PDA

View Full Version : We all may as well shut up about Splitter, despite the stats on Bonner/Blair

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Grizzlies are averaging 40 PPG in the paint in this series.

Tonight, they also added 20 points off of offensive rebounds.

Bonner and Blair are getting destroyed at the defensive end. Zach and Gasol are getting whatever shot they want, and the moment the Twin Shrimps are out there together, the Memphis perimeter players are going to the rack with no fear.

And despite all this, Splitter is still glued to the bench.

Pop often says that the rookies are treated the way they are until they "get over themselves". That's very Larry Brownish of him, as far as hate of rookies go.

Perhaps it's time Pop "get over himself". I yearn for the day when someone in the SA media nuts up and asks him to.

Budkin
04-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Maybe if Splitter played "the right way," he'd get more playing time.

jag
04-20-2011, 10:44 PM
Free Tiago?

Spurs Brazil
04-20-2011, 10:44 PM
We know Pop won't play Tiago so I just hope we doesn't see the Turd Towers. I thought during the playoffs we won't see them for more than 5 minutes together but they're playing for 10 or more so far.

Put Bonner with TD and Dice with Blair

Master splitter
04-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Maybe pop doesn't want to risk splitter getting injured in this series, he's saving him for the lakers. Hmmm...

will_spurs
04-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Yeah but you aren't there during the practices, if he had earned play time then he would get it. Oh wait...

8FOR!3
04-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Bonner came in and played with Duncan today. If Bonner is playing, the most efficient lineup is putting him with Duncan. Him and Blair suck and I find him and Dice together aren't any better.

Juggity
04-20-2011, 10:53 PM
Pop often says that the rookies are treated the way they are until they "get over themselves". That's very Larry Brownish of him, as far as hate of rookies go.

Neal is a rookie, yet he gets significant playing time.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-20-2011, 10:53 PM
Bonner came in and played with Duncan today. If Bonner is playing, the most efficient lineup is putting him with Duncan. Him and Blair suck and I find him and Dice together aren't any better.

Bonner and Blair were on the floor together for the last 4 minutes of the third, and first couple to start the fourth. When Memphis tied it up, then Tim came back in and that was that.

One of Dice or Duncan or Splitter needs to be on the floor at all times.

Maybe pop doesn't want to risk splitter getting injured in this series, he's saving him for the lakers. Hmmm...

Right now we aren't going to get past Memphis at this rate.

And if we do, the Thunder front line of Perkins, Durant, Ibaka, and our old friend Nazr are going to clown on Bonner and Blair.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Neal is a rookie, yet he gets significant playing time.

Only because we are trying to manage the time for Manu. Gary basically gets whatever PT that is left after Manu and Hill need a break.

tim210g
04-20-2011, 10:57 PM
splitter aint gettin no playin time in this series so quit crying.. pop obviously knows what hes doing he has 4 titles he sees splitter everyday he isnt playing him for a reason

weebo
04-20-2011, 10:59 PM
fuck pop... that senile old bastard needs to take a hike after the season

Spurs7794
Bonner and Blair were on the floor together for the last 4 minutes of the third, and first couple to start the fourth. When Memphis tied it up, then Tim came back in and that was that.

One of Dice or Duncan or Splitter needs to be on the floor at all times.

Right now we aren't going to get past Memphis at this rate.

And if we do, the Thunder front line of Perkins, Durant, Ibaka, and our old friend Nazr are going to clown on Bonner and Blair.

Actually, I think memphis's front line is better. OKC is more of a defensive front line anyway which I think we deal with better. Plus, the Spurs are good at defending isolation heavy players.
First we gotta get by these beasts in Memphis.

Aggie Hoopsfan
splitter aint gettin no playin time in this series so quit crying.. pop obviously knows what hes doing he has 4 titles he sees splitter everyday he isnt playing him for a reason

Ah yes, the Pop has four titles (but none in the last three seasons) argument. Solid defense for the problems we are seeing on the court this series. :tu

I bet you thought Malik Rose was still good when he was with the Knicks too!

Bonner should be the sixth man off the bench for this team, not it's sixth man.

Whisky Dog
As far as I can tell you're the only one bringing up Splitter constantly, aggy

NASpurs
04-20-2011, 11:01 PM

He's gone senile. Watch a fucking game once in a while.

