PDA

View Full Version : Initial Reaction: Spurs @ Grizzlies - Game 3

timvp
04-23-2011, 10:02 PM
The Spurs played like trash for most of the night in Game 3. With the Grizzlies feeling the pressure in the second half, the Spurs were able to make a late run. However, perhaps fittingly, San Antonio collapsed when it mattered most and Memphis won 91-88 to take a 2-1 series lead. Game 4 is Monday night in Tennessee.

-Tim Duncan had a slow start to the game. He wasn't moving well -- and that was before he tweaked his ankle. As the game went along, Duncan began to play much better. His defense, specifically, was at a high level. Offensively, he was really passing the ball well -- as evident by his six assists and no turnovers. He finished the game with 13 points, 11 rebounds and five blocks in an effort that could have been good enough.

-Manu Ginobili wasn't able to replicate his Supermanu effort from Game 2, though he still gave the Spurs a lot. He battled his way to 14 free throw attempts -- hitting 12. His elbow was obviously limiting him, most notably when he was handling the ball in pick-and-rolls. Ginobili also made some big mistakes down the stretch of the game. First, he roamed too far away from O.J. Mayo and gave up a three-pointer. On the final play of the game, Ginboili inexplicably didn't know how much time was left and the Spurs weren't able to get off a shot to try to tie the game.

-I have no idea what is wrong with Tony Parker. He's getting worse and worse as the series progresses -- and he started off the series playing poorly. Now he's a total mess. He can't hit shots in the lane consistently, his jumper is broken and simple acts such as catching the ball or dribbling it up the court are now adventures. Defensively, he hasn't done anything of note. Parker getting routinely outplayed by Mike Conley is a shocking subplot to this series. It's also the main reason why the Spurs are dangerously close to an embarrassing postseason exit.

-Richard Jefferson was extremely efficient in the first two games of the series. In Game 3, he was the opposite. Granted, he didn't get many touches, but he was clueless when he actually got the ball in his hands. There's was just way too much uncertainty in his game; you can't have that come playoff time. Defensively, Jefferson was decent. But considering he has the easiest matchups on that end of the court, he could definitely make more of an impact.

-Like Duncan, Antonio McDyess began slowly. But he too improved as the game progressed. He grabbed ten boards in 28 minutes and played solid post defense in the last three quarters. Offensively, he was much better than he was in the first two games -- scoring eight points on 4-for-7 shooting. Late in the game, McDyess left due to injury. Let's hope he's ready to go in Game 4. If he isn't, the mismatches in Memphis' favor become even more flagrant.

-George Hill was extremely hit and miss. At some points, he was a huge asset. At other points, he was making rookie mistakes or playing too soft. With Parker struggling, it'd be great if Hill could pick up the slack. Instead, net-net, Hill is adding to the struggles.

-Matt Bonner came back down to earth. His defense, which was a strength in Game 2, was a major liability in Game 3. The Grizzlies sought him out and went at him on that end of the court. Bonner's toughness got better later in the game, and his rebounding was a plus, but he definitely didn't play anywhere near his capabilities. On offense, Bonner missed both of his three-pointers and his court vision was atrocious.

-Gary Neal tried to help jumpstart the offense -- but ended up furthering the stagnation. He missed 7-of-9 shots from the field and seemed a bit too excited. To his credit, he rebounded well and made a couple fine passes. But honestly, this series may come down to whether or not Neal can steal a game with his explosiveness.

-DeJuan Blair didn't aid San Antonio's cause in his ten minutes of action. He was gambling too much defensively and finished the game without a defensive rebound. Blair was decent on the offensive end but that didn't make up for the rest of his shortcomings.

-First of all, I have no idea what Pop was thinking when he didn't call timeout on that final possession. With three timeouts left, that should have been an automatic timeout in every situation. Big mistake and unforgivable in the postseason. I also didn't agree with putting Bonner on Gasol. I'd rather him defend Randolph with double-team help than watch Bonner get overwhelmed by Gasol's size. Pop also showed uncertainty with his unsteady substitutions. Part of the reason the team couldn't get a rhythm was because the lineups were never consistent. Going forward, Pop needs to find combinations that will work against the Grizzlies. And do so quickly before this 61-win season comes crumbling down.

ducks
04-23-2011, 10:08 PM
manu unable to close cost the spurs
and tp poor play in the first half

hopefully the spurs are due to make threes

law of averages

IknowU
04-23-2011, 10:11 PM
Its too late.

All I want now is answers from Pop, I don't care about winning anymore.

I would like to see him justify his coaching with the results we have been getting.

He had a whole season to do that while coasting along. Come playoffs what has he done to make the team better on the defensive/offensive end?

Kermit
04-23-2011, 10:12 PM

law of averages

One armed player > French version of 1919 White Sox

MaNu4Tres
04-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Apparently Parker was out late Wednesday night ("popping bottles"), celebrating a game 2 victory with his posse.

It sure showed tonight. (Even though it was 2-3 days ago)

He's the real reason why Spurs are down 2-1.

benefactor
04-23-2011, 10:15 PM

law of averages
manu playing with won arm
what is excuse for Tony.

TampaDude
04-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Apparently Parker was out late Wednesday night ("popping bottles"), celebrating a game 1 victory with his posse.

He's the real reason why Spurs are down 2-1. FWIW

The Spurs lost Game 1. Fail.

Capt Bringdown
04-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Not calling a TO on that last play is mind-blowing when you consider that Basketball is these guy's bread and butter. We keep seeing over and over again that this team does not have playoff focus.

