PDA

View Full Version : in some ways, i found game 2 more disconcerting than game 1

K-State Spur
04-21-2011, 08:47 AM
game 1 really didn't bother me that much (outside of it being a loss). spurs didn't have manu & the Grizz 3 point shooting and front line played amazingly efficient basketball that is unlikely to be repeated (at least to that level) again in this series. even with that being the case, it took a minor choke job in the final minute - otherwise the spurs win.

but, in game 2, our guys basically neutralized gasol/z-bo. we got adequate (if not spectacular) offensive games out of most of the roster, save for the turnovers. yet, memphis was still within 2 points in the final 10 seconds.

i still have little doubt that the spurs will win in 6 or less - but if you removed the end results, game 2 would be more worrisome than game 1...IMHO.

kidd_91
04-21-2011, 09:21 AM
I know what you mean, I got the feeling like we were the young team, going into crazy spurts to rally and take leads. But then there was Memphis, calmly getting shots and coming right back. Only on a few possessions did I feel they were rattled. Let's hope the pressure of playing at home with way higher expectations can get to Memphis or it's going to be a long series. A series I feel we are way capable of winning, i just hate to see the guys have to use so much energy.

Russ
04-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Winning close playoff games is more impressive (and impactful) than winning easily.

This was exactly the kind of win the Spurs needed.

nkdlunch
04-21-2011, 09:25 AM
imagine how lakerfan feels

antgomez2009
04-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Turn Overs!! 18 from the Spurs squad, resulting in more shots for the Grizz!!! Limit that, as well as Bonner and Blair needing to produce just a tad bit more 33min between the two, for 5pts/9Rebs/3ast is not even their season avgs. Bottom line, some of the other role players need to step it up!!!! D is ok, they can pick up the intensity, but FreeThrow % needs to get better!!!!!!!!

Gordon Hayward
04-21-2011, 09:33 AM

Really?

tmtcsc
04-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Free Throws missed by Spurs made this a closer game.

alchemist
04-21-2011, 09:56 AM
so far I've seen the Grizz make their jumpers, contested or not. That's huge. Hopefully they start missing some of those.

Dex
04-21-2011, 10:03 AM
so far I've seen the Grizz make their jumpers, contested or not. That's huge. Hopefully they start missing some of those.

If they keep making their jumpers like that all series long, you "tip your hat to them", I guess.

Last night we saw the Spurs at near full strength (albeit Ginobili at, perhaps, 75%) and the Grizzlies were still able to hang close. Why? Because they have an inside presence that they can reliably go to. Couple that with a little shot making, and they become a very scary team.

Last night's game was a perfect example for people who think this is going to be an easy series. Even I wasn't sold on the Griz at first, but after Game 1 and Game 2....these guys are dangerous, and they are playing at a very high level right now.

boutons_deux
04-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Yep, disconcerted is how I feel about Game 3,4.

I think Spurs will be lucky to get a split in MEM.

boutons_deux
04-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Yep, disconcerted is how I feel about Game 3,4.

I think Spurs will be lucky to get a split in MEM.

K-State Spur
04-21-2011, 01:11 PM
If they keep making their jumpers like that all series long, you "tip your hat to them", I guess.

Last night we saw the Spurs at near full strength (albeit Ginobili at, perhaps, 75%) and the Grizzlies were still able to hang close. Why? Because they have an inside presence that they can reliably go to. Couple that with a little shot making, and they become a very scary team.

Last night's game was a perfect example for people who think this is going to be an easy series. Even I wasn't sold on the Griz at first, but after Game 1 and Game 2....these guys are dangerous, and they are playing at a very high level right now.

their inside presence was a liability last night (for the most part). it was their penetration that was causing us fits.

DesignatedT
04-21-2011, 01:15 PM
If Manu plays game 1 we are up 2-0 right now. They will be tougher in Memphis though.

Rebounds
04-21-2011, 01:55 PM
IMO Spurs were out of rhythm both games, until some stretches early 3rd. Tony's J is MIA. he was the ball handler missing key shots while Manu was out. Again, I think overall the team was out of rhythm and will become more efficient as they get more playing time in the coming weeks.

Proxy
04-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Like someone said before, turnovers killed us... we took bad shots... Parker is not himself on offense... there's much room for improvement.

