PDA

View Full Version : Zach Randolph receives a 4 year, $71,000,000 extension

Kyle Orton
04-18-2011, 09:35 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6377990

This maybe the brightest future Memphis has had, but damn, they're certainly investing A LOT with this current group.

DeadlyDynasty
04-18-2011, 09:38 AM
As soon as he signs it he will turn into Vin Baker

Amuseddaysleeper
04-18-2011, 09:42 AM
So how much will they offer M. Gasol? They also gave Gay 80 odd million, and Conley a whopping 40 million.

Tinystarz
04-18-2011, 09:43 AM
http://thebiggestnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/surprised.gif

Bito Corleone
04-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Michael Heisley is doing a great job in helping the owners case to lower player salaries because of teams not being able to turn a profit.

Kyle Orton
04-18-2011, 09:48 AM
I find it funny that Amare and other guys receive tons of scoffing for getting max contracts when Randolph gets close to a max contract after 2 years of good behavior. How many contracts like this will make people realize that the NBA's talent pool is thinning out (particularly at PF and C), there are several weak drafts in the near future, and there are 30 teams fighting for whatever small amount of talent is up for grabs at any given time. Any big man who's shown the ability to produce 20+ PPG @ 50+% scoring and 8+ RPG is gonna get a max contract or darn close to it, regardless of how bad his defense might be.

Mal
04-18-2011, 09:52 AM
3...2..1. Z-Bo got his money, and I know it`s time for him to go for vacations.

DeadlyDynasty
04-18-2011, 09:59 AM
Great news for the Spurs.

Kyle Orton
04-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Michael Heisley is doing a great job in helping the owners case to lower player salaries because of teams not being able to turn a profit.

No kidding. The owners like Sarver and Heisley who expect major change with the new CBA are backing themselves into a corner. Good luck convincing the union you want a completely restructured NBA pay system with the contracts you've given out in the last year.

Cry Havoc
04-18-2011, 10:09 AM
http://thebiggestnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/surprised.gif

:lmao

I find it funny that Amare and other guys receive tons of scoffing for getting max contracts when Randolph gets close to a max contract after 2 years of good behavior. How many contracts like this will make people realize that the NBA's talent pool is thinning out (particularly at PF and C), there are several weak drafts in the near future, and there are 30 teams fighting for whatever small amount of talent is up for grabs at any given time. Any big man who's shown the ability to produce 20+ PPG @ 50+% scoring and 8+ RPG is gonna get a max contract or darn close to it, regardless of how bad his defense might be.

Truth. Though I think part of the scoffing is due not to the fact that the contracts are so huge, but that the talent pool is so thin that it enables a guy like Randolph to land such a colossal contract. It's kind of disgusting.

As in, if every great/good SG suddenly ceased to exist, and Corey Maggette landed a max deal. Sure if he was the best SG left he might be worth it, but how hard would that be to watch as an NBA fan?

sefant77
04-18-2011, 10:23 AM

He had a similar contract the past 5 years and didnt turn into Vin Baker. I actually think he grew the past two years and starts enjoying being an important part of a playoff team.

But anyway, Memphis again shows how bad their FO ist.

They blew Max at Gay as RFA (!) without even waiting what offers he would get from other teams to match this offer.

They extended Conley early in the season after a great start, 45million. Not necessary in this moment. Conley would have signed easily a 35-40million contract. The league is full with young PGs.

A good FO:
Wait for other Gay offers and match (probably around 65-70 million), extend Conley in another moment for 35-40 and extend Zach for 60/4.

They will pay Gasol probably 60/5. No way they can cheap out on him now without being again the biggest joke in the NBA

ChrisRichards
04-18-2011, 10:24 AM
I really hope Zach has turned the corner for good, I really do. He's such a great player when he sets his mind straight. They wont be able to resign Marc Gasol though.

sefant77
04-18-2011, 10:30 AM
They will.

If Gasol get 50/5 they can keep their S5 core for around 55-60 million.

What gonna happen is that they cheap out on their bench. Pretty sure they wont extend Mayo next year and try to fill their bench with low costs talents and vets.

Ashy Larry
04-18-2011, 10:34 AM
well deserved .... all he gives you is 20 and 10-12 boards. if Memphis can keep that nucleus together and find that missing piece, they'll be really nice ......

tlongII
04-18-2011, 10:55 AM
Z-Bo has always been a hard worker. His problem is that he's a knucklehead. If he stays out of trouble away from the court the money is well-deserved.

DeadlyDynasty
04-18-2011, 11:00 AM
They will.

