PDA

View Full Version : How easy is to neutralize Tony Parker?

ElNono
04-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Too easy looks like...

Proxy
04-20-2011, 10:20 PM
He's been terrible both games.... especially at the end.

jag
04-20-2011, 10:21 PM
I do not approve of this ElNono thread. It reeks of Church of Manu.

But i agree. Tony is pissing me off

Mugen
04-20-2011, 10:23 PM
When his J isn't falling and our 3s are missing....Very Easy.

pjjrfan
04-20-2011, 10:23 PM
tony just needs to establish his teammates first, then everything else will come to him. He forces thngs because he figures he has to take the shot. But the main thing is that Tony just never seems to adjust to what they do to him.

mVp
04-20-2011, 10:24 PM
He's playing like shit, totally unexcusable, he better wake the fuck up.

04-20-2011, 10:24 PM
tony can play much better. he was pretty good in the first half, just needs to keep it up.

Spurologist
04-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Another thread along the lines of trade tp :td.....he hasn't played in the clutch but all can be forgiven pending game 3

DAF86
04-20-2011, 10:26 PM
He has proven himself many times in bigger stages than this to say something like that, he's just going through a rough stretch.

Spurs Brazil
04-20-2011, 10:27 PM
He has proven himself many times in bigger stages than this to say something like that, he's just going through a rough stretch.

:tu

Spurs7794
04-20-2011, 10:30 PM

Exactly, the guy closed out the Suns and Hornets with huge jumpers in the last minute in 2008, did the same repeatedly to the Mavs last season, and CARRIED our offense in 2009. His bad performances in the first two games makes me more positive for game 3 because so far, we've seen D+ Tony Parker.

ElNono
04-20-2011, 10:31 PM
No hate on Tony, btw... or CoM BS either... I'm just bringing this up because one game can be luck, but two games is a trend...

ALVAREZ6
04-20-2011, 10:35 PM
No hate on Tony, btw... or CoM BS either... I'm just bringing this up because one game can be luck, but two games is a trend...

2 games is not a trend

SpurOutofTownFan
04-20-2011, 10:36 PM
Tony is the key to these series - and I will stand by this.

Without Manu the Spurs can't win but the same is true for TP and Duncan. The team is all built around those 3 guys.

If Tony can play at the level we know he can this series shouldn't be going over 5 games. More than Manu, TP is the key - he's been playing below horrible level and that gives me hopes he can bounce around. When he's playing at his level, few people can stay in front of him and, most importantly, he can definitely push their bigs to automatic fouling him on penetration. If you want to neutralize their bigs with this particular match-up they are presenting to the Spurs you need to ask your guards to drive them through straight to the paint and make them foul you. The Spurs have 4 players who can do that easily. Not many team can do that.

Also, I think Pop should definitely review the Splitter situation - being a rookie in the US he's been playing high level basketball with multiple accomplishments overseas. The Grizzlies guys are too big for the Spurs regular "bigs" and I think Splitter has the size to mess with them for a while

Proxy
04-20-2011, 10:37 PM
Exactly, the guy closed out the Suns and Hornets with huge jumpers in the last minute in 2008, did the same repeatedly to the Mavs last season, and CARRIED our offense in 2009. His bad performances in the first two games makes me more positive for game 3 because so far, we've seen D+ Tony Parker.

Doesn't matter at this point in the season....he the reason we lost the first game, and he gave Memphis a chance by missing at the end of this game. We need him to be himself if we're going to take both games in Memphis.

will_spurs
04-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Well his decisions at the end are questionable, although this specific jumper usually falls for him (you might have noticed he scored it once in the first half, actually). His shooting isn't too great (6-14 this time, not horrible but we would expect 7-14 or 8-14 on a usual night).

12 points, 7 assists, 4 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block, and only 2 turnovers + decent play on the defensive end. It doesn't look all that shitty to me (especially since he, like the rest of the Spurs team, didn't get any love from the refs tonight).