As for Splitter, he should start working on that three point shot and dye his hair red.

jag
04-20-2011, 11:02 PM
I don't care what Timvp says... I know he's raw, but there's just no reason to think Splitter wouldn't be a better option down low than Blair. His defensive stats (especially his advanced possession-by-possession stats) show he's a far better option. Timvp is busy trying to play the straight man to all this Tiago ranting but there's no way he believes what he's saying.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-20-2011, 11:03 PM
I hate to say it, but I think Pop is using Bonner as a strategem to drag one of the Grizz bigs away from the rim, and he's hoping to break even on the defensive end (fat chance).

Like you, I can't see why he doesn't use Splitter.

However, I'm almost certain we'll see significant Splitter action against the Fakers.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-20-2011, 11:03 PM

Here, let me help you:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177586

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177323

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177473

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177527

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177278

All on the first two pages...

Mr. Body
04-20-2011, 11:07 PM
It's baffling that a guy with size and good post defense, who also has big game experience, isn't playing.

ChuckD
04-20-2011, 11:07 PM
We know Pop won't play Tiago so I just hope we doesn't see the Turd Towers. I thought during the playoffs we won't see them for more than 5 minutes together but they're playing for 10 or more so far.

Put Bonner with TD and Dice with Blair

Dice looks done. He's looked awful in both games so far.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-20-2011, 11:08 PM
I hate to say it, but I think Pop is using Bonner as a strategem to drag one of the Grizz bigs away from the rim, and he's hoping to break even on the defensive end (fat chance).

However, I'm almost certain we'll see significant Splitter action against the Fakers.

Pop has been using this "strategy" ever since Bonner got here, after Robert Horry left. It hasn't exactly been working out for us, at least in the playoffs.

We all know the strategy. But come on - Bonner's taken a total of seven shots in 42 minutes in this series. Seven freaking shots! Memphis doesn't respect him, isn't covering him, and doesn't give a damn about him defensively.

A "spread the floor" four is only worth minutes if they're actually spreading the floor. But we're playing four on five offensively right now with him out there, and defensively they're just clowning him. You don't see it as much if Tim or Dice are out there with him to cover up his mistakes, but it's a damn free for all when it's him and Blair out there.

Bonner's not justifying the minutes right now. He should get two minutes off the bench when Tim or Dice need a breather, and if he doesn't hit his first 2-3 attempts, put him back on the bench. That's it.

It's a damn farce that he is in the third big on this team. And it's why Tim Duncan will retire without another ring. It's stupid as shit. We all used to laugh at Larry Brown and Don Nelson for being such idiots, but Pop's turned into Larry Nelson here in his twilight as our coach.

ChuckD
04-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Oh, and for those tracking:

Danny Green 1 minute in the series
Tiago Splitter 0 minutes in the series

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Dice looks done. He's looked awful in both games so far.

I disagree somewhat with this. He was huge in the last five minutes tonight, and was going toe to toe with Zach too. But he sucked game one, I'll give you that.

He's just too old to hold down the fort like he used to, and it doesn't help that Zach and Gasol expend absolutely no energy at either end while matched up with Blair and Bonner. They get whatever they want with little effort offensively, and they don't have to worry about either defensively.

NASpurs
04-20-2011, 11:11 PM
Some of you guys are being too harsh on Dice. He was battling back problems at the end of the regular season (even more reason to play Splitter).

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-20-2011, 11:13 PM
Pop has been using this "strategy" ever since Bonner got here, after Robert Horry left. It hasn't exactly been working out for us, at least in the playoffs.

We all know the strategy. But come on - Bonner's taken a total of seven shots in 42 minutes in this series. Seven freaking shots! Memphis doesn't respect him, isn't covering him, and doesn't give a damn about him defensively.

A "spread the floor" four is only worth minutes if they're actually spreading the floor. But we're playing four on five offensively right now with him out there, and defensively they're just clowning him. You don't see it as much if Tim or Dice are out there with him to cover up his mistakes, but it's a damn free for all when it's him and Blair out there.

Bonner's not justifying the minutes right now. He should get two minutes off the bench when Tim or Dice need a breather, and if he doesn't hit his first 2-3 attempts, put him back on the bench. That's it.

It's a damn farce that he is in the third big on this team. And it's why Tim Duncan will retire without another ring. It's stupid as shit. We all used to laugh at Larry Brown and Don Nelson for being such idiots, but Pop's turned into Larry Nelson here in his twilight as our coach.

Totally agree. I was simply agreeing what a flawed "strategy" it is.

Tiago looked really good when he got significant minutes near the end of the season, and Pop should get his arse on the floor.

jag
04-20-2011, 11:14 PM

Of course that's what he's doing. But it doesn't make sense if Bonner and Blair are on the court together getting abused down low.

