PDA

View Full Version : Can we use NO plan to minimize twin towers ?

analyzed
04-18-2011, 05:40 AM
Los Angeles' 7-foot starters, Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum, were widely expected to be an awful matchup for smallish New Orleans, but New Orleans rookie coach Monty Williams concocted an impressive game plan to minimize the big men's impact. Can someone tell me what this game plan is ? Can the spurs implement the plan on Marc and Randolph

Muser
04-18-2011, 05:44 AM
Not sucking ass

Warlord23
04-18-2011, 06:12 AM
NOH played a 26-year old 7-foot center in Aaron Gray. The Spurs too have a 26-year old 6'11 center on their bench. However, he won't be a part of our plan because he is unable to spread the floor, and is no good at wiping Pop's ass after Pop takes a dump.

temujin
04-18-2011, 07:09 AM
NOH played a 26-year old 7-foot center in Aaron Gray. The Spurs too have a 26-year old 6'11 center on their bench. However, he won't be a part of our plan because he is unable to spread the floor, and is no good at wiping Pop's ass after Pop takes a dump.

This. (1)

(2) Plus the NO not-so-bigs run like crazy
(3) Plus pushing the tempo with Paul and Jack exploiting the decrepit Fischer.
(4) Plus playing some zone.

Only option 3 is available for Spurs players.

polandprzem
04-18-2011, 07:26 AM
This. (1)

(2) Plus the NO not-so-bigs run like crazy
(3) Plus pushing the tempo with Paul and Jack exploiting the decrepit Fischer.
(4) Plus playing some zone.

Only option 3 is available for Spurs players.

Well spurs can run

But I don't know about the zone now. I alwyas wanted a zone D to disturb the other temas offense.

maybe a 3-2 zone switch into 1-1

honestfool84
04-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Can someone tell me what this game plan is ? Can the spurs implement the plan on Marc and Randolph

:lol i thought you were here to tell us their plan...

Capt Bringdown
04-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Too bad Gray sprained his ankle with 1:07 left in the game.

beirmeistr
04-18-2011, 09:18 AM
Borrowing Chris Paul from NO

ElNono
04-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Their plan was to kick Pau in the vajeje... Lakeshow goes as far as Pau takes them...
He doesn't play in Memphis though....

K-State Spur
04-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Los Angeles' 7-foot starters, Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum, were widely expected to be an awful matchup for smallish New Orleans, but New Orleans rookie coach Monty Williams concocted an impressive game plan to minimize the big men's impact. Can someone tell me what this game plan is ? Can the spurs implement the plan on Marc and Randolph

Wasn't so much about gameplan. Biggest difference is that LA's Gasol played like excrement while Memphis' had the game of his life.

If either Gasol plays just a good game (as opposed to one on the extremes), LA & San Antonio are both 1-0.

Our guys don't have to neutralize Gasol/ZBo to win this series, they just have to prevent from having one of the most efficient front lines in history...which really shouldn't happen if we tried to guard them with Darko's chair.

Warlord23
04-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Replacing a finesse player in David West with a bigger but offensively less skilled player in Gray is actually paying dividends for the Hornets. Look at the frontcourt players they used vs LA:
1. Emeka Okafor: 6'10" C, shot blocker
2. Carl Landry: 6'9" PF, scrapper who is willing to bang in the paint
3. Aaron Gray: 7'0" C, can body up, box out and finish when needed
4. Jason Smith: 7'0" PF, used sparingly, usually when others are in foul trouble
5. DJ Mbenga: 7'0" C, Spot minutes only

They may not have a high level of offensive skill, but they are willing to tough it out in the paint. Compare that to who the Spurs play:

1. Timmy: HOF big who's fundamentally sound, but isn't young anymore
2. Bonner: Can shoot, but will give up rebounds and get scored on in the paint like there's no tomorrow
3. Blair: Energetic and tough, but is about as tall as the average SG, which causes him to be a liability on D. Also finds it tough to finish when matched up against bigger defenders
4. Dice: Way past his prime. Looks great on some days, bad on others.

Honestly, which big man rotation looks more suited for playoff ball?

Warlord23
04-18-2011, 10:11 AM
As it stands, DJ Mbenga has got more playing time in the 2011 NBA playoffs than Tiago Splitter.

True story.

Old School 44
04-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Yep...our big man rotation should have been.