People will remember the 2 possessions when Pop obviously told him to burn the clock down - and will forget the 2 clutch passes he made just before to create the lead.

MI21
04-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Yeah, he has been disgusting.

I full expect a vintage Tony performance in Game 3. 25+ on good shooting.

HarlemHeat37
04-20-2011, 10:39 PM
He's getting a lot of good looks IMO, he just can't make his jump shot..

IMO, Memphis will start making less jump shots, and TP will start making them..well, at least I hope so, the law of averages better come through..

jag
04-20-2011, 10:41 PM

Exactly. Said the same thing in the game thread. Just gotta write it off as a small slump. He'll bounce back

Spurs Brazil
04-20-2011, 10:41 PM
I hope this is just 2003 against the Suns. Tony was very bad in the 1st two games and had a monster game 3

tim210g
04-20-2011, 10:50 PM
well it seems memphiss bigs are too much... and they are affecting how he penetrates also it seems like he doesnt have that quickness that has him flying threw the paint..hopefully he bounces back in game 3.. Go tony!

Whisky Dog
04-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Zach "butterball" Randolph and fucking scrub ass Marc Gasol are too much for Parker to own the paint now? If that's the case just fucking shoot me as it's all over.

D-rob fan
04-20-2011, 11:15 PM
It does seem that he has been afraid to drive into the lane due to Gasol and Randolf.

siraulo23
04-20-2011, 11:16 PM
he definitely hasnt been himself the first two games

maybe he's ailing for whatever reason, i remember pop saying something about tp just before the end of the regular season

senorglory
04-20-2011, 11:29 PM
I don't think he's playing bad at all, I think he's just missing shots, which stinks; but he's getting to the hoop, he's moving the ball, he's getting open looks at the end of games, he's not getting blown by on defense... he looks pretty good, aside from missing just about everything. They'll start falling again and he'll single handedly win some games for us.

pjjrfan
04-20-2011, 11:36 PM
Tony is the key to these series - and I will stand by this.

Without Manu the Spurs can't win but the same is true for TP and Duncan. The team is all built around those 3 guys.

If Tony can play at the level we know he can this series shouldn't be going over 5 games. More than Manu, TP is the key - he's been playing below horrible level and that gives me hopes he can bounce around. When he's playing at his level, few people can stay in front of him and, most importantly, he can definitely push their bigs to automatic fouling him on penetration. If you want to neutralize their bigs with this particular match-up they are presenting to the Spurs you need to ask your guards to drive them through straight to the paint and make them foul you. The Spurs have 4 players who can do that easily. Not many team can do that.

Also, I think Pop should definitely review the Splitter situation - being a rookie in the US he's been playing high level basketball with multiple accomplishments overseas. The Grizzlies guys are too big for the Spurs regular "bigs" and I think Splitter has the size to mess with them for a while

Tony is key. And right now he is struggling to find his game, his, shot, but he can do a lot of other things at this point Tony is pressing to find his game. No one on this team is really playing championship level basketball. But withou Tony's A game we are going to lose.

GSH
04-20-2011, 11:38 PM
The biggest problem is that he has missed a bunch of shots at the rim that he usually makes. He used to have a bad habit of coming up looking for whistles, rather than focusing on finishing and letting the fouls take care of themselves. He had gotten away from that the last couple of seasons, and he's been a much tougher player because of it. But on a lot of these shots over the last two games, it really looks like he's mentally done once the contact comes, and waiting for the refs to bail him out.

If he had been making just an average percentage of his shots at the rim, we wouldn't be having this discussion. His numbers would look a lot better, and that would have forced the Griz to bring more help defense on him, which would leave him more places to pass.

timaios
04-20-2011, 11:38 PM
He's been terrible both games.... especially at the end.

He made 2 great assists at the end... to RJ for the 3 in the corner and to Dice for the easy 2, i think that's the moment the game was won.

Parker is not great for the moment but he fights through it.

DMC
04-20-2011, 11:39 PM
If Tony was easy to neutralize, he wouldn't have 3 rings and a Finals MVP. The guy is crafty, fast and dominates in the fast break. He's not easy to neutralize.