Obstructed_View
04-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Can't remember if I posted this or not, but Parker is dangerously close to being in a shooting slump. I like every other part of his game. He's sharing the ball well, but as I've said elsewhere, he needs to find Bonner in the corner when he's open. Parker's poised for a 25/10 game without really changing anything if he can get his shooting touch back.

Cessation
04-21-2011, 02:54 PM
You overreacting, Memphis just getting lucky circumstance. They are super confident and playing above their mean. In regular season they faced understrength spurs teams. First game no manu, second game, a rusty manu coming of injury. Now that they lost, they won't be as confident, they will feel the pressure of a must win in game 3. I see the grizz, getting back to reality the longer the series goes.

spursince#99
04-21-2011, 03:09 PM
as hard as it was to get a win at home i really think we'll steal 1 in memphis by a large margin...and as someone already stated the longer the series go, the normal the grizz will become...and if manu plays game 1 then we're up 2-0...

Obstructed_View
04-21-2011, 04:08 PM
You overreacting, Memphis just getting lucky circumstance. They are super confident and playing above their mean. In regular season they faced understrength spurs teams. First game no manu, second game, a rusty manu coming of injury. Now that they lost, they won't be as confident, they will feel the pressure of a must win in game 3. I see the grizz, getting back to reality the longer the series goes.

You should look at how the Grizzlies finished the last 40 or so games of the season, as well as the teams that played better than they did. The Spurs underestimate this team at their peril.

ohmwrecker
04-21-2011, 04:12 PM
I don't think the Spurs underestimate the Grizzlies at all.

Obstructed_View
04-21-2011, 04:18 PM
I don't think the Spurs underestimate the Grizzlies at all.

I don't think so either, which is the only reason they aren't down 0-2. The Grizz are a fucking good team.

Cessation
04-21-2011, 06:46 PM
You should look at how the Grizzlies finished the last 40 or so games of the season, as well as the teams that played better than they did. The Spurs underestimate this team at their peril.

Considering how grizz played the first two games, according to your assessment, they'll beat the spurs at home 2-0. Since, clearly I'm underestimating the grizz, and you have the realistic take. Am I right?

rmt
04-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Winning close playoff games is more impressive (and impactful) than winning easily.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not into moral victories. I just want to advance with the least amount of wear and tear on the Spurs so that they can save their good stuff for the contenders.

Manu had a great game and the rest of the team played relatively well except for Parker and yet it was so close. Not a good sign especially since OKC is looking good, might sweep and will probably be well rested - like they need rest as they're all so young. After Saturday, there'll only be one day's rest between each game. Spurs need to put them ASAP - hopefully in 5.

C'mon TP.

NewJerSpur
04-21-2011, 07:18 PM
If it takes Darrell Arthur and Sam Young to keep the Grizz in the game, I like our chances. As long as our bigs are allowed to be physical and the refs don't fall for Z-bo barreling into the defenders chest as a foul the gameplan should hold up going to Memphis.

TD 21
04-21-2011, 08:05 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not into moral victories. I just want to advance with the least amount of wear and tear on the Spurs so that they can save their good stuff for the contenders.

Manu had a great game and the rest of the team played relatively well except for Parker and yet it was so close. Not a good sign especially since OKC is looking good, might sweep and will probably be well rested - like they need rest as they're all so young. After Saturday, there'll only be one day's rest between each game. Spurs need to put them ASAP - hopefully in 5.

C'mon TP.

That's why Pop needs to treat game three as if it were a must win game (that means playing whoever however many minutes it takes and not worrying about managing minutes). That and if the Spurs can take game three, they'll have taken the Grizzlies confidence down a peg. They'll begin to wonder if their chance of winning this series slipped through their fingers and they'll face a must win in game four. Let's see how some their playoff neophytes respond in that situation.

Cessation
04-21-2011, 08:08 PM
That's why Pop needs to treat game two as if it were a must win game (that means playing whoever however many minutes it takes and not worrying about managing minutes). That and if the Spurs can take game three, they'll have taken the Grizzlies confidence down a peg. They'll begin to wonder if their chance of winning this series slipped through their fingers and they'll face a must win in game four. Let's see how some their playoff neophytes respond to that situation.

I agree, before game 2 grizz were riding a 3 game win streak against the spurs. Pop needs to look at game 3 as a must win, it's like a 2 for 1, giving the edge to the spurs if they can win it. No doubt, if grizz lose 2 in a row, their play will come down a notch. Game 5 doesn't even matter, since its a given spurs will close it out on their home floor.