I can't stand Bonner seeing any type of minutes. His offensive output doesn't make up for the gaping hole he provides the opposing team with on the other end of the floor. But in all honesty, Tiago isn't riding pine because of Bonner. Blair is the reason he's not seeing minutes. And I think it's because in Pop's eyes he's "earned" it.

LongtimeSpursFan
04-20-2011, 11:16 PM

Tonight, they also added 20 points off of offensive rebounds.

Bonner and Blair are getting destroyed at the defensive end. Zach and Gasol are getting whatever shot they want, and the moment the Twin Shrimps are out there together, the Memphis perimeter players are going to the rack with no fear.

And despite all this, Splitter is still glued to the bench.

Perhaps it's time Pop "get over himself". I yearn for the day when someone in the SA media nuts up and asks him to.

Do you have any more insight to provide other than constantly complaining about Pop, Bonner and Blair?
Memphis front line of Gasol and Randolph had significant less production than they did in Game 1 and you still whine.

thOOdee
04-20-2011, 11:23 PM
pop rather take the whole team down than admit he was wrong...sad really during duncans last years.

Man In Black
04-20-2011, 11:24 PM
It's going to be a good trick if Pop can hold off until the LAL. Any sooner than means that the bigs outside the of any member of the Big 3, weren't able to fulfill their roles fully and that forces Pop to reveal the trick.
I will say that for as awesome as Gasol and Randolph played in Game 1, it took a defensive breakdown on the perimeter in the final 30 seconds for the Spurs to lose that game.
In game 2, I was more irked at RJ's porous D in the 1st quarter. But I was cool with his O tonight.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-20-2011, 11:28 PM
Do you have any more insight to provide other than constantly complaining about Pop, Bonner and Blair?
Memphis front line of Gasol and Randolph had significant less production than they did in Game 1 and you still whine.

Do you even understand why that is? It's because Dice wasn't in foul trouble like game 1 and got to log 12 minutes more time tonight than game 1.

And do you even get Bonner and Blair and their roles on this team?

Bonner's role is to open up the court with his outside shooting. He is now 3-7 shooting in 43 minutes in this series. You think Memphis is worried about Bonner making one basket every 14 minutes he's on the floor? :lol Hollins is over there thanking Pop for making him look so good.

Blair's role is defense, rebounding, and hustle points. He's shooting 33% for the series, is being outrebounded by every Memphis big man, and is getting his shot swatted at the offensive end every time.

The playoffs are all about adjustments in the series. Pop ain't adjusting. He's just being his arrogant, prick ass self. And the way it's going, it's going to work out just like the last three seasons of small ball and Matt Bonner as the stretch four have for us:

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/EagleTrophy-1.jpg

Whisky Dog
04-20-2011, 11:34 PM
Here, let me help you:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177586

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177323

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177473

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177527

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177278

All on the first two pages...

I don't read threads started by no name insignificant posters. You seem to be the ringleader of them all as every post of yours I've seen is about this one topic. Repeated over and over...

jag
04-20-2011, 11:36 PM
It's going to be a good trick if Pop can hold off until the LAL. Any sooner than means that the bigs outside the of any member of the Big 3, weren't able to fulfill their roles fully and that forces Pop to reveal the trick.
I will say that for as awesome as Gasol and Randolph played in Game 1, it took a defensive breakdown on the perimeter in the final 30 seconds for the Spurs to lose that game.
In game 2, I was more irked at RJ's porous D in the 1st quarter. But I was cool with his O tonight.

I hate to break it to you, but there is no "trick."

jag
04-20-2011, 11:37 PM
I don't read threads started by no name insignificant posters. You seem to be the ringleader of them all as every post of yours I've seen is about this one topic. Repeated over and over...

90% of this forum is complaining about the exact same thing.

You bitching about people bitching is rich.

velik_m
04-20-2011, 11:38 PM
Here is an old article on Gasol vs. Splitter from the spanish league:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Marquee-Matchup-Marc-Gasol-vs.-Tiago-Splitter-1951/

Marquee Matchup: Marc Gasol vs. Tiago Splitter

by: Luis Fernández - Director of International Scouting
March 25, 2007
In terms of the 2007 NBA Draft, there’s not a better big-men matchup in the Old Continent than the one we saw this weekend between Marc Gasol and Tiago Splitter. They backed up the hype by delivering strong performances, actually one of their best showings this season for both players.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Marquee-Matchup-Marc-Gasol-vs.-Tiago-Splitter-1951/#ixzz1K84zqEtg
http://www.draftexpress.com

Spurminator
04-20-2011, 11:47 PM
I thought Bonner played pretty damn well inside tonight, all things considered. He was active, forced some turnovers, grabbed some boards in traffic.

