PDA

View Full Version : Have you voted for mayor today?

Useruser666
06-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Well, if not then VOTE!

http://www.bexar.org/elections/

The Ressurrected One
06-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Early and often!

blaze89
06-07-2005, 03:17 PM
I'd vote if there were candidates worthy. Unfortunately, there isn't any today. I choose to stay home.

MannyIsGod
06-07-2005, 03:28 PM
Really? Care to break down their stances to me blaze and tell me why they're not worthy?

Bandit2981
06-07-2005, 03:31 PM
i just got back from casting a vote for the judge :)

Dan Rather
06-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Both of them are draft dodgers and I have the documents to prove it.

blaze89
06-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Really?

Yup.

Care to break down their stances to me blaze and tell me why they're not worthy?

Nah. I'm opting out of this election because I don't feel either candidate has earned my vote. Aside from the negativity and the 'slinging they've been involved in, all I have heard in political rhetoric (sp.). Nothing these candidates has said has gotten me energized for this vote at all.

I'd vote if there a "none of the above" slot below Hardberger and Castro.

2centsworth
06-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Have you voted for mayor today

four or five times.

MannyIsGod
06-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Yup.

Nah. I'm opting out of this election because I don't feel either candidate has earned my vote. Aside from the negativity and the 'slinging they've been involved in, all I have heard in political rhetoric (sp.). Nothing these candidates has said has gotten me energized for this vote at all.

I'd vote if there a "none of the above" slot below Hardberger and Castro.
Translation: I don't know squat about what either candidate stands for and in a vain effort to make myself seem above the process, i'll sit at home.

Useruser666
06-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Translation: I don't know squat about what either candidate stands for and in a vain effort to make myself seem above the process, i'll sit at home.

Manny, we agree on this. I wish I could vote for mayor.

NeoConIV
06-07-2005, 04:11 PM
I saw the last debate and was so thoroughly disgusted with both of them...

Ocotillo
06-07-2005, 04:16 PM
I voted last Friday.

The Ressurrected One
06-07-2005, 04:17 PM
I'd vote if there were candidates worthy. Unfortunately, there isn't any today. I choose to stay home.
Ever heard of a write in vote?

Oh, and since I'm not a San Antonioian, are there other issues up for a vote today? Or, is it just the mayor's race?

Smackie Chan
06-07-2005, 04:18 PM

^RACK^ :lmao

Ocotillo
06-07-2005, 04:20 PM
the only other races are two council districts that have run offs.

blaze89
06-07-2005, 04:22 PM

ha ha ha....mindreader!

Seriously, I've watched the news, read the articles, editorials on both candidates spoke with people about this. Unfortunately I missed the debate last Friday because of work but either candidate I feel hasn't earned my vote. Now I'm not a big newshound, I'm not a treasure of knowledge.

I see Castro as a little green and somewhat of an indecided leader. Hardberger, I feel is in some people's pocket and will not bring the change or leadership he is proposing on bringing onto the city council.

Then there are accusations of Castro releasing the "ghetto memo" and the picture of Harberger on the toilet, which I actually found funny, but not what I would find in a mayoral race. Castro slinging back with court records and so forth...just turned me away. In either candidate, I don't see how they will change the "business as usual" mentality in city goverment.

Items such as city services, aquifer protection, and bringing businesses to S.A., etc. to me are all the "standard fare" which anyone running for office would say.

If you want to throw issues at me and discuss, fine. I'll speak for myself and not for a candidate. But either candidate just hasn't energized me. Call it a copout or say I'm uninformed fine, but if my vote is so important...shouldn't I treat that vote with such importance and vote for someone cause you say so?

blaze89
06-07-2005, 04:23 PM
Ever heard of a write in vote?

Oh, and since I'm not a San Antonioian, are there other issues up for a vote today? Or, is it just the mayor's race?

Two district races....runoffs as the other posted stated but I'm not in either district.

MannyIsGod
06-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Blaze, it is a copout.

blaze89
06-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Blaze, it is a copout.

Then that's your opinion.

Useruser666
06-07-2005, 04:56 PM
No Manny, he's formed his own opinion, and he has that right. I think it's very missinformed one. I guess it's just me that sees these candidates as being miles apart. Even Castro's own election signs make him look shady!

blaze89
06-07-2005, 05:12 PM
No Manny, he's formed his own opinion, and he has that right. I think it's very missinformed one. I guess it's just me that sees these candidates as being miles apart. Even Castro's own election signs make him look shady!

