PDA

View Full Version : DNPcoaching decision Splitter, game over, series/season almost certainly over

Rummpd
04-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Big Spurs fan here who has spent years and thousands following this team but never have I been as disgusted by one man as I am right now with Pop.

The bottom line, unless this coach changes up his philosophy; and rapidly and adjusts to the obvious that Spurs are outsized in the paint. It is fools gold that the Spurs had a few more rebounds, as this game was lost in reality from the stretch in the third when the Spurs grabbed the lead, Duncan got two soft fouls and they sat until several minutes in the fourth. During that stretch and at the end his decision to go with Bonner, despite his "make up" threes at the end, was an abject failure. Memphis is simply too big and too talented to keep running and hoping that a sublime phillosophy of going small is going to pay off. Moreover, even if they do survive a top ten team in Memphis (in power rankings, point differential, second half records), it will sadly be over in by round two without a radical change from the only man who can do it - but seemingly is inanely determined not to.

Simply put, unless, the Spurs turn to more logical lineups with at least one true big on the floor at all times, i.e., Duncan or Splitter - this season is absolutely toast.

DeadlyDynasty
04-18-2011, 08:39 AM
You're a day late on the meltdown.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-18-2011, 08:43 AM
Deja vu thread is deja vu.

honestfool84
04-18-2011, 08:53 AM
:lol another thread that we needed.

honestfool84
04-18-2011, 08:54 AM
i say we write up a proposal to fire Pop and have Dr. Rummpd replace him...

simply put, i don't see any other obvious explanation.

GrandeDavid
04-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Big Spurs fan here who has spent years and thousands following this team but never have I been as disgusted by one man as I am right now with Pop.

The bottom line, unless this coach changes up his philosophy; and rapidly and adjusts to the obvious that Spurs are outsized in the paint. It is fools gold that the Spurs had a few more rebounds, as this game was lost in reality from the stretch in the third when the Spurs grabbed the lead, Duncan got two soft fouls and they sat until several minutes in the fourth. During that stretch and at the end his decision to go with Bonner, despite his "make up" threes at the end, was an abject failure. Memphis is simply too big and too talented to keep running and hoping that a sublime phillosophy of going small is going to pay off. Moreover, even if they do survive a top ten team in Memphis (in power rankings, point differential, second half records), it will sadly be over in by round two without a radical change from the only man who can do it - but seemingly is inanely determined not to.

Simply put, unless, the Spurs turn to more logical lineups with at least one true big on the floor at all times, i.e., Duncan or Splitter - this season is absolutely toast.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Capt Bringdown
04-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Yeah, but you and I and everyone else knows that Pop's not going to change. He doesn't believe our defense can improve.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-18-2011, 10:56 AM
There was like five threads on the Splitter situation on the first two pages, glad you added another one.

rascal
04-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Even one of the biggest homers is going into meltdown after the first loss.

rmt
04-18-2011, 11:27 AM
It's not that Dice/Blair/Bonner are any quicker/faster than Splitter. Or that they did any running yesterday. Pop, of all people, should know that a running game can be shut down after all the Spurs' battles with PHX.

Took a look at the LA/NO game yesterday wondering how NO beat LA. Guess who they have guarding Bynum - some 7 foot player (Gray) I've never even heard of. Gasol/Bynum - 6-16, 21 pts 15 reb combined instead of the atrocious 19-25 for 49 pts, 23 reb for Randolph/Gasol. If there's not a speed/athleticism advantage, why not go with size - Splitter is a win/win there. More than 50% of their scoring came from their big men (plus Arthur - 5 pts) - why wouldn't you put your best defensive bigs out there?

Pop is one stubborn man. He's depending on knowledge of his system and execution to win. MEM has studied the tapes, knows the plays and have bigger, superior athletes. Down the stretch, their go-to-guy is an easy, almost automatic 2. Try and slow him down with one player (Splitter) and not throw the whole defense off double-teaming and scrambling to recover.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2011, 12:00 PM
I hadn't thought of this...

Cane
04-18-2011, 12:09 PM
It'd be nice to see how Splitter would do but lets not forget that he gets abused by bigger and stronger players especially on the boards. It seems like Splitter struggles just to grab/boxout basic NBA rebounds which is asking for trouble with guys like Randolph on the floor and the lack of floor spacing the Grizz have.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2011, 12:14 PM
It'd be nice to see how Splitter would do but lets not forget that he gets abused by bigger and stronger players especially on the boards. It seems like Splitter struggles just to grab/boxout basic NBA rebounds which is asking for trouble with guys like Randolph on the floor and the lack of floor spacing the Grizz have.

Let's not forget that people make up shit out of nowhere to justify his inability to get minutes despite the ongoing problems with the Spurs' interior defense.

dbreiden83080
04-18-2011, 12:14 PM
We need to pray Pop changes something

anything..

Marcus Bryant
04-18-2011, 12:23 PM
:shootme

DeadlyDynasty
04-18-2011, 12:24 PM
We need to pray Pop changes something

anything..

Let's not be rash now...Manu comes back on Wednesday and all will be forgotten...

Cane
04-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Let's not forget that people make up shit out of nowhere to justify his inability to get minutes despite the ongoing problems with the Spurs' interior defense.

Nah I want him to get minutes. However Splitter has struggled to grab rebounds against bigger and stronger opponents and in general can get bullied by them relatively easily. He's shown that relatively recently versus LA as well.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Nah I want him to get minutes. However Splitter has struggled to grab rebounds against bigger and stronger opponents and in general can get bullied by them relatively easily. He's shown that relatively recently versus LA as well.