The defense overall was great tonight. Too many turnovers and poor offensive possessions.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-20-2011, 11:47 PM

At least one of those was started by LJ. And within those threads were takes by some great posters of this forum. Can you give me a list of posters that make your gold star thread starter list?

I guess we should get the forum shut down until we can get Jack Ramsay to start a new thread for your ass. I left a message for Phil too, maybe he'll chime in after the New Orleans game. Coach K couldn't make it either, he's out recruiting right now.

If that's all you got, just scroll. I've talked stats and strategy. All you've countered with is whiny bitch posts. Just move along.

timvp
04-21-2011, 12:23 AM

Bro, 40 PPG is a great number for the Spurs. In the regular season, the Grizzlies averaged more than 50 points per game in the paint on the season. Holding the Grizzlies to 40 points per game in the paint is holding the Grizzlies to below the NBA league average and below the regular season average of Spurs opponents.

As far as Splitter is concerned, I'd personally have him in the rotation. But like I've said, that ship has sailed. Pop didn't play him enough in the regular season to break him out now for playoff basketball. I think that was a mistake by Pop ... but we'll see how the postseason plays out.

But yeah, stressing about Splitter not playing is pointless right now. It's been obvious since February that Splitter wasn't in the playoff plans. Even if Pop wanted to change his mind, it's too late now.

P.S.

And no, Splitter isn't being saved for a Lakers series. He won't play against the Lakers either ... if the Spurs make it that far.

ducks
04-21-2011, 12:25 AM
splitter would get owned out there

gasol went off on him when he played against them

splitter would be usefully but he is not ready this year
thanks to his injury early on which was not pops fault

Splits
04-21-2011, 12:39 AM
If we win, Spurstalk spawns 300 "we didn't win by enough!!1 wtf where was Splitter????/" threads

If we lose, Spurstalk spawns 400 "WTF??// why is Splitter getting no minutes Dice suxxxxxx! fukcing Bonner can only hit 3s in the 4th quarter that fucking choker!!!11"

Can't win in this place.

KenziE
04-21-2011, 12:56 AM
If we win, Spurstalk spawns 300 "we didn't win by enough!!1 wtf where was Splitter????/" threads

If we lose, Spurstalk spawns 400 "WTF??// why is Splitter getting no minutes Dice suxxxxxx! fukcing Bonner can only hit 3s in the 4th quarter that fucking choker!!!11"

Can't win in this place.

hahaha so true

jjktkk
04-21-2011, 12:59 AM

Pop would tell aggie to "get over himself". :lol

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 03:01 AM
I can't tell if the Spurs won tonight.

spursbird
04-21-2011, 03:03 AM
If Tiago can shoot 3 Pop will play him in no time

FoxPerez
04-21-2011, 03:39 AM

Can't win in this place.

Thank you!

Seriously, Randolph and Gasol combine for an abysmal 23 points on 7-23 shooting and people are clamoring for Tiago to come in because... they think that he can get those two to shoot UNDER 30% from the field?

Give me a break. Pop doesn't think he's ready. His time will come. Break down possession-by-possession all you want from regular season games that don't matter right now. If you keep telling yourself that small samples of games in the regular season equates to what a player will do in the playoffs for a championship contender, then you are sorely mistaken.

He'll make the leap with San Antonio eventually, but now is not his time. Look at what happened with Richard Jefferson. He was awful in the playoffs despite solid regular season numbers last year. Splitter will be ready for heavy rotation and a playoff run in 2012. Keep whining for him all you want, but someone is going to have to get hurt or San Antonio will have to blow someone out if you want to see Tiago on the court in this year's playoffs.

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 03:57 AM
It's important to stick with a take no matter what.

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 04:04 AM
Neither player is Greek.

Obstructed_View
04-21-2011, 04:37 AM
Odd that we start a "shut up about Splitter" thread, and then don't.

ChuckD
04-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Odd that we start a "shut up about Splitter" thread, and then don't.

In this place? Not really...

:lol

dbestpro
04-21-2011, 08:23 AM
Maybe if Splitter played "the right way," he'd get more playing time.

Yeah, Tiago only alters shots, clogs the lane and basically wreaks havoc on the opposing teams game plan. He needs to be hoisting threes or getting his shot blocked after a rebound to be considered playing the right way.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Yeah, Tiago only alters shots, clogs the lane and basically wreaks havoc on the opposing teams game plan. He needs to be hoisting threes or getting his shot blocked after a rebound to be considered playing the right way.