6-11 Tim Duncan
6-11 Tiago Splitter
6-11 Ian Mahinmi
6-9 Luis Scola

41times
04-18-2011, 11:28 AM
New Orleans secret game plan

3 turnovers per game.

If you only turn the ball over 3 times in a game instead of league avg 13 you are saving at least 10-12 points by our opponent.

Combined that with Gasol's worst playoff game as a Laker and you got yourself a win.

Watch game 2. Hornets will turn the ball over 10 times and the Lakers will win by double digits. Call your bookie.

mexpurs21
04-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Well spurs can run

But I don't know about the zone now. I alwyas wanted a zone D to disturb the other temas offense.

maybe a 3-2 zone switch into 1-1

"Triangle and two" defense :downspin:

GabeIsGone
04-18-2011, 11:44 AM

6-11 Tim Duncan
6-11 Tiago Splitter
6-11 Ian Mahinmi
6-9 Luis Scola
:wow:depressed

Obstructed_View
04-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Monty sees an opponent with a big frontline and plays guys based on their size, not on their salary or their level of corporate knowledge.

Warlord23
04-18-2011, 12:04 PM
“This playoff probably isn’t for him,” Popovich said. “Playoffs is a time for people who feel very confident about what they’re doing, and George isn’t in that category yet. He needs more time.”
--- on the topic of George Hill's minutes before the Mavs rolled over us in 2009.

DJ Mbenga
04-18-2011, 12:10 PM
i guess you can go with the NO plan. hope randolph sucks.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-18-2011, 12:12 PM
As it stands, DJ Mbenga has got more playing time in the 2011 NBA playoffs than Tiago Splitter.

True story.

:shootme

jag
04-18-2011, 12:12 PM

6-11 Tim Duncan
6-11 Tiago Splitter
6-11 Ian Mahinmi
6-9 Luis Scola

:lol

Cane
04-18-2011, 12:15 PM
If the Grizz had Derek Fisher and a d-leaguer eating minutes then it'd be no problem for the Spurs tbh.

Anyway yesterday's game was a masterful display by CP3 as he made lightning quick decisions that dissected the Lakers defense. One of the problems with the Spurs is that they don't have a consistently great passer on the level of CP3/Kidd/Williams/etc; the Spurs players lose a lot of easy scoring opportunities simply because they don't get the ball quickly or at all. Especially for Blair and RJ, the latter of whom struggles to get a touch even for his bread and butter transition game.

Anyway like the Hornets, the Spurs need to move the ball around quickly against bigger teams and exploit what the floor positioning is like. Make their bigs come out to the perimeter and exploit them like CP3's nasty jumper on Gasol in the 4th yesterday.

SenorSpur
04-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Replacing a finesse player in David West with a bigger but offensively less skilled player in Gray is actually paying dividends for the Hornets. Look at the frontcourt players they used vs LA:
4. Jason Smith: 7'0" PF, used sparingly, usually when others are in foul trouble

They may not have a high level of offensive skill, but they are willing to tough it out in the paint. Compare that to who the Spurs play:

2. Bonner: Can shoot, but will give up rebounds and get scored on in the paint like there's no tomorrow
3. Blair: Energetic and tough, but is about as tall as the average SG, which causes him to be a liability on D. Also finds it tough to finish when matched up against bigger defenders

Pop may carry 5 bigs on the roster, but rarely, if every, will he use 5 bigs in a game. Actually, the Spurs only have 4.5 bigs, because Bonner only counts as .5. While being a terrible defender, he's more of a SF in a big body. And with Splitter being chained to the bench, that leaves 3.5 bigs to counter any opposing frontlne.

Monty Williams proves, once again, that attempting to match size of your opponents, is the way to go. No team has had playoff success with small ball.

Mugen
04-18-2011, 12:27 PM
Pop may carry 5 bigs on the roster, but rarely, if every, will he use 5 bigs in a game. Actually, the Spurs only have 4.5 bigs, because Bonner only counts as .5. While being a terrible defender, he's more of a SF in a big body. And with Splitter being chained to the bench, that leaves 3.5 bigs to counter any opposing frontlne.

Monty Williams proves, once again, that attempting to match size of your opponents, is the way to go. No team has had playoff success with small ball.

Last time I checked, Monty Williams doesn't have 4 rings. How dare you insinuate that he might be coaching better than a certain Spurs coach right now?

