PDA

View Full Version : put Splitter on Gasol, let Tim shut down Randolph

poop
04-23-2011, 09:32 PM
this is my advice. it better be heeded. Splitter would do much better defending Gasol than Boner...and then Duncan could totally shut down Milk Dud.

8FOR!3
04-23-2011, 09:32 PM
O rly?

++SaiNt TiAg0++
04-23-2011, 09:33 PM
pop needs to be fired ASAP after we lose this series

Chris
04-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Only way we're going to see Splitter is if we're blowing out the Grizzlies. Pop has zero confidence in him and he's been chained to the doghouse.

poop
04-23-2011, 09:36 PM
He would be a mu h better defender of Pau i mean marc gasol than Boner though. Gasol is just a big huge slow white body just like Splitter, he would do a decent job defending him. and that way if Tim could focus on just defending Milk Dud he could totally shut his ass down.

++SaiNt TiAg0++
04-23-2011, 09:37 PM
dude weve been talking about splitter playing since preseason

ducks
04-23-2011, 09:42 PM
pop did that during regular season
splitter got owned

poop
04-23-2011, 09:42 PM
i havent posted here in months saint tiago. ive never been an advocate of the Great White Hope but in this particular case i think he could help since he would be a good fit against Gasol

Budkin
04-23-2011, 09:48 PM
splitter got owned

I thought we didn't have Tim the game that Splitter started.

stxspurs
04-23-2011, 09:51 PM
splitter on gasol????:lol

Spursmania
04-23-2011, 09:52 PM

As opposed to Bonner on Gasol:lol

fotan2
04-23-2011, 09:53 PM
at least its a better option than putting bonner on gasol

spurtech09
04-23-2011, 11:00 PM
this is my advice. it better be heeded. Splitter would do much better defending Gasol than Boner...and then Duncan could totally shut down Milk Dud.
easy said than done....pop won't do it

spurtech09
04-23-2011, 11:01 PM
at least its a better option than putting bonner on gasol
true:lol

dallasmaverickslose
04-23-2011, 11:04 PM
lets put chris quinn on gasol

Obstructed_View
04-23-2011, 11:09 PM

Not like they don't know each other. They played against each other in Europe, right?

KenziE
04-23-2011, 11:25 PM
not gonna happen long as POP is coaching the spurs

Chomag
04-23-2011, 11:28 PM
Not going to happen because this would make to much sense.

TE
04-24-2011, 01:27 AM
Not going to happen because this would make to much sense.
Exactly. :pop:

ManuBalboa
04-24-2011, 01:32 AM
Nahhhh. Just gotta step up the team defense and shots have to go down. herp derp

DJ Mbenga
04-24-2011, 01:41 AM
pop has bet all his cards on the 3 all year. why would he go away from it. if he is gonna die its die from the 3.

gospursgojas
04-24-2011, 02:03 AM
That would be Pop admitting he was wrong all season long about not needing Tiago.

Not gonna happen

SA210
04-24-2011, 02:47 AM
pop needs to be fired ASAP after we lose this series

SplitterHook
04-24-2011, 05:53 AM
splitter got owned
what the fuck are you talking about?

The game splitter started Gasol had 11 points on 11 shots and 8 rebounds(ZERO offensive rebounds, btw) in 38 minutes

Splitter finished with 7 points on 3-5 from the floor and 5 rebounds (3offensive) in 20 minutes.

dbestpro
04-24-2011, 05:55 AM
Pop has a much confidence in Splitter as the fans do in Pop.

At least Pop is given the chance to prove the fans right, which leads me to the question.

Has there ever been a hall of fame coach, who over two years could be so wrong and the fans be so right?

Ever since small ball and RMJ at PG and RJ at PF, Pop has been a very poor playoff coach.
He use to make adjustments. Not anymore.
He use to make defense priority one. Not anymore.
He use to chew players out. Not anymore.
Playing time was given based off of performance. Not anymore.
He use to hold himself and the players accountable. Noy anymore.
He use to be a great coach. Not anymore.