Yep, if you're a white big man on this team, the only way you're getting run is if you can hit the three ball once a game to "spread the floor" when we don't even run our O through Tim anymore. :lol

LongtimeSpursFan
04-21-2011, 10:40 AM

Tiago alters shots? I dont think he's ever been considered a shot blocker. As far as a defensive presence he's probably a better 'second-defender' with his ability to draw fouls on opposing teams. But I would argue that his ability to defend the block on his primary defender is his downfall right now. He seems to lack the lower body strength to keep players like Randolph or Gasol out of the paint. To me he is much better suited for players like Pau Gasol, Aldridge, and other players that of that sort.

jeebus
04-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Tiago alters shots? I dont think he's ever been considered a shot blocker. As far as a defensive presence he's probably a better 'second-defender' with his ability to draw fouls on opposing teams. But I would argue that his ability to defend the block on his primary defender is his downfall right now. He seems to lack the lower body strength to keep players like Randolph or Gasol out of the paint. To me he is much better suited for players like Pau Gasol, Aldridge, and other players that of that sort.
While Bonner is better suited to play defense at the Y against kids. At least Tiago can defend and draw fouls; even if he only makes 1 or misses them both, it still puts a foul on one of their big men. Bonner goes out there and runs around fouling them while jacking up threes as if he's trying to mold the rim with his bricks.

rascal
04-21-2011, 11:21 AM
It's baffling that a guy with size and good post defense, who also has big game experience, isn't playing.

Splitter does not have good post defense. He can't jump, is a poor intimidator and rebounder and would be easily boxed out and pushed around in this series. You are overrating him.

LongtimeSpursFan
04-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Splitter does not have good post defense. He can't jump, is a poor intimidator and rebounder and would be easily boxed out and pushed around in this series. You are overrating him.

I agree 100 percent. Dont get me wrong I love Splitters game. I think he can make huge contributions to this team eventually, possibly even becoming a 10-10 guy if given ample minutes. Unfortunately with him missing training camp and some of the regular season he is just not ready to be out on the floor. Hopefully, during the offseason (if there is not lockout) he can work with the strength and shooting coaches to improve his game. With a full training camp to get him acclimated to the Spurs system we can finally see the center we have coveted since 2003.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-21-2011, 12:16 PM
splitter would get owned out there

gasol went off on him when he played against them

splitter would be usefully but he is not ready this year
thanks to his injury early on which was not pops fault

Yeah, he looked terrible going up against Gasol and Odom a couple of weeks ago :rolleyes

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-21-2011, 12:25 PM

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

Poor intimidator? Poor rebounder? :lol

Adjusted per 48 minutes, here are the rebounding and block stats for all of our bigs:

Rebounding (per 48)

Blair, 16
TD, 15.2
Dice 14.4
Splitter 13.6
Bonner 8.2

Blocks (per 48)

TD 3.2
Dice 1.3
Splitter 1.2
Blair 1.1
Bonner 0.7

jeebus
04-21-2011, 12:28 PM

Adjusted per 48 minutes, here are the rebounding and block stats for all of our bigs:

Rebounding (per 48)

Blair, 16
TD, 15.2
Dice 14.4
Splitter 13.6
Bonner 8.2

Blocks (per 48)

TD 3.2
Dice 1.3
Splitter 1.2
Blair 1.1
Bonner 0.7
lol Bonner

All you can do is laugh when it comes to Bonner's game. It's so terrible, yet sad to think that some people think he's a good option(the blind homers).

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Grizzlies are averaging 40 PPG in the paint in this series.How many points in the paint did the Grizzlies average during the regular season?

DesignatedT
04-21-2011, 01:56 PM
The Grizzlies averaged 42.1 Points in the Paint during the regular season, 3rd best among NBA teams. The Spurs gave up an average of 37.9 Points in the Paint during the regular season, 11th best among NBA teams.

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 02:03 PM
The Grizzlies averaged 42.1 Points in the Paint during the regular season, 3rd best among NBA teams. The Spurs gave up an average of 37.9 Points in the Paint during the regular season, 11th best among NBA teams.Could you tell me where you found those numbers? I, and I believe LJ found a source that had the Grizzlies' number much higher -- though the number you found would still be significant.

DesignatedT
04-21-2011, 02:10 PM
http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/teamstats/11/4/diffeff/1-1

Could be wrong.