El Contusion II
04-23-2011, 10:17 PM
I couldn't agree more.. Good read after a frustrating night.

TDMVPDPOY
lol ducks trying to lessen tps blame...seriously man what game are you watchin

MaNu4Tres
The Spurs lost Game 1. Fail.

Game 2 is what I meant.

Nice catch. :tu

SpurOutofTownFan
04-23-2011, 10:19 PM
man i just wont call out names but a certain person in this thread is calling out manu for the loss. come on... really?

Capt Bringdown
04-23-2011, 10:19 PM
Of all playoff teams, are the Spurs playing the worst basketball right now? We are the 1st seed after all.

++SaiNt TiAg0++
04-23-2011, 10:21 PM
^ well that makes sense hungover explains why he looked like he was out of it. haha

but damn this team is in some deep shit ahaha its funny cause being a big spurs fan i want to see them win but when they lose theres also a good side to it... its what made people start realizing pop has lost his mind and im not crazy after all ....

maybe this team needs to get kicked out of the first round in order to get pop fired, and get timmys some real help. not have a military process only to crumble in the playoffs due to lack of talent and playing your best players .

pop is a control freak and loves any type of control well i hope they show him how it feels and give him the axe for us spurs fans

Chomag
04-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Said this in another thread. Games are now going to be played every-other day. If Spurs are looking this fatigued now then I hate to see how they will look the next few games.

Budkin
04-23-2011, 10:22 PM
We needed this game badly, but we have another shot Monday.

timvp
04-23-2011, 10:22 PM
Apparently Parker was out late Wednesday night ("popping bottles"), celebrating a game 2 victory with his posse.

I can blame TP for a lot -- but not that. What percentage of single NBA players hit the club after a win when they have three days off upcoming? 90%? Trying to blame him for that is nitpicking, especially with how much wrong he's doing between the lines.

ElNono
04-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Looks like Hollins is on to something with that tanking to get the Spurs thing...

DPG21920
04-23-2011, 10:24 PM
This is shades of Dallas/GS. I don't see anything major the Spurs can do as far as adjustments go, do you? Pick up the pace and have our best players play at their playoff level.

Does no one else think that our best players playing regular season minutes while Memphis is pounding the Spurs with 40+ minutes of theirs isn't a big contributor to the struggles?

TDMVPDPOY
04-23-2011, 10:26 PM
the question pop resting duncan too long, fkn u have 2-3 day game breaks, its not a fkn b2b game......

ElNono
04-23-2011, 10:26 PM
We're just playing scared, bottom line... it's an attitude problem... the other team can try to bully you all they want, but if you let them rattle you, then it's also your fault. I don't know if it's because of the big expectations coming into the post-season after the 60+ wins season or what, but it's inexcusable... last season we were outhustled and bullied by the Suns too, and we took it in style... we need to show more fight.

MaNu4Tres
04-23-2011, 10:27 PM
I can blame TP for a lot -- but not that. What percentage of single NBA players hit the club after a win when they have three days off upcoming? 90%? Trying to blame him for that is nitpicking, especially with how much wrong he's doing between the lines.

I blamed him for the Spurs being down 2-1.

He's been pathetic. (Whether going out to a club or not)

* Even though I believe going out clubbing effects a players production on the court to some degree. IMO

TD 21
04-23-2011, 10:27 PM

He's the real reason why Spurs are down 2-1.

Don't let the genius coach off the hook that easily. Bonner on Gasol is an insane match-up. No other coach in the league would have the audacity to try it, let alone with the game, maybe the series and almost certainly any chance at a championship (and more than likely the final chance for this team), hanging in the balance.

I'm as sick of typing it as many are about hearing about it, but it's too glaring to not be repeated yet again. It's beyond comprehension that Splitter, their second best and second biggest big, is not playing. Rip Parker, Bonner, the offense in general all you want. This team has been getting destroyed by the Grizzlies from three all season, despite the fact that they're the fourth worst three point shooting team in the league. When it happens repeatedly, it's not coincidence. They're having to double far too much and are giving up clean looks to an extremely limited group of perimeter players. If Splitter's guarding Gasol, I doubt he looks like an All-Star and more importantly, they wouldn't have to constantly be doubling him or Randolph. Because Splitter on Gasol allows Duncan to guard Randolph.

ElNono
04-23-2011, 10:28 PM
This is shades of Dallas/GS. I don't see anything major the Spurs can do as far as adjustments go, do you? Pick up the pace and have our best players play at their playoff level.

Does no one else think that our best players playing regular season minutes while Memphis is pounding the Spurs with 40+ minutes of theirs isn't a big contributor to the struggles?

Season on the line now. Extended rest coming up if we don't man up for the next game.

Sean Cagney
Ducks TP is healthy as hell out there and playing flat out horrible, MANU has one arm! He is still outplaying Tony by alot. Tony is playing like a rookie or a finals 05 TONY who got sat.

Ice009

law of averages

Like I said fuck off and take TP with you.

Chomag
What I find scary is the only game Spurs have won so far could have gone either way. Nothing has been decisive at all yet and Spurs are running out of time.

timvp
04-23-2011, 10:29 PM

The Spurs can't expect to get more than 36 quality minutes out of a 35-year-old Tim Duncan. Ginobili, especially one-handed, can't be expected to play much more than 35 minutes. TP was in foul trouble and has sucked so far this series so ...

