PDA

View Full Version : Initial Reaction: Spurs vs. Grizzlies - Game 1

timvp
04-17-2011, 03:32 PM
With Manu Ginobili sidelined with a sprained elbow, the Spurs and Grizzlies battled in one of the most physical playoff games in recent memory. After a late 13-2 run turned a seven-point deficit into a four-point Spurs lead, the Grizzlies punched back and scored the game's final seven points. The big hoop was a Shane Battier three-pointer that gave Memphis a one-point lead with 23 seconds remaining. Following the 101-98 defeat, the Spurs face a must-win in Game 2 on Wednesday -- hopefully with the help of Ginobili.

Tim Duncan
He scored 12 points in the first half but had only four points in the final two quarters. In the fourth, Duncan missed his only shot from the floor and both of his free throws. Based on his strong first half and his 13 rebounds and two blocks, I think think Duncan played well enough for the Spurs to win. Though more production late could have carried the Spurs over the hump.

Tony Parker
The Spurs needed Parker to play at a superstar level with Ginobili out. That simply didn't happen. He missed 12 of his 16 field goal attempts and just didn't seem to be totally confident in what he wanted to do. Parker deserves credit for playing tough and going to the line 16 times but the Spurs needed a lot more.

George Hill
Hill brought a good amount of energy on defense and did great work on the boards. He also got to the line and knocked down his freebies. Unfortunately, the rest of his offense didn't come close to making up for the absence of Ginobili. Hill was only 2-for-7 from the floor and missed all three of his shots from deep, including an important one late in the game.

Richard Jefferson
Jefferson came out strong and got the Spurs going on the right foot. After a lull in the second quarter, Jefferson revved back up in the second half with a handful of strong drives to the basket. All that said, Jefferson's night will be remembered for the wide open three-pointer that could have sent the game into overtime.

Antonio McDyess
This wasn't the beginning of the series McDyess wanted. He hit just one of his five shots and grabbed only one rebound in 13 minutes while turning the ball over twice and committing five fouls. Randolph bullied him below the rim to the point that Pop looked elsewhere for production at the power forward position.

Gary Neal
I thought Neal forced a few shots and broke the rhythm of the offense at times. However, I can't blame him for looking for his own shot because the ball movement was stagnant most of the game and that forced San Antonio into many desperate situations. He hit half of his four three-point attempts and played acceptable defense.

Matt Bonner
I was shocked. Bonner hit a pair of three-pointers down the stretch to put the Spurs up by two points with one and a half minutes to go. When he hoisted the shots, I was simply hoping for an offensive rebound. It's a shame that the Spurs wasted Bonner's first clutch shots of his playoff career.

DeJuan Blair
With McDyess struggling, Blair got extended minutes -- including a start in the second half. I thought he did decently well. He missed a number of interior shots and fouled too much but his energy on both ends was contagious. His defense against Randolph was surprisingly good, especially in the second half.

Pop
I thought he was crazy to go with Bonner down the stretch but it turned out to be the right move. I also liked that he wasn't afraid to use Blair next to Duncan when McDyess was struggling. On the other hand, the Spurs didn't have much success on plays Pop drew up during the game. Additionally, Pop not forcing the ball into Duncan late in the game was questionable.

Spurs Brazil
04-17-2011, 03:39 PM
Additionally, Pop not forcing the ball into Duncan late in the game was questionable.

This. The ball needed to go to TD with 40 secs to go. Instead we saw TP missing a weak J and Hill missing a wide open 3

xellos88330
The Grizzlies had a solid gameplan. You have 6 fouls, use them. It is the best way to disrupt a solid offense. Beat them up, make them earn every point. The game will also last longer, and the crowd will not affect the team as much due to all the stoppage in play. Pretty simple and the Grizz executed it very well.

The Spurs need to employ the same strategy. I mean hell, if you are going to allow a team to shoot over 50% from the field. Might as well make them earn them.

Mugen
Pop/TP cost us the game.

Not feeding Tim in the post in the 2nd half was dumb especially the way the game was being called and how TD played in the first half. Steady diet of Tim in the third and the 4th and Gasol is fouled out of that game.

I thought Pop should have started sending the double at Gasol/Randolph a lot earlier. He didn't double until late in the 4th. This team is at its best defensively when they are scrambling and rotating of double teams. Given Memphis' lack of adequate 3pt shooters, you have to force the ball out of the post and make them beat you from outside.

Parker was shit in the first half. He missed a lot of easy And 1s that he normally makes but that rotation off Battier cost us the game.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Pop
I thought he was crazy to go with Bonner down the stretch but it turned out to be the right move. I also liked that he wasn't afraid to use Blair next to Duncan when McDyess was struggling. On the other hand, the Spurs didn't have much success on plays Pop drew up during the game. Additionally, Pop not forcing the ball into Duncan late in the game was questionable.

Pop needs more criticism. Zach and Gasol killed our front line. 19-25 from the field and 23 combined rebounds.

Meanwhile, the only guy over 6'8" not named Tim Duncan got a DNP-CD (and please don't give me a response about Bonner being 6'10" - he plays like he's 5'10").

Amuseddaysleeper
04-17-2011, 03:41 PM
What adjustments can the Spurs make against the Randolph/Gasol frontline? Try to get them in foul trouble by continuing to attack the rim?

Nice to see initial reactions back :tu

HarlemHeat37
04-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Tim Duncan
He scored 12 points in the first half but had only four points in the final two quarters. In the fourth, Duncan missed his only shot from the floor and both of his free throws. Based on his strong first half and his 13 rebounds and two blocks, I think think Duncan played well enough for the Spurs to win. Though more production late could have carried the Spurs over the hump.

I don't think he played well enough..he certainly did in the 1st half, but he was non-existent in the 2nd half, and his D was poor(although the bad foul calls hurt him)..

Part of that is on Tim, a big part of that is on his teammates to look for him..they need to go to him more often, this team needs to continue their interior scoring..

Antonio McDyess
This wasn't the beginning of the series McDyess wanted. He hit just one of his five shots and grabbed only one rebound in 13 minutes while turning the ball over twice and committing five fouls. Randolph bullied him below the rim to the point that Pop looked elsewhere for production at the power forward position.

It's troubling that he can't consistently make the mid-range jump shot anymore..it used to be automatic..

Mugen
04-17-2011, 03:43 PM
What adjustments can the Spurs make against the Randolph/Gasol frontline? Try to get them in foul trouble by continuing to attack the rim?

1. More Splitter
2. Double teams early and often
3. TD on Randolph down the stretch. I don't think Gasol is going to play like that again so i think you could get away with Dice playing Gasol.

Whisky Dog
04-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Fuck me for thinking the team to still roll a scrub team like Memphis without Manu. I'm fucking pissed.