You mean last time they played and he about posted a double double? How'd Bonner do that game again?

TimDunkem
04-18-2011, 12:40 PM
He's the Spurs' best option. Splitter may struggle, but Bonner will always be manhandled.

Rummpd
04-18-2011, 12:41 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/pf/league/west

Tiago Splitter Player Eff Rating (in limited minutes) 15th/34 in West among PF 16.02 REBR 15.7

Matt Bonner " " IN EXCESSIVE MINUTES 23rd/34 in West among PF PER 13.54 PATHETIC REBR 9.7

PoP has lost it period.

I have no problem with Bonner on the court if he is on the court with Duncan OR Splitter. It is inane and sublime against Memphis to have Bonner on the court without a real big on the court.

dbreiden83080
04-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Let's not be rash now...Manu comes back on Wednesday and all will be forgotten...

Not if their bigs keep abusing Bonner while Spiltter sits there wondering why he bothered coming to the NBA?

Rummpd
04-18-2011, 12:44 PM
I do not care if Manu comes back and Spurs win - if Splitter is not on the court 15 minutes that win will be fools gold as the entire season has been - Spurs will not win without some minutes from the 2nd or at worst 3rd most effective big (Blair is actually a pretty efficient player and Spurs are fine also with him on the court with Duncan AND/OR Splitter).

Rummpd
04-18-2011, 12:46 PM
If Monte Williams or half a dozen coaches were coaching this Spurs team I would feel more confident - Pop has lost the ability to adapt and it will take a miracle for him to change - he should be in the FO with another coach on the floor.

++SaiNt TiAg0++
04-18-2011, 01:04 PM
If Monte Williams or half a dozen coaches were coaching this Spurs team I would feel more confident - Pop has lost the ability to adapt and it will take a miracle for him to change - he should be in the FO with another coach on the floor.

agree
just doesn't make sense other than pop's lost his touch and needs to step down. what sucks is ..he's great at everything else (getting his players to buy into the system/respect/hard work) but whats the point of all that when you have ridiculous rotations

im sorry if you dont know that a defensive 7footer who shut L.Aldridge down will help this team out and rather play a toronto scrub (starter minutes) on an "elite" team you sir are fucking insane coach, and need to stop coaching.

its not just this year but what are we to expect next year?? i mean how long will this shit last??? when duncan is gone does pop think bonner is a starter? hahaha i mean seriously thats how crazy this man has become.
i'd rather start over with a coach who could use what we have here and build a front line with timmys last year.

ChumpDumper
04-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Did anyone send Pop an email this time?

Mugen
04-18-2011, 01:20 PM

If you're talking about earlier in the season, then i'd agree with you. But Splitter has improved his rebounding immensely since then.

Against LA, Splitter did a great job from keeping Bynum from the offensive boards and he wasn't man handled like he was earlier in the year.

The only knock on Splitter is his offense but that's not gonna change if he's forced to create 1 on 1 from 15feet out. He's just as good a finisher around the rim as most of our other bigs and his offense shouldn't be a issue when hes playing with the Big 3.

Can't believe i'm still defending this guy when it's a moot point until next season.

Cane
04-18-2011, 01:31 PM
He's the Spurs' best option. Splitter may struggle, but Bonner will always be manhandled.

You mean last time they played and he about posted a double double? How'd Bonner do that game again?

Unless I'm looking at the wrong numbers, you're right about Splitter almost having a double-double but he also shot 30% against LA (10 attempts) and had 8pts/8 boards in about 28 mins of play. Blair had 11 boards, 12 pts on 50% shooting in under 26 mins. Bonner was 3-3 from 3, 13 pts on 4-5 overall shooting, 3 boards in under 24 mins of play.

Whereas Pau Gasol had 17/17 on 7-12 shooting in 40 mins of play and Bynum had 4 pts/4 boards before going down with injury in 13 mins. Odom had 23/7.

The Spurs bench bigs are going to struggle competing with size specifically when the game is slowed down. The Spurs are going to have to make quick decisions/passes and exploit the bigs when they're out of position like what CP3 and the Hornets accomplished yesterday.

Hopefully Splitter can help...he's had some great games against some of the up and coming bigs like Cousins and LMA but his lack of great strength/size can get him pushed around relatively easily against bigger guys. Dice needs to make an impact as well, his game 1 performance was :depressed

Agloco
04-18-2011, 01:42 PM

Splitter should be banging with Gasol. Timmy should cover Randolph.

jag
04-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Pop's comments after the game:

We are going to have the same general game plan, it wasn’t like we got beat by 25,” Popovich said. “We played hard, we missed some free throws down the stretch, and had some good looks that just didn’t go in.

“Shane hit a big three, Mayo hit a big three from the corner, so shot have to go in for us down the stretch. It doesn’t mean that you change your philosophy.”

Read more: http://www.48minutesofhell.com/on-shocking-the-world-vs-the-comforts-of-history-outliers-and-omens#ixzz1JtmmHJMM

Oh well

John Basedow
04-18-2011, 01:55 PM

We are going to have the same general game plan, it wasn’t like we got beat by 25,” Popovich said. “We played hard, we missed some free throws down the stretch, and had some good looks that just didn’t go in.

“Shane hit a big three, Mayo hit a big three from the corner, so shot have to go in for us down the stretch. It doesn’t mean that you change your philosophy.”