Horse
04-18-2011, 12:33 PM

Bonner the SF, now I know that sounds crazy but what if he played there. He would have to give up jumpers cause he's too slow too guard any SF. But he would'nt be getting pushed around giving up offensive rebounds and clogging the paint in a bad way.

SenorSpur
04-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Last time I checked, Monty Williams doesn't have 4 rings. How dare you insinuate that he might be coaching better than a certain Spurs coach right now?

No one is saying Monty is a better coach. Besides past accomplishments don't mean shit in the present tense.

Where have you been? Open your eyes. The Spurs and Pop didn't win 4 titles with a small frontline and an average defense.

Agloco
04-18-2011, 01:47 PM

True story.

And will continue to stand since Aaron Gray went down in the 4th quarter.

spurspokesman
04-18-2011, 01:55 PM
No one is saying Monty is a better coach. Besides past accomplishments don't mean shit in the present tense.

Where have you been? Open your eyes. The Spurs and Pop didn't win 4 titles with a small frontline and an average defense.

True. And the shorter front line players had more skill and will

K-State Spur
04-18-2011, 02:04 PM

But there also isn't much proof that Monty really did anything. Find a way to neutralize Pau when he's not going white swan and I'll be impressed.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Monty's not a great coach because he didn't keep Aaron "no corporate knowledge" Gray on the bench where he belongs.

SenorSpur
04-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Monty's not a great coach because he didn't keep Aaron "no corporate knowledge" Gray on the bench where he belongs.

:lol

However, you bring up a good point. I don't know how much Aaron Gray played for the Hornets during the regular season, but clearly coach Williams wasn't married to one set rotation of bigs. He knew that his best chance to combat the size disparity was to run a platoon of bigs at the Fakers. Fortunately for the Hornets, Gray was phenomenal.

Maybe Pop feels that if he gives into playing Splitter that it would be deemed as a panic move. Maybe he just doesn't think Tiago is ready. Whatever his reasoning, he's compromising his team's chances to win by his stubbornness.

If Dice continues to struggle against the Memphis bigs, Pop will be left with no other real option than to play Splitter.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2011, 05:53 PM
I don't think I agree that Pop is married to a set rotation of bigs, or he wouldn't have fucked up the rotation and made Dice the starter a month ago. Pop develops grudges against certain players and crushes on others, and allows that to determine how he plays the game. He also has a terrible feel for the game, subbing guys out when they're on a hot streak or making adjustments to things that are actually working, or simply putting guys in really impossible situations and allowing them to fail.

He didn't seem to see benching the centers on a 63 win team just in time for the playoffs as a panic move, but he apparently saw letting them play ever again as one. He's not too stubborn to suddenly take point guard duties from Tony Parker and give them to George Hill yesterday.

SenorSpur
04-18-2011, 06:21 PM
I don't think I agree that Pop is married to a set rotation of bigs, or he wouldn't have fucked up the rotation and made Dice the starter a month ago. Pop develops grudges against certain players and crushes on others, and allows that to determine how he plays the game. He also has a terrible feel for the game, subbing guys out when they're on a hot streak or making adjustments to things that are actually working, or simply putting guys in really impossible situations and allowing them to fail.

He didn't seem to see benching the centers on a 63 win team just in time for the playoffs as a panic move, but he apparently saw letting them play ever again as one. He's not too stubborn to suddenly take point guard duties from Tony Parker and give them to George Hill yesterday.

Since we're on that subject, since Manu was out, and seeing how Hill moved up into the starter's role, it puzzles me that Pop didin't go to his bench and dig out another wing player. Since Hill was clearly struggling, it only made sense to throw Danny Green or James Anderson into the mix, just to see what they could do against the aggressive Grizzlies. Green performed will in late season action, is a good perimeter defender (something they badly need) and has demonstrated a good 3-pt stroke. Anderson, while struggling with conditioning, has proved to a an above-average 3-pt shooter, can create his own shot and a capable defender. Combined perhaps they could've given this team a spark.

Pop seems unable or unwilling to adjust on the fly and try something different.