Personally, I don't have an issue with the minutes. Duncan and Ginobili can max out at about 36 minutes and still somewhat have their legs at the end. Any more than that and it'd be pushing it. Besides, the way this team is built, they were always going to live or day by their depth.

pgardn
04-23-2011, 10:30 PM
I dont think the timeout is a huge deal. You give the defense a chance to get set as well. Look what happened in game #1. We got absolutely lucky that the ball basically fell to RJ who was not an option. The play completely broke down and I think most do as the D can get set. If we break down the floor we might have more of a chance of getting an open 3 . But Ginobili gets trapped on the sideline which is where you dont want to be with the ball unless you are wide open and a pass is coming your way.

The killer was the Randolph 3. The rest was desperation.

Acchhh. Live a die with Manu, one never knows. As poorly as we played we dont deserve this one.

Obstructed_View
I also didn't agree with putting Bonner on Gasol. I'd rather him defend Randolph with double-team help than watch Bonner get overwhelmed by Gasol's size.

You know what? I'm sick of avoiding it, and I'm just going to say it: Duncan really plays well against Randolph. How nice would it be to put Splitter on Gasol?

SpursDynasty
Lol at SpursTalk thinking the Grizzlies are going to win the series.

Zach Randolph might want to hold off on the dancing when the job is only half done.

Fabbs
-I have no idea what is wrong with Tony Parker. He's getting worse and worse as the series progresses -- and he started off the series playing poorly. Now he's a total mess. He can't hit shots in the lane consistently, his jumper is broken and simple acts such as catching the ball or dribbling it up the court are now adventures. Defensively, he hasn't done anything of note. Parker getting routinely outplayed by Mike Conley is a shocking subplot to this series. It's also the main reason why the Spurs are dangerously close to an embarrassing postseason exit.
Gambling issues?

I don't know either, just trying to make sense of this. A lot of the plays he has made all year just look.....funny....strange....sometimes even scripted.

redzero
04-23-2011, 10:31 PM
http://stevengoddard.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/bender.jpg

Obstructed_View
04-23-2011, 10:32 PM
The Spurs can't expect to get more than 36 quality minutes out of a 35-year-old Tim Duncan. Ginobili, especially one-handed, can't be expected to play much more than 35 minutes. TP was in foul trouble and has sucked so far this series so ...

Personally, I don't have an issue with the minutes. Duncan and Ginobili can max out at about 36 minutes and still somewhat have their legs at the end. Any more than that and it'd be pushing it. Besides, the way this team is built, they were always going to live or day by their depth.

I understand what you're saying, and this isn't really directed toward you, but what the fuck were they playing 30 minutes per game all season for? When Pop puts in Blair when they're down ten because it's the same time he brought in Blair before, you have to wonder what the hell is going through the man's head.

MaNu4Tres
04-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Don't let the genius coach off the hook that easily. Bonner on Gasol is an insane match-up. No other coach in the league would have the audacity to try it, let alone with the game, maybe the series and almost certainly any chance at a championship (and more than likely the final chance for this team), hanging in the balance.

I'm as sick of typing it as many are about hearing about it, but it's too glaring to not be repeated yet again. It's beyond comprehension that Splitter, their second best and second biggest big, is not playing. Rip Parker, Bonner, the offense in general all you want. This team has been getting destroyed by the Grizzlies from three all season, despite the fact that they're the fourth worst three point shooting team in the league. When it happens repeatedly, it's not coincidence. They're having to double far too much and are giving up clean looks to an extremely limited group of perimeter players. If Splitter's guarding Gasol, I doubt he looks like an All-Star and more importantly, they wouldn't have to constantly be doubling him or Randolph. Because Splitter on Gasol allows Duncan to guard Randolph.

You don't have to convince me, I agree wholeheartedly.

I've been pro-Splitter since Day uno.

DPG21920
Why are the Spurs the only team in the league where you cant play your best players more than 36 mpg without them being completely ineffective?

Also, as shitty as it sounds, spurs just have to hit shots in order to win. There are no curveballs here.

roycrikside
As much as we'd love to rip Bonner, this game wasn't lost on the defensive end. Memphis finished with 91 points and 43% shooting. Those are winning numbers for us. We did a good job on the boards, and our 13 turnovers weren't an excessive number by any stretch.

We lost this game on offense, specifically two reasons:

1) Our three point shooters (Neal, Bonner, Hill, Jefferson) were terrible. The team that has shot a higher % from three has won all three games, and one would've thought going into the series that area would've been a huge advantage for us.

2) Parker has been absolute dog shit. He needs to be carrying the team. He has the biggest mismatch. Conley's not a great defender. He's the youngest of the big three and the healthiest. He really has no excuse to be playing this poorly. If he was playing even average we'd be up 3-0.

I was hoping that Dice's injury would be a mixed blessing and that it would force Pop to play Splitter, but now it looks like he'll play game 4. :-( That's too bad, because with the offense so limited right now we might have to hold the Grizzlies in the low 80s to win.

I think Tony Allen purposefully re-injured Manu's elbow. He can't even raise his right arm anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if they shut him down really. Looks like it just wasn't meant to be. That's the really shitty thing about this game. Maybe if we stole a win they could've rested him for Game 4 and unleashed him for Game 5. Alas.

Obstructed_View
04-23-2011, 10:34 PM
I dont think the timeout is a huge deal. You give the defense a chance to get set as well.

When you need a three, you don't try to get it on the fast break.

NewJerSpur
04-23-2011, 10:34 PM
-Gary Neal tried to help jumpstart the offense -- but ended up furthering the stagnation. He missed 7-of-9 shots from the field and seemed a bit too excited. To his credit, he rebounded well and made a couple fine passes. But honestly, this series may come down to whether or not Neal can steal a game with his explosiveness.