If Gasol get 50/5 they can keep their S5 core for around 55-60 million.

What gonna happen is that they cheap out on their bench. Pretty sure they wont extend Mayo next year and try to fill their bench with low costs talents and vets.

Seems to be working for Miami.

JamStone
04-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Lol Z-Bo making more than either LeBron or Wade over the next four years

Probably means the Grizzlies will continue to shop OJ Mayo after the playoffs, especially if they are thinking about re-signing Gasol as well. Wonder if Indiana is still interested and what other teams are a possible trade partner. He has his issues, but I'd trade the Pistons lottery pick and spare parts for OJ Mayo.

JamStone
04-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Z-Bo has always been a hard worker. His problem is that he's a knucklehead. If he stays out of trouble away from the court the money is well-deserved.

Don't know if I agree about him being a hard worker. I think he puts in the effort in games and he obviously works on his game skills wise. But I'm curious how dominant he could be if he ever worked on his physique and conditioning. I know his game isn't predicated on athleticism or explosion, but imagine if he had a little more of each to go along with his skill set.

Muser
04-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Chicago should go after Mayo hard.

DeadlyDynasty
04-18-2011, 11:18 AM

That would almost be unfair if they got him.

ArtVandelay
04-18-2011, 11:23 AM

LMAO!
without question
this will be his last productive season

LnGrrrR
04-18-2011, 11:24 AM

Ugh, why'd you have to bring him up...

DeadlyDynasty
04-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Ugh, why'd you have to bring him up...

Gameface:

http://soulhonky.com/candanny/040123_vinBaker_vmed_4p.widec.jpg

Cry Havoc
04-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Lol Z-Bo making more than either LeBron or Wade over the next four years

Probably means the Grizzlies will continue to shop OJ Mayo after the playoffs, especially if they are thinking about re-signing Gasol as well. Wonder if Indiana is still interested and what other teams are a possible trade partner. He has his issues, but I'd trade the Pistons lottery pick and spare parts for OJ Mayo.

Sad. I can't see the Grizzlies ever competing with the way their contract situation is shaping up. Randolph is good, but is he worth destroying any chance you have at future acquisitions?

Giuseppe
04-18-2011, 11:27 AM
How bout that Booth guy. He parlayed 2 games in one series into a 4 generation nest egg.

Muser
04-18-2011, 11:33 AM

Rose
Mayo
Deng
Boozer
Noah
:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow

LnGrrrR
04-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Having Vin Baker in Boston was like going to the family get-togethers and having to deal with that one uncle who always gets drunk and embarasses himself. Painful for everyone involved.

Booharv

Tbh I know you scoff point guard based teams, but there is an insane amount of point guard talent in the league right now. That combined with the amount of crappy big men in the league is why there are so many teams built around pgs.

Chicago did go very hard after Mayo during the season. But Heisley has a home in the Chicago area and sources say he is very hesitant to have it appear like he lost a trade to the Bulls. He has some weird issue with them reportedly. Chi offered him two firsts, a second, and Ronnie Brewer for Mayo and he turned that down but went for one first and Josh McRoberts from Indiana.

Giuseppe
Rose
Mayo
Deng
Boozer
Noah
:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow

Before it's over Boozer will make them sorry. You can see it coming.

ManuBalboa
04-18-2011, 11:37 AM
ZBO is still good through this series. He won't Bonzi until next year.

Muser
04-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Before it's over Boozer will make them sorry. You can see it coming.

Agree tbh, i'd be shocked if Chicago win with Boozer.

DeadlyDynasty
04-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Having Vin Baker in Boston was like going to the family get-togethers and having to deal with that one uncle who always gets drunk and embarasses himself. Painful for everyone involved.

I know the feeling

http://lakers.ocregister.com/files//web/sites/wordpress-mu-1.3.3/wp-content/blogs.dir/140/files//2008/07/kwame-brown.jpg

LnGrrrR
04-18-2011, 11:57 AM
I know the feeling

http://lakers.ocregister.com/files//web/sites/wordpress-mu-1.3.3/wp-content/blogs.dir/140/files//2008/07/kwame-brown.jpg

Yeah, but Kwame Brown just sucked.

Vin Baker was actually suffering through alcoholism, which made it awkward as a fan. You wanted to boo the guy, but then you're like, "You know, I feel bad for him. He's pretty messed up."

