PDA

View Full Version : LA losing to Hornets bigger upset than Mavs/Warriors

cheguevara
04-19-2011, 08:42 AM
That is right. The 2 time defending champs losing in the 1st round to the lowly Hornets whose best player is out would be the biggest upset in sports history. Let's not forget the HOrnets should be a legit 8th seed if not for the Lakers farm team (that is another story) That is right. The mavs franchise might actually come away with something these playoffs, which is getting their names taken out of biggest choker in history books.

Don't get me wrong. I have Lakers in 6. But there is a strong possibility the Lakers will continue their shit job and move on to the anals(pun intended) of history as the biggest losers in history.

:lol Kobe's broken nail

:lol Jackson's last season as coach

cheguevara
04-19-2011, 08:50 AM
question, would lakerfan still be calling this team a dynasty* if they lose in the 1st round?

* - in real life they were never a dynasty regardless, just a delusional lakerfan meme here

Pelicans78
04-19-2011, 08:53 AM
This would be a bigger upset in my opinion. I agree.

Darth_Pelican
04-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Definitely would be a bigger upset. The Hornets were 0-4 in the regular season against the Lakers, and no one thought they could match up at all or win even 1 game in the series.

Didn't the Warriors have success against the Mavs going into that series?

ChrisRichards
04-19-2011, 08:59 AM
Agree, Lakers are the two time defending champ and the Hornets don't even have their AS Forward lol. But I think the Lakers will finish the Hornets in 6 games. I think the Lakers 3 Peat aspiration will end by May though. They are not getting past OKC that's a guarantee.

cheguevara
04-19-2011, 09:02 AM

most definitely Warriors had huge matchup advantage vs. Mavs. although the mavs 67 wins is what put them head and shoulders above everyone in the choking record books.

Let's not dismiss the fact there might be another huge upset in the making in the Spurs vs. Grizz series. But the Grizz also have huge matchup advantage, and Spurs have their best player injured. this series would be a distant 3rd maybe.

Lakers losing would be unexcusable and would be uncharted waters in the choking/all around loser realm. I would not be surprised if Lakers were to lose(15% chance of this today) Mitch would blow up the entire team.

in2deep
04-19-2011, 09:11 AM
:lol Che throwing a bucket of cold water on lakerfans

Axe Murderer
04-19-2011, 09:36 AM

The Warriors were the only team the 67 win Mavs didn't beat atleast once in the regular season. 0-3 with 2 of them 30 point blowouts. I think GS finished the year on an 18-3 run too with a ton of blowouts

Just from a matchup standpoint, that was the worst one possible for Dallas. It's different this season because everyone was considering NO to be a bye for whoever they played

Muser
04-19-2011, 09:39 AM
The Lakers have only lost one game..

Neo.
04-19-2011, 09:47 AM
That is right. The 2 time defending champs losing in the 1st round to the lowly Hornets whose best player is out would be the biggest upset in sports history. Let's not forget the HOrnets should be a legit 8th seed if not for the Lakers farm team (that is another story) That is right. The mavs franchise might actually come away with something these playoffs, which is getting their names taken out of biggest choker in history books.

Don't get me wrong. I have Lakers in 6. But there is a strong possibility the Lakers will continue their shit job and move on to the anals(pun intended) of history as the biggest losers in history.

i think you just need to worry more about the spurs potentially being the next team to lose in the first round to an 8th seed.

alchemist
04-19-2011, 09:57 AM
bigger upset? of course. but it won't happen.

shorttotry
04-19-2011, 10:05 AM
I will sleep with a smile the day this happens... but I won't hold my breath.

Giuseppe
04-19-2011, 10:40 AM
:lol Che throwing a bucket of cold water on lakerfans

After the last 2 by Kobe, he has no other choice.

tee, hee.

Giuseppe
04-19-2011, 10:41 AM
I will sleep with a smile the day this happens

Only if you win the last game this June. Otherwise, you're standing in last place with us.

SomeCallMeTim
04-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Nah. Grizzlies upsetting the Spurs would be a much bigger upset. 8 > 1 seed is always a huge deal. Spurs were among the greatest regular season teams in NBA history this year, finishing with best record nearly wire-to-wire. A team stacked with two sure-fire HOFers, All-Star PG and C, and a fine assortment of role players, most of them without criminal histories.