This is particularly concerning, as it appears Neal is hitting the rookie wall offensively. His jumper all season has been a release valve for the Spurs expected lulls in offense, but now he's missing wide open shots. He's got to find the stroke to take the pressure off the rest of the team when they shadow tpony and double Manu off of the screen. I like him going for the shot fake and running it in, but he's got to hit those long distaance shots and make smarter plays when he is in the lane.

ducks
04-23-2011, 10:37 PM
This is particularly concerning, as it appears Neal is hitting the rookie wall offensively. His jumper all season has been a release valve for the Spurs expected lulls in offense, but now he's missing wide open shots. He's got to find the stroke to take the pressure off the rest of the team when they shadow tpony and double Manu off of the screen. I like him going for the shot fake and running it in, but he's got to hit those long distaance shots and make smarter plays when he is in the lane.

DING DING DING

but if pop was playing splitter you would be saying the same thing

NewJerSpur
04-23-2011, 10:39 PM
DING DING DING

but if pop was playing splitter you would be saying the same thing

Splitter needs to make long distance shots?

Chomag
04-23-2011, 10:40 PM
One big thing I would like to know is what the hell is with Neal going all Roger Mason jr. on us for the playoffs?

4>0rings
04-23-2011, 10:41 PM
You can't expect any team to win unless their starters play up to par and so far none of the starters sans Duncan(barely) is playing anything close to par.

ElNono
04-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Neal played with balls out there... I can't fault him for that, and it's night and day from RMJ... We need more Neals in this team, tbh

spursbird
04-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Is TP injured?

TD 21
04-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Why are the Spurs the only team in the league where you cant play your best players more than 36 mpg without them being completely ineffective?

Also, as shitty as it sounds, spurs just have to hit shots in order to win. There are no curveballs here.

I know. Allen's old ass runs ragged throughout games, yet he averaged 36 per game I believe and routinely plays 40+. Pierce plays big minutes. Bryant still does when he has to. Gasol's been ran into the ground since the day they acquired him. Yet no one on this team can play more than 36? As if they'd die. Sure, their effectiveness is likely to wane, but what were their minutes managed for all season if they're still not going to play huge minutes when needed in the playoffs? It's obvious this team can't rely on their bench yet again. Their only chance is going to be running their starters into the ground and inserting Splitter into the rotation. Unfortunately, this coach is too arrogant, stubborn and stupid, for either to happen.

wildbill2u
04-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Tp having trouble bringing the ball up the court and maintaining control of the ball? WTF?

Splits
04-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Their only chance is going to be running their starters into the ground and inserting Splitter into the rotation.

:lmao:lmao:lmao

As if that is a winning formula!

DPG21920
04-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Watching TP struggle is like watching a catcher that inexplicably can't throw the ball back to the pitcher and completely melts down. It's that alarming. I have never seen anything like that from TP.

pjjrfan
04-23-2011, 10:48 PM
We're just playing scared, bottom line... it's an attitude problem... the other team can try to bully you all they want, but if you let them rattle you, then it's also your fault. I don't know if it's because of the big expectations coming into the post-season after the 60+ wins season or what, but it's inexcusable... last season we were outhustled and bullied by the Suns too, and we took it in style... we need to show more fight.

I think this is true. Espcially Hill, Blair and Bonner. These 3 guys are just not playing the same way they did at the beginning,

mingus
04-23-2011, 10:49 PM
As much as we'd love to rip Bonner, this game wasn't lost on the defensive end. Memphis finished with 91 points and 43% shooting. Those are winning numbers for us. We did a good job on the boards, and our 13 turnovers weren't an excessive number by any stretch.

We lost this game on offense, specifically two reasons:

1) Our three point shooters (Neal, Bonner, Hill, Jefferson) were terrible. The team that has shot a higher % from three has won all three games, and one would've thought going into the series that area would've been a huge advantage for us.

2) Parker has been absolute dog shit. He needs to be carrying the team. He has the biggest mismatch. Conley's not a great defender. He's the youngest of the big three and the healthiest. He really has no excuse to be playing this poorly. If he was playing even average we'd be up 3-0.

I was hoping that Dice's injury would be a mixed blessing and that it would force Pop to play Splitter, but now it looks like he'll play game 4. :-( That's too bad, because with the offense so limited right now we might have to hold the Grizzlies in the low 80s to win.

I think Tony Allen purposefully re-injured Manu's elbow. He can't even raise his right arm anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if they shut him down really. Looks like it just wasn't meant to be. That's the really shitty thing about this game. Maybe if we stole a win they could've rested him for Game 4 and unleashed him for Game 5. Alas.

you coudn't be more wrong about that. the Spurs were BETTER than the Grizzlies for 3 quarters in terms of point total. They played 3 QUARTERS of solid defense. it was the 1st quarter that was killer. KILLER. the Spurs dug themselves a whole in the 1st quarter due to playing horrid defense. the Spurs tried to claw themselves out of this hole the entire game. turd towers had a lot to do with that & Parker had a couple of defensive mistakes in that 1st quarter. make no mistake, the lack of defense killed this team. it just so happened that it was in the 1st quarter and it coincided with Matt Bonner coming into the game and the Grizz straight disrespecting him. they scored like 11 straight points at one point in the 1st quarter IIRC.

MaNu4Tres
04-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Besides, the way this team is built, they were always going to live or day by their depth.

Or live and die by their coach's use of personnel.

