PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Films: once brothers (Divac and Petrovic)

lefty
04-23-2011, 02:09 AM
A++ stuff; must watch :tu

Men, when you see some players crying like little girls for nothing, and what players from ex-Yugoslavia had to go through....

Politics :pctoss

JoeTait75
04-23-2011, 06:11 AM
Watched it the other night. I thought- acknowledging he isn't around to tell his side of the story- that Petro kind of ill-served Vlade. Destroying a friendship over politics, even the kind of politics that engender a civil war, just seems so petty. And knowing what I know about Vlade, he doesn't seem like the nationalistic type.

Maybe if Petro had lived things would have changed between the two of them, who knows.

But Petro was some kind of player. Pure, pure scorer. Just wrecked Craig Ehlo every time the Nets played the Cavs in those days, and they met twice in the playoffs. Of all the shooting guards in the East, only Jordan was tougher. (the late Reggie Lewis was pretty GD tough too, though.)

Kyle Orton
04-23-2011, 09:40 AM
It was a good watch, but it completely revises history. It tried to pass Divac up as the victim when Serbia was brutally murdering innocent Bosnians and Croatians during the time period, it was basically genocide what Serbia did. There's a reason why guys like Petrovic and Kukoc wanted nothing to do with any of their former Serbian teammates.

Kyle Orton
04-23-2011, 09:49 AM
:lmao:lmao:lmao who the fuck plays marbles?

Kyle Orton
04-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Cheating at marbles? Sounds pretty Jewish tbh.

jeebus
04-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Asian Jew?

ChuckD
04-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Drazen was a great shooter, had some play making skills, horrible defender, but way overrated like most people when they die. I wouldn't take him over Miller or Dumars in that era for guards in the East.

I wouldn't take him over Dumars, but since Reggie was pretty much just one of those off-screen shooters, and played no discernable D, I'd take Drazen over him. I've been watching the NBA since 1981 and Drazen Petrovic was the best pure shooter I've ever seen, and he didn't need to be run off 3-4 screens like Miller or Ray Allen to get a clean look.

Drazen was a MUCH better player in NJ than he was in Port, and had really blossomed, earning 3rd team All NBA in his final season at age 28. He probably had 5 really good years ahead of him when he was killed in the crash. He and Marcelonus were the first Euro guards who were physical and willing to mix it up to get to the line.

JoeTait75
04-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Drazen was a great shooter, had some play making skills, horrible defender, but way overrated like most people when they die. I wouldn't take him over Miller or Dumars in that era for guards in the East.

At the time I'd have taken him over Reggie Miller. Remember, this was before Reggie really started building his clutch reputation. All-around, Dumars was better, but Dumars wasn't in Petro's class as a scorer.

And DoK, it's the Balkans. There are no good guys there. And if the Serbs were the bad guys they were just getting payback for World War II, when the Croats collaborated with the Nazis.

Kyle Orton
04-23-2011, 10:48 AM
The thousands of innocent Croats who died at the hand of the Serbs didn't collaborate with the Nazis. The Serbs were the bad people in that conflict, what the did to Bonia and Croatia was genocide. Bosnia has never and never will recover from all the damage Serbia did during that war.

Ashy Larry
04-23-2011, 11:08 AM
politics will always be the downfall .......

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.”

Abe Lincoln

Axe Murderer
04-23-2011, 11:08 AM
I was the king of cheating at marbles.

http://www.simpalife.com/wp-content/uploads/2010-LA-Lakers-NBA-Champs.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_LZbkAYa_BtU/S7GPXTkyTaI/AAAAAAAAAbc/HtzCa2Fk5_A/s400/Gay+Lovers+2.jpg

Kyle Orton
04-23-2011, 11:09 AM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Ashy Larry
04-23-2011, 11:12 AM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

:lol

Axe Murderer
04-23-2011, 11:13 AM
:lol I'm actually surprised nobody's done lakaluva yet tbh

Bukefal
04-23-2011, 11:25 AM
It was a good watch, but it completely revises history. It tried to pass Divac up as the victim when Serbia was brutally murdering innocent Bosnians and Croatians during the time period, it was basically genocide what Serbia did. There's a reason why guys like Petrovic and Kukoc wanted nothing to do with any of their former Serbian teammates.

It was genocide. Horrible things have taken place, mostly by the Serbs (allthough the Croats have had their parts too).

So we can't blame the Croatian players for not wanting anything to do with Divac anymore and even if they personally did not have anything against Divac, they themselves would have been blasted by their own people and seen as traitors. So, they had to. There was no other option.

The ordinary Serb is not to blame for what a group did, many Serbs like Divac, did not have anything against Croats or Bosnians, for years we have all lived together and were friends. Unfortunatelly it happened and it must have really sucked for Divac and so many other people who where in the same position. All what happened really ripped everything apart, it's difficult.

I like this documentary though, they made it into a nice emotional story and especially if you are from the region, it's very familiar and of course Drazen was a great player. We all loved him, he was a hero.

Giuseppe
04-23-2011, 11:31 AM
I was the king of cheating at marbles.

Classic Luva.:lmao

Bukefal
04-23-2011, 11:37 AM
At the time I'd have taken him over Reggie Miller. Remember, this was before Reggie really started building his clutch reputation. All-around, Dumars was better, but Dumars wasn't in Petro's class as a scorer.

And DoK, it's the Balkans. There are no good guys there. And if the Serbs were the bad guys they were just getting payback for World War II, when the Croats collaborated with the Nazis.

Yeah the ustasa collaborated with the nazi's however these problems in the Balkans go way back, even way before WWII and yes there were the ustasi, but the Serbs had the Cetniks, who have done the same atrocities against many peoples and even the Cetniks too have collaborated with the Nazi's.

Kyle Orton
04-23-2011, 12:44 PM
It was genocide. Horrible things have taken place, mostly by the Serbs (allthough the Croats have had their parts too).

So we can't blame the Croatian players for not wanting anything to do with Divac anymore and even if they personally did not have anything against Divac, they themselves would have been blasted by their own people and seen as traitors. So, they had to. There was no other option.

The ordinary Serb is not to blame for what a group did, many Serbs like Divac, did not have anything against Croats or Bosnians, for years we have all lived together and were friends. Unfortunatelly it happened and it must have really sucked for Divac and so many other people who where in the same position. All what happened really ripped everything apart, it's difficult.

I like this documentary though, they made it into a nice emotional story and especially if you are from the region, it's very familiar and of course Drazen was a great player. We all loved him, he was a hero.

This is basically what I was saying. The issue I have with the documentary was it portrayed Drazen as being a prick for cutting off his friendship with Vlade, he was doing what he had to do. The clips of Drazen alone made the documentary worth watching, I just don't like how a lot of political movies distort history (Charlie Wilson's War being the worst example).

daspurs
04-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Asian Jew?

:lol

romsey31
04-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Reminds me of the time I used to play marbles with this Jewish kid. I'd win most times, but whenever he beat me, he always claimed it was because he was Chosen, and I hated him for it. But I knew he and his ancestors weren't chosen for shit. They raped and pillaged their way to wealth.

:lol:rollin:blah:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:rolli n