HarlemHeat37
04-17-2011, 03:44 PM

They are both poor defenders, so keep attacking them and getting them in foul trouble..

Gasol won't play like this again, but close out quicker on his catches..when he posts up, send help D, he can't handle a double team..he made some fluky shots today, tbh..a couple of jump shots, a push-off that the refs didn't call, and that fadeaway off the post-up..

Obviously, Splitter should play, but that won't happen..

Splits
04-17-2011, 03:47 PM
Tim missed both free throws during a crucial trip to the line in the 4th. I believe Hill also missed the front end of a pair as well. Those misses really killed us. And at the very end, Bonner was wide open as well as RJ... in hindsight, sure wish TD would have passed to the Red Rocket. All the talk about anti-clutchness on this board, Bonner hits b2b 3s in the clutch and RJ bricks a wide open 3 to send it to OT.

The Grizz got a bunch of fluke shots to go, got every roll, and every break. They can't play much better than they did.

Mugen
Pop also needs to realize that DeJuan has no business getting any minutes in this series.

ColinB
Gasol had a really nice game. I can't really remember him having a long range jumpshot. Has he always had that?

NewJerSpur
04-17-2011, 03:48 PM
This. The ball needed to go to TD with 40 secs to go. Instead we saw TP missing a weak J and Hill missing a wide open 3

Can't fault Hill for taking the 3 at the end of the game, Tony's jumpers on the other hand were a different story, especially when he was getting to the line at one point with regularity.

It was strange that with Manu being out they didn't run more sets involving Tim, even on a screen-n-roll of some sort or having him operate off of pics from the FT line, he was owning from there early on.

Holden_Caulfield
04-17-2011, 03:49 PM
i hope the lakers lose today. i live in cali.

El Contusion II
04-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Richard Jefferson
Jefferson came out strong and got the Spurs going on the right foot. After a lull in the second quarter, Jefferson revved back up in the second half with a handful of strong drives to the basket. All that said, Jefferson's night will be remembered for the wide open three-pointer that could have sent the game into overtime.

A microgosim of his whole season, started stong and finishes weak.

NewJerSpur
04-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Pop also needs to realize that DeJuan has no business getting any minutes in this series.

He's got pretty good/active hands on defense, battles on the boards and bails out guys down low who get stuck during moments of indecision by continuing to dive to the basket and present himself as a target....he still rushes things offensively though.

Ice009
04-17-2011, 03:52 PM
I don't think he played well enough..he certainly did in the 1st half, but he was non-existent in the 2nd half, and his D was poor(although the bad foul calls hurt him)..

Part of that is on Tim, a big part of that is on his teammates to look for him..they need to go to him more often, this team needs to continue their interior scoring..

It's troubling that he can't consistently make the mid-range jump shot anymore..it used to be automatic..

It seems to me that there is some kind of pressure playing for the Spurs. On any other team MsDyess probably is making shots with consistency.

Spurs7794
04-17-2011, 03:53 PM
It seems to me that there is some kind of pressure playing for the Spurs. On any other team MsDyess probably is making shots with consistency.

Or he was just bad today. He was clutch against Dallas with that jumper last year.

Nathan89
04-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Two comments-

Neal should have been in the game at the end instead of Hill.

Pop will hit the tapes hard and look like a fucking genius next game.

Spurs Brazil
04-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Hill and RJ missed clutch shots but they did a good job on the boards. RJ had 6, Hill had 7.

Blair/Dice/Bonner had 11

Spurs Brazil
04-17-2011, 03:55 PM
I think Hill played solid. Too bad he missed that open 3

coachmac87
04-17-2011, 03:57 PM
I did like the Spurs gameplan though...Attack...Attack...Attack. But they gotta mix up TD touches in 2nd half as well. Memphis will be good for us down the playoff road, due to the size that OKC and LA brings as well.

Memphis played the best game they could and we played without Manu. Just keep attacking and hope one of the bigs (Z-BO) gets in foul trouble, because if he does Memphis offense will sputter.

ElNono
04-17-2011, 03:59 PM
We did well for not having Manu... but Memphis is a team you should have no problem beating at home if you're truly a contender, even with one of your big 3 out...

Unfortunately, the Spurs didn't adjust to the team they were playing against. Going in everybody knew Memphis' size was their strength... you can't throw out there Bonner/Blair against them...

Onto game 2...

Chomag
04-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Pop is going to have to get over himself and play Splitter, or else the Gizz front line is going to kill them everytime,

Dartherus
04-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Without Manu, these Spurs seem watered down. In former playoffs it was seen also.
Manu is FAR MORE that what is seen in boxscores.

objective
04-17-2011, 04:03 PM
The loss in mostly on the starting backcourt. Parker and Hill going 6-23 is hard to overcome. Parker wasn't even useful as a playmaker until the 2nd half.

timtonymanu
04-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Other than RJ's missed 3, I think he did pretty well considering he likes to disappear.

Hill was ok too. I wish he would have shot better but his D was good.

Parker and McDyess were terrible.

Bonner/Blair weren't half bad, but I still don't like seeing them play together.

Timmy was amazing but he was probably gassed by the 2nd half because he was the only one trying out there.

Neal is already better than RMJ in the playoffs. Wish he didn't jack up so many shots, but at least the effort was there.

objective
04-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Matt Bonner
I was shocked. Bonner hit a pair of three-pointers down the stretch to put the Spurs up by two points with one and a half minutes to go. When he hoisted the shots, I was simply hoping for an offensive rebound. It's a shame that the Spurs wasted Bonner's first clutch shots of his playoff career.

what about the other 23 minutes?

Not dismissing his shots, but every other player got a kind of 'whole game' review.

polandprzem
04-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Manu would not change that much

The problem is somewhere else ...

coachmac87
04-17-2011, 04:07 PM
The loss in mostly on the starting backcourt. Parker and Hill going 6-23 is hard to overcome. Parker wasn't even useful as a playmaker until the 2nd half.

Yeah we didnt' shoot well on but at least they kept attacking. Which I think will be key for the Spurs not just this series but for the entire playoff run.

temujin
04-17-2011, 04:15 PM
I get the feeling Popovich is soon going to join Jerry Sloan as a great (ex) coach.

ploto
04-17-2011, 04:20 PM
what about the other 23 minutes?

Not dismissing his shots, but every other player got a kind of 'whole game' review.

Agree. Just because he made 2 shots does not necessarily make him the right choice. What about what happened on the other end while he was in the game.

The biggest problem is now Pop will play him too much every game.

mytespurs
04-17-2011, 04:21 PM
i hope the lakers lose today. i live in cali.
I live in so cal too and we know that ain't happening so 'imnot going 2 concern myself w/the lakeshow-my focus is on. Spurs & better result nxt game-hope 4 win

remingtonbo2001
04-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Spurs lack of interior defense is discouraging, in addition to a perimeter defensive stopper. Our ball movement was sloppy. That being said we were still on the game.