Read more: http://www.48minutesofhell.com/on-shocking-the-world-vs-the-comforts-of-history-outliers-and-omens#ixzz1JtmmHJMM

Oh well

That's it, Pop...stay the course :tu

Agloco
04-18-2011, 02:18 PM
That's it, Pop...stay the course :tu

Did Luva get back at you about your bet?

John Basedow
04-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Did Luva get back at you about your bet?

Yeah we're set.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-18-2011, 02:21 PM

Oh well

Honestly, this is all idle bitching. We won't see Tiago unless we get down 3-1 or something like that. Pop has gone full on Larry Brown in his treatment of first year players on his team.

So anyone wondering what Splitter's run will look like can look at Hill's treatment against the Mavs. It was clear to all he could make a difference, but he didn't get any run until game 5 when it was too late.

yavozerb
04-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Honestly, this is all idle bitching. We won't see Tiago unless we get down 3-1 or something like that. Pop has gone full on Larry Brown in his treatment of first year players on his team.

So anyone wondering what Splitter's run will look like can look at Hill's treatment against the Mavs. It was clear to all he could make a difference, but he didn't get any run until game 5 when it was too late.

agree...Not sure why this is even up for debate. This has been the way pop has run his playoff rotation since his arrival.

FromWayDowntown
04-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Pretty sure that Pop has vacation plans for the South of France in mid-May and doesn't want anything to interfere with those plans -- non-refundable tickets and chateau deposits being the bitch that they can be.

jag
04-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Pretty sure that Pop has vacation plans for the South of France in mid-May and doesn't want anything to interfere with those plans -- non-refundable tickets and chateau deposits being the bitch that they can be.

What's your opinion on the C/PF rotations?

Rummpd
04-18-2011, 02:33 PM
If the above article from 48minutesfromhell.com is to be believed and I have no reason to doubt their fine writers - game set, match, over

honestfool84
04-18-2011, 03:13 PM

:lol

honestfool84
04-18-2011, 03:13 PM
If the above article from 48minutesfromhell.com is to be believed and I have no reason to doubt their fine writers - game set, match, over

with all due respect, Dr., you sound like a pussy Spurs fan.

i sure am glad the Spurs have more balls than you're showing.

FromWayDowntown
04-18-2011, 03:31 PM
What's your opinion on the C/PF rotations?

From what I've seen, I don't think that there's much that Tiago Splitter could have done on Sunday to have curbed the abuse that the Spurs bigs took in the paint. I'm intrigued by Tiago's size and I think he can play. But I also think that he plays best when things are loosy-goosy schematically. He scores best in scramble situations and he's most effective defensively (to me) when he doesn't have to worry about rotations and such; when the game slows down and requires that players stay true to a scheme, he's much more of a thinker than a player and, in those situations, I think he's relatively passive and foul-prone.

With that said, I don't think it would be advisable to run Splitter out there on Randolph at any point in time, because I think he lacks both the mobility and credibility (with officials) to be effective in that situation. So, if you pair Splitter with Duncan, you're asking Tim to play extended minutes defensively against Randolph. While I have no doubt that Tim could handle that task and could probably stay out of foul trouble, I think you'd lose a lot from him on the offensive end and I think you still run the risk that Randolph will take away your one real hope in the paint with a couple of strong moves and a favorable whistle (particularly if, for instance, you get an official like Steve Javie in Game 2, who doesn't mind pissing off a home crowd). At that point, you're trying to deal with both Gasol and Randolph with the offensively-challenged and not exactly "credibile" quartet of McDyess, Blair, Splitter, and Bonner.

Still, if the same continues in Game 2 -- if the Spurs can't hit shots from anywhere and the Grizzlies are effectively pounding the ball into the paint, I'd hope that Pop would use Splitter in situations where he could check Gasol for periods of time -- mostly when Duncan sits, and particularly if Gasol is in the game and Randolph is not (there was a 3 minute stretch of the 1st quarter and a 3 minute stretch of the 3rd quarter when this was true; there was also a :50 stretch of the 2nd when Gasol was paired with Haddadi).

crc21209
04-18-2011, 03:34 PM
Useless thread. It's gonna take a miracle for Pop to give Tiago meaningful minutes, until then, stop making 1000000000 threads about it....

honestfool84
04-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Rummpd, couldn't you have inserted this into any of your other threads regarding Splitter?

here, let me refresh your memory.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176580

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175399

this one is more about Bonner... but there are plenty of Splitter mentions in here:http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175854

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175799

regards.

Fireball
04-18-2011, 04:30 PM
Unless I'm looking at the wrong numbers, you're right about Splitter almost having a double-double but he also shot 30% against LA (10 attempts) and had 8pts/8 boards in about 28 mins of play. Blair had 11 boards, 12 pts on 50% shooting in under 26 mins. Bonner was 3-3 from 3, 13 pts on 4-5 overall shooting, 3 boards in under 24 mins of play.

Whereas Pau Gasol had 17/17 on 7-12 shooting in 40 mins of play and Bynum had 4 pts/4 boards before going down with injury in 13 mins. Odom had 23/7.

You only took the numbers of the game against the Lakers where Tiago had his poorest performance ... all the other games before Tiago played very good and more consistent than Bonner or Blair. The Lakers have the most talented front line in the NBA - look at Timmy who just had 10 point in three games against them. Its ok to struggle against them when you only can score around the basket. With Blair and Bonner the offense runs more smoothly than with Splitter, but its time for defense now. When Monty Williams can play guys like Aaron Gray and Mbenga against the Lakers, Tiago can do not much worse against the Grizzlies.