Not playing Splitter is beyond mind-boggling.

And I don't want to hear how he's "not ready". Or how he hasn't had enough time to generate signficant "corporate knowledge".

It's basketball. And Splitter has played a lot of it.

In his career, Splitter has played in more meaningful games and played more meaningful minutes than both Bonner and Blair combined.

Using the " he's not ready" card, is just an excuse to cover up the part of Pop's brain that died in May of 2006.

Killakobe81
04-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Spurs lost this game by 3 and lost Game one, on a 3 ...

Series far from over.

But a loss here (series) will hurt, you wont be able to clown the Mavs fans for Gstate if you do the same ...

ploto
04-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Could it be that Tony really is not good enough to carry a team as its best player? With TD at the age of 35 and Manu with one arm, Tony has to be able to carry the team, and he just has not done it. When you watch the games being put together by so many other players in the league, Tony looks like a scrub in comparison.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-23-2011, 10:56 PM
One comment though about the ability to hit the 3s. The problem with that isn't the guys that usually hit them not hitting them anymore. The 3s the Spurs usually got where from elaborated plays which they seem to have lost completely.

There is no more ball movement anymore etc. If you want to know what I mean go back and watch the Spurs Miami game a couple months ago in San Antonio. Obviously that was a crazy game but then the Spurs were playing good rotational basketball and that helps you settle for 3s etc.

The Spurs are basically not attempting the 3s as much as they did during the season - one reason for that I believe it's the ball movement which is lost - for the last 3 games the Spurs have virtually played with no PG or backup PG.

NewJerSpur
04-23-2011, 10:57 PM

Series far from over.

But a loss here (series) will hurt, you wont be able to clown the Mavs fans for Gstate if you do the same ...

It would still happen, it's the nature of things, but they'd just be able to go back in forth in that regard. Nevertheless, agree with the first half Killa.

DPG21920
04-23-2011, 10:57 PM
Could it be that Tony really is not good enough to carry a team as its best player? With TD at the age of 35 and Manu with one arm, Tony has to be able to carry the team, and he just has not done it. When you watch the games being put together by so many other players in the league, Tony looks like a scrub in comparison.

Except we've seen TP deliver before.

timvp
04-23-2011, 11:00 PM

The Spurs have just needed Parker to play at his normal level. Or at least even 90% of it.

Strike
04-23-2011, 11:01 PM

Series far from over.

Thing is, the reason why it's come down to a Battier 3 and a Randolph 3 is because the Spurs are not playing well. It's one thing to have a couple bad shooting nights. Shit happens that way. The Spurs are just stinking up the joint with their mental mistakes, stupid turnovers, soft play, and Pop's subpar coaching.

timvp
04-23-2011, 11:03 PM
Is TP injured?

I don't want to make an excuse for him but he was complaining of a chest cold against the Suns in the last game of the season. I doubt he's still sick ... although his crappy level of play kinda does look like how he played against the Suns that game.

Chances are he's just in a horribly timed slump.

TDfan2007
04-23-2011, 11:11 PM
why are the spurs the only team in the league where you cant play your best players more than 36 mpg without them being completely ineffective?

+100000000000000000000000000000000

DPG21920
04-23-2011, 11:14 PM
What I find amazing is the Spurs out rebounding the Grizz in every game and down 2-1

Wu36
04-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Spurs started crappy. TP again was crappy. I'd like to see a few of Bonners minutes go to Splitter even if its only 6 to 8 on Gasol. But they made it close and 1 in Memphis is all they need. Second half was better but for sure not great. I was just wondering since I've just moved to what I consider a hick town. Was there sound delay in in last seconds. Reason I ask was though Manu was trapped and had no shot, the basket lights went off as well as the buzzer while .05 was on the clock. Wouldn't have changed the out come just thought it was odd.

TD 21
04-23-2011, 11:20 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao

As if that is a winning formula!

For this team, it's going to have to be. Or they can keep playing the bench significant minutes and watch as they fail to produce, just as they did last season in the playoffs.

Splits
04-23-2011, 11:23 PM
After watching each game in this series, I feel like I just woke up out of a deep sleep and the woman next to me is not my wife, but she calls me sweetie and acts like my wife. But I've never met her before... and I want my wife back.

WalterBenitez
04-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Too many mistakes, lack of effort.

TP is really having a bad serie; Manu is injured, TD is in slow motion and well this season is going to finish soon.

baseline bum
04-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Parker is the difference in this series. The team still goes as he does. I can't believe he has been so worthless these first three games.

baseline bum
04-23-2011, 11:39 PM

Series far from over.

Dallas 2007 will never stop being funny. That was supposed to be the year they rang, while everyone knew the Spurs were a pretty lousy 1-seed coming into this playoffs.

Chomag
04-23-2011, 11:41 PM
I expect we will see Splitter sometime in this series, when it's to late to matter anymore (aka Ghill rookie season) So yea seeing him play will be a bad thing.

Killakobe81
04-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Thing is, the reason why it's come down to a Battier 3 and a Randolph 3 is because the Spurs are not playing well. It's one thing to have a couple bad shooting nights. Shit happens that way. The Spurs are just stinking up the joint with their mental mistakes, stupid turnovers, soft play, and Pop's subpar coaching.

My guess is Parker will snap out of it ...

I freely admit I did not see the whole game only the 4th quarter ...

But Manu wincing and limiting the use of his right hand is a HUGE problem ...all these games will be close ... and when healthy you have a closer that is not quite Kobe/Wade but is title proven. Manu at less than 100% you guys may neat Grizz, but I doubt you can get much further. Pray for his return to health ...