Old School 44
04-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Pop and the rest of the Spurs coaching staff have regressed back to the old "simulator crew" that Phil Jackson labeled them. Pop's a numbers guy, he sees Bonner led the league in 3 pt fg% and says, "the odds are with us, Bonner will win us a game". He's right, Bonner will win us 1 game, but he'll lose us 4 others.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Since we're on that subject, since Manu was out, and seeing how Hill moved up into the starter's role, it puzzles me that Pop didin't go to his bench and dig out another wing player. Since Hill was clearly struggling, it only made sense to throw Danny Green or James Anderson into the mix, just to see what they could do against the aggressive Grizzlies. Green performed will in late season action, is a good perimeter defender (something they badly need) and has demonstrated a good 3-pt stroke. Anderson, while struggling with conditioning, has proved to a an above-average 3-pt shooter, can create his own shot and a capable defender. Combined perhaps they could've given this team a spark.
Pop couldn't pull Hill out of the game. Who would have run the point?

Pop seems unable or unwilling to adjust on the fly and try something different.
Pop's perfectly content trying something different if it means not playing a center or going away from something that's working. Somehow he thinks that vanilla concepts like starting your best five players or playing all your players at their correct positions will make people think he's not a genius.

TD 21
04-18-2011, 09:43 PM
I'll preface this by saying I'm all for playing Splitter (at Blair's expense) and playing him in tandem with Duncan some. But the difference between Gray and Splitter is girth. Gray was able to do an adequate job on Bynum because, in addition to his height, he has the mass to lean on Bynum without Bynum overwhelming him.

That's the problem with this team. They don't have a single true center (and their only wide body is not even a full 6-7), which is why they've made Bynum, Bogut, Milicic and now Gasol look like prime Chamberlain, Abdul-Jabbar, Olajuwon and O'Neal, this season. Against teams with big, physical front lines, Duncan should be playing some power forward.

InTheCrust
04-18-2011, 09:48 PM
And here we are, struggling with Memphis. Two rounds too far ahead.

itzsoweezee
04-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Monty Williams played pro ball. Thus, he knows that talented players win basketball games, not some ridiculous, complicated system.

SenorSpur
04-18-2011, 10:01 PM
I'll preface this by saying I'm all for playing Splitter (at Blair's expense) and playing him in tandem with Duncan some. But the difference between Gray and Splitter is girth. Gray was able to do an adequate job on Bynum because, in addition to his height, he has the mass to lean on Bynum without Bynum overwhelming him.

That's the problem with this team. They don't have a single true center (and their only wide body is not even a full 6-7), which is why they've made Bynum, Bogut, Milicic and now Gasol look like prime Chamberlain, Abdul-Jabbar, Olajuwon and O'Neal, this season. Against teams with big, physical front lines, Duncan should be playing some power forward.

Something I've been saying all year. There's no reason for Tim to be the only true center on this team and having to STILL bear the burden of alll the heavy lifting in the frontcourt - at his age.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Except that Splitter has played against Bynum, and has yet to be overwhelmed by him. In fact, Splitter hasn't been overwhelmed by anyone that I can remember.

Splitter's a true center in every way that I can think of. Dice is a more than adequate backup center for a championship team IMO. The reason those guys go off is because the person getting the most minutes next to Duncan lacks the length to slow them down, lacks the athletic ability to jump or block shots, and lacks the foot speed to keep anyone in front of him.

TD 21
04-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Except that Splitter has played against Bynum, and has yet to be overwhelmed by him. In fact, Splitter hasn't been overwhelmed by anyone that I can remember.

Splitter's a true center in every way that I can think of. Dice is a more than adequate backup center for a championship team IMO. The reason those guys go off is because the person getting the most minutes next to Duncan lacks the length to slow them down, lacks the athletic ability to jump or block shots, and lacks the foot speed to keep anyone in front of him.

The first time he guarded Bynum, Bynum went at him and overpowered him. He doesn't have the mass to adequately defend power fives for long stretches. I agree that they can't be picky and focus on his lack of bulk or NBA inexperience as a reason to not play him. I'm just saying the reason guys like Collins or Gray can have success against a Howard or a Bynum is because of their mass, in addition to their height.

Splitter was actually drafted as a PF. It just goes to show you how much the game has changed that he's now considered a C (as are many converted PF's). He's not a true C, though and neither is Duncan. A true C is Howard, Bynum, S. O'Neal, Perkins, Bogut, M. Gasol, Yao, Oden, etc. McDyess is not a C at all. He's a PF. I'm aware of why those guys "go off". What get's overlooked though, is the fact that Duncan has had trouble guarding power fives. It's because he's not a true C. He's just forced to play C because of his decline in mobility and because of how this roster is constructed.

007nites
04-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Gray is 7'0" 280. Try bodying up 280.

