PDA

View Full Version : Marc Stein: Manu is Playing Game 2

FoxPerez
04-18-2011, 04:42 PM
"We're almost certainly going to see Ginobili in Game 2... This elbow injury isn't his shooting hand, but it's a serious one. [The Spurs organization] isn't going to declare it, but that's definitely the expectation."

So don't believe anything that Pop or the Spurs say. Manu's playing.

Dex
04-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Because Marc Stein certainly knows more about the situation than Pop or the Spurs?

sa_butta
04-18-2011, 04:45 PM
I think most people expect him to play, but the real issue is how effective he will be with the brace...

Obstructed_View
04-18-2011, 05:01 PM
If you leave game 1 and think the biggest problem is that the Spurs didn't get enough offensive production from the guards, then it's desperation time; you HAVE to play Manu in game 2.

honestfool84
04-18-2011, 05:07 PM
Hornets (7) - 109
Lakers (2) - 100

Thunder (4) - 107
Nuggets (5) - 103

Mavericks (3) - 89
Trailblazers(6) - 81

my point is that the Grizzlies aren't your typical #8, and that the West is packed with talent.

people freaking out and saying "if we can't beat #8 without Manu, we suck..." don't really have a leg to stand on, when it's such a strong Western Conference.

TE
04-18-2011, 05:11 PM
It's desperation time. We're down 1-0. Anything to improve for the sake of winning RIGHT NOW is the most logical thing to do. Play Manu.

Old School 44
04-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Manu's playing, and so is Splitter.

alchemist
04-18-2011, 05:20 PM
if Pop doesn't play Manu in Game 2........man oh man :lol

honestfool84
04-18-2011, 05:26 PM
if Pop doesn't play Manu in Game 2........man oh man :lol

if Pop doesn't play Manu in Game 2........... i would imagine it's because Manu isn't 100%, and he's just saying he feels better because he doesn't want to seem like a pansy.

Death In June
04-18-2011, 05:29 PM
Spurs can win the next one without Manu. Give him the full 9 1/2 days of recovery time.

ALVAREZ6
04-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Spurs can win the next one without Manu. Give him the full 9 1/2 days of recovery time.

It certainly would be a gamble, but I'm not sure I'm opposed to it at all. I also believe they can come back and win the next without Manu, but if they don't, playing down 2-0 would put a lot of pressure on them and the series would likely go 7 games. I think they could win the series even if they go down 2-0, but then they would have little rest for the next grueling and physical series against what will inevitably be a young and athletic team playing good basketball, which is not optimal for the Spurs as an opponent for a 7 game series, obviously.

At the same time, another part of me says fuck the whole rest planning, look what it seems to do to our players. It sometimes leads to exactly what the team is trying to prevent in injuries, and the Spurs also can play crappy after a nice rest. So I'm pretty torn on how I feel, but for this Spurs squad to win a championship, they're probably going to need a lot of luck and I don't think taking a gamble like this would be too inappropriate for their long term championship goal. If they were to gamble and still win game 2, it would be almost heroic, inspiring, and a momentum changer, and if so this bitch would be wrapped up in 6.

:flag:

alchemist
04-18-2011, 05:58 PM
if Pop doesn't play Manu in Game 2........... i would imagine it's because Manu isn't 100%, and he's just saying he feels better because he doesn't want to seem like a pansy.
how many players are 100%? The Spurs don't have the time to mess around. These guys are not the Thunder, they don't have the luxury of saying well lets not give it a go now we have next season to try this again. It's now or never.

MB20
04-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Per Manu's brother (twitter): "#20 will be back on wednesday"

jason1301
04-18-2011, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't play Manu for game2. We played good enough to win the first one. Its not like Tony, Timmy and whoever played the A$$E$S off and we still lost.

TampaDude
04-18-2011, 08:49 PM
I wouldn't play Manu for game2. We played good enough to win the first one. Its not like Tony, Timmy and whoever played the A$$E$S off and we still lost.

While on the surface, I might agree with you...the Grizzlies couldn't miss, and the Spurs couldn't get a roll or bounce to save their lives, and yet they were in a position to win right up to the end...the Spurs CANNOT go down 0-2 with the next two games in Memphis. A win in Game 2, especially a convincing one, will flip the momentum to the Spurs and they will likely backdoor sweep the Grizz.