The fine San Antonio team won titles in 99, 03, 04, 06, 07, and 08... the sad Memphis franchise had won nary a single playoff game before this season. The Grizz are without their max contract Gay forward and their starting center is obviously terrible and completely unable to play in the NBA given that he was but fodder for the collusion deal that sent Pau Gasol to the Lakers.

Yeah, Grizzlies over Spurs would be an epic upset like the league has never seen. But in the end, I don't see it, as crass never triumphs over class.

Rummpd
04-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Will not happen in all probability but C.P. will damm sure leave it all on the court and with Monte Williams coaching that team it could go 7 games now.

Giuseppe
04-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Will not happen in all probability but C.P. will damm sure leave it all on the court and with Monte Williams coaching that team it could go 7 games now.

82 games in and C.P. is finally ready to "damm sure leave it all on the court."

Figures, we'd have to be standing there.:rolleyes

JamStone
04-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Agreed it would be a bigger upset.

Probably a thread more pertinent when it's on the verge of happening, not after 1 game.

Giuseppe
04-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Team: Detroit Pistons

:lmao

The Gemini Method
04-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Guess I have no reason to watch the remainder of the series because it has been deemed by the psychic prognosticators say so. Oh well, we'll get 'em next time.

It would be a huge upset, but I don't think it would be the biggest upset in the history of sports. It sure would be horrible since it would be in a 7-game series. So, in essence, you can make the argument that its the biggest upset, but for my money the Sonics-Nuggets series was more of an upset. Even the comeback for the Red Sox, to me, was a bigger deal than this would be. If Gasol can't find his game against the Hornets...then you can surely put this one up there.

But it's not going to happen...I still think the Lakers take this in 6.

u4lakers14
04-19-2011, 11:05 AM
it would certainly be an epic upset.

i think it would be a far greater upset should the grizzlies upset the spurs though.

hasnt that only happened once before in history?

i remember the hell everyone gave mavfan when that happened, lol.

(for the record, i dont think the lakers or the spurs will lose in the first round.)

21_Blessings
04-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Nah. Grizzlies upsetting the Spurs would be a much bigger upset. 8 > 1 seed is always a huge deal. Spurs were among the greatest regular season teams in NBA history this year, finishing with best record nearly wire-to-wire. A team stacked with two sure-fire HOFers, All-Star PG and C, and a fine assortment of role players, most of them without criminal histories.

The fine San Antonio team won titles in 99, 03, 04, 06, 07, and 08... the sad Memphis franchise had won nary a single playoff game before this season. The Grizz are without their max contract Gay forward and their starting center is obviously terrible and completely unable to play in the NBA given that he was but fodder for the collusion deal that sent Pau Gasol to the Lakers.

Yeah, Grizzlies over Spurs would be an epic upset like the league has never seen. But in the end, I don't see it, as crass never triumphs over class.

While the Grizz winning the series is infinitely more likely than the Hornets even winning two games against the Lakers; 2007 Mavs >>>>>>>>>> 2011 Spurs. And it's not even close. At least that 07 Dallas team played respectable D.

The Grizz tanked for the Spurs because they knew WINNING was highly probable.

Axe Murderer
04-19-2011, 11:13 AM
At least that 07 Dallas team played respectable D.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Blessings gets dumber and dumber by the day

Giuseppe
04-19-2011, 11:13 AM
The Grizz tanked for the Spurs because they knew WINNING was highly probable.

Ouch!

JamStone
04-19-2011, 11:17 AM
That 2007 Dallas team was really good.

I think in both the 2007 Dallas and 2011 Spurs cases, they were/are playing teams that simply match up well against them. Grizz over Spurs would be a big upset but because of Memphis' frontcourt, I guess you can understand why it might happen.

I still think the Spurs will find a way to win their series, just like the Lakers will theirs.

z0sa
04-19-2011, 11:28 AM
Those whom (basketball) gods destroy, they first anger.

Booharv
04-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Of course it is. One is a #1 seed while the other is two-time defending champion. The 1984 Sixers are the only defending champion to bring back their roster and lose in the first round in the past 30 years.

Giuseppe
04-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Those whom (basketball) gods destroy, they first anger.

If so, we squeezed:::

Kobe: 5

Duncan: 4

in afore.