I'd be shocked if the Spurs win the championship, let alone make it to the Finals. However we should win this series.

LongtimeSpursFan
04-17-2011, 04:23 PM
Other than RJ's missed 3, I think he did pretty well considering he likes to disappear.

I was at the game and was really impressed by his defense and energy on the court. Dont rememeber his final stats but I believe it was like 13 points and 7 rebounds. This stat line may not be indicative of what his overall game. If this is what we can expect this year we are in great shape. Lets not let his final miss negate his contributions.

Bonner/Blair weren't half bad, but I still don't like seeing them play together.

Bonner played well. Sure Randolph and Gasol got some great production but they always do. Randolph is a 20-10 guy. No one can stop him. But I thought that both Bonner and Blair really made Randolph work on the offensive side getting shots and Randolph was on the floor several times due to Blair/Bonner defensive efforts. My only concern was Blair inability to finish close to the rim.

angelbelow
04-17-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm not too surprised by Bonner. His job is to hit those 3s, hes finally doing after struggling mostly after the allstar break. Good for him and good for us, I hope he keeps it up. Although I would be equally not surprised if he chokes from this point forward.

Biggest problem now is stopping Gasol and Zach, or limiting them more so than today.

DPG21920
04-17-2011, 04:26 PM
I kind of agree with the sentiment of just because Matt Bonner hit shots, doesn't make it the right decision. That would be like saying because Manu got hurt in that last game means it was the wrong decision by Pop to play them.

Spurminator
04-17-2011, 04:30 PM
I hated the shot selection once we got the lead, and on the last play. It's a hard loss to stomach but I still think if the Spurs play anywhere close to the level they're capable of, the Grizzlies will be done in 5 or 6.

eisfeld
04-17-2011, 04:31 PM
It was painful to watch the Game. Duncan played well in the first half. In the second He wasn't involved enough on the Offensive end. Parker, although He got to the line offen which was the reason they stayed in the game, was the reason they lost. Absolutely terrible Ball movement - there was no Chance for His teammates to get in any kind of rythm. Grizzlies deserved that one.

urunobili
04-17-2011, 04:33 PM

Stop smoking crack please

pjjrfan
04-17-2011, 04:37 PM
He's got pretty good/active hands on defense, battles on the boards and bails out guys down low who get stuck during moments of indecision by continuing to dive to the basket and present himself as a target....he still rushes things offensively though.

Blair has no basket ball sense. He's got phenomenal talent but he doesn't do things to impact games especially big games. His biggest assets his girth and strength are wasted the guy insists on being a finesse player. He has a bangers body but hardly ever uses it, he was more aggressive last year this season he has gone away from his strengths. I would have liked to see Splitter instead.

Brazil
04-17-2011, 04:40 PM
No need to make some big deep analysis

Rand+Mayo(who usually sucks ass in O) 49 pts, Grizz 55% FG / Tiago Splitter DNP CD

/thread and game

benefactor
04-17-2011, 04:43 PM
The Spurs were last in the league at defending the 3pt line...and a late three beat them. They also tried to win late by shooting 3s...and that philosophy beat them.

This has been going on all year. I don't know why anyone is surprised.

pjjrfan
04-17-2011, 04:44 PM
But in this game Blair wasn't the difference it was Tony's lack of trust in his teammates, he goes in a 10 pt lead in the 3rd and shoots like 5 straight times, he got to the line but didn't finish, missed ft's, and then he just missed and the 10 pt lead vanished. Hill was no better both of our pt guards took Neal out of his game, there was a reason why Neal started jacking up shots the times he was open he never got the ball, it's frustrating to have Tony dribble out the clock and not involed anyone else, then players get anxious and press and do things not conducive to winning,

Cane
04-17-2011, 04:51 PM
If there's a person to blame it'd be Tony Parker. He just couldn't finish around the rim which starts a slippery slope of bad news: the floor spacing is off if the Grizz don't have to focus on Tony's drives, less foul trouble for Memphis, and easy points in transition for Memphis since Tony is out of the play defensively after most of his missed layup attempts. I can't believe Tony attempted that jumper late in the 4th...it was wide open but he had plenty of space and time to do more.

However Marc Gasol looked like a HOF version of a heavyweight Pau Gasol out there so there's plenty of blame to go around. Spurs are going to have to adjust accordingly and fuck the clock operator...Memphis shouldn't have had 3 of their points :cry

Brazil
04-17-2011, 04:52 PM
But in this game Blair wasn't the difference it was Tony's lack of trust in his teammates, he goes in a 10 pt lead in the 3rd and shoots like 5 straight times, he got to the line but didn't finish, missed ft's, and then he just missed and the 10 pt lead vanished. Hill was no better both of our pt guards took Neal out of his game, there was a reason why Neal started jacking up shots the times he was open he never got the ball, it's frustrating to have Tony dribble out the clock and not involed anyone else, then players get anxious and press and do things not conducive to winning,

:lmao:lmao so to sum up we lost because TP doesn't trust his team mates:lmao

1Parker1
04-17-2011, 04:52 PM
Meh, Tony was horrible except for the 3rd quarter...if he has a better all around game, this could have easily been won despite Spurs getting owned in the paint by Z-Bo and Gasol and allowing the Grizz to shoot 55% from the field :wow

:pctoss Nonetheless, that is not the way a 61 win team should be playing an 8th seed in the first game in the playoffs. 55% shooting?!

The Truth #6
04-17-2011, 05:00 PM
The Spurs were last in the league at defending the 3pt line...and a late three beat them. They also tried to win late by shooting 3s...and that philosophy beat them.

That's true. The 3 pointer defines this team. Live and die by it.

The Truth #6
04-17-2011, 05:04 PM
After this game I'm beginning to wonder who, at this moment, is the best player in the series. It might be Zach Randolph, crazy as that sounds.

Brazil
04-17-2011, 05:10 PM
You know when the last time Marc fucking Gasol scored more than 20 pts ? It was Feb, 26th against the queens !

Now over 81 games he played this season he scored 3 times over 20 pts, one against the queens, one against the bucks and one against the suns November 5th

:vomit:

pjjrfan
04-17-2011, 05:12 PM

It wasn't the only reason but in my view it was the main reason.

maddnezz
04-17-2011, 05:12 PM
:lmao:lmao so to sum up we lost because TP doesn't trust his team mates:lmaoI usualy agree with you Brazil 95 % of the time, but in clutch time TP dosent trust anyone except Tim or Manu or himself. Hell I could google Tp passing to other teamates other then the big 2 and would get maybe 5 instances tops. And I'll bet money on it! That's just who he is. Awards and accolades do that to some people especialy if the media focuses on your contemparies more than you. Human nature.:toast

pjjrfan
04-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Basketball is about playing as a team, and the pt. guard is crucial in getting everyone involved, you come in with a 10 pt lead and some momentum and you decide you have to take the next 5 shots and your teammates are just watching the lead dissappear.. Tony has to be smarter.

itzsoweezee
04-17-2011, 05:17 PM

to sum up, we lost because parker was shit.

pjjrfan
04-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Gasol kept getting good position down low especially in the 2nd half, but the guy isn't going to do this on a consistent level, he will however defend, rebound and be a prescense in the paint pretty much on a regular basis.