SenorSpur
04-18-2011, 11:51 PM

Splitter more than held his own versus Marc Gasol in an earlier game this year. It's so frustrating to know that this guy is the only adequate backup for Duncan, yet the coach stubbornly refuses to play him.

rmt
04-19-2011, 12:25 AM
The first time he guarded Bynum, Bynum went at him and overpowered him. He doesn't have the mass to adequately defend power fives for long stretches. I agree that they can't be picky and focus on his lack of bulk or NBA inexperience as a reason to not play him. I'm just saying the reason guys like Collins or Gray can have success against a Howard or a Bynum is because of their mass, in addition to their height.

Splitter was actually drafted as a PF. It just goes to show you how much the game has changed that he's now considered a C (as are many converted PF's). He's not a true C, though and neither is Duncan. A true C is Howard, Bynum, S. O'Neal, Perkins, Bogut, M. Gasol, Yao, Oden, etc. McDyess is not a C at all. He's a PF. I'm aware of why those guys "go off". What get's overlooked though, is the fact that Duncan has had trouble guarding power fives. It's because he's not a true C. He's just forced to play C because of his decline in mobility and because of how this roster is constructed.

Are we really sitting here debating whether Splitter is a center or not? Even if he is a PF, he is taller, longer and faster than the alternative - Blair, Bonner and Dice. With the roster the Spurs have, he is a center.

So while every other team trots out 2 "centers" (Bynum/Gasol, Randolph/Gasol, Darko/Love, Ibaka/Perkins, Pop wants to field a (in 6 days) 35 year old Duncan with the midget Blair, POS Bonner or even more ancient Dice while the young, mobile 7 footer rots on the bench.

Pop is just wearing out the team trying to defend these giants instead of playing the one player who can help. He'll put in Green, Anderson, Novak and Quinn before Splitter. In years past, he didn't have a choice so what he's doing is inexcusable. He must have something against Splitter because even the "corporate knowledge" excuse doesn't fly with Green, Anderson and Novak. If Splitter plays, everything falls into place - TD can concentrate on guarding Gasol without "keeping an eye on Zach" and the other players can guard their man without having to double team Zach because Bonner/Blair/Dice need help.

All of us hoping that he'll put in Splitter are destined to disappointment. Remember he's the one who told Griffin, Westbrook and Love not to expect much playing time in the AS game - just because they're AS rookies - as if the fans wouldn't prefer to see Griffin dunk than TD hobbling down the court.

Here's another rant: just how many PFs and SGs can this team have? By my count, there are 4 PFs (Duncan, Bonner, Blair, Dice) and 5 SGs (Manu, Hill, Neal, Anderson, Green), 1 C (Splitter), 2 SF (RJ and Novak, who is not an adequate backup) and 2 PGs (TP and Quinn, who is not an adequate) backup). Because of players playing out of position, they're either too small or the offense stalls (Hill).

TE
04-19-2011, 03:03 AM

This

TE
04-19-2011, 03:04 AM
Gray is 7'0" 280. Try bodying up 280.

Numbers might say he is 280, but I highly doubt that.

Gray is one huge guy. I'd say he is closer at the 300+ pound mark.

Obstructed_View
04-19-2011, 04:04 AM

The first time he guarded Bynum, ever, Bynum scored on him. That's obviously the point where you completely stopped watching Splitter play, because everything that happened subsequent to that flies in the face of your conclusion.

Splitter went right down on the next possession and drew a foul on Bynum. Gasol came in for Odom and those two collectively scored one point while Splitter was on the floor after that.

The Dice tip-in game had Splitter defending Bynum in the post, and Bynum tried to throw his weight around. He was completely unsuccessful doing it. Splitter drew an offensive foul on him and he was very frustrated at Splitter's ability to keep him from his spots.

Collectively for Splitter against Bynum in those two games, Bynum scored three points, had two fouls, and the Lakers scored two points in the paint (Bynum's first basket). Not too shabby for a rookie that can't earn playing time ahead of Matt Bonner.

spursbird
04-19-2011, 04:12 AM
We have a 7 footer called Tiago Splitter but Pop will not play him because he cannot shoot 3.

Baseline
04-19-2011, 04:26 AM
Bryant took 26 shots, and nobody else on the team took more than 9.

Hornets win. Simple as that.

04-19-2011, 05:00 AM
You mean have a seven foot center that hustles his butt off playing defense and scrapping for points and rebounds? That ship sailed a long time ago at the trade deadline.

