PDA

View Full Version : SXSW in San Antonio?

Drachen
04-23-2011, 11:20 AM
link (http://www.kens5.com/news/local/SXSW-to-move-SA-to-make-bid-for--120513529.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

Always thought it would be cool to go, but I have never been. I don't really have a hard core opinion on it, other than it would make it easier to go. I did think it would be an interesting topic of conversation.

admiralsnackbar
04-23-2011, 11:36 AM
I have trouble believing Austin is going to let that kind of revenue go out the door. They'd probably subsidize hotel construction and overhead before losing the event. There's also the question of how successful the event would be in SA -- we aren't branded for hipsters the way Austin is and has been.

Drachen
04-23-2011, 11:42 AM
I wonder if they do it temporarily. i.e. hold the event in san antonio while a few more hotels in Austin are under construction.

ChumpDumper
04-23-2011, 03:22 PM
I heard the organizers bitching about the crowds of people they didn't make money off because they went to free shows. One had the gall to tell a reporter that SXSW had become "kind of a spring break destination." Really? You purposely schedule the event during UT's spring break every fucking year and act surprised when college kids show up?

Now they are talking about cracking down on the "free" shows during the day when really the money the venues and workers get from those shows mitigate the asspain of the SXSW showcases, the attendance of which is supposed to be subject to the whims of only those with wristbands. Most clubs will start letting anyone into showcases if they feel they need the bodies at some point, making a farce of the whole system in the first place.

CubanMustGo
04-23-2011, 04:44 PM
I don't see the SXSW crowd flocking to SA. Two totally different vibes - and does SA have anything close to the 6th St/S. Congress scene? Venues? Yah, SA has hotels out the wazoo, but I don't think SXSW is successful on the River Walk, the HBG, and the Alamodome.

Drachen
04-23-2011, 05:02 PM
as i have never been, I don't know the size of venues needed, but st. marys has a ton of small venues up and down it. Get that area, there are a few near that in the broadway and josephine/grayson area Pearl brewery, bohnam... That could take you into downtown, then you have sunset station and cameo.

koriwhat
04-23-2011, 05:58 PM
as i have never been, I don't know the size of venues needed, but st. marys has a ton of small venues up and down it. Get that area, there are a few near that in the broadway and josephine/grayson area Pearl brewery, bohnam... That could take you into downtown, then you have sunset station and cameo.

not nearly enough. it's crazy as hell out in austin during sxsw. insanely crazy!

CubanMustGo
04-23-2011, 06:11 PM
too small, too scattered, too funny

greyforest
04-24-2011, 05:34 AM
No.

MannyIsGod
04-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Tons of venues on St. Marys? The White Rabbit and?

Even though Austin is pretty shitty now, its music scene is still a billion times what San Antonio's is. I don't see a feasible way to have a SXSW in San Antonio.

katyon6th
04-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Tons of venues on St. Marys? The White Rabbit and?

Even though Austin is pretty shitty now, its music scene is still a billion times what San Antonio's is. I don't see a feasible way to have a SXSW in San Antonio

Limelight, The Mix, G.I.G, Candlelight, Tycoon Flats, Webhouse, Carmens. And in the very near vacinity, The Cove, Olmos Bharmacy, Sam's Burger Joint, etc.

There's plenty of live music spots and live music going on here in San Antonio but I have to agree with you and say that the scene here isn't nearly what it is in Austin.

scott
04-24-2011, 01:14 PM
I think we should probably focus our efforts on our NFL Team and luring a Disney Texas before we chase small time events like SXSW.

jman3000
04-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Limelight, The Mix, G.I.G, Candlelight, Tycoon Flats, Webhouse, Carmens. And in the very near vacinity, The Cove, Olmos Bharmacy, Sam's Burger Joint, etc.

There's plenty of live music spots and live music going on here in San Antonio but I have to agree with you and say that the scene here isn't nearly what it is in Austin.

God damn. You know you bar/club hop a lot when you have all those memorized.

I don't even know how many taco cabanas are near me.