They need to play Manu, period. If Pop does not, he's playing to lose.

MannyIsGod
04-18-2011, 08:49 PM
There is a damn good chance Manu doesn't play. For one, Pop is a stubborn son of a bitch. He's not going to give in or panic. (Note this is another reason you're not going to see Splitter either but thats a whole (20) different thread(s)) If the injury is indeed more serious than anyone is letting on this could very well be 2000 all over again regarding how the Spurs handle it in the media.

The truth is that the Spurs winning without Manu would probably do more for their chances at a title than winning with a hobbled Manu.

DPG21920
04-18-2011, 08:51 PM
But the Spurs have to win. I for one think they can win without Manu, but it was much closer than I gave credit for.

TampaDude
04-18-2011, 08:54 PM
If the Spurs don't play Manu in Game 2, they WILL lose. Book it.

MannyIsGod
04-18-2011, 09:00 PM
But the Spurs have to win. I for one think they can win without Manu, but it was much closer than I gave credit for.

I don't know how much of the Grizzlies shooting in that game was due to their hot shooting or the Spurs bad defense. Obviously a combo of both, but if its more of the latter than we're in a much worse situation than I thought.

I think its 50/50 he plays. I do think that if they win without him, its better for the team in the long run. I also know that if it was up to me I wouldn't take that chance and I play him.

weebo
04-18-2011, 09:09 PM
fuck pop and bonner sux dix

widowmaker
04-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Watching yesterdays game for the first time right now and I could see that the spurs gave the game away starting in the first quarter.

rwb
04-18-2011, 09:12 PM
I expect Manu to play, but don't expect him to play more than 15-20 minutes MAX. Pop will have him out there as a compromise to please everyone who wants to see Manu on the floor but hopefully not long enough to reinjure the elbow.

Dex
04-18-2011, 09:14 PM
I don't know how much of the Grizzlies shooting in that game was due to their hot shooting or the Spurs bad defense. Obviously a combo of both, but if its more of the latter than we're in a much worse situation than I thought.

I think its 50/50 he plays. I do think that if they win without him, its better for the team in the long run. I also know that if it was up to me I wouldn't take that chance and I play him.

Pretty much sums up how I feel. Of course it would be better to let him rest the injured elbow, but if he CAN play, I don't think the Spurs can afford to take that risk. I'd be more for it if I was confident the Spurs would win without him, but frankly, I was pretty confident they could win Game 1 without him, and we saw how that worked out.

What I would not be confident about would be the Spurs heading to Memphis in a 0-2 hole, and still wondering about the status of Ginobili.

Spursmania
04-18-2011, 09:14 PM
If Manu is so hurt, how can he be practicing and shooting around and defending like he was in the background of RJ's video? I don't buy he's still so hurt that he cannot play this Wednesday. I think he will play Wednesday or we can kiss this series goodbye.

Grizz have confidence now and belief. A team that believes is very dangerous.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2011, 09:24 PM
There is a damn good chance Manu doesn't play. For one, Pop is a stubborn son of a bitch. He's not going to give in or panic. (Note this is another reason you're not going to see Splitter either but thats a whole (20) different thread(s)) If the injury is indeed more serious than anyone is letting on this could very well be 2000 all over again regarding how the Spurs handle it in the media.

The truth is that the Spurs winning without Manu would probably do more for their chances at a title than winning with a hobbled Manu.

Agreed. Additionally, the Spurs have a better chance to win with a Manu that definitely won't play than with a Manu that may or may not play and is a last second game time decision.

SenorSpur
04-18-2011, 10:04 PM

Somehow I don't see that happening.

Has anyone been paying attention to the comments coming from Spurs players. Over the past few days, Blair, Dice and Parker have all lamented the fact that "the team cannot succeed if Manu doesn't play".

If their morale is such that they feel depleted without him, I don't give them any shot of overtaking Memphis because they truly don't believe they can.

ducks
04-19-2011, 12:18 AM
pop has braindwashed the team last year and this year if manu can not play they can not win

pop is one stupid motherfucker

also going to manu only in the crunch all season is fucking stupid also

ElNono
04-19-2011, 12:39 AM
In injury related news, Kobe comments on his latest injury...

