PDA

View Full Version : Jerk Athletes and "Good Guys" you've met before.

DeadlyDynasty
04-21-2011, 05:36 PM
What athletes have you guys met before, and what was your perception of them afterwards?

Just off the top of my head, biggest assholes I've met:

Hanley Ramirez
Dan Marino - big douche, was kind of surprised but others warned me he was like that.
Tim Hardaway
Gary Sheffield
Bill Parcells (not a player, but the ultimate asshole).
Andre Reed

Good guys:

Cal Ripken Jr
Tony Gwynn - nicest (former) athlete you'll ever meet, imho
Jeff Conine
Zo (he was surprisingly cool...I thought Tim would be cool and Zo would be a dick but it was vice-versa).
Jim Kelly
Darryl Talley
Carlos Boozer (unexpected).
Chad Pennington
Caron Butler - met him in line at a Burger King in Coconut Grove, back when he played for the Heat :rollin

I'm forgetting a bunch...

Quadzilla99
04-21-2011, 05:39 PM
I had like the coolest experience ever when I met Phil Simms, of course my friend said he was a complete asshole when he tried to get an autograph for his kid from him. Simms was eating dinner with his family at the time but still... I guess a lot of it depends on the mood they're in when you talk to them.

benefactor
04-21-2011, 05:40 PM
BB will weigh in on this thread. He's met a bunch of them IIRC.

Quadzilla99
04-21-2011, 05:41 PM
I just said hello to Simms and asked him his opinion on the game (Giants vs. Eagles) a few years ago, and we ended up talking for like a good 5-10 minutes.

DMC
04-21-2011, 05:41 PM
http://blog.brand-yourself.com/wp-content/uploads/Name_Dropping.jpg

cobbler
04-21-2011, 05:45 PM
I have met quite a few over the decades... by far, and not even close as far as 'good guys" go,was suprisingly Bad Boy Marty McSorley. By that I mean he is just a down to earth approachable nice guy that would spend hours with a fan simply talking family as if you were part of his.

DeadlyDynasty
04-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Forgot a couple major ones:

A-Rod on 2 occasions - back when he was playing HS ball at Westminster...he was cool, had some personality. Met him another time on the sidelines of the 2000 Orange Bowl (the FSU-Oklahoma debacle of a game)...he wasn't an asshole, but he was vacant, personality-wise. Tiger Woods was the same (met him during that game as well).

I saw OJ Simpson regularly at either Dave and Busters in the Dolphin Mall, or at Corbett's Bar in Kendall. He was a pretty nice guy for a double murderer :lol

TacoCabanaFajitas
04-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Met Shaq back in 2003 when the Lakers and Spurs played in the WCF, the night Timmy got his MVP. Was like 2 a.m and was at IHop with some family visiting from Missouri, all of a sudden Shaqs big ass walks in and chunks the deuce to us (wearing our Spurs gear). We asked the waitress if she could ask him to take a picture after he was done eating with his friends from Cole HS (apparently they all get together when he comes back into town) he was surprisingly nice considering they had just lost a big game and we were a bunch of Spurs fans. Took pics, signed a newspaper, great guy. Hard for me to badmouth him since he was so damn cool

cobbler
04-21-2011, 05:48 PM
I had like the coolest experience ever when I met Phil Simms, of course my friend said he was a complete asshole when he tried to get an autograph for his kid from him. Simms was eating dinner with his family at the time but still... I guess a lot of it depends on the mood they're in when you talk to them.

It would get so old to be pestered at every moment. Dinner with family would be one of those situations when fans should show some restraint. But on the flip side, you only get the opportunity here and there so it's a double edged sword.

DeadlyDynasty
04-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Met Shaq back in 2003 when the Lakers and Spurs played in the WCSF, the night Timmy got his MVP. Was like 2 a.m and was at IHop with some family visiting from Missouri, all of a sudden Shaqs big ass walks in and chunks the deuce to us (wearing our Spurs gear). We asked the waitress if she could ask him to take a picture after he was done eating with his friends from Cole HS (apparently they all get together when he comes back into town) he was surprisingly nice considering they had just lost a big game and we were a bunch of Spurs fans. Took pics, signed a newspaper, great guy. Hard for me to badmouth him since he was so damn cool

fify

Axe Murderer
04-21-2011, 06:01 PM
What athletes have you guys met before, and what was your perception of them afterwards?

Hanley Ramirez
Dan Marino - big douche, was kind of surprised but others warned me he was like that.
Tim Hardaway
Gary Sheffield
Andre Reed

Good guys:

Cal Ripken Jr
Jeff Conine
Zo (he was surprisingly cool...I thought Tim would be cool and Zo would be a dick but it was vice-versa).
Jim Kelly
Darryl Talley
Chad Pennington
Caron Butler - met him in line at a Burger King in Coconut Grove, back when he played for the Heat :rollin

wtf? where did you meet all these guys?

