Bruno
04-18-2011, 05:21 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_earl_clark.jpg
Born: Jan 17, 1988
Height: 6-10 / 2.08
Weight: 225 lbs. / 102.1 kg.
College: Louisville
Years Pro: 1

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/earl_clark/career_stats.html)

Ditty
04-19-2011, 12:28 AM
guy is a low risk, high reward type of player. I think he is more intriguing then corey brewer, just hasn't been given the chance. If he is willing to sign for LLE type of money for multi-year deal. He could be a better signing then then mbah a moute.

tav1
04-22-2011, 09:29 PM
He makes all sorts of sense. Ace defender. But Green, to his credit, looks like he'll push for a roster spot next season.

k_nguyen93
05-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Varner wants this guy: http://twitter.com/#!/varner48MoH/status/73184965898145792 (http://twitter.com/#%21/varner48MoH/status/73184965898145792)

He currently makes $1.8 million according to Shamsports. Spurs could potentially be clogged up at small forward with James and DaSean returning from injury, Danny getting some burn, and RJ who if isn't traded you have to assume would start since he's making $9.2 mil...

Edit: I don't know what weight is listed on Wikipedia for DaSean but he is 3 inches shorter and weighs 5lbs more than Clark.

5in10
05-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Hey I would take this guy as our stretch 4 over bonner any day. he would also be a nice guy to thow on Lamar Odom and mobile 4s like him.

oligarchy
05-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Varner wants this guy: http://twitter.com/#!/varner48MoH/status/73184965898145792 (http://twitter.com/#%21/varner48MoH/status/73184965898145792)

He currently makes $1.8 million according to Shamsports. Spurs could potentially be clogged up at small forward with James and DaSean returning from injury, Danny getting some burn, and RJ who if isn't traded you have to assume would start since he's making $9.2 mil...

Edit: I don't know what weight is listed on Wikipedia for DaSean but he is 3 inches shorter and weighs 5lbs more than Clark.

You realize Varner just posted before you did?

SenorSpur
06-27-2011, 12:39 PM
I would love it if the Spurs were to take a flyer on this kid. As some have already stated, he's a low-risk, young player, with skills that could translate well into a contributing role for the Spurs. He would bring some defense, length and versatility to the PF position.

With the Orlando Magic roster in somewhat an upheaval, I'm hoping that them trying to hold onto Clark will be a very low priority.

Mr. Body
06-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Kind of surprised he hasn't been very good so far. But I guess guys like him and Julian Wright, etc... you never know who's gonna turn on and who never quite make it.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Kid doesn't make sense for the Spurs given their recent draft pick and keeping of Butler.

SenorSpur
06-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Kid doesn't make sense for the Spurs given their recent draft pick and keeping of Butler.

Beg to differ. Two different positions. Butler and Leonard are SFs. Clark is a PF.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-27-2011, 01:53 PM
I stand corrected - thought Clark was a SF.

Mel_13
06-27-2011, 01:57 PM
He's actually a combo forward, a tweener, a 3/4 or whatever you want to call him.

Drafting Leonard does makes it less likely that the Spurs would pursue Clark.

SenorSpur
06-27-2011, 02:03 PM
He's actually a combo forward, a tweener, a 3/4 or whatever you want to call him.

Drafting Leonard does makes it less likely that the Spurs would pursue Clark.

Well, they're going to have to pursue someone good and cheap. David West will likely be too expensive for the Spurs taste and therefore out of the question. Anderson Varejao would be an ideal target, but don't know if the Spurs could outlast the competition - especially considering his old coach, Mike Brown is trying to convince Faker management to go after him, as well. Meaning Varejao will likely carry a high price tag.

There are not very many low-cost productive options available. Clark is just as good of a PF target as any.

Mel_13
06-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Well, they're going to have to pursue someone good and cheap. David West will likely be too expensive for the Spurs taste and therefore out of the question. Anderson Varejao would be an ideal target, but don't know if the Spurs could outlast the competition - especially considering his old coach, Mike Brown is trying to convince Faker management to go after him, as well. Meaning Varejao will likely carry a high price tag.

There are not very many low-cost productive options available. Clark is just as good of a PF target as any.

Perhaps.

I'd be more encouraged if his career rebounding percentage wasn't so similar to Matt Bonner's.

Ditty
06-27-2011, 02:25 PM
If Spurs can somehow get rid of Jefferson, and Blair is included. Then Earl Clark would be a great option for around the minimum, to reshape his game, and prove he is a player in this league. Would be a combo forward we still need, and a nice small ball center.

jjktkk
06-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Perhaps.