ChuckD
04-21-2011, 08:15 PM
The Spurs had one of the WORST officiated games in memory, missed a ton of FTs, had Parker MIA, and won by 8.

I like our chances.

Oh, and every game that MEM won this year was with one of the Big Three out. WITH the Big Three, we are 3-0 against MEM this year.

itzsoweezee
04-21-2011, 08:36 PM
No way. Spurs played amazing defense; completely shut down the Grizzlies strength. Manu also uncharacteristically missed a bunch of free throws.

Other than the turnovers, I was pretty pleased overall.

Obstructed_View
04-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Considering how grizz played the first two games, according to your assessment, they'll beat the spurs at home 2-0. Since, clearly I'm underestimating the grizz, and you have the realistic take. Am I right?

My assessment didn't apply to the first two games, yours did. I was basing how good they are on how they played during the season. They played as well as any of the elite teams in the league after their 12-13 start. You ignored that to suggest that they're somehow playing way above their heads so far in this series. They aren't, and that's the realistic take. There's not anything they've done in the first two games that's outrageously lucky. The Grizzlies are probably seeing all the missed opportunities to win game 2.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-21-2011, 10:06 PM
My assessment didn't apply to the first two games, yours did. I was basing how good they are on how they played during the season. They played as well as any of the elite teams in the league after their 12-13 start. You ignored that to suggest that they're somehow playing way above their heads so far in this series. They aren't, and that's the realistic take. There's not anything they've done in the first two games that's outrageously lucky. The Grizzlies are probably seeing all the missed opportunities to win game 2.

Who do you think will win this series?

igruex
04-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Tell me how is Manu's elbow and I'll answer your question. :(

Game 3 has to be Parker's efficient game.

Obstructed_View
04-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Who do you think will win this series?

I don't really have a clue. But I can say with confidence that the Spurs control their own destiny. They're making the games too close by not getting the ball to their three point shooters, not blocking out or defending worth a crap inside (Dice), not taking care of the ball and not shooting or rebounding well. They shore up a couple of those things and they win it in five. But the Grizzlies are a damn talented team, and proably better than any 8 seed in a while and they're not just going to give up. They have good inside play, good slashers, two of the best individual perimeter defenders in the league, and great team defense.

Cessation
04-21-2011, 11:03 PM

During the season Memphis went 17-24 against teams above .500, you'd think a team playing at an elite level, would have a positive record against "other" good teams.

Grizz are 3-3 against the spurs this year, including the playoffs. In the wins spurs were missing one of the big three, and grizz shot 55%. In the losses the spurs big three were healthy, memphis shot 40%. You'd think a team playing at an elite level, and would be able to beat the spurs when their healthy, at least once.

ChuckD
04-21-2011, 11:20 PM
I don't really have a clue. But I can say with confidence that the Spurs control their own destiny. They're making the games too close by not getting the ball to their three point shooters, not blocking out or defending worth a crap inside (Dice), not taking care of the ball and not shooting or rebounding well. They shore up a couple of those things and they win it in five. But the Grizzlies are a damn talented team, and proably better than any 8 seed in a while and they're not just going to give up. They have good inside play, good slashers, two of the best individual perimeter defenders in the league, and great team defense.

The reason the threes aren't flying is because MEM is playing that same damn hedge defense the Lakers threw at us. Their big doesn't show on the P'n'R, conceding the mid-range jump shot that we do NOT want, but denying the rim, and allowing the outside defenders to NOT help off of our shooters.

Obstructed_View
04-22-2011, 12:01 AM
The reason the threes aren't flying is because MEM is playing that same damn hedge defense the Lakers threw at us. Their big doesn't show on the P'n'R, conceding the mid-range jump shot that we do NOT want, but denying the rim, and allowing the outside defenders to NOT help off of our shooters.

Gotta disagree. I don't know about game one, but in game two, the Grizzlies showed almost every single time*. The Spurs never made the crosscourt pass to the corner, but it was open a lot when the defender sagged into the paint. I think the Spurs were simply too excited that Manu was back and fixated on penetrating.

That Laker defense doesn't work well on the Spurs when they're aggressive because Manu and Parker see a one on one with a center as a mismatch and go right to the rim trying to draw a foul.

* I say almost because there might have been one time that I didn't see. The Lakers run that because Bynum is so immobile out in space and they're better off having him stand there like an oak tree.