I've never actually met a professional athlete (not a lot of them in Lubbock crofl), gotten a lot of autographs from old Texas Rangers but that's about it.

ElNono
04-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Manu > good >>>> class

ElNono
04-21-2011, 06:04 PM
I have to say the Red Rocket was a nice guy too... unsurprisingly...

Axe Murderer
04-21-2011, 06:05 PM
tbh, I guess the only one I could say is Michael Crabtree when he went to Tech.

Gigantic cocky asshole :lol

resistanze
04-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Mugsy Bogues was cool as hell.

lefty
04-21-2011, 06:12 PM
I have met quite a few over the decades... by far, and not even close as far as 'good guys" go,was suprisingly Bad Boy Marty McSorley. By that I mean he is just a down to earth approachable nice guy that would spend hours with a fan simply talking family as if you were part of his.

God bless McSorley and his illegal stick

ChrisRichards
04-21-2011, 06:15 PM
I only met a few here in DC.

Terrell Davis- Really cool guy. I was working at a Sports Bar when he walked in. No one knew him and this was a year after he won Super Bowl MVP :lol. I ran to a local newstand while their food is being prepped and looked for anything with his image on it and luckily they had Beckett Issue where he was edorsing a trading card on the back of the issue. Dude signed it and even wrote "To Chris, Keep Supporting the Broncos. Terrell Davis" and he even put a smiley face on it, no BS :lol

Kwame Brown- Saw him at a local TGIF in Arlington VA, he was a week away from being traded to the Lakers for Caron Butler. I think he was with his agent. Again, no one was paying attention to him, but he looked like a nice guy.

Brendan Haywood- A real asshole. He has this air of sense of entitlement when I saw him at Toys R Us. I think he bought PS2 or something.

Bobby Simmons-Saw the guy at a local bar. He was with a guy (probably his agent) and a white chick (early 40's. A Milf). Cool guy, he was smiling and nodding at everyone. Funny thing is no one porbably really knows him lol.

LaVar Arrington- Wicked cool. Me and my friends saw him at a local Restaurant, as he was passing by our table my friend hollered and Lavar stopped and chatted for a while. Before he left us, he told our server that he was going to pick up our tab ($45 lol).

Shawn Bradley- Tall, White and an Asshole. Saw him with his wife and their kid at a Marriott Hotel.

21_Blessings
04-21-2011, 06:17 PM
I caddied for Ryan Leaf a long time ago. Even a bigger douche than advertised.

AC Green is the coolest dude ever. Don't buy the virgin shtick though. I'm positive he was banging the hell out a couple bored housewives from the gym.

LnGrrrR
04-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Charlie Weis was a huge f'ing douchebag when I met him while deployed. He was there with some other college coaches as a "See the troops" type of tour, and while I was waiting in line he was grumbling about how late it was. (It was roughly 2200 hrs.)

Then when I thanked him for the Pats SB wins and what he'd done to help, he kinda blew it off. I guess he wanted me to start sucking his popsicle over Notre Dame.

Axe Murderer
04-21-2011, 06:19 PM
LaVar Arrington- Wicked cool. Me and my friends saw him at a local Restaurant, as he was passing by our table my friend hollered and Lavar stopped and chatted for a while. Before he left us, he told our server that he was going to pick up our tab ($45 lol).

:lol that's badass

DeadlyDynasty
wtf? where did you meet all these guys?

I've never actually met a professional athlete (not a lot of them in Lubbock crofl), gotten a lot of autographs from old Texas Rangers but that's about it.

Really?:lol

Hanley - met at Mansion (club) on South Beach. Prick.
Zo, Timmy, and Marino - Zo's Summer Groove, years ago
Ripken and Gwynn - HOF inductions in 07 (covered it as a stringer for a local newspaper).
Sheffield and Conine - We (me and my brother) met when we were kids at Joe Robbie Stadium...it was a meet-and-greet for a few thousand fans before a home game. Jeff was cool, Gary got pissed cause we took more than one picture:lol
Reed and Talley - met them (as well as many others) along the edge of the front-row during pregame warm-ups in a Bills-Dolphins game years ago. Talley was a personal favorite (spiderman!), but Reed was very standoffish and refused autographs. I was a little kid so I took that as a slight.
Kelly - met him on the sidelines of a Canes game in 2002.

Boozer - met through a mutual friend during a party, the one I told you I was ghost-writing an AB for.

Pennington - pregame warmups, Bills-Dolphins game (2008)

LnGrrrR

It's rude to try and get an autograph while someone is out eating dinner with their family. Not surprised he got chewed out.

ginobili's bald spot
04-21-2011, 06:22 PM

Most hockey players are cool as shit. I met McSorley, Jari Kurri, Luc Robitaille and a bunch of other Kings back in the day and they were all super nice.

Orel Hershiser on the other hand is a prick. And he's a shit poker player.