ManuBalboa
04-17-2011, 05:20 PM
Why does Bonner get credit for knocking down two 3's when he is a liability for the rest of the game. Wake up spurfan.

Brazil
04-17-2011, 05:21 PM
I usualy agree with you Brazil 95 % of the time, but in clutch time TP dosent trust anyone except Tim or Manu or himself. Hell I could google Tp passing to other teamates other then the big 2 and would get maybe 5 instances tops. And I'll bet money on it! That's just who he is. Awards and accolades do that to some people especialy if the media focuses on your contemparies more than you. Human nature.:toast

I'm honestly not in a mood to answer you. Even if true we didn't loose because of that. I'm pretty sure loosing has something to do with rand+gas 49 pts grizz 55% FG but you know thats just me you know

temujin
04-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Jerry Sloan, Gregg Popovich and Phil Jackson, gone, going, going.

Brazil
04-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Gasol kept getting good position down low especially in the 2nd half, but the guy isn't going to do this on a consistent level, he will however defend, rebound and be a prescense in the paint pretty much on a regular basis.

81 rs games gasol +20 pts games = 3 so no he usually didn't score that much but you know he has bonner guarding him so he will hit a season high 25 pts next game

Spurs Brazil
04-17-2011, 05:24 PM
TP made a pass to a wide open Hill in the end and Hill missed

TP made the pass for the 1st Bonner 3

Obstructed_View
04-17-2011, 05:26 PM
It's amazing. You think that Pop can't suddenly find a way to fundamentally change the Spurs enough to fuck them up, but he always does.

Pop had his best player out of the game, and ran the exact same game plan as if he were starting. The offense went through George Hill for all but the third quarter, and it was terrible. With Hill and Parker on the floor at the same time, Parker should have the ball 90 percent of the time. Instead Hill stood 30 feet away from the basket dribbling while Pop yelled at him and Parker camped out in the corner. There's no fucking way this should happen. They started going through Parker in the third quarter and I told my wife that Parker would score 12 points before he was done. Too bad Pop loves to make adjustments against his own players.

Additionally, is there any situation where Pop doesn't like to double-team the ball? I swear to god I thought Scott Drew was somewhere on the sideline with that crappy Keystone Kops defense chasing everyone around.

Finally, the Spurs made an effort to be a running team this season, pushing the ball on turnovers and missed shots. They then wait until the playoffs start against a really good defensive team to slow the tempo down and try to grind it out against a far bigger more physical front line.

Anyone that blames Parker for playing badly needs their head examined. Parker can't very well go steal the ball from his own teammate to run the offensive plays or push the ball when the coach is waving for him to slow down. This game should have been Parker's time to establish himself as the best player on the floor and carve up the defense. He had those opportunities taken away from him.

The other problems are pretty obvious, and don't require much mention from here. The three at the end of the quarter shouldn't have counted. Credit the Spurs' timekeeper for not starting the clock on time. No way they could get that far down the court and get that shot in 2.8 seconds.

Obstructed_View
04-17-2011, 05:27 PM
TP made a pass to a wide open Hill in the end and Hill missed

TP made the pass for the 1st Bonner 3

Nearly every time Parker was allowed to run the offense, something good happened, either a good shot for someone, a trip to the line or a basket. Unfortunately Pop chose his favorite player over his best player. Again.

Mal
04-17-2011, 05:28 PM
My reaction is simple. Fuck

da_suns_fan
04-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Tony Parker
The Spurs needed Parker to play at a superstar level with Ginobili out. That simply didn't happen. He missed 12 of his 16 field goal attempts and just didn't seem to be totally confident in what he wanted to do. Parker deserves credit for playing tough and going to the line 16 times but the Spurs needed a lot more.

Youre giving him too much credit.

He made TWO bonehead plays in the final 45 seconds that probably cost the Spurs the game.

The egoistic frenchie wants to be considered one of the best point guards, but when's he going to grow up?

That shot he took with 30 seconds left was terrible.

DPG21920
04-17-2011, 05:43 PM
Was Parker the only reason they lost? No. But he had a terrible game considering the moment and what they needed. Regardless of Manu being out, if you are a top player on your team, you have to step up. Not only did he not do that, but he played below what he normally does.

But you have to give all the credit to Memphis. They do what they do best and they did it better than the Spurs. It wasn't like TP or the Spurs were missing easy things all game. Memphis flat out harassed them on both ends. They forced TP to play this poorly.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-17-2011, 05:44 PM

As long as we keep trotting Bonner or Blair out there against a guy that big in Gasol, he's going to continue to get that kind of position.

Josepatches_
04-17-2011, 05:47 PM
You know when the last time Marc fucking Gasol scored more than 20 pts ? It was Feb, 26th against the queens !

Now over 81 games he played this season he scored 3 times over 20 pts, one against the queens, one against the bucks and one against the suns November 5th

:vomit:

Gasol had a bad year in the offensive end but:
1)he played less minutes per game
2)he can't shoot a lot playing with Rand/Gay/Mayo/Conley.... there is only one ball

Gasol was at 15ppg 58% FG in 2009/2010.

Playing against Bonner/Blair he could average 16/18 ppg easily. Surely he only scored 20 points 3 times this season but it doesn't mean that he can't do it more times.

This year TD didn't have a lot of games scoring 20+ but it's not a surprise if he scores 25.

You can't say who good is someone looking only the stats.

DPG21920
04-17-2011, 05:49 PM
I fully expect TP to bounce back, but make no mistake, this is a tough series for him because of how MEM plays defense.

Obstructed_View
04-17-2011, 05:50 PM
I fully expect TP to bounce back, but make no mistake, this is a tough series for him because of how Pop runs the offense.