I'd be more encouraged if his career rebounding percentage wasn't so similar to Matt Bonner's.

I wouldn't look into that stat too much, just because Clark has never really got consistant minutes. Only been in the league for 2 years, plus I beleive hes a natural 4 imo. I would take a flyer on him. From what little I've seen him play with the Magic, Clark showed some nice athleticism, and rebound ability.

Mel_13
06-27-2011, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't look into that stat too much, just because Clark has never really got consistant minutes. Only been in the league for 2 years, plus I beleive hes a natural 4 imo. I would take a flyer on him. From what little I've seen him play with the Magic, Clark showed some nice athleticism, and rebound ability.

Read the write-ups on him coming out of college and look at his stats. There's a reason PHX cut ties with a lottery pick after his rookie season.

I've got no problem taking a flyer on the kid for the right price. I only posted about whether he should be considered a 3/4 or a 4. For me, calling him a power forward is a bit of a stretch.

jjktkk
06-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Read the write-ups on him coming out of college and look at his stats. There's a reason PHX cut ties with a lottery pick after his rookie season.

I've got no problem taking a flyer on the kid for the right price. I only posted about whether he should be considered a 3/4 or a 4. For me, calling him a power forward is a bit of a stretch.

This. From the couple of times, I watched em in the playoffs, Orlando was playing him at the 4.

SenorSpur
06-27-2011, 03:48 PM

...and he's already a decent defender. Just think how much better he would be with some solid coaching - something he's probably never had in his short 2 years in the NBA. He would be just as good as getting a late lottery pick AND as a young player, he would be a solid addition to this new crop of developing players that the comprise the Spurs roster.

Whatever happens, the Spurs do not need to spend money on an expensive end-of-career or even mid-career vet. A young, emerging PF would be the way to go - and Clark qualifies.

Mel_13
06-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Whatever happens, the Spurs do not need to spend money on an expensive end-of-career or even mid-career vet.

Agreed

A young, emerging PF would be the way to go

Absolutely

and Clark qualifies.

Clark is young.

Mr. Body
06-27-2011, 04:08 PM
I could have sworn this guy was a SF. He just played PF because he couldn't shoot.

tdunk21
06-27-2011, 04:10 PM
I could have sworn this guy was a SF. He just played PF because he couldn't shoot.

earl clark is listed as a SF in some websites.....

Tyrone Jenkins
06-27-2011, 08:27 PM
I'll admit, I've never seen him play and didin't see a whole lot of video on youtube... but it sounds like the guy isn't a 3 pt threat (doesn't shoot above 38%), mid-range game is average but can play some face up and low post game. Defense is fairly decent vs. PFs and somewhat effective vs SFs (probably to slow laterally to guard elite SFs but is effective).

If this is the guy, then he's a definite guy to pursue. I'd take him over Blair anyday just due to his size (rebounding and defense are easy to teach).

SenorSpur
06-29-2011, 10:48 AM
Interesting piece on Clark, from ESPN 2009 draft watch:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=PreDraftTour-090518

Earl Clark, F, Jr., Louisville (ranked No. 11 in our Top 100)

Clark is also an enigma, but in a different way. He has all the physical tools to be a superstar. He's long, very athletic and skilled. He can shoot, rebound, block shots, handle the ball, pass and run the floor. When he puts all of that together, he can look like a potential superstar.

That's what makes Clark a bit dangerous to watch in a workout setting like this. It doesn't take long for your jaw to hit the floor. There really isn't anything on the court that Clark can't do well. He has guardlike abilities in the frame of a 6-10 player.

In a series of drills given to Clark, he did everything well.

Ballhandling? Check. Just about as good as you'll see in a player his size.

Athletic post moves? Check. He's quick, can turn on a dime and finishes way above the rim.

Midrange game? Check. He can shoot off the dribble and has a nice, soft touch on his shot.

Three-point range? It's coming. He's not a lights-out shooter from deep distance, but his form is pretty good, and the ball goes in. I don't think Clark will make his living shooting 3-pointers in the league, but if he really concentrates on that aspect of his game, who knows?

The question about Clark always has been about heart. Does he want to do what it takes to be a great NBA player? And can he maintain that effort throughout an 82-game season?