The Gemini Method
04-21-2011, 06:23 PM
I didn't meet him, but I saw Brian Westbrook of Philly Eagles fame dropping $500 dollar bets on the tables in the Venetian.

I have met Shaun White and he is as goofy and laid back as he is on T.V. really nice guy. Someone mistakened him for Carrot Top as he was talking to us.

Since I was part of the skate scene in the 90's, I've met Eric Koston, Tony Hawk, Sal Barberi, Steve Caballero, Christian Hosoi, and only Koston came off as pretentious, but very cool people.

I went to school with Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, and Lendale White. Met and saw only Lendale White and just said what's up.

Pete Rose wasn't all that the media and people make him out to. Actually, he looked down in the dumps when I saw him signing autographs in Vegas.

Biggest a-hole? Was probably...hmm meeting Milton Bradley (local Poly product)...not a surprise.

Axe Murderer
04-21-2011, 06:25 PM
I heard A-Rod used to be cool with fans but got douchier as time went on probably because of steroids and how his relationship with the media changed.

Same with Bonds, he used to be bearable but became a giant asshole as he got older

DeadlyDynasty
04-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Most hockey players are cool as shit. I met McSorley, Jari Kurri, Luc Robitaille and a bunch of other Kings back in the day and they were all super nice.

tbh he was cool when I met him at the 2007 LLWS. Gary Thorne (his fellow broadcaster) was shit-faced though, and kind of a dick:lol

I met Ryan Howard (cool) and Jared from Subway there as well:rollin Jared was fucking creepy...

Axe Murderer
04-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Actually I have met Orel Hershiser through my dad when he was pitching coach of the Rangers. He was pretty nice to me because I was like 15 at the time

We had lunch with Buck Showalter too when he was manager here as well

DeadlyDynasty
04-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Met Pudge Rodriguez at La Gorce Country Club (I was working there at the time) in Miami Beach...cool guy :tu

Axe Murderer
04-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Not surprising, I've heard from many that Pudge was easily the nicest Ranger back in the day

ginobili's bald spot
04-21-2011, 06:31 PM
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like the bulldog.

Axe Murderer
04-21-2011, 06:34 PM

tbh I was 15 so he really had no choice but to be nice to me :lol

The Gemini Method
04-21-2011, 06:36 PM
Michael Chang was kinda rude because I smashed a 115mph serve over his picklebreath ass.

lefty
04-21-2011, 06:40 PM

They are cool

Especially McSorley

And his illegal stick

DeadlyDynasty
04-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Met Colts Punter Pat McAfee while covering a HS football game at his alma-mater (Plum High). He was a rookie, and chill as shit.

IronMexican
04-21-2011, 06:51 PM
My only story was getting blown off by Devean George at the South Bay Galleria. He looked at me and looked away. What a douche.

DeadlyDynasty
04-21-2011, 06:54 PM
My only story was getting blown off by Devean George at the South Bay Galleria. He looked at me and looked away. What a douche.

Snubbed by Dickbreath:lol

JoeTait75
04-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Met Sandy Alomar Jr. outside a Tribe game at the Jake during the 1995 season. Real nice guy.

Also met Julian Tavarez that same night. He was wandering around outside the player's lot looking for Manny Ramirez- apparently Manny was his ride. Manny had left a few minutes early and had ditched him. Tavarez spoke zero English. He was wandering around asking, "Where Manny? Where Manny?"

The Gemini Method
04-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Oh Manny being Barry...

I forgot that we ran into Jeter after an Angels and Yankees game...the guy is definitely a chick magnet. Had the O.C. skeezies ready to go down on him in public!

monosylab1k
04-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Only met a few celebs, none of them athletes

Met DJ Shadow once and he was cool as hell.

Randomly met Seth Meyers from SNL out in Times Square. He was cool but in a hurry.

And just a month ago Ben McKenzie walked onto my elevator at the hotel in Austin I was staying at. It took me a minute to recognize him, then I just kept my mouth shut cuz I couldn't think of the name of the show he was on, and it woulda been super gay to say "I liked you in The OC!" He seemed cool, though.

ElNono
04-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Magic Johnson was really nice... He was signing one of his new books at the NBA Store in NYC just when the wife and I were there... We got a picture, signed copy of the book... we chatted a bit about the Spurs... just overall nice guy when he could easily be a complete douche, imo...

cobbler
04-21-2011, 07:20 PM
God bless McSorley and his illegal stick

Crushing turn of events. Still stings to this day.

He really is a cool guy though and you wouldn't think it being the enforcer he was. He had signed some sticks for some kids i had visited in the hospital and i was waiting around to get them. I'm talking to this old guy in the locker room as he's telling me he's visiting from Canada. After about a half hour Marty comes out with the sticks and says... "I see you met dad". I had no clue who the guy was. Two years later I went to the locker room and the old man was sitting there visiting again and looks up and says... "Hi Cobbler". He remembered my name. Blew me away.

ginobili's bald spot
04-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Only met a few celebs, none of them athletes

Met DJ Shadow once and he was cool as hell.