Well, I'm not a book of knowledge, but in reading and hearing these candidates, nothing's energized me. Neither one has made me stand up and say, "he's right and he's got my vote."

Aside from the attacks from both sides, I became turned off by Hardberger when he got the endorsement from Schubert. They way those two were attacking each other and then became friendly allies just didnt' sit right with me. If Schubert came out and said, I'll let my own constituents (sp) decide on their own, I would have had high respect for that. But the way these two were on the offensive against each other then became pals.....my "third eye" just saw something fishy.

Castro, I just think is indecisive at times and just not satisfied with what's he's presented.

However, with how strict these term limits are, I really believe that makes the mayoral office almost insignificant. I certainly feel that unless there is a new way of city government is run, longer terms certainly, an increase in pay there won't be an improvement in city goverment.

mouse
06-07-2005, 05:40 PM
I don't blame Blaze, The choices kinda suck.

I rather have Cisneros back... :lmao

Useruser666
06-07-2005, 06:02 PM
Well, I'm not a book of knowledge, but in reading and hearing these candidates, nothing's energized me. Neither one has made me stand up and say, "he's right and he's got my vote."

Aside from the attacks from both sides, I became turned off by Hardberger when he got the endorsement from Schubert. They way those two were attacking each other and then became friendly allies just didnt' sit right with me. If Schubert came out and said, I'll let my own constituents (sp) decide on their own, I would have had high respect for that. But the way these two were on the offensive against each other then became pals.....my "third eye" just saw something fishy.

Castro, I just think is indecisive at times and just not satisfied with what's he's presented.

However, with how strict these term limits are, I really believe that makes the mayoral office almost insignificant. I certainly feel that unless there is a new way of city government is run, longer terms certainly, an increase in pay there won't be an improvement in city goverment.

See there in lies the problem with your opinion Blaze. The candidates are very different for what they stand for, and what type of people they are. If you can't seen that, then you're basing your opinion off of ignorance. That is where you are being criticised.

blaze89
06-07-2005, 07:07 PM
See there in lies the problem with your opinion Blaze. The candidates are very different for what they stand for, and what type of people they are. If you can't seen that, then you're basing your opinion off of ignorance. That is where you are being criticised.

I'm not saying they are the same, two pieces cut from the same cloth.

What I have been saying, is that neither one has given me reason to vote for them. The issues are basically the same, of course leadership styles are different.

You can call it ignorance or uninformed but in reading and listening I'm not hearing anything that makes me energized, it's same story, two different book covers.

If anything, I'm cynical and I just don't think either candidate, most definitely Castro, will change city hall and how it's run. I don't see that happening unless there is a change in our system because all it is, is a revolving door.

Useruser666
06-07-2005, 08:59 PM
See you still have a problem then. Vote for the best candidate. It's as simple as that.

blaze89
06-07-2005, 09:17 PM
See you still have a problem then. Vote for the best candidate. It's as simple as that.

LOL We are right back to where we started! LOL

I don't think either one is the best candidate. I look at it as, is this the best we got? I see a career politician (Castro) who's a bit wishy-washy and an outsider (Hardberger), which I find admirable, but turned me off when aligning himself with an insider. Add the mudslinging and it just drove me away.

You can't judge past leadership in a matter of a few years, you have to wait at least a decade to see the fruits of one's labor. Some of us laugh at Ed Garza, myself included but perhaps 10-15 years from now, we could be grateful for him, we don't know for sure.

I just hope that whomever wins, has success and does what is best for the city even though its only for two - four years. On a personal note, hopefully brings faith back into city government cause I know for sure I don't have that faith.

scott
06-07-2005, 09:51 PM
I also feel neither candidate is worthy.

Useruser666
06-08-2005, 08:02 AM
If you're totally undecided then don't vote. But you can't honestly say that one candidate is not the tiniest bit better than the other. If you really looked at both of them, you'd know that they had several key differences between them.

The Ressurrected One
06-08-2005, 09:18 AM
So, who won?

MannyIsGod
06-08-2005, 09:32 AM
Hardberger

The Ressurrected One
06-08-2005, 09:38 AM
Is that good?

MannyIsGod
06-08-2005, 09:59 AM
I don't think you'd think so. He's a former liberal lawyer and judge. He'll be tougher enviromentally, but he should also be smarter with money.