"I had a broken nail removed yesterday, it hurts a lot. I'm in a lot of pain. But I can handle it. Just like the broken finger, bad knee, and sore back after hitting that chair. Did you guys see that? I just got up and walked away from pain. That's just who I am. I make love to pain. Make sure to print all that. I'll give you guys another injury update after Game 2."

:lol

DJ Mbenga
04-19-2011, 12:56 AM
dont worry this means more playing time for bonner

Master splitter
04-19-2011, 01:08 AM
Manu will have 35 points/ 5 rebounds / 8 ass / and 3 steals. take that Memphis CARE BEARS!

Spurgio
04-19-2011, 01:39 AM
I was at game 1. I was about 6 rows next to the spurs bench. I had a perfect view of manu throughout the whole game. His passion for the game was intense. Down the line .... I was watching him more than the game. You could tell he was dying to be out there. I have the same seat for game 2. Hopefully I see him on the floor this time. = )

phyzik
04-19-2011, 01:40 AM
I'd say let Manu sit out the next game, or at least get really limited minutes.... I think Spurs will be alright without him as long as there are no more injuries.

*knock on wood*

Flux451
04-19-2011, 02:12 AM
We need Manu yes, Spurs also need Splitter

GhosTown
04-19-2011, 02:38 AM
Why isn't Gneal starting for Manu in the first place. And Manu should be coming off the bench. The starting back court should be TP and Neal, bench back court should be Manu and Hill. Starting front court should be TD and Dice, bench should be Splitter and Blair, and Bonner should never get in another game unless it's garbage time, being that it's the playoffs and there will be no more garbage time, if he does get in again, that would be fine too.

jason1301
04-19-2011, 02:48 AM
While on the surface, I might agree with you...the Grizzlies couldn't miss, and the Spurs couldn't get a roll or bounce to save their lives, and yet they were in a position to win right up to the end...the Spurs CANNOT go down 0-2 with the next two games in Memphis. A win in Game 2, especially a convincing one, will flip the momentum to the Spurs and they will likely backdoor sweep the Grizz.

They need to play Manu, period. If Pop does not, he's playing to lose.

I just don't think the Grizzlies can beat us again in San Antonio with or without Manu. If we can't go 1-1 vs the grizzlies in our home (even w/o Manu) I don't see us making it out of the 2nd rd.

IMHO the first loss is on Tony Parker, he is the key to winning game2 Duncan can't carry this team. He is been playing like crap for awhile now and he needs to step it up.

TE
04-19-2011, 02:54 AM
I just don't think the Grizzlies can beat us again in San Antonio with or without Manu. If we can't go 1-1 vs the grizzlies in our home (even w/o Manu) I don't see us making it out of the 2nd rd.

IMHO the first loss is on Tony Parker, he is the key to winning game2 Duncan can't carry this team. He is been playing like crap for awhile now and he needs to step it up.

The Grizzlies beat us once at home, they sure can do it again if things go well for them. If we can't go 1-1 vs the Grizzlies, I think the Spurs don't deserve to get out of the first round. Even if they pull the series out after going down 0-2, the team awaiting in the second round is a tad bit better. If they go down 0-2, the Spurs are first round fodder this year.

First loss was on Parker. The team depended more on Parker's production to suffice for Manu's absence, and he failed, miserably. The bad part about that is that Mike Conley outplayed. :lol

I think the Spurs will win game 2, and if so will win the series in 6. However, the game 1 loss is very alarming.

TE
04-19-2011, 02:56 AM
pop has braindwashed the team last year and this year if manu can not play they can not win

Ducks

Your implying that a manu absence = Spurs loss?

Now I've seen everything.

Baseline
04-19-2011, 04:37 AM
Somehow I don't see that happening.

Has anyone been paying attention to the comments coming from Spurs players. Over the past few days, Blair, Dice and Parker have all lamented the fact that "the team cannot succeed if Manu doesn't play".

If their morale is such that they feel depleted without him, I don't give them any shot of overtaking Memphis because they truly don't believe they can.

I think the players are sick and tired of Pop not playing certain players, namely Tiago. We know Manu has alluded to it a time or two this year, and so has Parker. This is very un-Spur behavior, but they know our chances are better if Tiago plays.