TD 21
04-19-2011, 07:01 PM
The first time he guarded Bynum, ever, Bynum scored on him. That's obviously the point where you completely stopped watching Splitter play, because everything that happened subsequent to that flies in the face of your conclusion.

Splitter went right down on the next possession and drew a foul on Bynum. Gasol came in for Odom and those two collectively scored one point while Splitter was on the floor after that.

The Dice tip-in game had Splitter defending Bynum in the post, and Bynum tried to throw his weight around. He was completely unsuccessful doing it. Splitter drew an offensive foul on him and he was very frustrated at Splitter's ability to keep him from his spots.

Collectively for Splitter against Bynum in those two games, Bynum scored three points, had two fouls, and the Lakers scored two points in the paint (Bynum's first basket). Not too shabby for a rookie that can't earn playing time ahead of Matt Bonner.

I watched the entire game. Bynum pushed him around. That doesn't mean he did a terrible job and isn't a better option than every Spur not named Duncan. You're making this anti-Splitter and it's not, which you'd know if you had any semblance of reading comprehension. He should absolutely play, I just don't expect him to have as much success defending the Bynum's of the world as guys like Collins/Gray. That's all I'm saying.

rmt, nothing I said was anti-Splitter, which is how both of you are making it out to be. I said the difference between guys like Collins/Gray and Splitter is that they're wide bodies and he's not. But I also said, he should absolutely be playing about 5000 times and that he should sometimes be paired with Duncan in this series.

I agree that the roster is imbalanced, in that it's overloaded with too many natural PF's and SG's. They're going to need a legit C in the off season and a better third PG (obviously, this is less pressing).

rmt
04-19-2011, 07:04 PM
rmt, did you even read what I said? Nothing I said was anti-Splitter, which is how both of you are making it out to be. I said the difference between guys like Collins/Gray and Splitter is that they're wide bodies and he's not. I said he should absolutely be playing about 5000 times and that he should sometimes be paired with Duncan in this series.

I agree that the roster is imbalanced, in that it's overloaded with too many natural PF's and SG's. They're going to need a legit C in the off season and a better third PG (obviously, this is less pressing).

OK. At this point, I don't even get upset at Bonner. He's who he is. It's Pop who concerns me - just don't see why he won't play Splitter when the glaring problem is defending bigs.

The imbalance in the roster is going to bite them. It seems that the #1 criteria of the FO for getting players is if they can shoot. If they get to LA or even OKC, they'll have to play Manu, Hill or Neal on Artest or Durant if all 3 are getting playing time.

Bito Corleone
04-19-2011, 07:24 PM

6-11 Tim Duncan
6-11 Tiago Splitter
6-11 Ian Mahinmi
6-9 Luis Scola

:bang Mahinmi...the guy fucking sucked...and still sucks. People need to let it go.

Scola doesn't suck, but that was how many years ago? Let that shit go too.

TD 21
04-19-2011, 11:59 PM
OK. At this point, I don't even get upset at Bonner. He's who he is. It's Pop who concerns me - just don't see why he won't play Splitter when the glaring problem is defending bigs.

The imbalance in the roster is going to bite them. It seems that the #1 criteria of the FO for getting players is if they can shoot. If they get to LA or even OKC, they'll have to play Manu, Hill or Neal on Artest or Durant if all 3 are getting playing time.

I've been more annoyed with Blair than I have with Bonner this season. Blair looked ridiculously good in the preseason. I know it was only the preseason and he'll always have limitations because of his size, but I was expecting more. Statistically, he was good again. But he just didn't improve in any specific area to the extent I thought he would.

He won't play Splitter because he's determined to be loyal/stubborn to the bitter end. That's what this is about. It's the same reason he was continuing to trot out Finley early last season and went with Vaughn to start the Mavs series in Hill's rookie season. He'd rather risk throwing away potentially the final chance at a championship in the Duncan era, because him being loyal/stubborn and doing things the way he's always done them is more important than what gives his team their best chance at a championship. That's ego.

It's so imbalanced that the bench basically consists of two undersized power forwards, two shooting guards (one of which is undersized) and one combo guard, who's undersized as a shooting guard. And they wonder why they're a mediocre defensive team. It's a minor miracle they're even that, considering the fact that Duncan played 28.4 mpg and Splitter wasn't in the rotation.