Useruser666
06-08-2005, 09:59 AM
I think it's great.

cherylsteele
06-08-2005, 06:20 PM
I too decided to not vote.....

Neither candidate really said what his postions were....all I was reading about was how the other was slinging the mud. Neither one of them made any statements that informed me of their postions, beliefs, or ideas for the city's future.

I didn't trust either one of them.....

The lesser of two evils??? Not this time....they both stink.

Bandit2981
06-08-2005, 06:37 PM
Neither candidate really said what his postions were....all I was reading about was how the other was slinging the mud. Neither one of them made any statements that informed me of their postions, beliefs, or ideas for the city's future.
:wtf :wtf :wtf
did you watch any of the debates? or read the paper? there was a lot that was stated about their positions, unless you were just going by the ads on television. for instance, which candidate was proposing an 1/8 cent sales tax increase for a crime district? thats a pretty basic and simple question to answer if you were really paying attention :)

Nbadan
06-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Hardberger. Castro has to work to climb out of the shadow of the Garza regime, but I can see nother run in his future. This election did little to hurt his future chances.

cherylsteele
06-08-2005, 09:45 PM
:wtf :wtf :wtf
did you watch any of the debates? or read the paper? there was a lot that was stated about their positions, unless you were just going by the ads on television. for instance, which candidate was proposing an 1/8 cent sales tax increase for a crime district? thats a pretty basic and simple question to answer if you were really paying attention :)

I was paying attention......I just never heard that being said.....I like to think of myself as being well informed....I just never heard this....I guess the candidates did a poor job of delivering their messages......I know for a fact I am not the only one who feels this way.....and many of those people don't participate in this forum.

white=stupid
06-09-2005, 08:12 PM
hardberger suks! he shouldnt fuckin be the mayor!!!!!!!!!

Useruser666
06-10-2005, 10:17 AM
hardberger suks! he shouldnt fuckin be the mayor!!!!!!!!!

Castro? Is that you?

white=stupid
06-10-2005, 03:34 PM
no stupid, im a 16 yr old girl who effin hates hardberger and tht KISS ASS schubert.. omg i so cant believe tht castro didnt wIN! ugh! so not cool!!
`laura`

clubalien
06-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Your parents should of told you that it might not be a good idea to mention your age and stuff thsir can be online people that might try to harm you

bigzak25
06-10-2005, 03:49 PM
no stupid, im a 16 yr old girl who effin hates hardberger and tht KISS ASS schubert.. omg i so cant believe tht castro didnt wIN! ugh! so not cool!!
`laura`

so big deal, vote for YOUR choice in 2 years....castro will run again.

Useruser666
06-10-2005, 04:14 PM
`laura`

Dare I ask, why isn't it cool that Castro didn't win?

white=stupid
06-10-2005, 04:44 PM
because he would have been a way better mayor than hardburger! all hardberger cares about are the rich white ppl, not the people of san antonio alltogether.
`laura`

samikeyp
06-10-2005, 04:51 PM
Looks like you just hate white people in general.

bigzak25
06-10-2005, 04:53 PM
because he would have been a way better mayor than hardburger! all hardberger cares about are the rich white ppl, not the people of san antonio alltogether.
`laura`

so you chose white=stupid instead of brown=entitled as your username?

i'm hispanic and i'm not rich. you are embarrassing us.

wake up...they're all crooked and all politicians...they will all lie...and they all have their own best interests at heart....

at the end of the day? castro is a kid and was part of the city council that was the problem. he represented status quo.

the judge? he's old, and yeah, good job spotting it, he's white too. what are you? a racist? he should do fine and IF not? he'll be gone in two years...

Bandit2981
06-10-2005, 05:02 PM
all hardberger cares about are the rich white ppl, not the people of san antonio alltogether.
um, hardberger actually cares about the city, thats why he wanted the job...not to use it as a stepping stone for his political career

bigzak25
06-10-2005, 05:06 PM
exactly like bandit said....hardberger is at the end of his career. he has said, 4 years max as the mayor and his career is done....so i think he'll try to do a damn good job, cuz we all know, it's how you finish that is remembered....

Useruser666
06-10-2005, 07:26 PM
`laura`

It's funny you think that way. You are very misinformed if that's what you believe. Castro cares more about rich people not matter what the color they are. Hardberger doesn't need to bend to special intrests because he has nothing to lose and there is nothing he wants from them. Since he is basically retired, he doesn't need to take money under the table. He has a great understanding of law and human rights. I honestly think he wants to work for the people. Castro on the other hand wants to work for the big $ and for his image.

