defense in the NBA is no problem for the Pistons' offense. Take off your homer colors and get a clue.

The Mask
06-07-2005, 09:58 AM
Here we go again, Hamilton is supposed to shut down Ginobili and light up the Spurs. Right.

If Hamilton and Billups can't score how are the Pistons supposed to put up points on the board? I've seen how Detroit has struggled offensively against some rather weak defenses during this season.

MIA and Ind are tough D's. SEA, PHX, and Den are not. Rip is not expected to score as much as you think. The key is Sheed. Sheed gets over 20- Pistons win. It is not like Ginobili is going to light up the Pistons.

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 10:02 AM
MIA and Ind are tough D's. SEA, PHX, and Den are not. Rip is not expected to score as much as you think. The key is Sheed. Sheed gets over 20- Pistons win. It is not like Ginobili is going to light up the Pistons.

Again, Detroit has faced nothing like the Spurs' D. If Hamilton can't put up the points or requires many more touches to do so who takes up the slack?

Look man, Detroit's offense is straight up weaker than the Spurs'.

The Mask
06-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Again, Detroit has faced nothing like the Spurs' D. If Hamilton can't put up the points or requires many more touches to do so who takes up the slack?

I disagree - the Spurs are a two man team. If Rip can't score Billups, Sheed, Dice, Prince are more than capable of picking up the slack. If Manu or Duncan can't score- who do the Spurs have? 85 year old Horry?

duncan_21
06-07-2005, 10:12 AM

That's funny an injured shaq/wade and ind w/out artest and oneal are better defensive teams then den and sea. Den and sea are very good defensive teams. I would wager a bet that sea/den would challenge the pistons to a 7/7 game series w/ the possiblity of beating det.

duncan_21
06-07-2005, 10:13 AM
I disagree - the Spurs are a two man team. If Rip can't score Billups, Sheed, Dice, Prince are more than capable of picking up the slack. If Manu or Duncan can't score- who do the Spurs have? 85 year old Horry?

parker, muhammad if you double off him, barry, bowen if you leave him open, udrih, and did I mention all star glenn robinson.

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 10:14 AM

Actually the Spurs are a 3 man team offensively. But of course you knew that.

Detroit will be hard pressed to get anything going inside so you can forget about Sheed, Prince, or Dice lighting them up. You can also forget about easy transition scores because you will be facing the best transition defense in the NBA.

If Detroit homers really believe this, the Palace is going to burn after the Spurs wrap this up in Game 5.

PistonskillSpurs
06-08-2005, 06:22 PM

How do you figure that? The Spurs offense has been against some of the weakest western conference defense on earth. You think the Spurs are going to score like they did against that pathetic Suns defense? Your offensive numbers are scewed because you have been playing terrible defenses.

Jeff

whottt
06-08-2005, 06:29 PM
The Nuggets played great D.

The Sonics played thug D by beating the crap out of our players like.....let's just say they reminded us of a back to back champion from the late 80's. Thugs.

whottt
06-08-2005, 06:33 PM
My .02

Horry on Prince is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard...Horry can't keep up with Prince...if he was 25 again he couldn't keep up with Prince.

I really wish the Spurs would put Bruce on Prince...

Everyone keeps mentioning Rip's numbers against us in the regular season...no one bothers to look at what Prince did to us...16ppg on 50% shooting and he pulled down about 8 boards per game...

That's much more harmful to us than Rip getting 18 PPG on 44% shooting. That's what we need to stop...

Bowen on Prince...Rip is not the second coming of Jordan....and it's Prince that can break down our D if not guarded properly...not Rip.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
06-08-2005, 06:54 PM
That's funny an injured shaq/wade and ind w/out artest and oneal are better defensive teams then den and sea. Den and sea are very good defensive teams. I would wager a bet that sea/den would challenge the pistons to a 7/7 game series w/ the possiblity of beating det.

Are we going to start making things up now?

Show me when Denver or Seattle's D has been better than Miami or Indy's D this year?? Oh right, just when the Spurs played them...

And Sparky keeps making this claim that the Pistons have never faced a D like the Spurs, which is complete horseshit. Indiana was a top 3 defensive team last year and a top 5 team this year. And Miami was a solid defensive team this year. Both Miami and Indy were top 10 in PPG allowed and FG% against.

So, the question you keep avoiding is, when have the Spurs faced a top tier defensive team like the Pistons? Like the Pacers? Heat?

jochhejaam
06-08-2005, 07:22 PM

IMHO I don't think Prince is likely to get into foul trouble, in the 100 games he's played in this year (82 reg season, 18 playoff) he only fouled out of 1 game (the 4th game of the season) and had 5 fouls in only 1 game, other than that he never had more than 4 in a game. Manu's hard to keep from getting to the basket, and I'm sure he'll get there often, that's where the Piston's hope to get some blocks from their atheletic long-armed front line or at least alter his shots.

I'm startin' to getted reallly pumped up for this series!! :D

jochhejaam
06-08-2005, 07:33 PM
parker, muhammad if you double off him, barry, bowen if you leave him open, udrih, and did I mention all star glenn robinson.

yes, you did mention glenn and you probably shouldn't have. The "big dog" is just that...he's a shell of the player he once was...

that would be like us pistons fans saying...and did I mention the number 2 player in the 2003 draft darko milicic...

neither one will be a factor