FromWayDowntown
04-21-2011, 02:18 PM

Rebounding (per 48)

Blair, 16
TD, 15.2
Dice 14.4
Splitter 13.6
Bonner 8.2

Blocks (per 48)

TD 3.2
Dice 1.3
Splitter 1.2
Blair 1.1
Bonner 0.7

Jackie Butler was a "per 48 minutes" beast.

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 02:23 PM
http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/teamstats/11/4/diffeff/1-1

Could be wrong.Interesting.

Look at the Stats inset in this story:

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/nba/preview.asp?g=2011040121&home=21&vis=12

Still looking.

Fabbs
04-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Jackie Butler was a "per 48 minutes" beast.
Nothing like taking some obscure 1 minute per game Butler stat and try to use it against the very relevant stats Aggie posted.

Desperation.....
You're approaching Humpy level.

C'mon guy I've seen you post some very relevant stats before.
You're much better then this.

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 02:32 PM
Nothing like taking some obscure 1 minute per game Butler stat and try to use it against the very relevant stats Aggie posted.

Desperation.....

You're much better then this.You do now realize the Grizzlies are scoring below their regular season average in the paint, don't you?

You said it is a very relevant stat -- do you understand it?

FromWayDowntown
04-21-2011, 02:32 PM

Desperation.....

You're much better then this.

I didn't suggest that Splitter = Butler.

I did suggest that per 48 minute stats can be misleading.

mingus
04-21-2011, 04:16 PM
It's too bad really, but I'm over it. Pop is a douchebag. His shit is going to get slung right back in his face, unfortunately.

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Sure sounds like you're over it.

Mugen
04-21-2011, 05:30 PM
"Stand By Your Man"

-Chump

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Nah, I'm just making fun of silly people like you.

Mugen
04-21-2011, 05:51 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0901/history.jan28/images/greg-popovich.jpg

"you'll have bad times
and he'll have good times
doing things that you don't understand
but if you love him
you'll forgive him
even though he's hard to understand"

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 05:54 PM
See? It's fun to make fun of you.

mingus
04-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Nah, I'm just making fun of silly people like you.

Silly is spending enough time on here to get 50, 000 posts.

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 06:16 PM
It goes by pretty quickly when you don't pretend you're a coach or GM or newspaper editor.

mingus
04-21-2011, 06:24 PM
It goes by pretty quickly when you don't pretend you're a coach or GM or newspaper editor.

Good. The next time you argue politics remember you're not a politician. Or disagree with a judges verdict that you're not a judge. Don't think independently. Ever.

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Good. The next time you argue politics remember you're not a politician. Or disagree with a judges verdict that you're not a judge. Don't think independently. Ever.lol it's this kind of sanctimonious douchebaggery that keeps me coming back.

Nice straw man. :tu

AlleyOopNazi
04-21-2011, 06:45 PM
He hasn't gotten even a chance to prove his metal against gasol and randolf. Splitter has shown during the reg. season that he can make an immediate impact on a game and improve on his abilities throughout the season. He is above average position defender and help transition defender on this team simply because hes 25 and 7 ft tall!!! Yes, from time to time he looks awkward and uncoordinated on offense, but I would have issue with saying the exact same thing on the other end of the court.
The fact that he hasn't gotten a sniff of a chance at this playoff series scares me. Playing the 8th seeded team to a long drawn out series is a concern of mine, especially with the physicallity of Memphis and their home-court advantage. Tiago has the least amount of experience, this is obvious, but watching Bonner and Blair get abused every other time is getting old. Splitter moves his feet, gets to positions, draws charges, spaces the floor decently, can block shots, and can back-down in the post better than anyone other than Duncan on the spurs. In conclusion due to Tiago's size and the clear disadvantage Blair or Bonner have against their respective opponents, Tiago should not only be playing, but should be playing in place of Blair or Bonner.
:stirpot:

++SaiNt TiAg0++
04-21-2011, 06:57 PM

no weve already been asking those type of questions all year, and let me just say ..get ready to be disappointed when it comes to tiagos playing time

4>0rings
04-21-2011, 07:16 PM
Pop treating his players like animals. Trying to break them in their rookie year so he has complete control over them afterwards.

mingus
04-21-2011, 07:25 PM
lol it's this kind of sanctimonious douchebaggery that keeps me coming back.

Nice straw man. :tu

you have know clue what a strawman even is. if you knew what a strawman was you wouldn't have committed the fallacy in your initial post to begin with, claiming that i think i'm a coach just because i have a basketball opinion. you should also look up what argument from authority is because you committed that logical fallacy as well.

mingus
04-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Holy Shit. Chump viewing the thread literally a second after i posted this shit. get a fucking life.