Pauleta14
04-20-2011, 11:45 PM
Well his decisions at the end are questionable, although this specific jumper usually falls for him (you might have noticed he scored it once in the first half, actually). His shooting isn't too great (6-14 this time, not horrible but we would expect 7-14 or 8-14 on a usual night).

12 points, 7 assists, 4 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block, and only 2 turnovers + decent play on the defensive end. It doesn't look all that shitty to me (especially since he, like the rest of the Spurs team, didn't get any love from the refs tonight).

People will remember the 2 possessions when Pop obviously told him to burn the clock down - and will forget the 2 clutch passes he made just before to create the lead.

This.

MannyIsGod
04-20-2011, 11:45 PM

No, two games is slightly more than one game.

MannyIsGod
04-20-2011, 11:46 PM
If Tony was easy to neutralize, he wouldn't have 3 rings and a Finals MVP. The guy is crafty, fast and dominates in the fast break. He's not easy to neutralize.

Exactly.

Cane
04-20-2011, 11:56 PM
He is going through a rough stretch but he still had 7 assists, 2 turnovers, 4 rebounds, a block, a steal, and 12 points on 6-14 shooting like what will_spurs posted.

Parker has been altering his shots a lot, imo he's overrating the Grizz's shotblocking.

Proxy
04-21-2011, 01:50 AM
He made 2 great assists at the end... to RJ for the 3 in the corner and to Dice for the easy 2, i think that's the moment the game was won.

Parker is not great for the moment but he fights through it.

TBH, he was good... the pass to RJ was key, but if we want to realistically win another ring, then we need him at all-star level. We need him hitting the mid range to keep the D honest. He's usually clutch with that shot.... he doesn't have any confidence for some reason.

G-Dawgg
04-21-2011, 02:18 AM
He's just adjusting....after all, this is the first time in years that he hasn't had Eva cheering him from the stands in the playoffs....

Obstructed_View
04-21-2011, 02:53 AM
Parker may not have been world-beating Parker the last two games, but he's been far from "neutral". Funny how much better he was this second game when he was allowed to be the point guard instead of Hill.

igruex
04-21-2011, 03:26 AM
Hopefully he will find his jumper next game, that's crucial to give him more space to attack the paint it kind of affects his mentality too. We need him to carry us in MEM, he should be taking 15-20 well selected shots, after all he always has been our most reliable scorer.

spursbird
04-21-2011, 04:15 AM
Haters always hate.

Slomo
04-21-2011, 04:23 AM
It's not that easy really....

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/fa/fullj.326609d7d054c2c658377dfb2d883de9/326609d7d054c2c658377dfb2d883de9-getty-112184284rm006_memphis_griz.jpg

TDMVPDPOY
04-21-2011, 05:05 AM
grizz pulling out a playbook from the lakers 3peat....shut tp driving lanes....

NewJerSpur
04-21-2011, 05:07 AM
It's not that easy really....

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/fa/fullj.326609d7d054c2c658377dfb2d883de9/326609d7d054c2c658377dfb2d883de9-getty-112184284rm006_memphis_griz.jpg

Judging from that pic, with the look on Parker's face, it looks like Allen has his hand in the proctologist zone.

Bambililos
04-21-2011, 05:09 AM
TP has not been playing well enough, to say the least. He's way too passive at the moment, but I'm confident he will get it right for the rest of the series. Everybody knows he's the key to the series, and he won't let us down.

