PDA

View Full Version : More unbiased reporting.

2centsworth
06-07-2005, 12:59 PM
Recent headline I got from Yahoo.

"World military spending nears Cold War peak (s/242850)"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050607/ts_nm/arms_spending_dc

Two questions:

1. What message is the headline trying to convey?

2. What emotions does the article appeal to?

Ponder this quote from the article before you answer "The major determinant of the world trend in military expenditure is the change in the United States."
Now consider that a .99 cent can of campbell soup cost .30 cents back then, and that a $26,000 Ford Mustang Cost $7000 back then and you can see that inflation adjusted the world is spending less than 1/3 of what they spent at the height of the cold war.

Guess this headline wasn't sexy enough "World military spending nears a third of cold war peak"

mookie2001
06-07-2005, 01:00 PM
Now consider that a .99 cent can of campbell soup cost .30 cents back then, and that a $26,000 Ford Mustang Cost $7000 back then and you can see that inflation adjusted the world is spending less than 1/3 of what they spent at the height of the cold war.

when is back then? then reagan admin?

2centsworth
06-07-2005, 01:07 PM
when is back then? then reagan admin?
article says '87

mookie2001
06-07-2005, 01:12 PM
i was thinking a mustang didnt cost 7K in 87
i could be wrong though

2centsworth
06-07-2005, 01:16 PM
i was thinking a mustang didnt cost 7K in 87
i could be wrong though

i only have data as of '82 and a mustang was below 5k so i work in an increase maybe the mustang was more like 9k but certainly not close to what it is today.

Ocotillo
06-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Might the more telling stat be that currently spending is at 3.9 GDP whereas at the cold war peak it was at 6.0 of GDP.

Speaking of bias, anyone hear a peep out of the network newsies about the Downing Street Memo?

The Ressurrected One
06-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Might the more telling stat be that currently spending is at 3.9 GDP whereas at the cold war peak it was at 6.0 of GDP.
Good call.

Speaking of bias, anyone hear a peep out of the network newsies about the Downing Street Memo?
And, John Kerry was going to start suggesting impeachment hearings on Monday -- what happened?

NeoConIV
06-07-2005, 04:22 PM
The AP/Reuters Headline is one of the last bullets the MSM media has. Hope they enjoy it while it lasts.

Saw one from AP yesterday...:"US confirms: Urine sprayed on Quran"

It was almost breathless in it's delivery. The only things missing were the exclamation points, and the subtitle, "See, you asshole right wingers, there WAS Quran abuse! GOTCHA!!"

I mean, it's so pathetic.

Bandit2981
06-07-2005, 06:42 PM
I mean, it's so pathetic
What is? The fact that urine was sprayed on the Quran, or the fact that the media had the gall to report it actually happened? :rolleyes

mookie2001
06-07-2005, 06:44 PM
What is? The fact that urine was sprayed on the Quran, or the fact that the media had the gall to report it actually happened? :rolleyes

thank you, someone with some sense
its like if the media ever reports on anything that any conservative might think is bad, theyre liberal, biased and unamerican

Clandestino
06-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Koran Abuse??? give me a fucking break!!! those motherfuckers have it better in gitmo then they did fighting living in shitty foxholes with nothing to eat and i'm sure no clean korans.

2centsworth
06-07-2005, 08:46 PM
thank you, someone with some sense
its like if the media ever reports on anything that any conservative might think is bad, theyre liberal, biased and unamerican
I gave you a perfect example of bias, don't get distracted.

Spurminator
06-07-2005, 11:26 PM
What is? The fact that urine was sprayed on the Quran, or the fact that the media had the gall to report it actually happened?

How about both?

I shat on a Torah today. Somebody call Reuters.

mookie2001
06-07-2005, 11:42 PM
How about both?

I shat on a Torah today. Somebody call Reuters.

that might offend some

1 god brother

scott
06-07-2005, 11:52 PM
Yes, the media is baised against Bush... but really, can you blame them?

scott
06-07-2005, 11:53 PM
This would also be a good time for me to point out that Bush is just Warren Harding for the dense.

2centsworth
06-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Yes, the media is baised against Bush... but really, can you blame them?

Bush is a disaster even in conservative circles, so It's easy to find fault with Bush. I just hate the fantasy, lies, and bullshit the media produces. Stick to the facts and Bush looks bad.

WTF does trying to make the comparison between today and the cold war have to do with anything? Especially when the lies in the comparison are laughable at best.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-08-2005, 10:31 AM
The second the media mentions anything conservative, people think they're being righteous and normal (like the zombie of terry shiavo)

but when they are being non-conservative people's chodes explode because they think the media are going off the deep end.

www.infowars.com

Spurminator
06-08-2005, 11:16 AM
What the fuck does pissing on a Quran have to do with Conservatism or Liberalism?

mookie2001
06-08-2005, 12:11 PM
What the fuck does pissing on a Quran have to do with Conservatism or Liberalism?
the name of the thread.
and that generally conservatives think the story is made up by the liberal media to hurt bush.

2centsworth
06-08-2005, 12:31 PM
the name of the thread.
and that generally conservatives think the story is made up by the liberal media to hurt bush.

ignore the first story.

NEOCON- you don't do anyone any favors by thinking everything that hurts bush is biased. Sometimes it's just reporting.

However, you won't see too many stories on how the Muslims are overreacting. If it was a bible being pissed on and christians reacting the same you would see stories about the second coming of the crusades.

Spurminator
06-08-2005, 01:33 PM
the name of the thread.

"Bias" is not necessarily Conservative or Liberal. Bias can also be pro-war or anti-war, and those positions don't necessarily follow ideological lines.

mookie2001
06-08-2005, 03:09 PM
"Bias" is not necessarily Conservative or Liberal. Bias can also be pro-war or anti-war, and those positions don't necessarily follow ideological lines.

no shit

but an antiwar postion is GENERALLY considered "liberal"

Nbadan
06-09-2005, 01:40 AM
It could also just be that this writer is an idiot.

:hat

...but then again, the Bush administration didn't include additional war cost in either of its last two yearly published budgets. If we add an additional $200 billion in unbudgeted bi-yearly war cost, the writer may be closer right, especially when you figure in the current attriation in experienced US combat troop levels (it cost a lot to recruit and train and retain troops) and the deterioration of tanks, armoured vehicles, helicopters, plance, etc because of the harsh climate in the ME. It costs a lot to keep a war machine going.