Randomly met Seth Meyers from SNL out in Times Square. He was cool but in a hurry.

And just a month ago Ben McKenzie walked onto my elevator at the hotel in Austin I was staying at. It took me a minute to recognize him, then I just kept my mouth shut cuz I couldn't think of the name of the show he was on, and it woulda been super gay to say "I liked you in The OC!" He seemed cool, though.

Weren't you the one who made a thread about playing basketball with Anthony Randolph, or am I thinking of someone else?

Findog
04-21-2011, 07:22 PM
Charles Barkley was a nice guy (during his playing days, he was still with the Sixers at the time).

Bucky Dent was a raging asshole. I would have had no idea who he was except he was wearing a sweatshirt with "Bucky Dent Hitting School" or something emblazoned on it, plus he was wearing a giant World Series ring. So I said something like "Hey, you must be Bucky Dent." He could not have been more put out and a jerk. If you didn't want to be recognized, why wear that shirt?

Brandon Bass was polite but a little standoffish.

cobbler
04-21-2011, 07:22 PM

No doubt. Hockey players are the most down to earth of the millionaire sports stars from my experience.

Speaking of which... I'm outta here for game 4 and hopefully not another embarassing choke job. Come to think of it, LA Kings and Dallas Mavs have a lot in common. Got to the big dance once to choke and forever live with the 0 for life. :bang

cobbler
04-21-2011, 07:24 PM

You could pick a lock with that nose.

Findog
04-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Not surprising, I've heard from many that Pudge was easily the nicest Ranger back in the day

Really? I worked for the Rangers as a parking lot attendant in high school (94-95) and hard the opposite. His wife was supposedly a high-maintenance drama queen. Guess it depends on who you talk to.

picc84
04-21-2011, 07:34 PM
I met Shaq one summer in Louisiana while down there for a summer camp. He was just hanging out at LSU, and was a really nice, great guy. I was a little tyke and he went out of his way to say whats up and chat when he didn't have to. I'll never forget it.

But fuck him sideways and halfway to sunday as far as the Lakers are concerned.

koriwhat
04-21-2011, 07:34 PM
the only shitty athlete i've ever had the misfortune to meet was maurice cheeks... that dude's a total dick or at least he was to me when i was like 7 yrs old asking for his autograph.

DPG21920
04-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Every Spur I have met has been really cool, down to earth, funny and generous.

I met some other basketball players and they were all jerks.

Def Rowe
04-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Bob Welch, Steve Garvey, Mark Hardy, Don Drysdale, Sandy Koufax, Dusty Baker, Fernando Valenzuela... Only Laker I ever met is John Sally.

All cool dudes.

Bito Corleone
04-21-2011, 07:41 PM
The nicest "athlete" I've probably ever met would be Fred Funk. He's a pro golfer. I actually got to play a round with him at a course in Horseshoe Bay where I play from time to time. Great sense of humor and just an all around good guy. Ended up taking a couple hundred bucks off of him...although he was very generous with my handicap and gave me about a shot per hole.

Met plenty of nice and asshole athletes over the years, but he always stands out in my mind.

lefty
04-21-2011, 07:41 PM
Crushing turn of events. Still stings to this day.

He really is a cool guy though and you wouldn't think it being the enforcer he was. He had signed some sticks for some kids i had visited in the hospital and i was waiting around to get them. I'm talking to this old guy in the locker room as he's telling me he's visiting from Canada. After about a half hour Marty comes out with the sticks and says... "I see you met dad". I had no clue who the guy was. Two years later I went to the locker room and the old man was sitting there visiting again and looks up and says... "Hi Cobbler". He remembered my name. Blew me away.

Wow

Great story

Yeah NHL Network had a segment on him - he seems to be a great guy

(and yes, it could have been 2-0 L.A not for the stick)

picc84
04-21-2011, 07:42 PM
Blood cousins with Penny Hardaway, and in '98 we were having a fam reunion in Atlanta and everybody got all excited because he was supposed to come. He never showed up, and never explained why.

He made the right choice.

djohn2oo8
04-21-2011, 07:46 PM
met Priest Holmes when he played with Baltimore, cool dude

Calvin Murphy and Avery Johnson were also cool to talk to, met em at basketball camp

saw Ariza at the galleria

DPG21920
04-21-2011, 07:49 PM
I also met Bump, Stretch and Mono in real life.

Bump: I know he comes off as super intimidating here, but he was super cool. He took the time to shake my hand and we even hooped for a while. For a superstar, he was really cool and passed the ball. He even dunked on me, :lol. Then he bought me Wendy's afterwards.

Mono: Kind of quiet, but much nicer in person than you read online. Funny guy in real life. You can see why he's the life of the party on here.