JonNOKC
04-21-2011, 07:37 AM
Tony has been pretty good in the 1st half of both games - so maybe he needs to change whatever hes doing at half time (hope hes not texting)

At the end of this game he had two great looks and just missed - you can't really fault the shots - its not like he took a 20ft jump shot early in the clock, both were 12-16ft shots usually more in his comfort zone

cheguevara
04-21-2011, 08:31 AM
Tony blows

cheguevara
04-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Tony has been pretty good in the 1st half of both games -

what the hell r u smoking? he was beyond awful in game 1 and shitty in game 2

JonNOKC
04-21-2011, 09:33 AM
what the hell r u smoking? he was beyond awful in game 1 and shitty in game 2

My bad on game 1 he played well in 2nd half in particular the 3rd qtr.(15pts, 4asts,1 TO, and 3 steals - of course he had couple poor decisions in last 2 min) and game 2 he played well in 1st half (8pts,5ast,1TO,4-6 FG)

My main point was he hasn't played a complete game for whatever reason and he is the one guy in the big 3 that has no excuses (age, injury, etc)

If TP can play a complete game and make adjustments as the Grizzlies change the way they defend him it would really give Spurs upper hand in this series - our backcourt must outplay theirs

lefty
04-21-2011, 09:46 AM
He played like shit, BUT made 2 great assists in the 4th quarter of game 2

spursfan09
04-21-2011, 09:46 AM
I was at the game last night, and he turned the ball over. I forgot how exactly, and I just started booing. I wasn't upset with TP personally, but I think other people started booing and TP just looked around like "really?" Not sure if anyone noticed that or it was just my imagination. I expect much more from TP, but that's because I know what he is capable of. He hadsn't been into it the last two games in terms of his shooting and closing out games, but he's been okay. He tried to take over at the end and couldn't make any clutch jumpers at the end. I'm so used to him making those that I beleive this is just a bad stretch.

polandprzem
04-21-2011, 10:05 AM
2 games is not a trend

What's trend then?

I thought Tony would demolish Memphis.
It seems like not only he is not destroying opponents he is making really bad decisions.
Jeez shooting over Gasol just because?
You forcing the switches to have a speed advantage over bigger guys. Not to shoot over them

Bito Corleone
04-21-2011, 10:05 AM
When his J isn't falling and our 3s are missing....Very Easy.
This. When a team figures that they don't have to respect his/our jump shot over the course of a game they can fully commit to collapsing on him when he tries to attack the lane.

polandprzem
04-21-2011, 10:07 AM
And btw. Spurs not gonna win this series without TP putting the pressure on D like he used to do.
He is still capable of doing. He must get over the hump.

He is the youngest of the big3 and he should make this playoffs his playoffs. Well maybe he is trying to do too much?

rjv
04-21-2011, 10:21 AM
memphis is dropping 4 back after shot attempts and stopping our transition so that has been limiting our ability to get to the rim. during the last minute they sagged off him completely and forced tony to shoot from the perimeter. but tony will have to get back to the form he had when he was finals MVP and just attack the rim and try to get the foul or dish it out (of course, the grizz are just sticking to our perimiter shooters like glue).

WeNeedLength
04-21-2011, 11:25 AM
If he's scared of driving into the lane of Zach "I can't jump for shit" Randolph, then something's seriously wrong here.

kaji157
04-21-2011, 01:01 PM
The problem with parker is that everyone here wants him to be ginobili.
He wasn't great last game, but he didn't suck. Maybe he sucked in game one.
Ginobili tends to up his game when someone is lacking, if there is no Parker, or no Duncan, it's usually the scenario that sets for a Ginobili explosion.
In Parker's case it's different, when Ginobili or Duncan is down, he really has a hard time dealing with the extra defensive pressure.
I think the regression on his Jump Shoot is getting to him, because his defenders are backing up a lot as they did in the past, maybe he has to work again on his jumper to became deadly again.
He has it in him, but he has been focusing a lot on the corner 3 and his jump shoot seems less reliable lately.

Mugen
04-21-2011, 01:04 PM
this is an important series for Tony going forward because Memphis is pretty much playing him the way LA (IF they play them) will defend him.

They're definitely packing in the paint and giving hard help on the PnR. The screener is coming off open most of the time (Dice, Bonner) and Tony needs to do a better job of finding those guys. His J is absolutely critical these playoffs for him and it makes this team a lot tougher to guard.