SA210
04-18-2011, 04:38 PM

SA210
04-18-2011, 04:41 PM

Oh well

F'kin moron

SA210
04-18-2011, 04:44 PM

We've seen where this philosophy has gotten us the past couple of years.

:bang

Obstructed_View
04-18-2011, 04:48 PM

No, not actually. He was very physical against Bynum in one game and posted a double double in another if memory serves. You going to suggest that Pop keeps him out because he'd get six fouls before the first TV timeout next?

Let's point out his biggest flaws:

No jumper - That's not great, but Duncan has been really good from 15 feet out, so they would actually play well together.

Goes up weakly on offense - That little floater is ugly but he's probably got more dunks than any of the bigs despite playing a fraction of the minutes. Blair has the same ugly floater.

So his problems are on the offensive end. If the Spurs were a) not one of the top offensive teams in the league or b) relied on the center position for huge production, then you'd be reluctant to put Splitter in the game. And the Spurs' problems are on the defensive end.

*Isn't a second year player - This is what's going to doom the Spurs to watching the conference finals from their couch. Not really relevant to the discussion.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2011, 04:55 PM

Gary Neal says hi.

FromWayDowntown
04-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Gary Neal says hi.

Even Beno Udrih thinks that argument is hard to support.

Josepatches_
04-18-2011, 05:01 PM
There was like five threads on the Splitter situation on the first two pages, glad you added another one.

And I would open five more if Pop was reading them

TE
04-18-2011, 05:02 PM
The Spurs need to have one true big man if they are to have Bonner out there. Blair is undersized. That phase in the third quarter when a true big man had to be out there should have been Splitter's time. Putting Blair back in the lineup with Bonner allowed Memphis to get back into the game by playing an inside-outside game.

I hate to say it, but Pop is losing his damn mind if he thinks that abominable front-line will provide any mode of long-term success.

TE
04-18-2011, 05:05 PM

Oh well

“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. (http://thinkexist.com/quotation/we_can-t_solve_problems_by_using_the_same_kind_of/15633.html)” (Einstein)

Cane
04-18-2011, 05:06 PM
You only took the numbers of the game against the Lakers where Tiago had his poorest performance ... all the other games before Tiago played very good and more consistent than Bonner or Blair. The Lakers have the most talented front line in the NBA - look at Timmy who just had 10 point in three games against them. Its ok to struggle against them when you only can score around the basket. With Blair and Bonner the offense runs more smoothly than with Splitter, but its time for defense now. When Monty Williams can play guys like Aaron Gray and Mbenga against the Lakers, Tiago can do not much worse against the Grizzlies.

I took the numbers from the most recent game since that was the most recent example where I remember Splitter getting outworked by bigger players on the glass; he didn't log very many minutes in the other games versus the Lakers .

Gray and Mbenga were good against the Lakers in Game 1 but they are also significantly bigger than Splitter and CP3 is back to his MVP-worthy self especially against Derek Fisher. I give Duncan a free pass since he coasts in the regular season but there's no doubt that the Lakers frontcourt are going to give him problems as well.

No, not actually. He was very physical against Bynum in one game and posted a double double in another. You going to suggest that Pop keeps him out because he'd get six fouls before the first TV timeout next?

Unless I'm looking at the wrong stuff, Tiago's never posted a double-double against the Lakers. I want him to get minutes but imo it seems like posters are forgetting how easily bullied he can be against bigger and stronger post players which the Grizzlies have. People need to temper their expectations of Splitter since I fully expect Randolph and Gasol to abuse him; those guys can even abuse Duncan and Dice.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2011, 05:07 PM
Even Beno Udrih thinks that argument is hard to support.

Pretty hard to deny Pop's desire to put Don Nelson's thumbprint on the Spurs. Glad this version of Pop wasn't around in '97 or the Spurs might have traded down to get Chauncey Billups.

Josepatches_
04-18-2011, 05:21 PM

Oh well

Lol

So we aren't better than Memphis.The game was close,("it wasn't like we got beat by 25") so we played well.They hit big threes at the end and we can't do anything. :depressed:depressed

Maybe you have to change your philosophy to be up by 10 points at the end.Maybe we don't have to pray they don't hit big shots.Maybe we have to win the games at home.Maybe.Just maybe.

Mugen
04-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Pop has lost 5 straight playoff games and has said the same shit after each loss.

4 rings tho!

honestfool84
04-18-2011, 05:25 PM
Pop has lost 5 straight playoff games and has said the same shit after each loss.

4 rings tho!

WTF do you suggest replace Pop?

Obstructed_View
04-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Unless I'm looking at the wrong stuff, Tiago's never posted a double-double against the Lakers. I want him to get minutes but imo it seems like posters are forgetting how easily bullied he can be against bigger and stronger post players which the Grizzlies have. People need to temper their expectations of Splitter since I fully expect Randolph and Gasol to abuse him; those guys can even abuse Duncan and Dice.

No I stupidly looked at his splits instead of his game stats. Sorry about that.

That said, the reason posters are "forgetting how easily builled he can be by bigger and stronger post players" is because he is not at all easily bullied by bigger and stronger post players and hasn't been at any point this season. There's almost nobody bigger or stronger than Bynum and Splitter held his own against him.