Spurs Brazil
04-17-2011, 06:25 PM
Five quick thoughts: Scrambling last possession shows Manu’s absence, value
Posted on April 17, 2011 at 5:40 pm by Tim Griffin

The Grizzlies did an admirable job taking Tim Duncan away after all of the early success the Spurs captain had early in the game. It looked like vintage Duncan early in the game when he scored 12 points and grabbed seven rebounds in the first half. Duncan then added a layup and a dunk on the first four possessions of the second half. After that, he didn’t get his next shot until 8:04 left in the game. And he didn’t shoot again after that play. If the Spurs are going to win the series, they have to make Zach Randolph and Gasol work more on the defensive end to go along with their offense. Getting Duncan into the flow of the game like he was in the first half will be critical.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/04/17/five-quick-thoughts-scrambling-last-possession-shows-manus-absence-value/

Spurs Brazil
04-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Can someone explain why TD had only 3FGA in the 2nd half after his great play in thw 1st half and also with Manu out??? In the 2nd half, Blair and Neal had more FGA than TD

Warlord23
04-17-2011, 06:28 PM
As the Hornets showed today, size of any kind makes a difference, especially in grind-it-out playoff games. Unfortunately the Spurs are devoid of it outside of Timmy.

gameFACE
04-17-2011, 06:30 PM
If the Grizzlies can win games without Rudy Gay, let alone a playoff game, the Spurs should be able to muster up a win without Manu.

Obstructed_View
04-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Can someone explain why TD had only 3FGA in the 2nd half after his great play in thw 1st half and also with Manu out??? In the 2nd half, Blair and Neal had more FGA than TD

:pop:

mingus
04-17-2011, 06:40 PM

This. It was unbelievable. Pop ran the high screen 90% of the time. I would've liked a concerted effort to get the ball inside.

DPG21920
04-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Also, why didn't Tim play 40+ minutes?

Obstructed_View
04-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Also, why didn't Tim play 40+ minutes?

He had three fouls.

DPG21920
04-17-2011, 07:01 PM
He had three fouls.

:lol

pgardn
04-17-2011, 07:05 PM

Agreed.

Couple of problems. The Grizz guards fouled us before we could get to them, and we missed a whole lot of FT's. And... if you want to get the big men in foul trouble from the perimeter, Ginobili is your man. He can make them foul on both ends, something Parker is not willing to do on one end.

The result of this game was not a shocker.

It will be really interesting to see if Splitter gets a go if McDyess is this bad again.

Obstructed_View
04-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Agreed.

Couple of problems. The Grizz guards fouled us before we could get to them, and we missed a whole lot of FT's. And... if you want to get the big men in foul trouble from the perimeter, Ginobili is your man. He can make them foul on both ends, something Parker is not willing to do on one end.

The result of this game was not a shocker.

It will be really interesting to see if Splitter gets a go if McDyess is this bad again.

One little problem: Parker likely drew more fouls than anyone in the league this weekend despite having the reigns of the offense inexplicably taken away from him for 36 minutes.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-17-2011, 07:51 PM
I specifically did not watch this game because I KNEW we'd lose it just like 2003 vs Phoenix, and 2005 and 2007 vs Denver. It's a tradition for the Spurs to lose the first game of the playoffs. I should've bet my house on it! :lol

Brazil
04-17-2011, 07:53 PM
I specifically did not watch this game because I KNEW we'd lose it just like 2003 vs Phoenix, and 2005 and 2007 vs Denver. It's a tradition for the Spurs to lose the first game of the playoffs. I should've bet my house on it! :lol

you're the wisest guy around here, ruff that was bad very bad

Sean Cagney
04-17-2011, 07:56 PM

Early Sunday game too, we are never good on those. They set us up to lose today I tell ya :ihit:rollin

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-17-2011, 08:02 PM
you're the wisest guy around here, ruff that was bad very bad

Yeah, I'm glad I didn't watch it because if I saw how poorly we played I'd probably be worried right now. Instead, I'm thinking about how the team came out in each game 2 of those years and played their hearts out. I think Tim, Tony and Manu thrive under a bit of adversity, but the real test is whether the youngsters will be able to step up and show some toughness under the hammering the Grizz are going to put them through.

pgardn
04-17-2011, 08:04 PM
One little problem: Parker likely drew more fouls than anyone in the league this weekend despite having the reigns of the offense inexplicably taken away from him for 36 minutes.

I will restate: Most of the fouls he got were not on their bigs. Of course he can draw fouls as well as anyone in the league. Its getting to the bigs that was of concern. It did not work out today as he was mugged on the run on the perimeter. Their bigs did a decent job of laying off.

Ginobili will double and offer his face to a big to hit on D. Parker's nose is not large enough and his face is too pretty for this method on the defensive end.

rmt
04-17-2011, 08:05 PM
If this is the pace of all the games in the series, Spurs are in trouble. For all the stuff Pop's spouting about continuing the way they were the whole season, exactly how many fast break points were there? Maybe 1 early in the game that I can recall.

Parker seemed like he was sleepwalking the whole 1st half. Why didn't they go to TD in the 2nd half - he played so well in the first. I don't care if Bonner hits 2 3s in a row. He was invisible in the game other than that. Pop needs to put Splitter on Randolph else he's going to manhandle everyone except TD.

DAF86
04-17-2011, 08:11 PM
Would you support a "No Bonner/Blair frontcourt" petition thread?

Brazil
04-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Would you support a "No Bonner/Blair frontcourt" petition thread?

I'd support a fire pop thread

Capt Bringdown
04-17-2011, 08:17 PM
The Spurs haven't been the same since the Laker 30-point beatdown. It takes guts to be a champion and this team doesn't have it.

Obstructed_View
04-17-2011, 08:23 PM
I will restate: Most of the fouls he got were not on their bigs. Of course he can draw fouls as well as anyone in the league. Its getting to the bigs that was of concern. It did not work out today as he was mugged on the run on the perimeter. Their bigs did a decent job of laying off.

Ginobili will double and offer his face to a big to hit on D. Parker's nose is not large enough and his face is too pretty for this method on the defensive end.

That's the most retarded line of logic I've ever seen. Parker drew lots of fouls but they were on the wrong people? So how exactly do we know that he's unwilling to do it against the bigs? :lol

pgardn
04-17-2011, 08:31 PM
That's the most retarded line of logic I've ever seen. Parker drew lots of fouls but they were on the wrong people? So how exactly do we know that he's unwilling to do it against the bigs? :lol

The observation was Parker did NOT get the fouls TODAY on the bigs. The reasoning for Ginobili getting fouls drawn on the bigs is his willingness to give up his body (many call it flopping) on D. Ginobili is very good at drawing offensive fouls on bigs when they reverse pivot while posted.

Is the view still obstructed?

Obstructed_View
04-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Manu doesn't draw offensive fouls on bigs, Splitter does.

DPG21920
04-17-2011, 08:47 PM
I really don't get why Tim only played 36 minutes. Against this fierce front court, Tim obviously has to average 40+. The fouls were not an issue at all. This isn't the regular season. This is why you managed minutes all year. Let him f*cking play.