I do think that guarding Conley has taken a little bit out of him on the offensive end but he's done a pretty good job of defending. If he keeps struggling then maybe Pop might switch Hill onto Conley and let TP get Allen (doubt it since Hill's mins. usually line up with Mayo's).

I still think that he's going to have a breakout game in Memphis but if he continues to struggle than that's a bad sign if the Spurs are able to advance past this round.

Jimcs50
04-21-2011, 01:05 PM
I'll bet wine that TP has almost a career game in game 3 and he leads team to victory.

He is waiting to go off at any minute.

Pauleta14
04-21-2011, 01:35 PM
The problem with parker is that everyone here wants him to be ginobili.
He wasn't great last game, but he didn't suck. Maybe he sucked in game one.
Ginobili tends to up his game when someone is lacking, if there is no Parker, or no Duncan, it's usually the scenario that sets for a Ginobili explosion.
In Parker's case it's different, when Ginobili or Duncan is down, he really has a hard time dealing with the extra defensive pressure.
I think the regression on his Jump Shoot is getting to him, because his defenders are backing up a lot as they did in the past, maybe he has to work again on his jumper to became deadly again.
He has it in him, but he has been focusing a lot on the corner 3 and his jump shoot seems less reliable lately.

:lmao

Did you start watching the spurs 2 games ago?!

The 1st example that jumps in my mind was a back to back against the Mavs then the Blazers where BOTH Tim and Manu didn't play, TP had something like 76pts and 20assits in 2 nights (2 wins)...

You started your post well though, TP is not Manu, neither in his play, his personality, his leadership or his abilityto make his teamates better...

TP is none of that, but come on! How can you ignore TP's ability to almost win a game by himself (as Timmy used to and Manu still does) when his O in "on"?

this is crazy ...:lol

Obstructed_View
04-21-2011, 01:40 PM
I was at the game last night, and he turned the ball over. I forgot how exactly, and I just started booing. I wasn't upset with TP personally, but I think other people started booing and TP just looked around like "really?" Not sure if anyone noticed that or it was just my imagination. I expect much more from TP, but that's because I know what he is capable of. He hadsn't been into it the last two games in terms of his shooting and closing out games, but he's been okay. He tried to take over at the end and couldn't make any clutch jumpers at the end. I'm so used to him making those that I beleive this is just a bad stretch.

Nice to hear that the booing Spurs fans didn't know what the fuck they were booing about. I certainly thought the same thing when I saw it. That was pretty embarrassing.

z0sa
04-21-2011, 01:43 PM
All it takes is one of the League's best defenses.

:rolleyes

Seriously, I do agree he's been bothered too easily for a borderline superstar-caliber point guard, but on that same note, Parker has missed a double digit amount of gimmes in just these first two games. I suspect the law of averages will run its course.

hater
04-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Tony will have 1 or 2 monster games this series. That is a given.

but I agree he has the talent to have monster games every single game. :bang

DMC
04-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Tony will have 1 or 2 monster games this series. That is a given.

but I agree he has the talent to have monster games every single game. :bang

Unless the other team focuses on him. That's a huge bonus for a PG to have, when other teams worry as much about his penetration as they do about his passing (probably more). That's what he wants them to do.

FkLA
04-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Tony's J has always been trash. Thats why barring injuries he's always been the least consistent out of the Big 3. This isnt the first time that teams have closed down the paint on him, and he's been neutralized as far as scoring goes. He's still running the team decently though so Im not complaining too much tbh. He'll pick it up.

Obstructed_View
04-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Tony's J has always been trash. Thats why barring injuries he's always been the least consistent out of the Big 3. This isnt the first time that teams have closed down the paint on him, and he's been neutralized as far as scoring goes. He's still running the team decently though so Im not complaining too much tbh. He'll pick it up.

Thank you for the 2004 perspective on your post.

FkLA
04-21-2011, 05:02 PM
His shot has improved but its still far from reliable. As far as top-tier PGs go, probably only Rondo has a worse shot. I think they stopped doing those NBA Hot Spots this season...but for the 09-10 season his FG% in that midrange area was something like 30%. There's been no significant improvement on his shot this season from last. His shot has been just as bad.