However, Manu freaking has to play, so I think the players are doing everything they can (even through the media) to convey that they feel Manu has to play. They know all too well that Pop's stubbornness has cost them games in the past.

I mean, Pop didn't play George Hill in the 2009 playoffs, and he clearly would have helped us.

alamo50
04-19-2011, 05:10 AM
There's no way in hell that Manu ain't playing anymore these playoffs.

Josepatches_
04-19-2011, 06:21 AM
Sure the Spurs could have won game 1 but we lost.And we can't play another game that we can win or not.We have to win.

Without Manu we aren't a lot better than Memphis so it's all in the hope to be luckier than Memphis. That's not the way if we want to win these series.

Spursmania
04-19-2011, 08:19 AM
In injury related news, Kobe comments on his latest injury...

"I had a broken nail removed yesterday, it hurts a lot. I'm in a lot of pain. But I can handle it. Just like the broken finger, bad knee, and sore back after hitting that chair. Did you guys see that? I just got up and walked away from pain. That's just who I am. I make love to pain. Make sure to print all that. I'll give you guys another injury update after Game 2."

:rollin

Budkin
04-19-2011, 08:24 AM
We need Manu or we are not going to win. There's nothing else to say.

Rick Von Braun
04-19-2011, 10:49 AM

True about the Spurs treatment of the media. They have done this multiple times in the history of the organization and they are very capable of doing it again.

As of winning without Manu... winning without {Duncan, TP, Manu} would probably do more for their chances than winning with a hobbled {Duncan, TP, Manu}. The bench and other players need to step up, the team would get confidence, and blah blah...

This is all nice and good, but reality check: the Spurs are 1-5 in the playoffs without Manu. So if I am hedging my bets, I would go all in if Manu plays and bet on Memphis if he doesn't.

This is the playoffs and it is time to ride your horses. It is now or never.

DAF86
04-19-2011, 11:13 AM

That must have been difficult for you.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-19-2011, 11:15 AM
To me this is a no-brainer and I respectfully disagree with some posters. Manu should play tomorrow.

You spend the entire year readying your team for a playoff run. You micromanage their minutes, injuries, etc. I have the feeling Manu could have played on Sunday but I really thought they could beat the Grizzlies without him. I still think they can without Manu since the Spurs couldn't get anything done or going their favor in Game 1, however, at this point you need to stop micromanaging the team and go full balls the rest of the post season - this is the time to shine or whatever you think you were doing during the year isn't worth shit.

Manu's impact in the team is many fold. It isn't just about scoring but the team is used to play with him and he can handle the ball (sorely missed in Game 1 except TP's 3rd quarter) and assist his teammates. He can also open the floor for 3pt shooting and ball rotation (ball rotation was awful in Game 1). Ball rotation,, 3pt shooting and guard penetration are 3 keys for Spurs play and that's where most of the damage is done. Against a team as big as the Grizzlies (compared to how the Spurs are in that department) you need to have your guards killing them or you'll go fishing pretty soon. Both their bigs were getting anything they wanted the entire game. Look at their stats, I think it was like 76% FG%

So to me this isn't the time anymore to look after small injuries. Shit happens and if you want to win championships you need to get over it. All teams go through stuff like this.

He must play.

Killakobe81
04-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Everyone points to the fact it is his off-elbow but that is the one he uses to absorb contact. Of course he can shoot with the injury but can he drive rebound and defend with it? Luckily the Grizz bigs though tough are NOT dirty ...but I can see Battier and Tony Allen testing the elbow.

JonNOKC
04-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Everyone points to the fact it is his off-elbow but that is the one he uses to absorb contact. Of course he can shoot with the injury but can he drive rebound and defend with it? Luckily the Grizz bigs though tough are NOT dirty ...but I can see Battier and Tony Allen testing the elbow.

This is definitely a concern - I think the question is can the injury get worse or more damage be caused if he takes hits or falls on that elbow OR is it just a pain issue?

If it is just a pain issue then we know Manu simply gets a shot and goes out and plays, if it is possible for injury to increase in severity with impact then that makes Spurs FO/POP's decision more difficult

MannyIsGod
04-19-2011, 01:31 PM
True about the Spurs treatment of the media. They have done this multiple times in the history of the organization and they are very capable of doing it again.