MannyIsGod
06-10-2005, 09:05 PM
It's no secret that the people who don't vote always get on my nerves. If you want to make some kind of stand and point by not taking action, go right ahead. I just happen to view it as a really stupid way of trying to protest something.

The whole "they didn't earn my vote" arguement is retarded. I'm not going to pull any punches, because people have to live with these candidates whether you consider them worthy or not. Problems don't get fixed by ignoring them or by leaving them alone. If you want the polical situation and selection to improve, it's going to take less apathy and ignorance and much more proactive action.

The reason that we're left with what you consider substandard candidates is such a low level of voter turnout. Politics effects everyone in very serious ways but people are more concerned with who Tom Cruise is dating or which celebrity is pregnant.

We're not talking about people who are competing to sell you a product. We're talking about people that have a say about the things that happen in your life, and YOU have a stake in finding out what they stand for regardless of how much of an effort they make to show you what they stand for. That people have a responsibility in this is something that very few of you ever care to mention. It seems you all want them to break it down for you so that you can make an easy decision.

So, if you want to abstain from voting, it is your right. But don't make excuses for your action, or inaction rather. Inaction that will get you nothing but candidates you don't agree with and who don't care about what you think or say.

I hate seeing politicians ignore democracy and do things that go against it's spirit, but I put the blame squarely on the apathetic people who allow them to do so.

blaze89
06-11-2005, 12:17 AM
It's funny you think that way. You are very misinformed if that's what you believe. Castro cares more about rich people not matter what the color they are. Hardberger doesn't need to bend to special intrests because he has nothing to lose and there is nothing he wants from them. Since he is basically retired, he doesn't need to take money under the table. He has a great understanding of law and human rights. I honestly think he wants to work for the people. Castro on the other hand wants to work for the big $ and for his image.

Funny you should say that because Hardberger got some big donations prior to the Aug. 15 cut off date. (I believe that the date, it's late and I'm a bit tired). As much as $10,000, definitely some between the 2K and 10K amount from the highly influential. Also, did Hardberger win because of his message or the "anyone but Castro" vote, Castro did piss off many, if not all members of the business community.

Hardberger's retired yes, so I do hope that you are right and this campaign is more from the heart than for vanity or for favors. I have a hard time buying it though but that's just my cynical nature. I mean just because one's retired doesn't mean money isn't an issue.

The mayor is just one vote out of 11 in our current system but I am hoping there is a change in city politics...at least bring back some confidnece back into local government. (cynical yet hopeful)

I'm not asking for much am I?

We got two years...let's see what develops.

Das Texan
06-11-2005, 01:55 AM
i'm glad hardberger won. finally nice to start winning some political races again, i had almost forgot what that was like. I think hardberger will at the very least make things interesting at city hall in the way he does things.

to those of you that didnt vote. dont bitch the next two years, you chose to not let your voice be heard, keep your mouth shut now.

ps as a city we are stupid for not voting for relaxed term limits and pay for the council/mayor. you get what you pay for.

Useruser666
06-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Funny you should say that because Hardberger got some big donations prior to the Aug. 15 cut off date. (I believe that the date, it's late and I'm a bit tired). As much as $10,000, definitely some between the 2K and 10K amount from the highly influential. Also, did Hardberger win because of his message or the "anyone but Castro" vote, Castro did piss off many, if not all members of the business community.

Hardberger's retired yes, so I do hope that you are right and this campaign is more from the heart than for vanity or for favors. I have a hard time buying it though but that's just my cynical nature. I mean just because one's retired doesn't mean money isn't an issue.

The mayor is just one vote out of 11 in our current system but I am hoping there is a change in city politics...at least bring back some confidnece back into local government. (cynical yet hopeful)

I'm not asking for much am I?

We got two years...let's see what develops.

Who is more susceptable to corruption or influence from special interests, a mayor who has already set his term limits and cares little about his image to special interests, or a myaor that has barely begun his poltical career and who's image is everything to him. I would understand people who had given Schubert money to suddenly get behind Hardberger in a runoff against Castro.

clubalien
06-11-2005, 12:00 PM
personaly i am in favor of short term limits
if there were longer term limits the mayor would have been in office long enough to have soccor here anyways short limits mean they aren't given enough time to fuck up as much but also not enough time to do good since i don't trust politicans in san antonio ( i live in schertz) but they can influence cities around them i am in favor of short limits