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 07:27 PM
you have know clue what a strawman even is. if you knew what a strawman was you wouldn't have committed the fallacy in your initial post to begin with, claiming that i think i'm a coach just because i have a basketball opinion. you should also look up what argument from authority is because you committed that logical fallacy as well.I know exactly what I said and what you said.

You're pretending you're a coach.

Over and over and over again.

It's fun to watch.

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 07:28 PM
Holy Shit. Chump viewing the thread literally a second after i posted this shit. get a fucking life.Holy shit. Mingus checking to see if I'm reading his posts. Get a fucking life.

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 07:30 PM
I absolutely love the thread title.

mingus
04-21-2011, 07:31 PM
I know exactly what I said and what you said.

You're pretending you're a coach.

It's fun to watch.

i would argue with you, but i just realized that i'm not a logician. it's not my place.

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 07:32 PM
i would argue with you, but i just realized that i'm not a logician. it's not my place.It's fine to have an opinion.

It's fine to pretend you're a coach.

Just don't get butthurt when someone disagrees with you.

mingus
04-21-2011, 07:34 PM
It's fine to have an opinion.

It's fine to pretend you're a coach.

Just don't get butthurt when someone disagrees with you.

what'd you learn about fallacies?

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 07:35 PM
what'd you learn about fallacies?That your claiming to be over it was a fallacy.

mingus
04-21-2011, 07:36 PM
That your claiming to be over it was a fallacy.

gonna dodge it. i see. well, looks like i win, then. too easy.

mingus
04-21-2011, 07:37 PM
Chmp Dump in 3, 2, 1...

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 07:38 PM
gonna dodge it. i see. well, looks like i win, then. too easy.Hey, another fallacy!

lol over it

mingus
04-21-2011, 07:39 PM
you have know clue what a strawman even is. if you knew what a strawman was you wouldn't have committed the fallacy in your initial post to begin with, claiming that i think i'm a coach just because i have a basketball opinion. you should also look up what argument from authority is because you committed that logical fallacy as well.

i'm still over here. you've completely tried to change the subject.

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 07:41 PM
i'm still over here. you've completely tried to change the subject.You have a basketball opinion and are pretending to be a coach.

It's fun.

I even agree with those who pretend sometimes.

The ones who never get over it are the most fun.

mingus
04-21-2011, 07:43 PM
You have a basketball opinion and are pretending to be a coach.

what does it mean to be a coach? list all of the things a coach does, and i will tell you if i'm pretending to be one.

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 07:44 PM
what does it mean to be a coach? list all of the things a coach does, and i will tell you if i'm pretending to be one.
Another fallacy.

One does not have to do all the things a coach does to pretend to be a coach.

One thing is quite enough.

mingus
04-21-2011, 07:46 PM
One thing is quite enough.

wrong.

mingus
04-21-2011, 07:48 PM
when you make your dinner tonight, chump, are you pretending to be a chef?

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 07:49 PM
wrong.lmao

You think someone has to do everything a person does in real life in order to pretend to be that person.

That's the stupidest thing I have read in this thread.

And this is a pretty stupid thread.

mingus
04-21-2011, 07:51 PM
You think someone has to do everything a person does in real life in order to pretend to be that person.

i see that you STILL don't know what a strawman is.

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 07:52 PM
when you make your dinner tonight, chump, are you pretending to be a chef?When you pretended to be a soldier when you were a kid, did you do marching drills and mop the barracks?

mingus
04-21-2011, 07:53 PM
the only fallacy i've committed was thinking that i was going to get the last word in with a guy who's got 60,000 posts.

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 07:54 PM
the only fallacy i've committed was thinking that i was going to get the last word in with a guy who's got 60,000 posts.No, there were plenty more I pointed out.

You can pretend you didn't commit them.

It's fun.

mingus
04-21-2011, 07:54 PM
When you pretended to be a soldier when you were a kid, did you do marching drills and mop the barracks?

this has no relevancy. :lmao

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 07:55 PM
this has no relevancy. :lmaoI'll take that as a no.

This proves that one need not do everything a person does to pretend one is that person.

Thank you for your participation.

mingus
04-21-2011, 07:56 PM
No, there were plenty more I pointed out.

and you were wrong.

mingus
04-21-2011, 07:57 PM
take the last word, Mr. 60,000. it's probably all you live for.

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 07:58 PM
and you were wrong.You may pretend that as well. Can't stop you.

It's fun.