Stretch: What. A. Prick. Seriously, that guy just thought he was so awesome. All he said to me was "lol I'm so good looking". I'm thinking in my head "wow, what a douche".

lefty
04-21-2011, 07:50 PM
Magic Johnson was really nice... He was signing one of his new books at the NBA Store in NYC just when the wife and I were there... We got a picture, signed copy of the book... we chatted a bit about the Spurs... just overall nice guy when he could easily be a complete douche, imo...

Does he speak English?

Grey Spurfan
04-21-2011, 07:50 PM
Every Spur I have met has been really cool, down to earth, funny and generous.

I met some other basketball players and they were all jerks.

This just proves once again that

SPURS= CLASS

cobbler
04-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Bob Welch, Steve Garvey, Mark Hardy, Don Drysdale, Sandy Koufax, Dusty Baker, Fernando Valenzuela... Only Laker I ever met is John Sally.

All cool dudes.

Drysdale!!! My all time fave pitcher. Really really gracious man. Did a lot for our little league.

Best story in baseball.

Walter Alston held up four fingers from the dugout, telling Don Drysdale to walk Stargell. Drysdale promptly hit him. After the inning was over, Alston asked Drysdale why he hit him. Drysdale said, "Why waste three pitches?"

jag
04-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Sat in the first row directly behind th Spurs bench on a few occasions. Most recent was the Spurs-Hawks game in Atlanta. When you're like 2 feet away from them the entire game you can joke with them and ask them random drunk questions and stuff. Especially for an away game like Atlanta. The bench guys don't expect anyone in Atlanta to know who they are.

Gary Neal is funny as hell. He spent the majority of the game cracking up whenever he was on the bench. I jokingly kept asking him about Towson which he thought was funny.

Parker is really cool. I told him he was my hero and that i've kept his cd playing in my car since 2007.

I asked Tiago why Pop won't free him and he laughed and looked at me like i was getting him in trouble...no joke. Keep in mind I was drinking like it wasn't a Tuesday.

I don't ask for autographs when I'm sitting that close because it makes me feel like a bitch. But Manu made it a point to be out there for like 20 min before the game signing autographs and taking pictures with anyone who wanted one.

All of the guys are pretty cool with the fans. Danny green and Gary Neal would actually sit there and joke with us during the game when we kept asking them why Joe Johnson was so overpaid.

The only Spurs player who big-timed us the entire time was Steve fucking Novak. That guy is the most cocky, arrogant fringe NBA player I've ever been around. It's strange.

Axe Murderer
04-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Bump: I know he comes off as super intimidating here, but he was super cool. He took the time to shake my hand and we even hooped for a while. For a superstar, he was really cool and passed the ball. He even dunked on me, :lol. Then he bought me Wendy's afterwards.

I remember the shaking hands part, then we were talking about Roddy Beaubois and then all I can remember after that was getting dizzy, then waking up face down on the court with everybody gone.....

DPG21920
04-21-2011, 08:05 PM
Just drink some G2 and you'll be fine...

DeadlyDynasty
04-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Sat in the first row directly behind th Spurs bench on a few occasions. Most recent was the Spurs-Hawks game in Atlanta. When you're like 2 feet away from them the entire game you can joke with them and ask them random drunk questions and stuff. Especially for an away game like Atlanta. The bench guys don't expect anyone in Atlanta to know who they are.

Gary Neal is funny as hell. He spent the majority of the game cracking up whenever he was on the bench. I jokingly kept asking him about Towson which he thought was funny.

Parker is really cool. I told him he was my hero and that i've kept his cd playing in my car since 2007.

I asked Tiago why Pop won't free him and he laughed and looked at me like i was getting him in trouble...no joke. Keep in mind I was drinking like it wasn't a Tuesday.

I don't ask for autographs when I'm sitting that close because it makes me feel like a bitch. But Manu made it a point to be out there for like 20 min before the game signing autographs and taking pictures with anyone who wanted one.

All of the guys are pretty cool with the fans. Danny green and Gary Neal would actually sit there and joke with us during the game when we kept asking them why Joe Johnson was so overpaid.

The only Spurs player who big-timed us the entire time was Steve fucking Novak. That guy is the most cocky, arrogant fringe NBA player I've ever been around. It's strange.

I can picture him looking at you with the facial expression in your avatar when you asked him that:lol

Axe Murderer
04-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Drysdale!!! My all time fave pitcher. Really really gracious man. Did a lot for our little league.

Best story in baseball.

Walter Alston held up four fingers from the dugout, telling Don Drysdale to walk Stargell. Drysdale promptly hit him. After the inning was over, Alston asked Drysdale why he hit him. Drysdale said, "Why waste three pitches?"

http://www.cookiemadness.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/blackberry-cobbler.jpg

Axe Murderer
04-21-2011, 08:07 PM
I can picture him looking at you with the facial expression in your avatar when you asked him that:lol

http://www.impactlab.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/poison-872.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_V5SReiHuxbs/S7jUgESAcZI/AAAAAAAAAxI/zAvQUmJpuBA/s1600/DYNASTY+LOGO.jpg

jag
04-21-2011, 08:15 PM

By the 4th quarter our goal was to make him laugh in a huddle during a timeout. Your sitting right next to the player huddle so you can't really scream or be rowdy or else an attendant will bitch at you. So whenever he would look at us we would just point at him mouth the words "what's wrong with Pop?" He would just smile and look away. He looks like he's scared shitless of Pop. Can't say I blame him.