Chomag
04-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Parker should be tearing up this team. I'm not sure whats going on with him but he needs to figure it out. Sooner or later but hopefully sooner he will because he has so many times before,

Obstructed_View
04-21-2011, 05:17 PM
His shot has improved but its still far from reliable. As far as top-tier PGs go, probably only Rondo has a worse shot. I think they stopped doing those NBA Hot Spots this season...but for the 09-10 season his FG% in that midrange area was something like 30%. There's been no significant improvement on his shot this season from last. His shot has been just as bad.

I don't know how to pull up those stats, but I'd be pretty confident in saying he's one of the most reliable mid-range jump shooters over the last few years. Someone's welcome to prove me wrong. While I agree that a layup is almost always a better choice, Tony Parker has sealed dozens of Spurs wins with that little free throw extended jumper.

FkLA
04-21-2011, 05:38 PM
I don't know how to pull up those stats, but I'd be pretty confident in saying he's one of the most reliable mid-range jump shooters over the last few years. Someone's welcome to prove me wrong. While I agree that a layup is almost always a better choice, Tony Parker has sealed dozens of Spurs wins with that little free throw extended jumper.

Ive never felt comfortable with Tony's shot tbh. I think he showed clear improvement when he first started working with Chip but has kind of plateaued now at a point thats still below average. I dont think he's been anywhere near one of the best midrange jumpshooters, despite hitting some timely shots from those areas.

http://www.nba.com/hotspots/

dbreiden83080
04-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Wow so insightful.. :rolleyes

He is gonna break out soon. They are focusing on him staying out of the paint so much but if we can start making them pay consistanly with the 3 the lane will open up..

TD 21
04-21-2011, 07:30 PM
He's getting a lot of good looks IMO, he just can't make his jump shot..

IMO, Memphis will start making less jump shots, and TP will start making them..well, at least I hope so, the law of averages better come through..

Exactly.

If it were so easy, he'd have been neutralized years ago and wouldn't have went on to make three All-Star teams, a Finals MVP and an All-NBA team.

I'm not concerned about him. He's a consistent player. Back to back bad games are rare, so I expect him to break out in game three and spearhead an offensive explosion. The Grizzlies have done a nice job defensively and are a good defensive team to begin with, but they're not elite defensively and even if they were, this is too good an offensive team to not go off at some point.

Even though the Grizzlies shot just under 40%, they made a lot of shots they're not likely to continue making. Like Allen and Young's cadre of mid range jumpers. Arthur hit a few ridiculously difficult turnarounds at the end of the shot clock. Vasquez, a 29% three-point shooting, hit a quick catch-and-shoot fling as the shot clock was detonating. Look for law of averages to come into play.

20beastie45
04-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Tony is not playing well. On the other hand GHILL is making the most of every minute he gets. I'm loving his intensity on the glass.

Slippy
04-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Tony is going through a rough patch but you gotta feel good about him turning it around. Seems to be thinking too much instead of playing in a flow. The travel call was an eye opener. Didn't help that the entire team was playing a little crazy in the first half.

One trend that is concerning. He's becoming predictable in important moments of a game,relying on his jumpshot too much.

spurtech09
04-21-2011, 11:44 PM
yeah parker hasn't played very well he needs to step up in game 3......

Kamala
04-22-2011, 06:14 AM
We need some tear drops and jumpers only in the flow of the offense. He doesn't look like he is quite right.

1Parker1
04-22-2011, 07:28 AM
I'll bet wine that TP has almost a career game in game 3 and he leads team to victory.

I'll agree to this...except I'm cheap so I'll just bet box wine :oops :lol

Nice to see Spursfan still trying to compare the effectiveness of our starting backcourt by pitting them against each other.

Manu had one of his best performances as a Spurs in Game 2, which is saying something considering he didn't exactly have his best offensive or FT shooting game. But I think the nature of the situation and the fact that he was coming back from an injury seemed to light a fire in the rest of the team.