Brazil
04-17-2011, 08:49 PM
I really don't get why Tim only played 36 minutes. Against this fierce front court, Tim obviously has to average 40+. The fouls were not an issue at all. This isn't the regular season. This is why you managed minutes all year. Let him f*cking play.

yeah but 36 mn keeping an eye an two bigs thats equivalent at 48 mn ... meanwhile bonner spreads the floor

DPG21920
04-17-2011, 08:50 PM
yeah but 36 mn keeping an eye an two bigs thats equivalent at 48 mn ... meanwhile bonner spreads the floor

Don't try and make me laugh; I am inconsolable at the moment.

Brazil
04-17-2011, 08:52 PM
Don't try and make me laugh; I am inconsolable at the moment.

if you think about it I'm pretty sure bonner is still spreading the floor on the locker room

pgardn
04-17-2011, 08:53 PM
Manu doesn't draw offensive fouls on bigs, Splitter does.

Manu is very good at drawing offensive fouls on bigs off the double.

It is very difficult to draw offensive fouls while on the bench. I expect Ginobili to be off it before Splitter.

Brazil
04-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Manu is very good at drawing offensive fouls on bigs off the double.

It is very difficult to draw offensive fouls off the bench. I expect Ginobili to be off it before Splitter.

am I the only one to be lost with the pgardn posts ?

Obstructed_View
04-17-2011, 09:01 PM
am I the only one to be lost with the pgardn posts ?

No, you aren't. I have no idea how Manu draws offensive fouls while double teaming someone, nor do I understand how Parker somehow lacks courage because he only draws two dozen fouls on one end of the floor.

pgardn
04-17-2011, 09:11 PM
No, you aren't. I have no idea how Manu draws offensive fouls while double teaming someone, nor do I understand how Parker somehow lacks courage because he only draws two dozen fouls on one end of the floor.

Parker is a normal person. He does not like his body trampled. Ginobili is not. He draws fouls on both ends. And on D, it hurts. Please tell me the last time you saw Parker purposely stepping in on a big man to draw an offensive foul?

Splitter drawing any type of foul, except a technical on himself, is impossible while on the bench.

Next...

Splits
04-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Parker is a normal person. He does not like his body trampled. Ginobili is not. He draws fouls on both ends. And on D, it hurts. Please tell me the last time you saw Parker purposely stepping in on a big man to draw an offensive foul?

Splitter drawing any type of foul, except a technical on himself, is impossible while on the bench.

Next...

Wow, I want some of what he's smokin...

Arc
04-17-2011, 09:31 PM

Next...

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

GrandeDavid
04-17-2011, 09:34 PM

And here I am, a fan since 1989, and I got duped into betting all my vBookie cash on a 6+ point win thinking this run would be different. will I ever learn? Probably not.

jjktkk
04-17-2011, 09:34 PM
The observation was Parker did NOT get the fouls TODAY on the bigs. The reasoning for Ginobili getting fouls drawn on the bigs is his willingness to give up his body (many call it flopping) on D. Ginobili is very good at drawing offensive fouls on bigs when they reverse pivot while posted.

Is the view still obstructed?

Its never cleared tbh.

Solid D
04-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Gut-wrenching game to watch. With all of the missed Free Throws (11) and missed layups/finishes around the basket, you could see the Spurs were making the game wayyyy to difficult to win.

If the game plan is to get to the line, then you make them pay and you do your best to finish plays.

Obstructed_View
04-17-2011, 09:39 PM
Its never cleared tbh.

You picked an appropriate person to gang up with. He's practically your soulmate. :lol

DPG21920
04-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Solid D, what is your take on Tim's minutes?

pjjrfan
04-17-2011, 09:41 PM
The refs don't give Tony the same respect as other players like Rose or Wade or even Paul. I will never question Tony's toughness or courage on the floor, I rag on him because of his decision making, but don't underestimate his talents, if he was finishing in today's game we would have probably won and he would have been the main reason, but he was off and Tony sometimes won't make an adjustment to offset what the Defense does to him. As far as taking charges, I don't think that's something that Tony has to worry about when he has other defenders who are good at that.

pgardn
04-17-2011, 09:43 PM
what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Other people listened and you heard...

Ok then. I cannot help you with auditory hallucinations.

pgardn
04-17-2011, 09:47 PM
The refs don't give Tony the same respect as other players like Rose or Wade or even Paul. I will never question Tony's toughness or courage on the floor, I rag on him because of his decision making, but don't underestimate his talents, if he was finishing in today's game we would have probably won and he would have been the main reason, but he was off and Tony sometimes won't make an adjustment to offset what the Defense does to him. As far as taking charges, I don't think that's something that Tony has to worry about when he has other defenders who are good at that.

That may be true.

Personally I would get POed at him if he did try the things Ginobili does. We need him badly. Parker almost single-handedly got us into the playoffs 2 years back.

Solid D
04-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Solid D, what is your take on Tim's minutes?

36 minutes were fine for Timmy in a playoff game. What was disappointing is seeing such a poor contribution from a rested Antonio McDyess.

DPG21920
04-17-2011, 09:53 PM
You don't think that Tim, against this front line, needs to be at 40+ minutes? 36 minutes seems extremely low for a playoff game, especially one they lost.

Obstructed_View
04-17-2011, 09:53 PM
He was turrible. Actually, the Spurs have pretty much been shit since he was put in the starting lineup.

DPG21920
04-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Maybe my "Blair starting thread" was premonition.

pgardn
04-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Gut-wrenching game to watch. With all of the missed Free Throws (11) and missed layups/finishes around the basket, you could see the Spurs were making the game wayyyy to difficult to win.

If the game plan is to get to the line, then you make them pay and you do your best to finish plays.

Exactly what I felt like.

Blair was awful on putbacks. In this kind of game we have to have those.

What has happened to Blair around the basket. First half of the season he was using his body extremely well and getting shots off quickly on putbacks.

GrandeDavid
04-17-2011, 09:58 PM

Excellent point.

Obstructed_View
04-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Maybe my "Blair starting thread" was premonition.

Maybe. I'm too lazy to go look it up, but Blair's been just as bad as Dice defensively and he puts up even weaker shit than Splitter does around the basket. Why he tried to draw that charge standing right under the basket I'll never know.

jjktkk
04-17-2011, 10:04 PM
You picked an appropriate person to gang up with. He's practically your soulmate. :lol

A gang? I need to come up with some gang signs. :lol

da_suns_fan
04-17-2011, 10:16 PM

1) The 2003 Suns won on two miracle threes.

2) Theres no Bowen here. No Horry. No Barry. This team is much closer to the team Phoenix swept last year than any of those championship seasons.

Ive said for years Ginobili was the Spurs' MVP. Without him, theyre just very beatable. Duncan might have been good enough to carry a Manu-less team back in in 2003, but not now.

Take solace that Manu will come back. Comparing this team to any of those teams is a bit of a stretch though.