Cessation
04-23-2011, 11:53 PM
At the end of first quarter ginger came in and fucked up 3 plays in a row. Grizz went on a 10-0 run, what else is new?

crc21209
04-24-2011, 12:00 AM
This series is all on TP, the Spurs bench, and stupid costly mistakes. If Parker would just get his head out of his ass everything would be fine. Add to the fact that Hill, Neal,and Bonner arent making shit off the bench, and that they are carelessly throwing the ball out of bounds or to the Grizzlies over and over again. IMO, the Spurs are beating themselves. While Memphis may be able to score at will in the paint, as bad as the Spurs played tonight and in Game 1, they had a chance to win BOTH games, only to fall short....

toki9
04-24-2011, 12:17 AM
I don't want to make an excuse for him but he was complaining of a chest cold against the Suns in the last game of the season. I doubt he's still sick ... although his crappy level of play kinda does look like how he played against the Suns that game.

Chances are he's just in a horribly timed slump.

Or maybe he's got mono...

TacoCabanaFajitas
04-24-2011, 12:22 AM
I expect we will see Splitter sometime in this series, when it's to late to matter anymore (aka Ghill rookie season) So yea seeing him play will be a bad thing.

This is exactly what was running through my head halfway through the 2nd quarter. I remember the same bullshit being talked about Hill when Dallas was raping us and Roger Mason was sucking cock. Everyone was saying Hill wasn't ready/Pop has his reasons/blahblahblah then he came in and lit it up and possibly would have tilted the series our way had he been involved from the start. I can see us being down 3-1 and halfway through the 5th game Pop decides to throw Splitter out there finally. Sad.

duncan228
04-24-2011, 12:31 AM
Is SpursTalk the 'angry posters on a message board'? :lol

...McDyess has been the most effective of the San Antonio defenders against Randolph and Marc Gasol. If he can’t play, it will alter the rotation and really limit San Antonio’s interior defense. But it might make those angry posters on the message boards and the chat rooms happy in at least one sense. Tiago Splitter might be forced to get his first playing time of the series if McDyess can’t play.

Five quick thoughts: What has happened to Tony Parker? (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/04/23/five-quick-thoughts-what-has-happened-to-tony-parker/)
Tim Griffin

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/04/23/five-quick-thoughts-what-has-happened-to-tony-parker/

Obstructed_View
04-24-2011, 12:42 AM
<<<Original "Angry Poster".

Thank you, thank you.

Except that Dice has been far from the most effective of the San Antonio defenders against Randolph and Gasol. How quickly we forget #21.

TE
04-24-2011, 12:45 AM
wtf. Ducks, dude, Conley is outplaying TP and you are still that insanely blind?

Dude, it's mike conley we're talking about.

Mike fucking Conley.

Sean Cagney
04-24-2011, 01:00 AM
wtf. Ducks, dude, Conley is outplaying TP and you are still that insanely blind?

Dude, it's mike conley we're talking about.

Mike fucking Conley...................

Borosai
04-24-2011, 01:27 AM
The Spurs are playing the game they've played all season, and now it's failing, just like it failed for the Mavs and Suns for years. I'm disappointed, but not completely surprised to see them struggle against a bigger, more physical opponent.

SA210
04-24-2011, 02:51 AM
You know what? I'm sick of avoiding it, and I'm just going to say it: Duncan really plays well against Randolph. How nice would it be to put Splitter on Gasol?

That f'king old stupid man needs to play Splitter or this frickin series is over! At least give it a frickin shot. :bang

ALVAREZ6
04-24-2011, 03:20 AM

law of averages

crofl @ "in the first half"

i remember my first time playing playing basketball

ALVAREZ6
04-24-2011, 03:21 AM
these fuckers are pussies, just face it. the spurs have vaginas. OKC salivating at the chance to continue the 2nd round broom-job tradition.

TE
04-24-2011, 03:21 AM
Just imagine, we're down 3-1 back in SA for game five. Pop decides to put Splitter on Gasol during the third or fourth quarter after Bonner or Blair have suffered some sort of injury, and Splitter somehow neutralizes Gasol...

:depressed

:(

ALVAREZ6
04-24-2011, 03:22 AM
Just imagine, we're down 3-1 back in SA for game five. Pop decides to put Splitter on Gasol during the third or fourth quarter after Bonner or Blair have suffered some sort of injury, and Splitter somehow neutralizes Gasol...

crofl. wake up scro. Pop <333333333 hairy red beard rubbing & grinding up on his scrotum.

sammy
04-24-2011, 03:23 AM
TP playing like crap is not helping! TP needs to get his head out of his ass! Sick of this shit! He's younger than Manu and Timmy and he's playing like crap! TP we need you! Bonner sucks still and Hill just not playing to his potential and key turnovers costing the Spurs this game! Why not play Splitter instead of Bonner! Play Danny Green or any of our other shooters who might just give a spark to this team when Bonner is back to his losing performance in the playoffs!

I was yelling timeout when Hill got the rebound instead Manu gets trapped and time runs out! Wow, that one is on Pop and other ridiculous coaching decisions! Hollins is outcoaching Pop! Slow rotations allowing open 3's that end up costing us the game! Hopefully Pop wakes up and allows Spllitter to play! Why not try it, and if it doesn't work then go back to Dice but at least try!:bang

ALVAREZ6
04-24-2011, 03:26 AM
TP playing like crap is not helping! TP needs to get his head out of his ass! Sick of this shit! He's younger than Manu and Timmy and he's playing like crap! TP we need you! Bonner sucks still and Hill just not playing to his potential and key turnovers costing the Spurs this game! Why not play Splitter instead of Bonner! Play Danny Green or any of our other shooters who might just give a spark to this team when Bonner is back to his losing performance in the playoffs!