Trainwreck2100
04-24-2011, 01:20 PM

The cove is fuckin nasty

katyon6th
04-24-2011, 01:41 PM
God damn. You know you bar/club hop a lot when you have all those memorized.

I don't even know how many taco cabanas are near me.

Actually, it's pretty easy to remember when you live in the neighborhood.

Trainwreck, The Cove is nasty in what way exactly?

DMC
04-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Maybe one day it will go from Round Rock down through SA. Imagine the road trips through that. All the little towns between will have bands, and the bands can make the circuit.

CubanMustGo
04-25-2011, 07:05 PM
One of the Austin TV stations ran a story on this tonight. Apparently there was an April Fools' story in the Austin Chronicle that said something about SXSW looking to make a move. SA media and some of your reps down there thought it was legit and starting talking the idea up. Louis Black, aka Mr. SXSW, said they had utterly no interest in moving SXSW anywhere, let alone SA.

oh crap
04-25-2011, 08:03 PM
lol @ you fat fucks thinking you had a shot.

MannyIsGod
04-26-2011, 09:33 AM

Just because live music is played there doesn't mean they're a venue, IMO. Most of those places don't have a stage. They basically have an open area - a really small one at a that - where a band can set up and use their amps.

Sams and the White Rabbit are pretty much the only venues in that area. I had forgotten about Sams. LOL @ Including Olmost Pharmacy though. I mean if that doesn't make my point nothing will.

JudynTX
04-26-2011, 10:15 AM

You forgot Backstage Live, Bonds 007 and Clicks.

Drachen
04-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Just because live music is played there doesn't mean they're a venue, IMO. Most of those places don't have a stage. They basically have an open area - a really small one at a that - where a band can set up and use their amps.

Sams and the White Rabbit are pretty much the only venues in that area. I had forgotten about Sams. LOL @ Including Olmost Pharmacy though. I mean if that doesn't make my point nothing will.

Ok, while I will agree that they are small I do have to LOL at this

Most of those places don't have a stage. They basically have an open area - a really small one at a that - where a band can set up and use their amps.

So the difference between a venue and not a venue is that the open area where the bands can set up is an extra foot above sea level from where the crowd stands?

DisAsTerBot
04-26-2011, 11:41 AM

So the difference between a venue and not a venue is that the open area where the bands can set up is an extra foot above sea level from where the crowd stands?

no the difference is an actual setup, ie sound system, stage, sound guy(s)....not just a dive with a corner for the local trendy band

leemajors
04-26-2011, 11:42 AM

It does indicate a place opened with music in mind as opposed to moving tables out of the way for a local band

ChumpDumper
04-26-2011, 12:15 PM
It does indicate a place opened with music in mind as opposed to moving tables out of the wayA good number of SXSW venues are just that, but the overall point is taken.

MannyIsGod
04-26-2011, 12:18 PM

Well, maybe not just a stage but as has already been posted the sound system, wiring etc etc needed for an actual show. There's a huge difference - to me anyway.

The real point is that you not only need those little places where some dude on a stool jams in a small bar, but you NEED a lot of actual venues to put on a festival the size of SXSW. You can't compare the type of facilities you see in Austin to the Tycoon Flats.

ChumpDumper
04-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Eh, if there's enough space and decent electricity, any place can get a temporary stage and a PA for hire -- most of my SXSW jobs have involved such a setup. That said, there are probably not enough of those kind of venues close enough together to make a SXSW sized event.

leemajors
04-26-2011, 12:58 PM
A good number of SXSW venues are just that, but the overall point is taken.

Agreed.

The Reckoning
04-26-2011, 01:22 PM
i keep up with alot of development projects in the south tx 35 area...and i predict in 20 years san antonio and austin will be twin cities.

san antonio is attempting to make itself more "folky" while austin is becoming more corporate/profit minded and using its "keep austin weird" mentality as advertising.

with close proximity and development projects in both cities being modeled after each other, dont be surprised if both cities will eventually be the same culture-for-profit machine.