TDMVPDPOY
04-17-2011, 10:25 PM

2) Theres no Bowen here. No Horry. No Barry. This team is much closer to the team Phoenix swept last year than any of those championship seasons.

Ive said for years Ginobili was the Spurs' MVP. Without him, theyre just very beatable. Duncan might have been good enough to carry a Manu-less team back in in 2003, but not now.

Take solace that Manu will come back. Comparing this team to any of those teams is a bit of a stretch though.

wait a minute, you trying to imply something thats horseshit?

Solid D
04-17-2011, 11:00 PM
The last 1:05 of the game, the Spurs were outscored 7-0. Even though the Spurs went on a 10-0 stretch just prior to the last minutes of play, it has become a sick and disheartening trend of blowing leads late in games. Missing one of the Big 3 is part of that trend, but you would think smart play-making, or at least getting to the FT line would be a part of the scheme.

I look forward to giving the ball to Tim and Manu in the last 2 minutes of games and let them make the right plays to win.

Mugen
04-17-2011, 11:06 PM
I look forward to giving the ball to Tim and Manu in the last 2 minutes of games and let them make the right plays to win.

I still think TP has the best matchup to exploit in this series. I understand Manu is the closer on this team but I don't know how he's going to fare against Tony Allen especially if hes less than a 100%....

TP had some dumb mistakes in the clutch today but I think he's going to step his play up. He missed a lot of easy shots that he normally sticks. I look for him to have a huge Game 2.

carina_gino20
04-17-2011, 11:13 PM
- This needs to be Tony's series. Although he got to the line alot, I don't think he ran the Spurs' offense very well (or maybe he didn't have enough chance as others have pointed out Hill doing PG duties)..

- Splitter needs to see some significant playing time. Come on, Pop. At the very least, he's six fouls to give. It was laughable how Pop wouldn't budge even when Blair and Dice were at 5 fouls apiece. Although he might get the rookie treatment, he's still very good at drawing fouls and I think he has the quickness to keep one of their bigs in check.

- I hope Spurs can win this series with all their limbs, appendages, what-have-yous intact.

- I thought Neal played well with what he was given. Sure, he forced some shots, but I'd rather see him chuck than shy away from a shot.

- Dice played really bad. Really, really bad.

- Bonner's late threes woke me up. :lol

5in10
04-17-2011, 11:17 PM
Meh I think we will be fine. We lost by a couple without the engine that runs our team. We saw matt bonner finally step up and we saw in the third qtr what can happen when we play the offense that we've all seen this season. We also saw that most of what our guys did in the regular season can be repeated in the postseason(no roger mason crumbling).If gh3 can get Tony Allen in foul trouble I can only imagine what manus gonna do. Randolph and gasol seemed to get a lot of bullshit shots if you ask me. I'm still calling us in 5.

Obstructed_View
04-17-2011, 11:22 PM
It was laughable how Pop wouldn't budge even when Blair and Dice were at 5 fouls apiece.

When Pop benched Nazr and Rasho in 2006 against the Mavs, when Duncan and Horry both got into foul trouble (which they did a lot), Pop went to Oberto. Tell me that man can't hold a grudge. :lol

When asked if Splitter would get PT in game 2, Pop said "I don't know, I haven't thought about it." He's the only person on the planet that didn't.

The Truth #6
04-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Yeah, the team was probably better off just leaving Blair as a starter. He played better as a starter, and Dice played better off the bench. But Pop was already locked into whatever plan he devised back in September. Ugh. So much for being great at making adjustments like all the analysts seem to think.

crc21209
04-18-2011, 12:05 AM
Gasol played out of his fucking mind today. I'm willing to bet that idiot doesnt go 9-10 from the field again the entire series....

#2!
04-18-2011, 12:37 AM
Excellent point.

How is it an excellent point to say the spurs lost because they shot 3s late, but also because their opponents used the sound strategy of shooting 3s late.

I know I'm kind of quoting the wrong post, but I didn't feel like hunting it down.

SenorSpur
04-18-2011, 12:49 AM
Yeah, the team was probably better off just leaving Blair as a starter. He played better as a starter, and Dice played better off the bench. But Pop was already locked into whatever plan he devised back in September. Ugh. So much for being great at making adjustments like all the analysts seem to think.

It probably doesn't matter who starts next to Duncan in this series. All of them have their own individual flaws. It was awfully surprising how pitiful Dice looked. Blair showed great energy on defense and rebounding, but was awful on putbacks. Bonner tries hard, but couldn't defend my 88 year-old grandmother.

Pop just needs to give time to whomever is playing well. Of course, the one big who could probably make a difference (Splitter) is the one guy he will not play.

polandprzem
04-18-2011, 01:04 AM
He was turrible. Actually, the Spurs have pretty much been shit since he was put in the starting lineup.

Since that LA game I was pointing?

This is what's you get when the team is not sharp and has not been in real grind game for a long time.

wildbill2u
04-18-2011, 01:28 AM
TD didn't get the ball and get enough shots in the second half.

Memphis D was great on our perimeter players. They made it all but impossible for our 3 pt shooters to get set and get the ball off. Props to them and their coach for a good game plan.

TD 21
04-18-2011, 01:42 AM
Tim Duncan

If by production you mean offense, then allow me to enlighten you: You can't score without the ball. It's inexplicable that, with Ginobili sidelined, Parker struggling mightily AND Duncan playing well, they wouldn't pound it into Duncan relentlessly coming down the stretch. I partially blame Duncan, because he should have demanded it, but it's another example of poor coaching.

I know it'll never happen, but if this coach had half a brain, he'd insert Splitter into the starting lineup, which would free up Duncan to cover Randolph, without Gasol having a massive mismatch.

It's incredible that a team with championship aspirations has to win in spite of their coach, but that's precisely the predicament they find themselves in. I knew he thought he'd be clever and sit Ginobili today and I'm not the least bit surprised it cost the team. Worst of all, even though he had planned for days to not play him, he waits until the day of the game (when it's an early start, no less) to not only tell Ginobili, but the team. It was clear from their comments yesterday that they were expecting him to play. When they found out he wasn't, it probably took the wind out of their sails.

The reality is, they were going to have a tough enough time beating this team with Ginobili. Not only that, but they needed to take the Grizzlies confidence down a level. Now, it's probably through the roof. Stupid coaches think they're clever; smart coaches use logic.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-18-2011, 03:22 AM

I wasn't comparing this team to those teams at all. This team is completely different. I was comparing the first games of the playoffs for the Spurs in recent years, and there is a solid trend there.

By mentioning the Championship years, I'm also not suggesting we'll win it all this year - this team has to prove its playoff mettle before I'll start getting excited.