I was yelling timeout when Hill got the rebound instead Manu gets trapped and time runs out! Wow, that one is on Pop and other ridiculous coaching decisions! Hollins is outcoaching Pop! Slow rotations allowing open 3's that end up costing us the game! Hopefully Pop wakes up and allows Spllitter to play! Why not try it, and if it doesn't work then go back to Dice but at least try!:bang
Bonner & Blair = best front court ever, will recommend to Spurs as options vs. Grizzles frontcourt

Pop, you are a fucking faggot piece of shit retard.

polandprzem
04-24-2011, 03:56 AM
TP lost it big time.

I'm fricking :cuss when he has the ball and damn to be sincere I'd rather see Memphis hit second FT so I would not get pissed cause spurs gave up a rebound and turn the ball over again.
TP plays like a rookie. He plays like Tony shut down by Phil Jackson. Close the lane and be quicker back in transition. Spurs offense fails.

Also what Memphis doing right is they are not over committing with help and has great spacing on their D. So the spurs have no long range shots. They only had one quality 3 pointer from G Hill. All game long!

The sky has fallen. We have no inside presents what so ever. Spurs thought they will put Grizz into the foul trouble. Wrong.
TP won't get FT's not trying to finish the play.

TP still the cocky one?

That's not respecting your opponent. That's what's worst in spurs team. Then you losing concentration.

Pop said grind it out.
Well spurs cannot do this - the Grizz are ultimate grinders - spurs are system guys.

polandprzem
04-24-2011, 03:59 AM
Bonner & Blair = best front court ever, will recommend to Spurs as options vs. Grizzles frontcourt

Pop, you are a fucking faggot piece of shit retard.

I wonder if Pop will try to risk putting Splitt against Mem.
Even if he will bring him in the 1st half he will absolutely won't do it when the game is on the line at the end.

Pop in playoffs always want to have experience guys and well into the system guys on the floor.

On the other hand - the timeout situation. Where's the experience?

team-work
04-24-2011, 04:03 AM
Haven't posted for a while, I try to do it before the season ends (or threats to end.)

The team is still built around the Big-3, so the Savior may not be Splitter, but improved play by those 3, especially TP. You probably cannot ask to much out of Duncan and Manu. Of course, breakout performance by any bench player is warmly welcomed and helps tremendously.

Don't know why he struggles so much. If it's not due to injury, at least we can hope he turns it around before it's too late.

As for Pop, what should be said about him? Isn't he considered a candidate for COY after a successful regular season? He's still a good coach definitely. We can only hypothesize how things would turn out if Splitter were inserted into the rotation early on. I remember Pop once saying something like "we don't give him playing time just for the sake of playing him." As he missed most of the preseason, it is difficult to argue with that. Probably Splitter's injury has already determined our fate this season.

04-24-2011, 04:18 AM
even though the spurs weren't very good to begin with, i still think they can be a better team than the grizzlies. i still expect them to beat the grizzlies now that they are down 2-1. this should be a serious wake up call. they thought they were better than they really were and could cruise past the grizzlies. this is definitely not the case. the spurs need to win the next one to regain homecourt advantage in a best of 3.

and this collapse was a team effort. no one is stepping up this series except for ginobili and jefferson a few times. everyone else is just performing subpar, including duncan. if everyone plays adequate, then the spurs can actually beat the grizzlies.

team-work
04-24-2011, 04:24 AM
I'm not being pessimistic about Spurs' chance in this series. In fact, no surprise about this situation because of the team's decline after the All-Star break. Deficiency in the frontcourt, untimely injuries, attention by other teams who want to beat the top team all play a role.

Slippy
04-24-2011, 04:25 AM
TP's shithouse effort has two-fold effect on the spur's offense. Foul trouble meant relying on Hill earlier and more-so when Manu was out. The life of the offense was sucked out right
there. Too much stagnation and not much ball movement with Hill trying to be fancy with the pass. The team's offense suffered as result. Player movement was of the un-certain kind , shooters became hesitent or shot out of ryhthm. George Hill is a weapon for this offense but when he's directing it, it goes to the pits.

Second, Tony's continous nervous play and butter fingered offense
made it very hard for the team to get on a roll. Through-out the season they thrived on runs and momentum which have pretty much dried up this series. Our starting PG has alot to do with it. Top that off with an iffy jumpshot. you've got the Spurs playing from behind .

Thought it was a thing of the past but Tony did more harm than good in this game.

Positives. When they went into grind out mode in the second half. The Spurs looked the better team and memphis played like the young team that they are. Despite Tone's careless play , the Spurs almost pulled out the win. They gotta build on that in game 4.

Come ready to play 4 full quarters.

MinuteByMinuteSports
04-24-2011, 04:25 AM
The downfall of the Spurs started when Pop changed the lineup

Bruno
04-24-2011, 04:51 AM
1) Parker needs to play better. His poor play is the main reason why Spurs are down 2-1. There nothign more to say about it.

2) Pop has no only be bad yesterday but he has been bad the whole year. He has been passive and has just look at Spurs great regular season record. This record was fools gold and was only great because Spurs were great against bad teams (35-2 against below .500 teams). Putting back McDyess i the starting lineup instead of Blair was also a bad idea. I don't even talk about Splitter...