Here's one anecdote from his workout that suggests he might be able to pass the test. After a workout, Clark sought out an NBA executive who was watching the workout with me that day. Clark introduced himself, then asked the executive, "What did you think of my workout?"

The executive gave the standard "you looked good" answer. Then Clark asked his follow-up.

"No, what I want to know is, what do I need to work on? How do I improve? I'm just trying to get better."

The executive said he couldn't remember, in all his years of scouting, a prospect coming up and asking that question.

Clark may be one of the most difficult players to rate in the draft. Given the dearth of big men in this draft and his skills (I think he can play both the 3 and the 4 in the pros), only Blake Griffin has more upside as a 4. But there is also a risk. His upside may be Lamar Odom, but his downside could be a guy like Tim Thomas. His heart and effort ultimately will determine how great he can be.

As bad off as the Spurs are at the PF spot, I still believe he would be worth a shot.

tav1
06-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Even with Leonard, I think Clark is an ideal free agent target. I suspect he'll have to take a low dollar contract, perhaps as a partial guarantee.

He's a true combo forward and guarded 4 positions last season, although he'll typically guards 3 or 4. In some games—against the Thunder and Durant, for example—he looked like a defensive stopper in the making.

Leonard has far more offensive potential, but Leonard/Clark would give the Spurs an effective pair of defenders to throw at LeBron/Durant/Kobe/Dirk/etc.

SenorSpur
06-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Even with Leonard, I think Clark is an ideal free agent target. I suspect he'll have to take a low dollar contract, perhaps as a partial guarantee.

He's a true combo forward and guarded 4 positions last season, although he'll typically guards 3 or 4. In some games—against the Thunder and Durant, for example—he looked like a defensive stopper in the making.

Leonard has far more offensive potential, but Leonard/Clark would give the Spurs an effective pair of defenders to throw at LeBron/Durant/Kobe/Dirk/etc.

Amen...and that's exactly the point. The Spurs do not have anyone of his ilk that can play the 4-spot.

5in10
06-29-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm all for this guy if if his b ball IQ is higher than what I have heard of. I love what he brings to the table, and if he can just give some effort to rebounding he would be a great addition. Did anyone watch him play at Louisville? If so, can you explain what his BB IQ is like?

5in10
06-29-2011, 09:35 PM
Oh and by the way I would love the versatility this move would give our D. Splitter,Duncan,Clark, and Leonard would be a great start towards our defensive roots again. Joseph(from what I hear)Green and Anderson also have the potential to be really effective defenders as well.

SenorSpur
06-29-2011, 10:24 PM
There's no doubt that the additions of Leonard and Joseph will help up the Spurs perimeter defense. Now they absolutely MUST do the same thing for the frontline. There isn't a dearth of young, cheap, athletic, bigs on the open market. Clark is certainly one. He could very well be an underdeveloped resource. I believe the Spurs MUST give this kid a look.

ChuckD
06-30-2011, 07:02 AM
There's no doubt that the additions of Leonard and Joseph will help up the Spurs perimeter defense. Now they absolutely MUST do the same thing for the frontline. There isn't a dearth of young, cheap, athletic, bigs on the open market. Clark is certainly one. He could very well be an underdeveloped resource. I believe the Spurs MUST give this kid a look.

Unfortunately, since he was on a roster at the end of the season, they will have to wait until after the lockout to do so, if they wish. Technically, anyone on a roster at the end of the year is not a FA until tomorrow, and that's when the lockout starts.

SenorSpur
06-30-2011, 07:25 AM
Unfortunately, since he was on a roster at the end of the season, they will have to wait until after the lockout to do so, if they wish. Technically, anyone on a roster at the end of the year is not a FA until tomorrow, and that's when the lockout starts.

That figures.

Zocalo
07-03-2011, 11:48 AM
It would be nice if he had the tools of a Robert Horry, but he isn't that type of player.

wildbill2u
07-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Unfortunately, Pop will always seem to look for a vet at the end of his career to fill the roster spot of the reserve big man deep in the rotation.

jjktkk
07-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Unfortunately, Pop will always seem to look for a vet at the end of his career to fill the roster spot of the reserve big man deep in the rotation.

Thats because of the lack of available $$$$$ to sign a young, proven big, capable of starting.

ace3g
08-09-2011, 06:49 PM
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Y! Sources: Orlando Magic free agent Earl Clark has reached agreement on a one-year deal to play in China. tinyurl.com/3jk8kcr

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_earl_clark_china_080911

Apparently no NBA out clause