PDA

View Full Version : thanks Bruce Bowen

ivanfromwestwood
04-21-2011, 01:12 AM
You are the biggest unsung hero in the history of sports. Spurs defensive died the day we traded you. You are the reason for 3 of our titles and I want you to know evertime we get scored on, I think of you.

R.I.P. (retire in peace)

toki9
04-21-2011, 01:15 AM
You are the biggest unsung hero in the history of sports. Spurs defensive died the day we traded you. You are the reason for 3 of our titles and I want you to know evertime we get scored on, I think of you.

R.I.P. (retire in peace)

But please stop with the bow tie...

Sean Cagney
04-21-2011, 01:17 AM
He played a big role, but the reason we won three? Not Tim? NOT MANU? NOT TONY OR HORRY! Come on man, he was a huge key but to discount others there come on now man, they were the team! Bowen was huge there, but they all were huge, they were a hot damn unit!

ivanfromwestwood
04-21-2011, 01:29 AM
We put Bruce on whoever was hot on the other team. Didn't matter if it was Nash or Dirk. 6ft or 7ft and he always did a good job. I think he was our defense along with Duncan. I bet he could come back and still be productive. Do it RC!

howbouthemspurs
04-21-2011, 01:35 AM
Without Bowen's amazing hall of fame defense on the perimeter players, the Spurs would only have 1 championship. The Defense started with Bowen and it ended with Duncan on every play.

Sean Cagney
04-21-2011, 01:37 AM
Remember Bowen switch to Billups in 05 and basically win that there on that alone! That alone won that title IMO sides Horry's shot! Bowen on whoever was key in alot of series, yes without him we get less titles, period.

SA210
04-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Without Bowen's amazing hall of fame defense on the perimeter players, the Spurs would only have 1 championship. The Defense started with Bowen and it ended with Duncan on every play.

Manu was a huge part of the playmaking that got us the Championships, but I agree, Bowen is the reason when it came to being that defensive stopping team.

I miss Bruce, Pop f'ed him over and he could still defend better than anyone in on our team right now.

SA210
04-21-2011, 01:54 PM

R.I.P. (retire in peace)

:toast:depressed

Fpoonsie
04-21-2011, 01:57 PM
I remember my "Bowen 12" rubber wristband broke the day we traded him.

I hadn't taken that thing off in years. It was...eerily fitting, yet completely devastating.

Holden_Caulfield
04-21-2011, 02:01 PM
i miss defense.

LongtimeSpursFan
04-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Spurs made the move for Bowen to help counter Kobe. Now that Kobe is on the decline we have no need for a great lockdown perimeter defender.

DieHardSpursFan1537
04-21-2011, 04:09 PM
At least we can still watch him on ESPN still as an analyst.

mingus
04-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Spurs made the move for Bowen to help counter Kobe. Now that Kobe is on the decline we have no need for a great lockdown perimeter defender.

Yeah cuz there aren't any good perimiter scorers that can hurt the Spurs now.

Obstructed_View
04-21-2011, 04:22 PM
I think there was an understood blue in LTSF's post.

Juanobili
04-21-2011, 05:15 PM
man I fucking miss that guy :(

Calispursfan11
04-21-2011, 05:16 PM
you are the biggest unsung hero in the history of sports. Spurs defensive died the day we traded you. You are the reason for 3 of our titles and i want you to know evertime we get scored on, i think of you.

R.i.p. (retire in peace)

like!

Cessation
04-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Bowen was definetly underrated, never got DPOY is a travesty.

honestfool84
04-21-2011, 08:14 PM
this thread is two years old. :tu good job.

Creation88
04-21-2011, 09:49 PM
we didnt have a big 3 but a big 4. Bowen should have won MVP in the '07 Finals for shutting down Lebron. needs his jersey retired.

ManuBalboa
04-21-2011, 10:09 PM
Far more deserving of being in the rafters than #6. Thanks for the D Bruce. Spurs basketball is dead now.

stnick2261
04-21-2011, 11:18 PM
I completely agree with the OP, except the defense was the dead in Bowen's final year as well (as much as it pained me to watch)...

... in '05, when everyone argued who the finals MVP should be, I said it should have been Bowen because he was the only guy who played consistently for every game (everyone else had good and bad games)

ivanfromwestwood
04-22-2011, 02:04 AM
Didn't he get benched in his final year so that Fin could start? Lmao.

Hey Bruce. If you lurk and read this, I would also like you to know I think you are a true example of self dicipline. You are a perfect example of what you can do if you put your mind to it :toast

dunkman
04-22-2011, 02:49 AM
In his first season with the Spurs he missed some games, and the Spurs had awful record without him. He never missed a game after that, so it wasn't clear how important was Bowen for the Spurs success.

After 99, Bowen was a huge reason why the Spurs have won championships, he was as important as Manu or Parker. However, I think that the Spurs still can win championships with better offense and somewhat less defense.

The Spurs FO is too slow to find an all-defensive SG/SF swing to replace Bowen, before Splitter the Spurs struggled to find an all-defensive or all-star big to complement Duncan, and are too slow to find an SF/PF 6'10" tweener for the bench. With RJ, the Spurs sacrificed defense by design, that was to be compensated with RJ's offense and because of his efficiency, the Spurs should make some additional plays for him.

Pop isn't Riley when it comes to developing all-defensive players. I guess that Bowen could help as assistant coach. Duncan was already an excellent player as rookie, so I don't think Pop developed him.

BruceBowenFan
04-22-2011, 02:52 AM
I still wear my Bowen jersey on game days.

realtimmyfan
04-22-2011, 07:12 AM
Now we need a defensive big.

Cane
04-22-2011, 10:42 AM
I completely agree with the OP, except the defense was the dead in Bowen's final year as well (as much as it pained me to watch)...

True that. At least Bowen was able to pass down some lessons to George Hill.