Besides, bringing up any deficiency of size, length, athletecism, or defensive ability is pretty silly since each and every big in the Spurs' rotation is behind Splitter in three of those.four categories.

Mugen
04-18-2011, 05:41 PM

Preferably, a coach who's gotten over himself.

Dex
04-18-2011, 05:43 PM

4 rings tho!

I'll give Pop the benefit of the doubt more than most posters, but this "the other team just made shots" shit is just getting out of control.

Earth to Pop: that's what defense is supposed to be there for.

honestfool84
Preferably, a coach who's gotten over himself.

well there you go. all you do is complain about Pop, yet if given the chance, you wouldn't even know of a plausible solution.

available, there is no better coach out there.

Obstructed_View

Most high school basketball coaches don't walk away from a game in which the opposing front line scores 49 points on 76 percent shooting and grabs 23 rebounds and says that the only problem is that they missed a couple of baskets.

honestfool84
04-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Most high school basketball coaches don't walk away from a game in which the opposing front line scores 49 points on 76 percent shooting and grabs 23 rebounds and says that the only problem is that they missed a couple of baskets.

oh, so you're suggesting most high school basketball coaches would be a better fit?

come on OV... i usually respect your opinion, but... come on...... :lol

Old School 44
04-18-2011, 05:48 PM
For me the Splitter discussion is about "known" vs. "unknown". The known is what the Spurs get from Bonner/Blair/Dice. The unknown is how Splitter will play with Duncan on the big stage. He's not a typical rookie. He's played in big international games, give him a few minutes just to humor us, let's see how he does.

Brodels
04-18-2011, 05:49 PM
This is all pretty rich. I think you could take one of the playoff meltdown threads from seven or so years ago, chance the dates and name of the opponent, and it would be exactly the same. Hell, even many of the characters are still the same.

I do think that unless Duncan can play 38 minutes of focused, engaged, productive, physical basketball every night in the playoffs, the Spurs are in trouble. Memphis may not have the talent to win the series, but even if San Antonio advances, some big and tough front lines await them. It certainly wouldn't hurt to give Tiago some burn. None of the other frontline compliments to Duncan are a lock to be any better.

IMO, The lack of defense and toughness up front is the second biggest concern after health.

Mugen
04-18-2011, 05:50 PM
well there you go. all you do is complain about Pop, yet if given the chance, you wouldn't even know of a plausible solution.

Probably not during the 1st round of the playoffs, no. You got me there.

I just don't feel like sucking him off after every dumbass move he's made in the 2nd half of this season. That's why we have you.

honestfool84
04-18-2011, 05:53 PM

I just don't feel like sucking him off after every dumbass move he's made in the 2nd half of this season. That's why we have you.

not during the 1st round? there isn't any coach for any round, better than Pop, available.

show me where i've sucked off Pop at all. i'm just as disappointed in the loss, and i would love for Splitter to be played, even if just a bit....

SenorSpur
04-18-2011, 05:56 PM

Pop's dismissive comments prove that he's full of shit. Hey, there's no disputing he's a great coach. However, this is possibly yet another example of his out-and-out stubborness. He chained George Hill to the bench during the 2009 playoffs, when it was obvious to everyone the kid could play. He did the same with Blair, at some points, last year.

Is Pop simply going to keep Tiago on the bench because he feels the guys in front of him are more productive? Or does Pop want to demonstrate that HE is the smartest guy in the room, and not give into public pressure? I don't know which, but you've got to know that he's seen the "Free Tiago" placards at the games. He's heard the clamor from both fans and perhaps even his assistants on why Tiago needs to play.

Pop likes to preach the importance of players "getting over themselves". Sounds to me like he needs to take his own advice.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2011, 05:58 PM
oh, so you're suggesting most high school basketball coaches would be a better fit?

come on OV... i usually respect your opinion, but... come on...... :lol

What about my post was incorrect? The Spurs gave up 76 percent shooting to Randolph and Gasol, and Pop thinks the answer is a shooting guard.

If an NFL coach has the quarterback punt on third down to try to catch the defense off guard and get some extra field position, and does it four times a game against every opponent, you start wondering what the fuck he's doing.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Pop likes to preach the importance of players "getting over themselves". Sounds to me like he needs to take his own advice.

No quote in the history of ST has been more true.

SenorSpur
04-18-2011, 05:59 PM
This is all pretty rich. I think you coulld take one of the playoff meltdown threads from seven or so years ago, chance the dates and name of the opponent, and it would be exactly the same. Hell, even many of the characters are still the same.

I do think that unless Duncan can play 38 minutes of focused, engaged, productive, physical basketball every night in the playoffs, the Spurs are in trouble. Memphis may not have the talent to win the series, but even if San Antonio advances, some big and tough front lines await them. It certainly wouldn't hurt to give Tiago some burn. None of the other frontline compliments to Duncan are a lock to be any better.

IMO, The lack of defense and toughness up front is the second biggest concern after health.

Don't forget declining productivity. We all saw last year, in the playoff series versus the Suns, just how far TD has fallen defensively. That All-NBA power forward isn't coming back. WHile he can conjure up moments, he can no longer move his feet well. Therefore, he very susceptible defensively. Yet he's STILL the Spurs best interior defender. What's wrong with that picture?

Duncan can no longer save the day by himself. He needs more support. Splitter is the best answer.