Parker goes for 30 in Game 3; book it.

Sincerely,
Church of Tony

portnoy1
04-22-2011, 07:53 AM
Tony is going through a rough patch but you gotta feel good about him turning it around. Seems to be thinking too much instead of playing in a flow. The travel call was an eye opener. Didn't help that the entire team was playing a little crazy in the first half.

One trend that is concerning. He's becoming predictable in important moments of a game,relying on his jumpshot too much.
But then RJ did the same thing next play. Same situation; both got caught in the air, Parker (traveled) RJ (bad pass).

portnoy1
04-22-2011, 07:57 AM
I'll agree to this...except I'm cheap so I'll just bet box wine :oops :lol

Nice to see Spursfan still trying to compare the effectiveness of our starting backcourt by pitting them against each other.

Manu had one of his best performances as a Spurs in Game 2, which is saying something considering he didn't exactly have his best offensive or FT shooting game. But I think the nature of the situation and the fact that he was coming back from an injury seemed to light a fire in the rest of the team.

Parker goes for 30 in Game 3; book it.

Sincerely,
Church of Tony
If he takes whats given him I'm sure he'll get 15pt and 7/8ast. TP cant hit 20pts worth of jumpers, and thats what memphis will give him. That whole driving in getting layups wont be allowed by memphis unless its in transition. He's just gonna have to drive, stop at the free throw line and kick and trust that everybody will make the right play after that.

ElNono
04-23-2011, 07:53 PM

:rolleyes

Obstructed_View
04-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Parker's in a shooting slump. He's not going to be forever. He's either going to snap out of it soon, or he's going to snap out of it next season.

pgardn
04-23-2011, 08:03 PM
this is an important series for Tony going forward because Memphis is pretty much playing him the way LA (IF they play them) will defend him.

They're definitely packing in the paint and giving hard help on the PnR. The screener is coming off open most of the time (Dice, Bonner) and Tony needs to do a better job of finding those guys. His J is absolutely critical these playoffs for him and it makes this team a lot tougher to guard.

I do think that guarding Conley has taken a little bit out of him on the offensive end but he's done a pretty good job of defending. If he keeps struggling then maybe Pop might switch Hill onto Conley and let TP get Allen (doubt it since Hill's mins. usually line up with Mayo's).

I still think that he's going to have a breakout game in Memphis but if he continues to struggle than that's a bad sign if the Spurs are able to advance past this round.

Yep.
The J sets up the drive and vice versa.

We gotta have him. Ginobili is clearly not at full throttle. We are lucky to still be in this one.

Bito Corleone
04-23-2011, 08:50 PM
If the Spurs make it through this series, Memphis has shown everyone how to shut down the Spurs. If you stop Tony, you stop SA. This has been the case for a long time and yet many teams have either not been able to pick up on it, or not be able to pull it off.

Obstructed_View
04-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Nobody's shut down Tony Parker. He's just playing badly.

Spurs Brazil
04-23-2011, 09:25 PM
This series so far is on Tony Parker. He's playing pathetic. If he doesn't wake up as soon as next game this thing is over.

I expected Bonner to choke, Blair play dumb, Pop not playing Tiago but never saw Tony playing like crap and being outplayed by Conley

TDMVPDPOY
04-23-2011, 09:29 PM
man some of you clowns have high expectations from parker,

all the memphis is doing clogging up the lane and stayin in front of him..stealing a playbook from the lakers tactic on parker...

then again stupid shot selections and running into defenders and losing the ball :(

ElNono
04-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Exactly.

If it were so easy, he'd have been neutralized years ago and wouldn't have went on to make three All-Star teams, a Finals MVP and an All-NBA team.

Years ago is not this year, it seems...

Cane
04-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Parker played A LOT better last year for the fist 3 playoffs games and he was injured.

This has been one hell of a nosedive for Parker so far, hopefully he can turn it around for the next game...