From wiki:

Boston Celtics and New York Knicks

While his career averages include 15.1 points per game, his numbers had dropped considerably in recent years. After the 1998-99 NBA lockout season, Baker's weight ballooned to near 300 pounds and his game suffered tremendously. While Baker was able to get his weight down to around 250, Baker revealed that he was a recovering alcoholic who used to binge in hotel rooms and at home after playing poorly. In an interview in the Boston Globe, Baker said Celtics coach Jim O'Brien smelled alcohol on him in practice and confronted him about it. The team suspended him and he was eventually released. Baker would sign with the New York Knicks. The team reached the playoffs in the 2003-04 NBA season.

Isitjustme?
04-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Bulls would be favorites with Mayo imho.

DeadlyDynasty
04-18-2011, 12:05 PM

Vin Baker was actually suffering through alcoholism, which made it awkward as a fan. You wanted to boo the guy, but then you're like, "You know, I feel bad for him. He's pretty messed up."

From wiki:

It was awkward b/c all massholes are alcoholics, and it would've been hypocritical to boo.
j/k:lol

Seriously though, the reference articles on his wiki page are comically depressing:

1. "Athletes Who Damaged Their Careers With Drug Abuse"
2. "Wolves sign Vin Baker to nonguaranteed contract"
3. "Vin diesels out of Minnesota as Wolves release Baker"
4. "TD Banknorth foreclosing on Vin Baker's restaurant"
5. "Baker stopped for driving erratically, failed field sobriety test"
6. "Vin Baker Joins List Of Athlete Home Foreclosures"
7. " The Famous and Foreclosured"

I imagine Antoine Walker's wiki page looks the same

JamStone
04-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Bulls would be crazy with OJ filling in that hole at SG. Would seem like a good fit too. Good long range shooter, and has proven he can score at this level. Not lockdown, but decent defender when motivated. And when Rose is scoring like crazy as he obviously does, OJ has some PG skills as well.

But what do the Bulls have to offer that would allow Memphis to even consider it? Would they be willing to give up Taj Gibson, CJ Watson? Is that enough? What good are their two late first round picks in this draft when it's one of the weakest drafts in the past decade? Those late first rounders are about as good as late second rounders, except worse because unless you send them to Europe, they get guaranteed contracts.

But yeah, it would be very scary for the Eastern Conference if the Bulls did get Mayo. They'd be set with a core for another good 5-6 years.

LnGrrrR
04-18-2011, 12:09 PM
It was awkward b/c all massholes are alcoholics, and it would've been hypocritical to boo.
j/k:lol

Seriously though, the reference articles on his wiki page are comically depressing:

1. "Athletes Who Damaged Their Careers With Drug Abuse"
2. "Wolves sign Vin Baker to nonguaranteed contract"
3. "Vin diesels out of Minnesota as Wolves release Baker"
4. "TD Banknorth foreclosing on Vin Baker's restaurant"
5. "Baker stopped for driving erratically, failed field sobriety test"
6. "Vin Baker Joins List Of Athlete Home Foreclosures"
7. " The Famous and Foreclosured"

I imagine Antoine Walker's wiki page looks the same

Whichever writer came up with that "Vin diesels..." headline should be found and shot.

And that is probably the most depressing wiki link list I can think of.

DeadlyDynasty
04-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Bulls would be crazy with OJ filling in that hole at SG. Would seem like a good fit too. Good long range shooter, and has proven he can score at this level. Not lockdown, but decent defender when motivated. And when Rose is scoring like crazy as he obviously does, OJ has some PG skills as well.

But what do the Bulls have to offer that would allow Memphis to even consider it? Would they be willing to give up Taj Gibson, CJ Watson? Is that enough? What good are their two late first round picks in this draft when it's one of the weakest drafts in the past decade? Those late first rounders are about as good as late second rounders, except worse because unless you send them to Europe, they get guaranteed contracts.

But yeah, it would be very scary for the Eastern Conference if the Bulls did get Mayo. They'd be set with a core for another good 5-6 years.

Anything's possible when Memphis is involved.

Giuseppe
04-18-2011, 12:11 PM

No. Phil just tried to turn him into a low post offensive threat. It was crazy, but, Phil tried something similiar with Smush Parker as an NBA point guard. I still can't reconcile it.

Brown is an oak tree in the paint on defense. I'd still employ him as a back up center.

Parker was not a professional basketball player. That was borderline criminal of Jackson to brazen it out with him. It ened up with Kobe nearly beating Buss up over it.

LnGrrrR
04-18-2011, 12:13 PM
No. Phil just tried to turn him into a low post offensive threat. It was crazy, but, Phil tried something similiar with Smush Parker as an NBA point guard. I still can't reconcile it.

