PDA

View Full Version : Piston Fan Observations

Pistonfan#1
06-07-2005, 12:56 PM
WOW!! What a great series this should be. The matchups are great. Its going to be fun watching Rip and Manu running around like crazy and Duncan and Sheed battling in the paint. Althought, I think the Piston have the Advantage in the series. A lot of the analyst are saying the Spurs have the better bench but they forgot to mention the Pistons have great defense off their bench. And most likely the Spurs arent going to get a lot of points from Barry or Nestaravich. Another question I have is how Tony Parker can do anything against Chauncey Billups. Chauncey is alot stonger. Billups is going to be posting him up all night. Granted Tony Parker is faster, but not by much. Plus, even if Parker was to slip by Chauncey once or twice the Pistons big men will be there waiting for him. Ready to slap a weak floater into the seats. I just dont see TP making a big enough contribution for the Spurs to win the series. Also, who will Bowen gaurd? Rip or Tayshaun?

1Parker1
06-07-2005, 01:08 PM
"Granted Tony Parker is faster, but not by much."

Have you seen Tony Parker on a break? :rolleyes

mavsfan1000
06-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Spurs will run all day against the Pistons. The pistons have to score the hard way in the half court without turnovers. :lol

Pistons < Spurs
06-07-2005, 01:11 PM
"Granted Tony Parker is faster, but not by much."

Have you seen Tony Parker on a break? :rolleyesAGREED.

Isn't Parker the "fastest player in the league"? He WILL blow past Billups many many times.

But as mentioned, we do have the big boys back guarding the basket. If Tony is smart he'll start early cuttin to the hole, then start kickin after penetrating just like A.I. was doing to us.

HULKAROCK
06-07-2005, 01:14 PM
It's our crown. The Spurs have to take it from us..
Impossible? No. Improbable? Yes. :fro

1Parker1
06-07-2005, 01:14 PM
AGREED.

Isn't Parker the "fastest player in the league"? He WILL blow past Billups many many times.

But as mentioned, we do have the big boys back guarding the basket. If Tony is smart he'll start early cuttin to the hole, then start kickin after penetrating just like A.I. was doing to us.

Exactly. He can dominate the 1st quarter and get the Spurs a big lead. Then he should think about being a distributor.

Dex
06-07-2005, 01:16 PM

:tu

Tony usually isn't turned off by the skill of the opposing gaurd. He's burned gaurds that are 'better' than him time and time again.

When the opponent clogs the paint, has long defenders in the frontcourt, and plays good help defense, Tony struggles significantly.

Detroit can do all of these things if they get set up on defense. Which is why I think Tony's best bet will be to get out on the break and take advantage of the transition game. If the quick points aren't there, then he needs to look to initiate our more reliable halfcourt options, because that jumper is liable to get even more streaky with Billups putting a hand in Tony's face.

SouthernFried
06-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Tony simply HAS to play smart and good. Yes, he can get by Billups...yes, DT has some big men to back Chauncy up. The question is...will Parker try the teardrop, or pass to Dunkin or Nazr if the big men come to him. Tony is not the best assist PG in the league...he's gonna need to learn it.

Billups will be able to post up Tony. But, like the big men coming to Billups aid, the Spurs big men are good at that too, and will come to Tony's aid.

This matchup is the one to watch. It could go either way. I hate having to rely on Tony...his inconsistency is scary. But, this is the time...and the series for him to prove to critics (like me), that he is a champion.

We shall see...

Pistons < Spurs
06-07-2005, 01:22 PM
This matchup is the one to watch.

I totally agree.Parker can really dictate how well you al play against us. I used to think he was a little streaky, but have been pretty impressed w/ him lately.

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 01:29 PM
WOW!! What a great series this should be. The matchups are great. Its going to be fun watching Rip and Manu running around like crazy and Duncan and Sheed battling in the paint. Althought, I think the Piston have the Advantage in the series. A lot of the analyst are saying the Spurs have the better bench but they forgot to mention the Pistons have great defense off their bench. And most likely the Spurs arent going to get a lot of points from Barry or Nestaravich. Another question I have is how Tony Parker can do anything against Chauncey Billups. Chauncey is alot stonger. Billups is going to be posting him up all night. Granted Tony Parker is faster, but not by much. Plus, even if Parker was to slip by Chauncey once or twice the Pistons big men will be there waiting for him. Ready to slap a weak floater into the seats. I just dont see TP making a big enough contribution for the Spurs to win the series. Also, who will Bowen gaurd? Rip or Tayshaun?

Get it correct. It's Nesterobitch.

easjer
06-07-2005, 01:59 PM

Both teams have great D, even coming off the bench. The Spurs bench is deeper, and that will have a big impact. Further, the Spurs offense is better - more variety and depth and also much more consistent than Detriot. I think that will be the crucial factor - both teams use defense to create offensive opportunities, but SA doesn't have to rely on those opportunities nearly as much as Detriot.

Billips will give Parker some trouble, but Tony is faster, and if we push the tempo, it will create more transition opportunities for him. Nazr and Tim will help to create pressure in the paint, and draw the big men out, opening space for Manu and Tony.

I think there may be a rotation on Rip of Bowen and Manu, but I think Bruce will probably stay on Prince more.

I think the advantage goes to SA, because of the inconsistency of Detriot's offense, and their unusual streak of passivity and lackluster performances thus far in the play offs.