Kyle Orton
04-19-2011, 11:49 AM
It would be a much bigger upset, but it's not happening. It wouldn't surprise me to see LA wrap the series up in 5.

Killakobe81
04-19-2011, 11:50 AM

Losing game 1 as a 60 win team, leaves no room to talk ...

LOL Battier

LOL thinking Bonner won shit ...

LOL RJ ...

LOL getting hurt last game of the season ...

I kid. see you in the WCF if you lucky ...

hater
04-19-2011, 12:14 PM

lakerfan must not have heard of Manu Ginobili

hater
04-19-2011, 12:17 PM
LOL at all these idiots who ignore the fact that the Spurs are playing without their best player and MVP

Isitjustme?
04-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Rudy Gay is Memphis best player.

21_Blessings
04-19-2011, 12:21 PM

After Gasol.

Cry Havoc
04-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Losing game 1 as a 60 win team, leaves no room to talk ...

LOL Battier

LOL thinking Bonner won shit ...

LOL RJ ...

LOL getting hurt last game of the season ...

I kid. see you in the WCF if you lucky ...

If the Lakers played and lost to the Hornets without Kobe or Gasol, it would still be an upset, but an understandable one. You guys had a full strength squad against a depleted 7th seed without their 2nd best player, and you got thoroughly handled.

I expect your team to pull the series in 6, but it's still a pretty shocking loss, much more so than the Spurs who were without Manu for G1 and still very nearly won it late.

z0sa
04-19-2011, 12:22 PM
If the Lakers played and lost to the Hornets without Kobe or Gasol, it would still be an upset, but an understandable one. You guys had a full strength squad against a depleted 7th seed without their 2nd best player, and you got thoroughly handled.

I expect your team to pull the series in 6, but it's still a pretty shocking loss, much more so than the Spurs who were without Manu for G1.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177265

Have you seen this thread? Lol

Pelicans78
04-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Randolph is Memphis best player. Gay is no where even close. Gasol is next after Randolph. Actually, its very close with Gasol and Randolph. 1A, 1B type of situation.

Isitjustme?
04-19-2011, 12:23 PM
After Gasol.

The same Gasol who averaged 11/7 this year?

ohmwrecker
04-19-2011, 12:24 PM

Zach Randolph says hello.

21_Blessings
04-19-2011, 12:25 PM
The same Gasol who averaged 11/7 this year?

The same Gasol that shit all over Tim Duncan in game 1.

Cry Havoc
04-19-2011, 12:27 PM
The same Gasol that shit all over Tim Duncan in game 1.

I'll take that over what Paul is going to do to Fisher/Blake in Games 2 through however-many-are-left.

ohmwrecker
04-19-2011, 12:27 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177265

Have you seen this thread? Lol

I would say that 21 Blessings is retarded, but that would be an insult to retarded people.

Zelophehad
04-19-2011, 12:28 PM
I'd take Gay over Randolph. He really improved his defense this year. He is a great 3 point shooter and rebounder as well. I think they'd win that series somewhat easily if he was still healthy.

Booharv
04-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Randolph is way better than Gay. Not even close imo.

Greg Oden
04-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Those saying Randolph is Memphis' best player, how many Grizzly games have you watched this year?

hornetfan, you're better than that. Gasol is Memphis' 2nd best player? :rollin

Giuseppe
04-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Spur Fan, runnin' as fast as he can.

tee, hee.

Greg Oden
04-19-2011, 12:40 PM
I'd take Gay over Randolph. He really improved his defense this year. He is a great 3 point shooter and rebounder as well. I think they'd win that series somewhat easily if he was still healthy.

cosigned. It's crazy how many spurfans are crying about Manu being out in game 1 whilst Memphis is going thru the whole time without Gay.

Giuseppe
04-19-2011, 12:41 PM
cosigned. It's crazy how many spurfans are crying about Manu being out in game 1 whilst Memphis is going thru the whole time without Gay.

Then somebody threw a turd into the pool.

You don't have to go home, but, you got to get the Hell outta here.

hater
04-19-2011, 12:42 PM

when the fuck has Gay done anything in the playoffss?

Greg Oden
04-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Then somebody threw a turd into the pool.

You don't have to go home, but, you got to get the Hell outta here.

that just ain't right.