Josepatches_
04-24-2011, 08:15 AM
splitter got owned

They played a lot of times one against the other in Spain.Gasol got owned too.

Josepatches_
04-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Not like they don't know each other. They played against each other in Europe, right?

And the duel was tied

Even I have to say Splitter wasn't playing at the same level of the last 2 years in Europe.He was young and far away to be as dominant.

Now Splitter seems to be garbage but he was the MVP of the best european league outside Euroleague.Same Marc Gasol or Scola was.It's fucking crazy.

21_Blessings
04-24-2011, 08:37 AM
I guarantee Phil Jackson would be playing Bonner over Tiago.

Stop blaming :pop: for Timmy/Manu/Parker's failure.

wildbill2u
04-24-2011, 08:58 AM
I'm thinking the Splitter Duncan defensive matchups should be Splitter on Randolph and Duncan on Gasol-- simply because of the relative footspeed.

Splitter could matchup better on Randolph in that regard I think.

But we'll probably never know until all the other bigs are used up against Randolph and the series is all but over. Pop is too certain about his lineup preferences to play Splitter.

Spur-Addict
04-24-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm thinking the Splitter Duncan defensive matchups should be Splitter on Randolph and Duncan on Gasol-- simply because of the relative footspeed.

Splitter could matchup better on Randolph in that regard I think.

But we'll probably never know until all the other bigs are used up against Randolph and the series is all but over. Pop is too certain about his lineup preferences to play Splitter.

Randolph isn't doing much facing up, so I don't think foot speed is that relevant here. He's using brute strength. Duncan plays the best defense on Randolph on the low block because of his length and strength combination. The only problem I have, is that I really want to avoid Timmy getting into early foul trouble. I'd like if they gave an early mix of Dice/Splitter on Zach, and let Blair/Bonner matchup with Arthur.

Blair has done a solid job of denying the entry pass to Zach, but once he gets the ball Blair has zero shot at stopping him unless he settles for a jumper.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2011, 10:01 AM

Not only would Jackson be playing Splitter, he'd be starting him next to Duncan and playing them together 25 minutes a game.

21_Blessings
04-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Not only would Jackson be playing Splitter, he'd be starting him next to Duncan and playing them together 25 minutes a game.

Whatever helps you sleep.

You're talking about a man that started Brian Cook, willingly. And Luke Walton. At the same time. Bonner would be a Phil wet dream.

Coaching isn't a problem. It's your washed up, heartless core. Blow it up.

Genjuro
04-24-2011, 10:24 AM
I think Splitter and Gasol had four major face-to-face games back in Spain.

Season 2006/07, Splitter was playing for Tau Vitoria, a team that led the regular season (ended up losing in semifinals against Barcelona), teaming up in the paint with Luis Scola, that season's MVP. Gasol was playing his first season for Akasvayu Girona (weak playoff team) on loan from Barcelona. It was his blossoming campaign after being in Ivanovic's doghouse back in Barcelona.

First game, in Vitoria: http://www.acb.com/fichas/LACB51080.php
- Splitter: 13 points (5/5 FG), 7 rebounds, 24 minutes.
- Gasol: 10 points (5/9 FG), 5 rebounds, 24 minutes.

Second game, in Girona: http://www.acb.com/fichas/LACB51229.php
- Splitter: 20 points (6/16 FG), 10 rebounds, 36 minutes.
- Gasol: 16 points (5/6 FG), 13 rebounds, 2 blocks, 29 minutes.

Season 2007/08, Scola leaves Tau, and Splitter remains as the team anchor in the paint as they win the ACB League. Gasol becomes the league's MVP and his team enters again in the playoffs for another early exit (of course Tau teams were much stronger than Akasvayu's).

First game, in Girona: http://www.acb.com/fichas/LACB52004.php
- Splitter: 14 points (6/11 FG), 9 rebounds, 30 minutes.
- Gasol: 10 points (3/11 FG), 4 rebounds, 28 minutes.

