PDA

View Full Version : Oh, darn...what will we do to survive?

AlamoSpursFan
06-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Rent bid could end MLS deal
Web Posted: 06/07/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Tom Orsborn
San Antonio Express-News

A New York financier interested in moving a Major League Soccer franchise to San Antonio said Monday he would look elsewhere if the city asks the team to pay rent for home games at the Alamodome.

Andrew Murstein has an offer to buy the Kansas City Wizards from Dallas businessman Lamar Hunt. The league considers San Antonio a prime spot for relocation because a proposed lease agreement calls for the team to receive rent-free use of the dome for home games.

"If I owned the team and the package is what was discussed originally, I would try to move the team to San Antonio," Murstein said. "But if a lot of the concessions are taken back, there is just too much interest from other cities to continue" to look at San Antonio.

Murstein suggested his stance is shared by MLS, which has promised the city a franchise if it produces a local ownership group and sells 5,000 season tickets by Aug. 17.

Mayoral candidate Julian Castro said last month he wants the team to pay rent. His opponent in today's runoff election, Phil Hardberger, has said the city should "scrap completely" its plan to join the MLS.

"I would be happy for (Murstein) to look elsewhere," Hardberger said Monday. "I don't see the interest (in MLS), and I don't see it making money for the city. I don't see it as an asset to the city at this time."

Castro didn't immediately return phone messages seeking comment.

High-ranking MLS officials could not be reached for comment, but a spokesman said the league looks forward to "continuing discussions regarding MLS in San Antonio with the new administration."

Members of City Council, including Art Hall and newcomer Roland Gutierrez, also say they want the team to pay rent, even though such a request could kill the proposed deal.

"The city has to bargain and negotiate for anything it possibly can to help the Alamodome at least break even," Gutierrez said. "That should include asking these people to pay rent."

But Murstein said the rent-free deal is typical of what other cities have offered.

"If San Antonio is the exception to the rule," Murstein said, "there would be no interest to move the team there."

Among the contenders to gain an MLS franchise should San Antonio fall by the wayside is Houston, Murstein said.

Murstein, 40, is president of Medallion Financial Corp., a public company that is one of the largest lenders to women- and minority-owned companies and reportedly has a net worth of roughly $800 million.

Murstein said he gave Hunt a revised offer for the Wizards last week after originally bidding roughly $15 million.

"We will probably hear from him by the end of the week," Murstein said.

Castro, who received a contribution of $1,000 from Murstein on April 29, was one of six council members who joined outgoing mayor Ed Garza last month in voting for a $2.9 million bond package that would finance improvements to the Alamodome. The upgrades are designed to prepare the 12-year-old building for at least 20 MLS games in 2006.

Although he is in favor of ending negotiations with the MLS, Hardberger said the city should build more youth soccer fields.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

:elephant :elephant :elephant

Smackie Chan
06-12-2005, 01:01 AM
It just wasn't our goal :lmao

ClintSquint
06-12-2005, 10:12 AM
I'm glad Hardberger kicked it to the curb!

N.Y. Johnny
06-12-2005, 11:49 AM
what a devastating setback...what will we do? :lmao

ZStomp
06-12-2005, 12:21 PM
Soccer??

ZZZZZ

:sleep

Dan Rather
06-13-2005, 04:46 AM
I'm glad Hardberger kicked it to the curb!

^ :lmao