I was merely noting a pattern, and if it proves to be a predictable omen we should come out like tigers and rip the Grizz to shreads in game 2. If we aren't able to do that, time to start nervously glancing at the Panic Button. :rollin

Muser
04-18-2011, 03:34 AM
The Spurs need to come out next game and put a smackdown on the Grizz, i'm talking Spurs vs Heat type of beatdown. Make a statement that they're not gonna fuck around anymore.

venitian navigator
04-18-2011, 03:41 AM
I'm scared Pop will decide to overuse Tim...playing him 40 minutes and more a game.
If he decides for this way, well, at this point I should agree with the ones of you that say he lost his brain.
Fact is that if he behaves this way, maybe we can win this series, but we're gonna lose all energies for continuing our race to the title (and the race is gonne be a real one, considering the Lakers showed they're more than beatable, at least by other teams).
That said, all year our main weakness has been defense, and expecially interior defense...despite, imho, having in the roster a player that can eliminate a big part of this weakness without sacrifice a lot of our strenghts.
Players like Bonner, Dice and Blair cannot be considered, in any possible way and all things considered, better players than Splitter...and no one of them can give the team what the team actually lack.
On the contrary, all of these players can play a very good amount of minutes coming from the bench...to adjust match ups and rest who should be the two bigs of our starting line-up (Tim-Split) both needing, for different reasons (Tim : age, Split : conditioning), a lot of minutes for resting every game.

So, imo, first step for going in a better direction, could be to finally decide to start Splitter...axpecially agaist a team that use a lot of interior plays on offense (both gasol and Randolph hhave that as their main strenght).
Obviously, also Manu coming back should be a lot beneficial to the team...

DirkISaCocLuvinPuSSy
04-18-2011, 04:09 AM
The good thing is the Grizz played their best possible game and the Spurs down a superstar scorer, on a bad shooting day, with bad D, and bad calls from refs.......and still we were in it. 4 GAMEZ wins it guys GO SPURS!

IknowU
04-18-2011, 04:14 AM
Pop needs fucken get his sandwich out of his ass and play Splitter more.

Also FUCKING GARY NEAL INSTEAD OF GEORGE HILL Ffs in crunch time.

polandprzem
04-18-2011, 07:31 AM
The thing is about this mental breakdown is that spurs did it this year half an effort.

I mean - limit minutes and get easy buckets. That's why they had colapses cause they just did not went full power.

Now it's uncommon to them going for the kill at the end when basicaly all season long at the end spurs where trying to save some minutes for our leading guys.

Also WTF now go and feed Timmy?

All of sudden they are changing what they were doing all year long even touh Pop said they are not gonna change the way they play.

Dyess got to get going.

I'm not worried about TP he will come back stronger next game. He does not like long layoffs.

Rick Von Braun
04-18-2011, 08:17 AM

The facts are on your side.

The Spurs' playoff record since 2006 is 29-18 with Ginobili and 1-5 without him.

Spurs' fans better pray that Manu plays on Wednesday.

Agloco
04-18-2011, 08:38 AM

Try playing someone next to Duncan who is over 6 foot 9? Bonner does not count here.

Fireball
04-18-2011, 10:30 AM
The good thing is the Grizz played their best possible game and the Spurs down a superstar scorer, on a bad shooting day, with bad D, and bad calls from refs.......and still we were in it. 4 GAMEZ wins it guys GO SPURS!

Two things ...

Defense with the same players will not get better, because it looked as if they really tried hard and play intensely (exception is Dice who sleepwalked through the game) but just could not succeed. Inserting Splitter would help but it will not happen.

And the Spurs were favored by the refs in this game. Some ticky-tack fouls against Tim, but the Spurs had a huge FT advantage. Without that they would have lost by 10+

Obstructed_View
04-18-2011, 11:47 AM
The guards were aggressively drawing fouls, but Duncan got some calls against him, and seemed to allow it to take him out of the game. I agree with those who suggest that he should have demanded the ball. Duncan is more than capable of imposing his will on anyone in the organization.

duncan228
04-18-2011, 04:28 PM
5-on-5: Wild West weekend (http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?page=5-on-5-110417west)
Let's explore five questions in the West after the opening weekend of the NBA playoffs
ESPN.com

3. What's the biggest problem for San Antonio in the MEM-SAS series?

Jeremy Wagner, Roundball Mining Company: Hope. Twice I have seen the Denver Nuggets go to San Antonio and win Game 1 (in 2005 and 2007), only to lose in five games each time. The Spurs have to squelch the Grizzlies' hope and confidence by winning Games 2 and 3. That's what they did to the Nuggets on those previous occasions.

Marc Stein, ESPN.com: Manu's elbow. Followed closely by the same theoretical problem they would have if they last long enough to see the Lakers in the playoffs: not enough size next to Tim Duncan to deal with multiple quality bigs. Duncan was the third-best big on the floor in Game 1. That's not to say that Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol can both be that good every night, but Antonio McDyess was a non-factor … and both McDyess and DeJuan Blair were plagued with foul trouble … and Gregg Popovich didn't even trust Tiago Splitter to play him for a single second.

Ryan Schwan, Hornets 247: That Memphis perimeter defense is smothering. The Memphis big men aren't going to score again like they did Sunday night, but the Spurs guards aren't likely to continue to get the foul shots they got in that game, either. If they can't figure out how to get and hit shots, the Spurs will struggle mightily.

Rob Mahoney, The Two Man Game: Frontcourt defense. Tim Duncan can defend only one highly productive big man at a time, which means that either Zach Randolph or Marc Gasol gets to work against DeJuan Blair, Matt Bonner, or Antonio McDyess. In addition to their own particular defensive limitations, they share in the inability to match up successfully against either of Memphis' bigs.

Graydon Gordian, 48 Minutes of Hell: San Antonio will struggle to shut down Gasol consistently, and may be utterly incapable of stopping Randolph. It doesn't mean the Spurs will lose this series, but because of the Grizzlies' imposing front line, all of San Antonio's wins will come by much narrower margins than the Spurs' faithful are comfortable with.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?page=5-on-5-110417west

ploto
04-18-2011, 04:57 PM
You don't think that Tim, against this front line, needs to be at 40+ minutes? 36 minutes seems extremely low for a playoff game, especially one they lost.

Considering there was not another game until Wednesday, I concur.

Dex
04-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Initial Reaction: :depressed

SA210
04-18-2011, 05:03 PM
When Pop benched Nazr and Rasho in 2006 against the Mavs, when Duncan and Horry both got into foul trouble (which they did a lot), Pop went to Oberto. Tell me that man can't hold a grudge. :lol

When asked if Splitter would get PT in game 2, Pop said "I don't know, I haven't thought about it." He's the only person on the planet that didn't.

I seriously believe he does this shit on purpose just because he is questioned. Stubborn sob.

:pop::pctoss