Brown is an oak tree in the paint on defense. I'd still employ him as a back up center.

Parker was not a professional basketball player. That was borderline criminal of Jackson to brazen it out with him. It ened up with Kobe nearly beating Buss up over it.

Recognized Culby. I just meant that Kwame Brown suffered from a lack of talent in the position he played. He wasn't as tragic/pathetic a figure as Vin Baker, who was severely in grip to the demons of alcohol.

JamStone
04-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Anything's possible when Memphis is involved.

Lol true. I heard CJ Watson is the next Javaris Crittendon. And Omer Asik is just as good as his older brother, Ahmet Asik.

DeadlyDynasty
04-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Lol true. I heard CJ Watson is the next Javaris Crittendon. And Omer Asik is just as good as his older brother, Ahmet Asik.

Hey if we threw out the last 3 years and just concentrated on yesterday, then I'd say the Grizzlies got a steal:lol

Somewhere in East LA Allanon is smiling today

TD21-FTW
04-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Rose 20,000,000 $
Mayo 8,000,000$
Deng 8,000,000$
Boozer 12,000,000$
Noah 11,000,000$

Greg Oden
04-18-2011, 01:15 PM
props to Z-Blubber who finds ways to dominate triggas whilst not being able to jump 3" off the ground.

and OJ May:lol to Chicag:lol = NB:lol F:lolcked

sefant77
04-18-2011, 01:25 PM
The Grizzlies will trade Mayo to the Lakers for the expiring contract of the Staples janitor...

Giuseppe
04-18-2011, 01:28 PM
The Grizzlies will trade Mayo to the Lakers for the expiring contract of the Staples janitor...

Will you be joining your dad in Memphis?

InRareForm
04-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Ridiculous. Wasn't the Grizz organization bitching about salary and the state of the NBA many years back...?

04-18-2011, 04:37 PM
so grizzlies traded gasol to free up cap room to sign z bo and gay to near max and max contracts? lmao. and another rofl at trading love for mayo and signing allen iverson. this franchise is a joke.

rayjayjohnson
04-18-2011, 04:57 PM
Kyle Orton butthurt about amare again

Kyle Orton
04-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Did tlong seriously call Randolph a hard worker? How could someone who's always 50 pounds overweight be a hard worker?

ginobili's bald spot
04-18-2011, 05:17 PM
Giving out contracts like this to players like Z-bo is not a recipe for success in the NBA.

Bill_Brasky
04-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Just fucking retarded. Z-bo is good, but he's not THAT good. Memphis is just a dumb organization.....

ginobili's bald spot
04-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Just fucking retarded. Z-bo is good, but he's not THAT good. Memphis is just a dumb organization.....

Who the hell is that in your avatar? Can you please change that? It hurts my eyes.

Bill_Brasky
04-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Who the hell is that in your avatar? Can you please change that? It hurts my eyes.

Jessica Black, and that's the point.

Look at her. LOOK.

ginobili's bald spot
04-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Jessica Black, and that's the point.

Look at her. LOOK.

I have no idea who that is but just looking at her face makes me angry.

Bill_Brasky
04-18-2011, 06:34 PM
I have no idea who that is but just looking at her face makes me angry.

CD2LRROpph0

Prepare your gun, you'll need it for committing suicide in about 2 minutes.

Darrin
04-18-2011, 06:52 PM
I know the feeling:

http://notqualifiedtocomment.com/wp-content/uploads/ept_sports_nba_experts-630605339-1255642699.jpg
12.3 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 2.3 apg, and .68 spg in 144 games with the Pistons. The Pistons are 57-107 since signing him to a 5-year, 60-million dollar contract.

John Basedow
04-18-2011, 06:56 PM
I know the feeling:

http://notqualifiedtocomment.com/wp-content/uploads/ept_sports_nba_experts-630605339-1255642699.jpg
12.3 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 2.3 apg, and .68 spg in 144 games with the Pistons. The Pistons are 57-107 since signing him to a 5-year, 60-million dollar contract.

That Bulls-Celtics series made Gordon rich

InTheCrust
04-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Memphis just fucked themselves. Z-bo can just chill his fatass now. :lol

Kyle Orton
04-18-2011, 07:23 PM
I know the feeling:

Thanks for the pic brah

#41 Shoot Em Up
04-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Kyle Orton butthurt about amare again

He's a glorified cocksucker :lol
If I lived his life I would of killed myself by now.:lol

#41 Shoot Em Up
04-18-2011, 07:25 PM
lol suns
lol pistons

Kyle Orton
04-18-2011, 07:26 PM
lol ST's bottom bitch

z0sa
04-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Whichever writer came up with that "Vin diesels..." headline should be found and shot.