John Basedow
04-18-2011, 06:01 PM

I love how some fans think that just because a coach has a good track record with great players, he's infallible...Pop has done many things well, but his failure to develop another big (be it trading Scola, ignoring Splitter, etc) since the Admiral's retirement has hurt the Spurs. He's probably the best PF of all-time and you gotta make the most of his remaining productive years.

Phil's won 11 rings but it's pretty evident that he doesn't give a shit anymore, and his indifference is contagious to the rest of the team (outside of Kobe).

Sometimes good coaches are either too proud or too lazy to make the proper adjustments.

dbestpro
04-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Big Spurs fan here etc,etc

I agree, but I also believe it is too late because Pop never prepared the team to play with Duncan and Splitter on the floor at the same time. It is not fair to expect Splitter and company to learn how to play together after the playoffs had already started.

Funny, how this was one of Pops best season records and at the same time one of his worse playoff preps.

Mugen
04-18-2011, 06:03 PM
not during the 1st round? there isn't any coach for any round, better than Pop, available.

show me where i've sucked off Pop at all. i'm just as disappointed in the loss, and i would love for Splitter to be played, even if just a bit....

I agree, there isn't. That doesn't mean I have to agree with all the dumbass things he's done the last 2 months.

Good, me too. At least i'm not starting a million threads about it. i felt my "F*** You, Pop" thread was sufficient.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Don't forget declining productivity. We all saw last year, in the playoff series versus the Suns, just how far TD has fallen defensively. That All-NBA power forward isn't coming back. WHile he can conjure up moments, he can no longer move his feet well.

Didn't Pop decide to switch on the pick and roll and had Duncan trying to guard Grant Hill, Steve Nash and Goran Dragic for four games with no adjustments? Was there ever a time that Duncan was useful checking guards 20 feet from the basket with no legitimate bigs behind him?

Old School 44
04-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Don't forget declining productivity. We all saw last year, in the playoff series versus the Suns, just how far TD has fallen defensively. That All-NBA power forward isn't coming back. WHile he can conjure up moments, he can no longer move his feet well. Therefore, he very susceptible defensively. Yet he's STILL the Spurs best interior defender. What's wrong with that picture?

Duncan can no longer save the day by himself. He needs more support. Splitter is the best answer.

Sure he's lost a step, but it doesn't help that he's literally playing interior D by himself.

SenorSpur
04-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Didn't Pop decide to switch on the pick and roll and had Duncan trying to guard Grant Hill, Steve Nash and Goran Dragic for four games with no adjustments? Was there ever a time that Duncan was useful checking guards 20 feet from the basket with no legitimate bigs behind him?

Never.

When you look at what Duncan has around him and watching him being forced into same, unfavorable defensive switches for which he is woefully mismatched, you realize that nothing has changed in 12 months. Duncan is an old man out on an island, 20 feet from the basket.

Rummpd
04-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Two coaches to replace Pop (send him to the President's chair and let him chill out with wine):

M. Brown - plausible
Larry Brown - very unlikely but would game plan like hell

Both available, both would have Pop's respect and M. Brown while Cleveland did not win a title lived and died on defense.

SenorSpur
04-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Sure he's lost a step, but it doesn't help that he's literally playing interior D by himself.

True and it's Pop's greatest sin as President of basketball Operations. Was he not watching that playoff series against the Suns? The fact that he simply elected to enter another season with TD as the only solid interior post presence, is just irresponsible.

SenorSpur
04-18-2011, 06:15 PM
Two coaches to replace Pop:

M. Brown
Larry Brown

Both available, both would have Pop's respect and M. Brown while Cleveland did not win a title lived and died on defense.

I doni't think Pop needs to be replaced. He just needs to get his head out of his ass, and stop denying what is seemingly apparent to everyone - except him - his frontline is undersized, undermanned and more importantly, he has a backup center on the bench that is woefully underutlized.

Mugen
04-18-2011, 06:16 PM

I love how some fans think that just because a coach has a good track record with great players, he's infallible...Pop has done many things well, but his failure to develop another big (be it trading Scola, ignoring Splitter, etc) since the Admiral's retirement has hurt the Spurs. He's probably the best PF of all-time and you gotta make the most of his remaining productive years.

Phil's won 11 rings but it's pretty evident that he doesn't give a shit anymore, and his indifference is contagious to the rest of the team (outside of Kobe).

Sometimes good coaches are either too proud or too lazy to make the proper adjustments.

What up DD.

Phil's arrogance has cost em in the past. But at least he doesn't coach scared like Pop does. He put Trey freaking Johnson in the game yesterday and Tiago didn't see a second :lol

Old School 44
04-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Two coaches to replace Pop:

M. Brown
Larry Brown

Definitely NO on Larry Brown. We already travelled that road. Besides, where do you think Pop inherited his stubborness gene?

Rummpd
04-18-2011, 06:17 PM
You got a point on Larry Brown i would not want that it is just he would adjust more IMO.

Mugen
04-18-2011, 06:20 PM
True and it's Pop's greatest sin as President of basketball Operations. Was he not watching that playoff series against the Suns? The fact that he simply elected to enter another season with TD as the only solid interior post presence, is just irresponsible.

8 years since D-Rob and the best running partner the FO could muster for TD was a past their prime Horry and Oberto.

