View Full Version : Spurs All Time Defensive Team

cantthinkofanything
04-19-2011, 10:35 AM
PG: Alvin Robertson
SG: Bruce Bowen
SF: Dennis Rodman
PF: Tim Duncan
C: David Robertson

Can any other team claim a better 5 than that?

honestfool84
04-19-2011, 10:37 AM
The more you know, the more you realize just how little you know. The less you know, the more you think you know.

Dex
04-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Put Jim Duncan next to David Robertson, and you've got a winner.

cherylsteele
04-19-2011, 11:16 AM
SF: Dennis Rodman
C: David Robertson

Can any other team claim a better 5 than that?Please put them in their right positions
Bowen was a SF not SG
Rodman was PF not SF
Alvin was SG not PG

Johnny Moore PG
Alvin Robertson SG
Bruce Bowen SF
DRob C
Timmy PF

Bench
A-Train
Sean Elliott
Malik (for his play against Shaq mainly)
Manu

Neo.
04-19-2011, 11:40 AM
im shocked people arent saying Parker and Ginobili. they can do no wrong, and can simply outclass their opponent, which causes the opponent to morph into a mound of jello and turn it over. 100% of the time.

z0sa
04-19-2011, 11:41 AM

Haha. Beat me to that shit.

LOL DRobert.

Killakobe81
04-19-2011, 11:55 AM
has to be:

PG Alvin Robertson
SG Manu
SF Bowen
PF Tim
C Robinson ...

And that is a beastly starting 5 ....

Killakobe81
04-19-2011, 11:59 AM
I know Manu is debatable ...but if you need a big steal/rebound or a key flop Manu is as clutch as they come.

Plus my team is pretty damn good on offense too. Manu didnt play with a prime David heck Tim didnt either. all 5 in their prime are locking folks down and scoring ...enough to beat most teams REGULAR all-time 5's EXCEPT maybe : Lakers, Bulls and Celts and MAYBE sixers and Pistons off the top of my head that 5 is pretty damn good.

Bill_Brasky
04-19-2011, 12:04 PM
I know Manu is debatable ...but if you need a big steal/rebound or a key flop Manu is as clutch as they come.

Plus my team is pretty damn good on offense too. Manu didnt play with a prime David heck Tim didnt either. all 5 in their prime are locking folks down and scoring ...enough to beat most teams REGULAR all-time 5's EXCEPT maybe : Lakers, Bulls and Celts and MAYBE sixers and Pistons off the top of my head that 5 is pretty damn good.

the thought of prime Tim and prime David both playing next to each other is just absolutely insane.

Jimcs50
04-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Alvin Robertson under Pop's tutelage and schemes would have been a candidate for DPOY and a first team all defense every year.

Sisk
04-19-2011, 12:43 PM

:lmao

Thomas82
04-19-2011, 12:52 PM
C - David Robinson
PF- Tim Duncan
SF- Bruce Bowen
SG- Manu Ginobili
PG- Alvin Robertson

I couldn't come up with a reserve backcourt, but my reserve frontcourt would be:

C - Artis Gilmore
PF- Dennis Rodman
SF- Sean Elliott

cantthinkofanything
04-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Please put them in their right positions
Bowen was a SF not SG
Rodman was PF not SF
Alvin was SG not PG

Johnny Moore PG
Alvin Robertson SG
Bruce Bowen SF
DRob C
Timmy PF

Bench
A-Train
Sean Elliott
Malik (for his play against Shaq mainly)
Manu

I was thiking more in terms of who they would cover. Bowen would usually cover the opponents SG.
I think Alvin Robertson played point.
With Timmy and DRob, to get Rodman on the team, he goes to SF.

cantthinkofanything
04-19-2011, 01:14 PM

That's a heck of a team both ways. If you've got Timmy and DRob in the paint, I think you can afford to have Manu at SG and take some risks.

jag
04-19-2011, 01:15 PM
:lol David Robertson

cherylsteele
04-19-2011, 01:21 PM
I was thiking more in terms of who they would cover. Bowen would usually cover the opponents SG.
I think Alvin Robertson played point.
With Timmy and DRob, to get Rodman on the team, he goes to SF.
Alvin was not a PG; he either played with Moore, or Johnny Dawkins, those 2 were the PG with him.
You don't move someone to the wrong position to squeeze a 2 yr player in. You don't need him in my starting lineup.

Thomas82
04-19-2011, 01:40 PM
What about a Triple Tower lineup with Artis Gilmore at C, Tim Duncan at PF, and David Robinson at SF? I think that would be interesting.

Obstructed_View
04-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Rodman as a Spur was no longer a great defender. He was a self-promoter at that point.

cantthinkofanything
04-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Alvin was not a PG;

Yes he was. Please see below:

C: David Robinson
SF: Avery Johnson

Killakobe81
04-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Rodman as a Spur was no longer a great defender. He was a self-promoter at that point.

This. great rebounder though. Same with Bulls not agreat defender anymore a good but overrated one though.

arodz
04-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Ah yes, we can remember the days when the Spurs actually played defense. Who knows, maybe someday we will again.

TDMVPDPOY
04-19-2011, 03:54 PM
fkn haters no love for rasho

Obstructed_View
04-19-2011, 05:44 PM
fkn haters no love for rasho

Is he your three? He's a better defender than Elliott, and the Spurs ran a triple towers lineup at one time.

pgardn
04-19-2011, 06:12 PM
The Dennis Rodman that played on the Spurs was awful defensively compared to what he did on other teams. One of the biggest shams was giving him an auto bid to the all-defensive team. Spurs fans loved his hustle on rebounds, but he did everything he was not asked to do.

He was an unwilling defender both years. All he did was hang out under the basket and get his rebound numbers, he would rarely go out on his man, he would just let him shoot and hoped he missed so he could get his numbers for the rebounding title. He would play defense if he thought the player he was going against was considered a guy who could burn him, then he might play a few moments of D like the old Dennis. He was all about numbers with us. He is off imo.

And again, someone has posted the same. Sorry.

ChuckD
04-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Fucking "Position Police".

G Alvin
G Bruce
F Elliott
F Duncan
C Robinson