Pelicans78
04-19-2011, 12:43 PM
when the fuck as Gay done anything in the playoffss?

When the fuck has Gay done anything in this league?

Greg Oden
when the fuck has Gay done anything in the playoffss?

actually it was Battier that sent the Spurs to the ToW.

Giuseppe
that just ain't right.

It's a line from the "The Prince of Bel Air."

tee, hee.

Greg Oden
04-19-2011, 12:44 PM
When the fuck has Gay done anything in this league?

but Pau's fat little brother has, 11 ppg ecstasy and all.

Pelicans78
04-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Those saying Randolph is Memphis' best player, how many Grizzly games have you watched this year?

hornetfan, you're better than that. Gasol is Memphis' 2nd best player? :rollin

You're right. Its Tony Allen.

Gay is a fine player, but Randolph is the best player. Gay should have never got that contract. He didn't earn it. Gasol is more important because of his inside presence.

Greg Oden
04-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Gay shouldn't have, but Randolph should have right?

Greg Oden
It's a line from the "The Prince of Bel Air."

tee, hee.

how black of you.

Pelicans78
but Pau's fat little brother has, 11 ppg ecstasy and all.

Numbers aren't imporant. He provides an inside presence. The only presence Gay provides is an opening to the lane wider than his vulva.

Muser
lol Gasol > Gay

Pelicans78
04-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Gay shouldn't have, but Randolph should have right?

I agree. He was overpaid. He deserves 4 years with a max of 48 million. Gay probably deserved 5 years 50 million at max.

Zelophehad
04-19-2011, 12:47 PM
FAIL. Gay's defense was significantly improved this year.

Pelicans78
Gay is overrated. Not an elite player, not even a great player. Just a very good player at best. Couldn't lead his team to the playoffs. Not a guy I want as my best player.

Pelicans78
FAIL. Gay's defense was significantly improved this year.

Improved is a relative term.

Greg Oden
04-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Numbers aren't imporant.

oh

The only presence Gay provides is an opening to the lane wider than his vulva.

hold on, you're trying to make claims about Gay not playing defense whilst simultaneously stating Randolph is better than Gay? Oh boy!

Greg Oden
04-19-2011, 12:49 PM

"improved" and "defense" have never been terms associated with Zach Randolph.

Zelophehad

No he was above average by any way you look at it. Advanced metrics, reporters observations, and/or by watching the actual games.

Ghazi
get on AIM dawg!

Muser
04-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Rudy Gay was a 20ppg scorer on .471 FG% and .396 3P%, that's a great player imo.

Giuseppe
04-19-2011, 12:51 PM
get on AIM dawg!

One V, and G forgets about my ma.

tee, hee.

The 4cc Dictionary
04-19-2011, 12:51 PM
oh boy! chode bloaded i saaaaiiiiiiddddddd

i dont know what it is but flip flopping on favorite teams and flip flopping on certain debates such as the viability of a pg leading a team to a championship, dumps smegma all over Hornets78 and his ability to post a basketball related opinion

i said

Muser
04-19-2011, 12:53 PM
rofl yeah it's funny how fast hornets78 jumped off the mavs bandwagon, shtick or not.

The 4cc Dictionary
04-19-2011, 01:04 PM
rofl yeah it's funny how fast hornets78 jumped off the mavs bandwagon, shtick or not.

i dont know what it is but that Hornets78 guy is one dorky corso

almost as dorky as 4 guys who met on the internet who use silly catchphrases that nobody has ever heard of and scoff anything mainstream for the sake of scoffing

but not quite i saiiiddd

Pelicans78
04-19-2011, 01:06 PM

Who said I ever jumped off?

Greg Oden
04-19-2011, 01:06 PM
I endorse The 4cc Dictionary

Pelicans78
04-19-2011, 01:08 PM
get on AIM dawg!

Can't man. Gotta go back to work. Talk to you later. During the game for sure.

WEEE STAAACCCCKEEDDD!!!!!!

Fpoonsie
04-19-2011, 01:26 PM
[shrug]

Ashy mentioned it a few days ago, but the Spurs lost Manu the last game of the season and had to adjust on the fly. The Grizz have been playing w/o Gay for half the season and have learned how to play (and play well) w/o him, and picked up Battier late in the season to fill SOME of the void left behind by Gay's absence.