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 07:58 PM
take the last word, Mr. 60,000. it's probably all you live for.I pretend to live for it.

honestfool84
04-21-2011, 07:59 PM
yes, please shut up about Splitter.

Isitjustme?
04-21-2011, 08:16 PM
"Tommy (Austin)

Is Pops making a mistake by not playing Splitter?
John Hollinger (2:56 PM)

Perhaps, but Spurs spies tell me they like the Bonner-Blair combination better than either Splitter-Blair or Splitter-Bonner. Personally I think Spitter-Bonner could work, but what do I know. Also, I'm a little out of the loop on Griz-Spurs because they're playing concurrent with my Nuggets-Thunder series, so I've seen very little of the game action."

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/38011

ChumpDumper
04-21-2011, 08:17 PM
lol that is one dedicated basketball journalist.

GrandeDavid
04-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Splitter has definitely long since gotten over himself. I know him, he's a nice, humble, hard working dude, so Pop should have no qualms there. Pop's nuts for not at least giving him five freaking second quarter minutes. See what the man can do!? When I see Bonner and Blair out there in extended minutes I become deflated as a fan and realize how improbable it would be to win a championship.

Isitjustme?
04-21-2011, 08:31 PM
lol that is one dedicated basketball journalist.

Yeah, not sure why I even linked that :downspin:

thOOdee
04-21-2011, 08:39 PM
bonner will get injured and spurs will be champs once again.....count it

callo1
04-22-2011, 05:25 AM
Here is an old article on Gasol vs. Splitter from the spanish league:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Marquee-Matchup-Marc-Gasol-vs.-Tiago-Splitter-1951/

Although playing center on the offensive end, on defense Tiago handled the opponent power forward for the most part, and his usual match-up was the veteran Euro star Gregor Fucka, a very skilled and versatile 7-1 big. Splitter did a nice job on him whenever the Slovenian came close to the basket (either in the low post or in slashing moves), but he conceded too much space for the easy jumpers that Fucka can consistently knock down. Still, it could have very well been a coach decision, as there wasn’t much of an adjustment, with the priority apparently placed on locking down the lane against the super-sized Akasvayu frontcourt.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Marquee-Matchup-Marc-Gasol-vs.-Tiago-Splitter-1951/#ixzz1KFK0QxiP
http://www.draftexpress.com

If Tiago can handle Gregor Fucka, he can certainly handle that Big Fucka in Memphis:lol:lol:lol

Thomas82
04-22-2011, 08:34 AM
It looks like Project Spurs agrees with the majority of this board.

http://www.projectspurs.com/2011-articles/april/is-splitter-the-x-factor-for-spurs-against-grizzlies.html

pjjrfan
04-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Pop is pop. In 2004 playoffs against the Lakers he had Rose planted on the bench the whole series, then in game 6 as they were getting eliminated he puts him in and Rose immediately gets 5 offensive rebounds, Kerr who was calling the game commented, that's 5 offensive rebounds in five minutes, why hasn't he been playing. Kerr played with Rose and knew what this guy could bring, the thing that got Rose in the doghouse was that he tried to score more often than what Pop wanted is that any worse than what Blaiar does when he tries to put up weak shots under the basket?

superbigtime
04-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Pop complete moron for sticking w blair and bonner tandem all season long. But even worse w blair not starting. The two of them together really bring out their deficiencies...unreliable shooting and poor rebounding and poor defense. Why does he not see this? Play Splitter u old fool!

jag
04-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Pop complete moron for sticking w blair and bonner tandem all season long.

He managed to moron his way to 61 wins.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-22-2011, 02:35 PM

How many of those was Dice starting for, contributing to the Bonner/Blair tandem off the bench?

jag
04-22-2011, 02:43 PM
How many of those was Dice starting for, contributing to the Bonner/Blair tandem off the bench?

What's that have to do with Pop coaching the team to 61 wins?

Veterinarian
04-22-2011, 02:55 PM
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=676540195076&id=eb7d8127af7fc63e268f48d3d0bceaec&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.sportsmemorabilia.com%2ffiles %2fcache%2f00a%2fkeenan-mccardell-autographed-jacksonville-jaguars-8x10-photo_00af0d1a4c540aaccdc1f9e6dac72a40.jpg

Obstructed_View
04-22-2011, 09:16 PM

He usually doesn't start moroning until the playoffs. They won 63 games in 2006.

Cessation
04-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Since dice got into the starting five, spurs have played much worse.

SA210
04-22-2011, 09:54 PM
He usually doesn't start moroning until the playoffs. They won 63 games in 2006.