Kyle Orton
04-21-2011, 08:19 PM
I met Shaq towards the end of his one full season in Phoenix and he was one of the funniest people I've ever met. At this point I was pretty clear he and Nash hated each other so I asked him something about it and he intentionally dodged the question in a way that made it clear he had a very opinionated answer :lol

jag
04-21-2011, 08:25 PM
I met Shaq towards the end of his one full season in Phoenix and he was one of the funniest people I've ever met. At this point I was pretty clear he and Nash hated each other so I asked him something about it and he intentionally dodged the question in a way that made it clear he had a very opinionated answer :lol

I've heard he's cool as hell with the fans. He'd be cool to mess with until you fucked up and asked him the wrong question.

Kyle Orton
04-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Tbh it seemed like he was in an especially carefree mood. He knew he was gone once the season was over (and it already was for the most part), he knew he was gonna get dragged through the mud by Phoenix journalists, and he knew all the fans here hated him. I think he was shocked to see a Phoenix fan who clearly liked him more than Nash so he felt like answering a question he woulda normally stayed away from.

Kori Ellis
04-21-2011, 08:29 PM
As a Spurs fan, this is painful, but out of the 100s of athletes I've met over the years, Dirk was the coolest :lol

Ghazi
04-21-2011, 08:34 PM
As a Spurs fan, this is painful, but out of the 100s of athletes I've met over the years, Dirk was the coolest :lol

:)

LnGrrrR
04-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Hey Ghazi, was Tyson Chandler pretty cool? :) :lol

Reggie Williams
04-21-2011, 08:46 PM
I played pickup with Sam Young and Dejuan Blair pretty often when I was at Pitt. Young is really quiet and extremely nice. He doesn't act like he's big time really. Really really really quiet though.

Blair is funny as hell. Hes one of the nicest athletes you can meet as well.

Met Warren Sapp on my plane to California. He was sitting behind my parents in first class and being a loud ass negro, but damn the dude is nice as shit. Signed autographs for everyone on the plane and got into a friendly arguement with the dude next to him about black and white players. He is really chill.

Met Tavaris Jackson after a Skins-Vikings game. I told him he was a beast at Alabama State. Dude was chill as shit.

baseline bum
04-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Assholes:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Larry Bird

Good guys:

Magic Johnson
Artis Gilmore
Julius Erving
David Robinson
Mychal Thompson
Manute Bol (RIP :()
James Worthy
Michael Jordan
Kevin McHale

jag
04-21-2011, 08:57 PM
Assholes:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Larry Bird

Good guys:

Magic Johnson
Artis Gilmore
Julius Erving
David Robinson
Mychal Thompson
James Worthy
Michael Jordan
Kevin McHale

I was like 2 years old when you were meeting these people

Axe Murderer
04-21-2011, 09:01 PM
Assholes:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Larry Bird

Good guys:

Magic Johnson
Artis Gilmore
Julius Erving
David Robinson
Mychal Thompson
James Worthy
Michael Jordan
Kevin McHale

http://dlcache.com/thumbs/4bd/baseline-clothing.com.gif

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ffAyUJW9Uok/S-ISV-WImnI/AAAAAAAABDk/6WWiGsPpBMk/s1600/bum.jpg

DeadlyDynasty
04-21-2011, 09:02 PM
^
Only classy bums drink 40's of Yuengling :tu

TIMMYD!
04-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Only athlete I've every met was Larvell Blanks. He was my 8th grade substitute teacher and was a pretty cool guy overall.

baseline bum
04-21-2011, 09:09 PM
I forgot about Sandy Koufax. I asked him for an autograph at a SA Dodgers (AA team) game years ago and he came and sat at the table with my dad and I for a couple of innings. There was a cleared out area on the 3rd base side of the old stadium where kids would go to try to catch foul balls, but I was the only one there when he came over to hang out in the area. It was pretty cool since I was reading a couple of books about him and Drysdale at the time.

baseline bum
04-21-2011, 09:16 PM
^
Only classy bums drink 40's of Yuengling :tu

:lol The only 40s I drank were 8-ball, Mickey's, and King Cobra, though I preferred the 64oz OE. Can't buy that one anymore...

DMC
04-21-2011, 09:18 PM
I forgot about Sandy Koufax. I asked him for an autograph at a SA Dodgers (AA team) game years ago and he came and sat at the table with my dad and I for a couple of innings. There was a cleared out area on the 3rd base side of the old stadium where kids would go to try to catch foul balls, but I was the only one there when he came over to hang out in the area. It was pretty cool since I was reading a couple of books about him and Drysdale at the time.