As of winning without Manu... winning without {Duncan, TP, Manu} would probably do more for their chances than winning with a hobbled {Duncan, TP, Manu}. The bench and other players need to step up, the team would get confidence, and blah blah...

This is all nice and good, but reality check: the Spurs are 1-5 in the playoffs without Manu. So if I am hedging my bets, I would go all in if Manu plays and bet on Memphis if he doesn't.

This is the playoffs and it is time to ride your horses. It is now or never.

Yeah, I agree to a point but there is an argument to be made that you're not playing to get out of the first round. If Manu plays and doesn't heal do they get out of the 2nd round? The Spurs, IMO, need to get to the WCF to make this a successful season. What gives you the best chance of that? Sitting Manu against a Grizz team the Spurs SHOULD be beating without him or not fully healed Manu in the 2nd round?

I'd play Manu, but I don't think its cut and dry. I think either choice is correct.

Obstructed_View
04-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I agree to a point but there is an argument to be made that you're not playing to get out of the first round. If Manu plays and doesn't heal do they get out of the 2nd round? The Spurs, IMO, need to get to the WCF to make this a successful season. What gives you the best chance of that? Sitting Manu against a Grizz team the Spurs SHOULD be beating without him or not fully healed Manu in the 2nd round?

I'd play Manu, but I don't think its cut and dry. I think either choice is correct.

I tend to agree. People say "you run your horses in the playoffs" but this isn't a horse race, it's a series of horse races over a long period of time, each getting progressively harder. If you risk Manu getting hit and having his arm swell up by playing him tomorrow, but that risk goes down tremendously with three or four extra days to rest, it's a pretty easy decision. The Spurs are playing pretty stupid right now and could easily handle the Grizzlies without Manu if they'd just settle down and do basic things.

DaBears
04-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Man only concern would be how effective he would be if he is able to play.. If he is worried about taking it to the basket, or the opposite he just settles for outside 3-point shots..

I would use the judgment to play or not to play.. If Manu is 85% or better play him if not dont..

Or you could use the mind trick and let everyone know he is suiting up "to give your team an extra boost moral" and then the opposing team might think differently and then never really play him..

Its just a bluff... But under 85%, i dont now how effective he would be..

ohmwrecker
04-19-2011, 03:44 PM
Manu should pull a Willis Reed in game 2.

nkdlunch
04-19-2011, 03:51 PM
LMAO ppl saying we should save Manu.

We lose tomorrow and there ain't gonna be another tomorrow. Series over.

Spursmania
04-19-2011, 05:37 PM
LMAO ppl saying we should save Manu.

We lose tomorrow and there ain't gonna be another tomorrow. Series over.

+1 The Grizz are very dangerous. We don't have a choice. We lose tomorrow and the Spurs are done.

Obstructed_View
04-19-2011, 06:04 PM
If you play Manu tomorrow and he gets a hit on his elbow that takes him out for the season, especially if it's a hit that he would be able to withstand with a few more days of rest, then it's not a good choice.

To beat the dead horse some more, if you drop Splitter into the rotation, you can pretty much let Manu rest as long as you want. Shoring up the play of the Grizzlies' front line would pretty much eliminate any chance they have of winning another game, let alone the series.

Spursmania
04-19-2011, 06:18 PM
If you play Manu tomorrow and he gets a hit on his elbow that takes him out for the season, especially if it's a hit that he would be able to withstand with a few more days of rest, then it's not a good choice.

To beat the dead horse some more, if you drop Splitter into the rotation, you can pretty much let Manu rest as long as you want. Shoring up the play of the Grizzlies' front line would pretty much eliminate any chance they have of winning another game, let alone the series.

I just don't see Pop playing Splitter.:(

ALVAREZ6
04-19-2011, 08:43 PM
+1 The Grizz are very dangerous. We don't have a choice. We lose tomorrow and the Spurs are done.

Yeah that isn't true.

Obstructed_View
04-19-2011, 09:47 PM
I just don't see Pop playing Splitter.:(

There's absolutely no fucking way. If Bonner and Blair got hurt today, Novak would get more minutes than Splitter tomorrow. My point was simply that you wouldn't have to rush Manu back if you actually played your best (and only) center alongside your best power forward for a change.

Spurminator
04-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Great now Pop is going to sit Manu just to spite Stein...