PDA

View Full Version : Defense is not the problem

TDfan2007
04-23-2011, 09:50 PM
This team can't shoot...period. Manu's elbow is jacked up so he's a liability with his shot, Tony can't shoot, Hill's been off, Bonner...well...he's fucking Bonner, and Neal hasn't been able to hit his 3s or floaters.

Much of the Spurs shooting woes are due to Memphis' fantastic defense, but the rest is just our guys missing good open looks. I lost count of how many open 3s they missed in the 2nd half.

With Manu not at 100%, and the offense basically ignoring Tim in the 4th quarter, this team is going nowhere without a more effective Tony Parker. In order for Tony to be more effective, and have the room he needs to attack the basket, our shooters have to keep the defense honest. They haven't thus far.

Unless some shots start falling for our guys, this series will be over in 5, 6 games max.

I want to know what you guys would do with the offense. Keep the game plan and hope shots fall, or try something different?

I'd also like to point out that I've never seen an 8 seed execute this well. Hollins has done a fantastic job with this Grizzlies team. They don't get rattled, they don't beat themselves. They just keep playing hard.

Bito Corleone
04-23-2011, 09:53 PM
But that is exactly why defense is the problem.The Spurs have had plenty of teams in the past that were terrible on the offensive end, but it never mattered because teams couldn't score on them anyway. The Spurs used to be able to routinely win games when shooting 42-45%...that is not the case anymore.

TDfan2007
04-23-2011, 10:09 PM
But that is exactly why defense is the problem.The Spurs have had plenty of teams in the past that were terrible on the offensive end, but it never mattered because teams couldn't score on them anyway. The Spurs used to be able to routinely win games when shooting 42-45%...that is not the case anymore.

They held memphis to 91 points on 42% shooting. That should be good enough.

Obstructed_View
04-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Best defense the Spurs have played in a while. Gotta figure that they're going to snap out of the shooting funk and blow this team out. If not, then it's on the players.

ElNono
04-23-2011, 10:10 PM

Should've held them to 41%... that's what good defensive teams do... our 1st quarter put a lot of pressure on our offense... we played catchup the entire game...

ducks
04-23-2011, 10:11 PM
tp is playing bad
but he also is getting no help with people hitting threes

TampaDude
For the fucking eighty fucking trillionth time, fucking Pop FUCKED US by fucking getting Manu fucking hurt in a fucking meaningless fucking game in fucking Game 82 against the fucking Suns.

Warlord23

They had a good second half on defense. In the first half, the Grizz shot >50% and built up a double digit lead.

Even with that they could've won if someone could have shot a couple of threes, and Parker could've refrained from playing his worst playoff game ever, considering who he was up against.

ducks
04-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Should've held them to 41%... that's what good defensive teams do... our 1st quarter put a lot of pressure on our offense... we played catchup the entire game...

but tp hardly played and spurs were so much better when he was on bench

DJ Mbenga
04-23-2011, 10:15 PM
its a drive and kick offense. so the grizz just defend it force the penetration for floaters. in the half court duncan doesnt command a double team so those spot up shooters are useless standing doing nothing.

Budkin
04-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Said it in another thread but there is no way TP can play bad for 4 games in a row. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong but there is no way.

spurtech09
04-23-2011, 10:17 PM
tp not playing good basketball,manu not 100%,bench not playing well,and now dice hurt....things are not looking good for the spurs....now were going to see alot of bonner and blair....I doubt splitter is going to play either with dice hurting......

TDfan2007
04-23-2011, 10:37 PM
It would help if Tim got more than 11 shots up. The offense AGAINST MEMPHIS runs better when he's initiating it. Memphis' pick and roll defense has been amazing, but they're having trouble guarding the off-ball motion that occurs when Tim gets the ball on the wing or the top of the key.

I said it to start the series, but Tim needed to take at least 16 FGAs a game for us to win, otherwise Gasol/Randolph get virtually a free pass defensively. Pop and the guys are too stupid to realize this though so we'll just get a repeat of today and hopefully someone can hit an outside shot.