That would be a memorable moment.

Willie Anderson was cool. Funny to have a Spur knocking on your door when a relative is visiting and you have Spurs tickets. Sean is cool. David was very cordial and waited until you released his hand before he released yours, easy to tell he was raised right.

DeadlyDynasty
04-21-2011, 09:19 PM
:lol The only 40s I drank were 8-ball, Mickey's, and King Cobra, though I preferred the 64oz OE. Can't buy that one anymore...

:wow

ya'll were some OG's back in the day

baseline bum
04-21-2011, 09:23 PM
:wow

ya'll were some OG's back in the day

Nah man... it was just cheaper to get one 64 instead of two 40s. :lol

ElNono
04-21-2011, 09:24 PM
does he speak english?

baseline bum
04-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Crap, I forgot about Barkley. My dad and I snuck down to courtside in the fourth quarter of a game the Spurs were getting blown out in, and took a great photo of Charles doing a two-hand jam. So he got a really nice print of it and gave Charles a copy of it when Philly came in again the next year. He was really appreciative, as it was a great shot.

I haven't met too many athletes since the 80s though, as I don't think adults should ask for autographs and the fans don't have the kind of access to the players now that they did in the 80s. I used to go into the Spurs locker room before games to bring guys cakes on their birthdays and stuff like that. Can't really do that in the modern era.

jag
04-21-2011, 09:44 PM
I used to go into the Spurs locker room before games to bring guys cakes on their birthdays and stuff like that. Can't really do that in the modern era.

You were a kid, I assume?

The Refrigerator
04-21-2011, 09:46 PM

It would be kinda odd if he wasn't.

Unless he was baking cakes for RJ. That would make sense I guess.

daspurs
04-21-2011, 09:53 PM

Hanley Ramirez
Tim Hardaway
Gary Sheffield
Andre Reed

Good guys:

Cal Ripken Jr
Jeff Conine
Jim Kelly
Darryl Talley
Chad Pennington

What part of Miami/Broward you from ?

baseline bum
04-21-2011, 09:54 PM

Yeah, but lots of the bums and players knew each other and it was cool for adults too. Plus you could get into the arena at 4:30 for a 7:30 game, so lots of the players on most of the teams would come shoot the breeze with the fans who showed up really early when they got tired of shooting. Jordan really changed all that though; he made the NBA into big business and the fan interaction died quickly as the league started getting really popular.

DeadlyDynasty
04-21-2011, 09:55 PM
What part of Miami/Broward you from ?

Kendall originally...I live in Pinecrest now.

lefty
04-21-2011, 09:56 PM
You do have a pic of MJ holding you when you were a kid

Or was it someone else ?

baseline bum
04-21-2011, 09:59 PM
You do have a pic of MJ holding you when you were a kid

Or was it someone else ?

No; that would be funny though. :lol

Jordan didn't screw around and talk much, but the couple of times I did catch him he was nice and signed my cards... including an 86-87 Fleer rookie. :lol

lefty
04-21-2011, 10:04 PM
No; that would be funny though. :lol

Jordan didn't screw around and talk much, but the couple of times I did catch him he was nice and signed my cards... including an 86-87 Fleer rookie. :lol
So he didnt call you a flaming faggot? Poor Kwame Brown :lol

...Wait...86-87 rookie card ???????? Fleer :lmao

baseline bum
04-21-2011, 10:04 PM
You know, I want to take back calling Bird an asshole. He was just all business and you couldn't distract him for anything. It didn't matter if it was 3 hours before the game.

DeadlyDynasty
04-21-2011, 10:52 PM
You know, I want to take back calling Bird an asshole. He was just all business and you couldn't distract him for anything. It didn't matter if it was 3 hours before the game.

I've heard the same about MJ, but people interpret that as them being assholes.

lefty
04-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Too late; you.re off the Dream Team

But seriously, what about Kareem?

He seems to be very shy, and he has had health issues, why may explain why he seems to be cold

The Refrigerator
04-21-2011, 10:54 PM
I've heard the same about MJ, but people interpret that as them being assholes.

Ya MJ is a real nice guy :lol

Budkin
04-21-2011, 10:54 PM
Only athlete I've met was the Iceman at a Toros promo event here in Austin. He was "cool" as hell.

NewJerSpur
04-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Chad Pennington is an athlete......I keed, I keed.

DeadlyDynasty
04-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Chad Pennington is an athlete......I keed, I keed.

He's apparently capable of suffering debilitating injuries in multiple sports, tbh

NewJerSpur
04-21-2011, 10:59 PM
He's apparently capable of suffering debilitating injuries in multiple sports, tbh

Score.

daspurs
04-21-2011, 11:34 PM
Kendall originally...I live in Pinecrest now.