In the end, though, the Spurs should STILL be able to beat MEM sans excuses.

nkdlunch
04-19-2011, 03:51 PM
the probability of the mavs getting dethroned is .130111%

InTheCrust
04-19-2011, 04:08 PM
{Rudy Gay =/= Manu Ginobili| :lobt: http://www.scenta.co.uk/tcaep/images/belongst.gif SA}
little algebra lesson for yall....

InTheCrust
04-19-2011, 04:10 PM
the probability of the mavs getting dethroned is 0%
fify

can't dethrone someone who was never a king :lol

Greg Oden
04-19-2011, 04:11 PM
InTheCrust

Budkin
04-19-2011, 05:55 PM
No way in hell that happens.

TDfan2007
04-19-2011, 06:21 PM
tbh I'd be shocked in the Hornets won a single game the rest of the series, and pleasantly surprised if they make at least one competitive.

TDfan2007
04-19-2011, 06:23 PM
fify

can't dethrone someone who was never a king :lol

:lol

Cry Havoc
04-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Kobe's "Should I pass?" flowchart:

http://sportsshow.comedycentral.com/files/2011/04/Diagram_tmp-3-e1303245499129.jpg

:lol

Giuseppe
04-19-2011, 07:43 PM

InTheCrust
04-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Kobe's "Should I pass?" flowchart:

http://sportsshow.comedycentral.com/files/2011/04/Diagram_tmp-3-e1303245499129.jpg

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Giuseppe
04-19-2011, 08:22 PM

ezau
04-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Not if the Spurs can help it. The way it's going, the Grizzlies are gonna tap that Spurs ass in five.

POP 0-5

Giuseppe
04-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Bend over. I'll tap that f'in' ass.

DMC
04-19-2011, 11:40 PM
Not the biggest upset in sports history. The Lakers haven't been tearing it up lately. They are solid, but have a lot of lapses for this time of the year. I wouldn't say it's an upset to be beaten by a team who's been in the playoffs and past the 1st round before. Look at how the Hornets started their season and compare that to the GSW.

A 67 win team that gets beat by the 8th seed in the 1st round (of course) is a big upset, but even that isn't the biggest upset in sports history.

Buster Douglas was a bit bigger. I would rank that up there in the top 5.

I don't even think the Mavs loss was in the top 10. Had they won the ring the previous year, that would be different.

DMC
04-19-2011, 11:44 PM
LOL @ the "he deserves X million" comments. Who fucking deserves millions for playing basketball? None of them.

The very best of them should be making 100K a year. The rest should feel lucky they get to play.

hater
04-20-2011, 09:35 AM
will history be written today?

will #1 and #2 seeds fall to 0-2?

Giuseppe
04-20-2011, 09:50 AM
If so #1 would be half way to The Skunker II.

cheguevara
04-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Breaking News: the Doomsday clock has been upgraded. Now the probability of The (lakers) Extinction is at 25% now.

Once again, this is probably not gona happen but if this happens it is the biggest upset in the history of human to human competition. The chances of breaking the Mavs epic meltdown record have never been higher. :smokin

in2deep
04-25-2011, 02:47 PM
tbh I'd be shocked in the Hornets won a single game the rest of the series, and pleasantly surprised if they make at least one competitive.

are you shocked yet?

u4lakers14
04-25-2011, 04:18 PM
yes, the 2 losing to the 7 would be a greater upset that the 1 losing to the 8.
(arithma-spik)

Venti Quattro
04-30-2011, 11:54 AM
:lmao

cobbler
04-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Breaking News: the Doomsday clock has been upgraded. Now the probability of The (Spurs) Extinction is at 100% now.

Once again, this is probably not gona happen but that it happened and it is the biggest upset in the history of human to human competition. The chances of breaking the Mavs epic meltdown record have never been higher. :smokin

Update: Once again I was talking out my ass all year and now realize that losing to the 8th seed is simply a Texas thang.

Muser
04-30-2011, 01:36 PM
Fucking sucks to have these dumbasses support the Spurs.

Disturbed
04-30-2011, 01:41 PM
That is right. The 2 time defending champs losing in the 1st round to the lowly Hornets whose best player is out would be the biggest upset in sports history.

http://media.commercialappeal.com/media/img/photos/2011/03/22/23griz2_t607.jpeg