:lol I was thinking the same thing when I read that list.

Killakobe81
04-18-2011, 09:31 PM
He had a similar contract the past 5 years and didnt turn into Vin Baker. I actually think he grew the past two years and starts enjoying being an important part of a playoff team.

But anyway, Memphis again shows how bad their FO ist.

They blew Max at Gay as RFA (!) without even waiting what offers he would get from other teams to match this offer.

They extended Conley early in the season after a great start, 45million. Not necessary in this moment. Conley would have signed easily a 35-40million contract. The league is full with young PGs.

A good FO:
Wait for other Gay offers and match (probably around 65-70 million), extend Conley in another moment for 35-40 and extend Zach for 60/4.

They will pay Gasol probably 60/5. No way they can cheap out on him now without being again the biggest joke in the NBA

I agree with the above, great points. I do think he has matured so not a horrible move ...but for a small market team that could not afford Gasol, they throwing around a lot of paper.
GAsol will take what's left so this is their team barring trades for the forseable future.

SpursDynasty
04-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Wow...$71 million for playing one good game and winning by 3 points?

Idiots.

mavsfan1000
04-19-2011, 01:05 AM
A good FO:
Wait for other Gay offers
:lol

ElNono
04-19-2011, 01:07 AM
Great news for the Spurs.

^^^^ What she said

Let's see how quickly he's on the block when Memphis realizes they can't pay him that?

Pelicans78
04-19-2011, 01:07 AM
Did tlong seriously call Randolph a hard worker? How could someone who's always 50 pounds overweight be a hard worker?

Maybe because he has a gifted post game. Really one of the few post skilled post players in the league. Doesn't need a pick n roll or a jumpshot to do damage.

He is a bit hefty, but he's still improving as a player.

KidCongo
04-19-2011, 01:56 AM
Mayo to the Cavs if they can get Irving...Irving/Mayo is so much better than Davis/Sessions

Cessation
04-19-2011, 02:03 AM
CD2LRROpph0

You were not kidding.

pookenstein
04-19-2011, 03:25 AM
CD2LRROpph0

Wow, I was tempted after 63 seconds.:hang

LkrFan
04-19-2011, 05:38 AM
You fuckers that talk shit about how the Lakers raped Memphis in the Gasol trade. Guess who they turned Kwame Brown's $9M expiring contract into? None other than the best PF in the 2011 Spurs/Grizzlies playoff series: Z Bo. Matter of fact, they got them a really good frontline by trading Pau because his "little" brother busted y'all ass too. :lol

Money well spent by the future of the NBA's South West Division. That Pau trade doesn't look so bad now does it? Not only did the Lakers get 2 rings (and counting) out of the deal, they helped Memphis acquire enough talent to ensure TD retires with 4 rings. No wonder Pop was pissed. :lol And to think, they are busting your asses without their best player: Rudy Gay. Just wait until next year. :lol

Now :downspin: that shit if you can. :lol

Bill_Brasky
04-19-2011, 06:05 AM
You fuckers that talk shit about how the Lakers raped Memphis in the Gasol trade. Guess who they turned Kwame Brown's $9M expiring contract into? None other than the best PF in the 2011 Spurs/Grizzlies playoff series: Z Bo. Matter of fact, they got them a really good frontline by trading Pau because his "little" brother busted y'all ass too. :lol

Money well spent by the future of the NBA's South West Division. That Pau trade doesn't look so bad now does it? Not only did the Lakers get 2 rings (and counting) out of the deal, they helped Memphis acquire enough talent to ensure TD retires with 4 rings. No wonder Pop was pissed. :lol And to think, they are busting your asses without their best player: Rudy Gay. Just wait until next year. :lol

Now :downspin: that shit if you can. :lol

Lol pau
Lol hornet loss
Lol chucker kobe

Giuseppe
04-19-2011, 07:08 AM
^You've no room. You let the Grizz do you likewise. Duncan got his tired old shit bag on after halftime.

Please.

sefant77
04-19-2011, 08:34 AM
I know the feeling:

I prefer to pay now Zach 80-90 million than Gordon back then with that 60m contract.

Bill_Brasky
04-19-2011, 09:28 AM
^You've no room. You let the Grizz do you likewise. Duncan got his tired old shit bag on after halftime.

Please.

....and right after, king Paul made kobe eat his own colostomy bag for lunch.