Old School 44
04-18-2011, 06:22 PM

Yep, people laugh, but I was a Mahinmi supporter until the end.
Still never figured out what he did to not warrant a better on-court look.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Two coaches to replace Pop (send him to the President's chair and let him chill out with wine):

M. Brown - plausible
Larry Brown - very unlikely but would game plan like hell

Larry Brown? Where do you think Pop got the idea from that anyone who didn't go through training camp is worthless to the team their first year?

romad_20
04-18-2011, 06:24 PM
You got a point on Larry Brown i would not want that it is just he would adjust more IMO.

Larry brown would never, ever play a rookie big mins. Also I'm not sure where youre getting that he would adjust more. There's a reason he's coached and been forced out or quit on so many teams

John Basedow
04-18-2011, 06:27 PM
What up DD.

Phil's arrogance has cost em in the past. But at least he doesn't coach scared like Pop does. He put Trey freaking Johnson in the game yesterday and Tiago didn't see a second :lol

tbh I had no idea who he was a week ago.:lol

I made this analogy to Phil a few days ago, but in retrospect it's more befitting of Pop: Pop has turned into Walter Kurtz from Apocalypse Now (or Heart of Darkness for you readers out there). He was once brilliant but now he's clearly gone insane. There are still many Pop minions and mini-Dennis Hoppers running around praising his name, but his "methods are unsound."

Phil has basically become "the guy on the couch" from Half-Baked...indifferent to what's going on around him and giving cues every so often.

They both need a break, if not permanent retirement.

mingus
04-18-2011, 06:54 PM
From what I've seen, I don't think that there's much that Tiago Splitter could have done on Sunday to have curbed the abuse that the Spurs bigs took in the paint. I'm intrigued by Tiago's size and I think he can play. But I also think that he plays best when things are loosy-goosy schematically. He scores best in scramble situations and he's most effective defensively (to me) when he doesn't have to worry about rotations and such; when the game slows down and requires that players stay true to a scheme, he's much more of a thinker than a player and, in those situations, I think he's relatively passive and foul-prone.

With that said, I don't think it would be advisable to run Splitter out there on Randolph at any point in time, because I think he lacks both the mobility and credibility (with officials) to be effective in that situation. So, if you pair Splitter with Duncan, you're asking Tim to play extended minutes defensively against Randolph. While I have no doubt that Tim could handle that task and could probably stay out of foul trouble, I think you'd lose a lot from him on the offensive end and I think you still run the risk that Randolph will take away your one real hope in the paint with a couple of strong moves and a favorable whistle (particularly if, for instance, you get an official like Steve Javie in Game 2, who doesn't mind pissing off a home crowd). At that point, you're trying to deal with both Gasol and Randolph with the offensively-challenged and not exactly "credibile" quartet of McDyess, Blair, Splitter, and Bonner.

Still, if the same continues in Game 2 -- if the Spurs can't hit shots from anywhere and the Grizzlies are effectively pounding the ball into the paint, I'd hope that Pop would use Splitter in situations where he could check Gasol for periods of time -- mostly when Duncan sits, and particularly if Gasol is in the game and Randolph is not (there was a 3 minute stretch of the 1st quarter and a 3 minute stretch of the 3rd quarter when this was true; there was also a :50 stretch of the 2nd when Gasol was paired with Haddadi).

not enough mobility? Tiago has more mobility than anyone on the Spurs frontline. that's ridiculous. he has great mobility for his position. he's great at checking guards on the pick 'n roll and he also gets into position to draw a lot of charges. both of those require quick feet, esp. the former. confusing critique. the officiating thing i agree with. but you're going to let that decide whether you put him on Randolph? seriously?

THE SPURS LET GASOL AND RANDOLPH SCORE 49 AND REBOUND 23 in GAME 1. THEY ARE NOT IN POSITION TO BE BASING THEIR STRATEGY ON HOW TO GUARD THE FRONTLINE ON "RESPECT" FROM THE OFFICIALS. :lmao

SA210
04-18-2011, 08:19 PM
not enough mobility? Tiago has more mobility than anyone on the Spurs frontline. that's ridiculous. he has great mobility for his position. he's great at checking guards on the pick 'n roll and he also gets into position to draw a lot of charges. both of those require quick feet, esp. the former. confusing critique. the officiating thing i agree with. but you're going to let that decide whether you put him on Randolph? seriously?

THE SPURS LET GASOL AND RANDOLPH SCORE 49 AND REBOUND 23 in GAME 1. THEY ARE NOT IN POSITION TO BE BASING THEIR STRATEGY ON HOW TO GUARD THE FRONTLINE ON "RESPECT" FROM THE OFFICIALS. :lmao

:lmao
:tu

honestfool84
04-18-2011, 08:35 PM
^^^ :lol

Obstructed_View
04-18-2011, 09:09 PM
tbh I had no idea who he was a week ago.:lol

I made this analogy to Phil a few days ago, but in retrospect it's more befitting of Pop: Pop has turned into Walter Kurtz from Apocalypse Now (or Heart of Darkness for you readers out there). He was once brilliant but now he's clearly gone insane. There are still many Pop minions and mini-Dennis Hoppers running around praising his name, but his "methods are unsound."

Phil has basically become "the guy on the couch" from Half-Baked...indifferent to what's going on around him and giving cues every so often.

They both need a break, if not permanent retirement.

One major difference between Pop and Phil, though. There's a secret in NBA basketball, which is that talent always beats coaching. Phil still remembers that, and Pop forgot it years ago.

mingus
04-18-2011, 09:40 PM

shit like this is absolutely unreadable. it's a goddamn forum, yo. a MOTHERFUCKING FORUM. complaining about people who complain on a forum is like complaining about the smell of shit in a bathroom.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2011, 09:55 PM
By the way, how is "Start a center at the center position" not a plausible solution?