Second game, in Vitoria: http://www.acb.com/fichas/LACB52187.php
- Splitter: 13 points (4/8 FG), 4 rebounds, 24 minutes.
- Gasol: 19 points (9/13 FG), 4 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 blocks, 37 minutes.

For me it is obvious that Splitter should at least get a try on these series when Duncan is on the bench, particularly in the place of Blair, who looks extremely overwhelmed by the Grizzlies size.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2011, 10:30 AM

You're talking about a man that started Brian Cook, willingly. And Luke Walton. At the same time. Bonner would be a Phil wet dream.

How many times did that happen? Five? Over two years? For a team that won 42 and 45 games and had no discipline? Who was better? Laron Profit? Devean George? Yeah, that compares to leaving a completely healthy seven footer on the bench while the Spurs get gutted by the opposing front line. Makes perfect sense now. :rolleyes

SplitterHook
04-24-2011, 11:11 AM

lol this is a joke, right? Phil is old school. he doesn't even have plays set up for 3s. He would never ever play a a bigman who plays like SG over a defensive center that plays like a defensive center.

Never.

Lamar is 500x better than bonner and he can play D, rebounds very well, he's also lakers most skilled big, with the best handles, etc, etc, etc but when Bynum is Healthy he's the one starting over Odom.

SplitterHook
04-24-2011, 11:16 AM

wtf is your point? Cook played during lakers' darkest age after shaq left. Luke is nothing alike Bonner.

Walton was lakers Point Forward when he was playing heavy minutes. He was never a good shooter. He was on the court because he played good D, hustled, kept the triangle running, was a great playmaker and had a very high Bball IQ.

Bonner is on the floor because he shots the 3 very well, that's it. Nothing else.

IronMaxipad
04-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Phil doesn't play rookies idiots. Guarantee you Bonner would be ahead of Splitter if phil was the coach.

namlook
04-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Splitter vs Gasol looks like a bad matchup for the Spurs

http://www.nba.com/statscube/player-vs-player.html#Tiago-Splitter-vs-Marc-Gasol|201168,201188;season=r (http://www.nba.com/statscube/player-vs-player.html#Tiago-Splitter-vs-Marc-Gasol%7C201168,201188;season=r)

duncan228
04-24-2011, 02:17 PM
Pop called Zach Randolph's positioning ability on rebounds "Rodman-like."

Obstructed_View
04-24-2011, 05:24 PM
By the way folks, Duncan played way more against Randolph in game three, look up and suddenly Zach had 25. Not like he scored all of those points against Duncan (he didn't), but I don't think Duncan shut him down.

DPG21920
04-24-2011, 05:27 PM
He bullied Tim on quite a few occasions.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Phil doesn't play rookies idiots. Guarantee you Bonner would be ahead of Splitter if phil was the coach.

Number of playoff appearances for Jordan Farmar as a rookie: 5 in five games.

Number of playoff appearances for Ronny Turiaf as a rookie: 3 in seven games, averaged 19 minutes per appearance.

Number of playoff appearances for ANDREW BYNUM his rookie year, when he was like fourteen years old: 1 in seven games.

Wait, it gets better...

Number of playoff appearances for Brian Cook and Luke Walton their rookie year: 13 and 17 of 22 playoff games, respectively.

dunkman
04-24-2011, 09:27 PM
Dice was playing well, but he was in foul trouble all the game. Hopefully his injury at the end of the game isn't serious.

Duncan and Dice dominated the boards in game 3. Bonner was awful in game 3, but he did a decent job in the first two games.

Splitter would do better, however it seems Pop never trained with Duncan at PF and Splitter at C.

I'm not sure why he isn't playing.

My guess Pop is still mad at him, because he went to play internationally, instead of training with the Spurs where he got injured to miss the pre-season.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2011, 09:38 PM
My guess Pop is still mad at him, because he went to play internationally, instead of training with the Spurs where he got injured to miss the pre-season.

Well, a humiliating first round playoff exit should teach him. I'm sure Nazr isn't shooting threes at the end of the shot clock anymore.