Oh thats wassup , thats where brandon knight played his high school ball

daspurs
04-21-2011, 11:37 PM
eddie jones was a cool dude , caught him in a mall parking lot .

daslicer
04-21-2011, 11:43 PM
Lets see I met several athletes at the Jimmy V golf celebrity tournament back where I live. During the 90's it was huge event which got a some top notch athletes.

Michael Jordan- I met him twice in '98 and '99 at the tournament. In '98 he was an asshole and told me and bunch of kids to get lost when asking for autographs. In '99 I met him again by accident not on purpose at the tournament this time around didn't ask for autograph but my younger bro asked him about the Wizards potential. MJ had a smug smile then ask my brother "So kid how far do you think they will go." Surprisingly my bro said "I think the Wizards suck and won't make it to the playoffs." MJ then responds and laughs "What do you know you are just a kid!" My bro responds "Everybody says in the magazines the Wizards garbage." MJ laughs again "What do they know hell they once said I was going to lose to the Knicks when I was down 0-2 they know jack shit. I will show you and everybody they are wrong and you'll see you'll see we will be in the playoffs." MJ ended the conversation by smiling and saying "You are a wise guy" and then walked away. Really got to see his arrogance in that conversation.

James Worthy- Really a classy guy. I remember kid screaming to his face "Its the big Gay James Worthy." Surprisingly James still gave the kid an autograph.

Charles Barkley- I have met him several times he's pretty much what he is like on tv.

Christian Laetner- Surprisingly he is a very nice guy and classy.

Spud Webb- Classy guy.

Vinny Del Negro- Funny guy I remember I asked him for his autograph and he looked me like I was crazy and said "You want my autograph I can't believe it really you want my autograph why I'm not a superstar"

Tmac- Met him at a preseason game when he was on the magic I would say he's very smug. He gives autograph's but I didn't ask for one.

PJ Carlismo- Granted he's a coach but I met him few months before he was choked. He came across as funny guy. I actually felt bad for him when I heard of the Sprewell Incident.

Fratello- Pretty nice.

Vince Carter- I would say he's pretty much an odd guy.

Coach K- Big time asshole definitely not someone you would like to meet in person.

Chucky Brown- Lives in my parents neighborhood. I have met him a few times randomly. He's pretty much a very laid back guy.

Dean Smith- Extremely classy and humble. I met him when I was 13 just remember how nice he was to me.

Calipari- I met him when he was the nets coach. I can see why this guy is great recruiter he is very charismatic in person. The guy could be a politician if he wanted to be. He is very good sales man.

monosylab1k
04-21-2011, 11:53 PM
Weren't you the one who made a thread about playing basketball with Anthony Randolph, or am I thinking of someone else?

lol yeah I guess I did meet him crofl how did i forget det one?

He was really cool and had a lot of patience considering i fucked up like 3 pics with him and he still stood there.

Sean Cagney
04-21-2011, 11:55 PM

LOL I remember that OE there you mention! I had a 45 OZ one too at one time around 96!!!! Then after I got over that Malt it was just icehouse!

BTW to add to the thread Bryan Cox I met here in VA at a minor league bball game at the Prince William Pirates farm team game, he was not as scary as I thought, I was scared to ask him as I was a huge fins fan but his game and his damn image had me scared as a kid to ask him. He signed it and nodded to me, didn't seem too friendly but not a dick at all like I thought from games or interviews. I said good luck this year bro and kept it moving.

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
04-22-2011, 12:05 AM
Many years ago I was out to dinner waiting at the bar for a table. My wife and I started shooting the shit for about 10 minutes with the couple next to us. They were totally down to earth. They got called to their table and the bartender wanted to know what Mario Andretti had to say to us. We knew him, but didn't know it was him. So that was kind of cool to be able to talk to someone famous and not have to stumble over what to say. We walked by their table on the way to ours and traded smiles. Later we found out that wasn't his wife.

DDUBB1770
04-22-2011, 12:13 AM
Met / waited on bunch of pga guys... off top of my head cool as shit phil mickelson, also bartended private parties for him great tipper always in a good mood, john daley cool both sober and drunk, peter jacobson funny as shit, freddy boom boom couples super laid back great tipper, nick faldo classey great taste in wine...
Tiger woods cheap as day is long and an asshole! Johnny miller fuckin dick living n the past, vijay singh might be the only bigger dick than tiger on tour... oh and rip payne stewart was super cool dude.

DMC
04-22-2011, 12:21 AM
Met Kobe at a hotel in Colorado. He seemed to be in a hurry to leave, didn't say much.

lefty
04-22-2011, 12:39 AM
Met Kobe at a hotel in Colorado. He seemed to be in a hurry to leave, didn't say much.

:lmao

4>0rings
04-22-2011, 01:10 AM
I met this old guy at JITB in Phoenix one day. He was sitting alone mumbling something about checking assholes and raping period's.

Giuseppe
04-22-2011, 06:56 AM
I met this old guy at JITB in Phoenix one day. He was sitting alone mumbling something about checking assholes and raping period's.

It'll never end.