Capt Bringdown
04-18-2011, 11:13 PM
What is Pop's fear? That playing Splitter would wreck the team? What's the downside of giving Splitter a look when players who are ahead of him are not getting the job done?
What's the downside of us having more length and defense in the rotation?

SenorSpur
04-18-2011, 11:54 PM
I'll say this. This is probably this team's last go-around. With an impending lockout looming that could either shorten or cancel next season, the continued decline of Duncan and the likehood that both Manu and TP will again be participating with their National teams, this could very well be their last shot at another ring.

With that in mind, that further begs the question, what is Pop holding Splitter out for?

ChumpDumper
04-19-2011, 03:35 AM
So no one emailed him?

Capt Bringdown
04-19-2011, 04:28 AM
With that in mind, that further begs the question, what is Pop holding Splitter out for?

He thinks his existing rotation is as good it as it gets, and/or that Splitter is not good enough or not ready.

We're talking about incompetence here. A massive blunder that will haunt Spurs fans for years to come, similar to the Scola debacle.

John_C
04-19-2011, 07:12 AM
Pop will eventually play Tiago late in the series. And then because of inexperience in the playoffs, Tiago will incur a lot of costly rookie mistakes. And then Pop will have a smirk on his face, and will be thinking, "That's why I don't like to play rookies".

Fucking hilarious!

Capt Bringdown
04-19-2011, 07:50 AM
And then because of inexperience in the playoffs...

And lack of consistent playing time during the regular season. Remember, when Tim was out, Splitter filled in with almost a double/double average. Pop then demoted him to the very last man off the bench.

Isitjustme?
04-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Splitter should start next game. If Blair can play with Duncan then Splitter can too. He spaces the floor about as well as Blair...

SenorSpur
04-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Pop will eventually play Tiago late in the series. And then because of inexperience in the playoffs, Tiago will incur a lot of costly rookie mistakes. And then Pop will have a smirk on his face, and will be thinking, "That's why I don't like to play rookies".

Fucking hilarious!

WHich is nothing more than a bullshit excuse to justify his own stubborness. What good does is it to have a player with "corporate knoledge", if he skill-set is so limited, such that he gets his as waxed on both ends of the floor? Knowing the system is one thing, implementing is another.

MaNu4Tres
04-19-2011, 10:59 AM

It's not fair to Matty and DB.

If Pop plays Splitter over both, Matty and DB would be very upset at their demotion.

It's just not fair to upset those two, one can spread the floor and the other one is too immature to handle the truth.

Dex
04-19-2011, 11:05 AM
So no one emailed him?

If only Pop had the tweets....

Thomas82
04-19-2011, 01:33 PM

Which is nothing more than a bullshit excuse to justify his own stubborness. What good is it to have a player with "corporate knowledge" if he skill-set is so limited that he gets his ass waxed on both ends of the floor? Knowing the system is one thing, implementing is another.

Both of these are on point!! The workload TD has to carry in the post is just too much for him at his age. This is where the Spurs (Gregg Popovich) has failed him the most. Once David Robinson declined to the point of no longer being an All-Star, they started depending on Tim too much. His knees wouldn't be in the shape they are in if he had more help before now.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Well, just to add one more comment to this mess I can safely assume at this point that this game (and series) will only be won by proper coaching. Hopefully Manu can lend a hand but I trust Pop's judgement above all - obviously he needs to stop micromanaging this team to the smallest detail.

silverblk mystix
04-19-2011, 04:36 PM
What is Pop's fear? That playing Splitter would wreck the team? What's the downside of giving Splitter a look when players who are ahead of him are not getting the job done?
What's the downside of us having more length and defense in the rotation?

Here's an example of Pop's logic....

If Pop was coaching the grizz and had Randolph and Gasol ....and the Spurs countered with Bonner for 25 minutes to spread the floor....

Pop would have benched one of his bigs to "match-up" with the spurs using Bonner....

He would have gone small and lost his "big" advantage....

chazley
04-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Here's an example of Pop's logic....

If Pop was coaching the grizz and had Randolph and Gasol ....and the Spurs countered with Bonner for 25 minutes to spread the floor....

Pop would have benched one of his bigs to "match-up" with the spurs using Bonner....

He would have gone small and lost his "big" advantage....

Yea, cause, you know, he never had a twin towers during his coaching career we can base that off of...

DeadlyDynasty
04-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Yea, cause, you know, he never had a twin towers during his coaching career we can base that off of...

Can Pop do no wrong in your eyes?

Rummpd
04-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Spurs playing hard and overall well but hard to get separation from taller Grizz - gee go figure a potential solution but alas not happening. Spurs may win game and even series but this shortsighted B.S. is killing my enthusiasm to watch but like many Spurs fans we maintain hope.

jeebus
04-20-2011, 09:47 PM
It's like 5 on 4 when Bonner on the floor. I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs got swept.

Rummpd
04-20-2011, 10:00 PM
It's like 5 on 4 when Bonner on the floor. I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs got swept.

Fortunetely the Spurs have a lot of talent and heart still and are trying to make up for Pop's B.S.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Tiago can't get off the pine while Blair and Bonner get destroyed, but Danny Green is in at the end of the game :lol

Spurologist
04-20-2011, 10:15 PM
FUCK YOU POP! Get over your fucking pride and at least give Splitter a run out there