3) Baring a miracle Spurs season is done. I still think Spurs can beat Memphis because they are a bad team but Spurs won't reach the WCF. If Spurs beat Memphis, a well resting Thunder team will crush a tired old Spurs team.

4) In the likely case of Spurs being crushed by Thunder or losing against Memphis, off-season will be headache for Spurs FO. Should Spurs do a desperate move just to get a slim chance at #5 or should they just let this team die? Does Pop still really wants to coach?

TDMVPDPOY
04-24-2011, 05:02 AM
theres a few players that also needs to be called out

RJ - passive piece of shit just another player on the court making up the numbers while doing shit all, yeh sure he has glimpses in each game where his contributing like rebounding and blocking shots on AND1 plays continuation, but other then that his doing shit all and those sort of contribution is just not enough for a player who just robbed Holt for an extention.

Bonner - lol he hustles you can see it when his on the court, but he has too much negative the longer he stays in the game which costs us chasing back into the game when the other team will just exploit the mixmatch.

blair - wtf ever happen to him, his game nowhere to be seen, whether its rebounding or defense, dont get me started with his offense....

dice - there are parts in the game he wants to get his offensive game going with clank shots, but when it gets going we can afford it, but not during situations where we are making a run to get back into the game, cant afford to have players pulling shots.

Neal - all of a sudden this clown hit the rookie wall or a clone of roger mason, his not afraid to shoot the ball or us out of the game, but i rather have him pulling the trigger then any of the shooters on the court not name manu.

Walton Buys Off Me
04-24-2011, 07:14 AM
Sadly it's become apparent Tony is not interested in competing in this series.

George Hill should be the team's starting point for game 4 and Parker should see spot minutes ( i.e no more than 20) if the Spurs want to tie the series. Benching Parker entirely may not be a bad move and would send a message that quitting on your teammates is not acceptable.

Gregg Popovich also needs to be held accountable for the predicament we find ourselves in. His defensive schemes against Randolph and Gasol have been laughable at best and there is no logical reason why Tiago Splitter hasn't seen a minute in this series. Popovich said a few years ago that "what Memphis is doing is inconceivable"- well his coaching in this series trumps the Gasol trade in terms of pure stupidity.

Pop's inability to call a timeout and set up a play in the final 6 seconds last night ranks up there with the biggest coaching blunders of his career (in the same category as taking Duncan and Bowen out against the Lakers at the same time in the 2009 WCF).

igruex
04-24-2011, 07:25 AM
Parker is the difference in this series. The team still goes as he does. I can't believe he has been so worthless these first three games.

You could say that of someone who's playing in one arm, you could say that of someone who's 35 and have been banging in the post for too long, but you definitely cannot say it from someone who is not even in his 30s, has the easiest matchup, and was always the most regular player of the Spurs' big 3...

We don't go as TP goes, Timvp said we need him at 90%, hell if he plays at 75% we won game 3 by more than 2 possessions. I mean, 3 awful dribbling mistakes? That's just not TP. It's like saying Manu was 1-12 on FTs, It just can't happen unless something is happening.

This sucking from TP came so out of nowhere, I really expect him to turn it upside down.

boutons_deux
04-24-2011, 07:34 AM
"are the Spurs playing the worst basketball right now"

yes, unwatchably bad, the uncompetitive worst of all the playoffs teams.

siraulo23
04-24-2011, 07:36 AM

Then in his post season exit interview, he'll say "Splitter will play next year in the playoffs" and pop has got a new favorite player

Just like G Hill vs the Mavs in 09 :sleep

spurs50_
04-24-2011, 07:37 AM
Pop riding Timmy's coattails. This clown needs to go out to pasture. Rj has the balls of a neutered dog.

Harry Callahan
04-24-2011, 07:47 AM
I taped the game (doubt I'll watch in order to maintain my sanity). Did Manu get his elbow hurt again last night?

Shelly
04-24-2011, 08:01 AM
I am convinced that Eva put a curse on TP

polandprzem
04-24-2011, 09:09 AM
I taped the game (doubt I'll watch in order to maintain my sanity). Did Manu get his elbow hurt again last night?

It looked like he did.

He will most def play but his elbow will be worse.

All in all it seems like a disastrous ending of a season.

Stupid season - so many hopes ...

peacemaker885
04-24-2011, 09:48 AM
1) Parker needs to play better. His poor play is the main reason why Spurs are down 2-1. There nothign more to say about it.

2) Pop has no only be bad yesterday but he has been bad the whole year. He has been passive and has just look at Spurs great regular season record. This record was fools gold and was only great because Spurs were great against bad teams (35-2 against below .500 teams). Putting back McDyess i the starting lineup instead of Blair was also a bad idea. I don't even talk about Splitter...

3) Baring a miracle Spurs season is done. I still think Spurs can beat Memphis because they are a bad team but Spurs won't reach the WCF. If Spurs beat Memphis, a well resting Thunder team will crush a tired old Spurs team.

4) In the likely case of Spurs being crushed by Thunder or losing against Memphis, off-season will be headache for Spurs FO. Should Spurs do a desperate move just to get a slim chance at #5 or should they just let this team die? Does Pop still really wants to coach?

Agree in all aspects. Honestly, I don't think we are going to get past Memphis. Sad end to a great season, but that's that. I hope the FO and coaching staff does the fans and the players a solid over the summer. I really really love to go back to the half court, solid defense, boring to hell type that we used to be. We all deserve it.

Spur-Addict
04-24-2011, 09:53 AM
Neal played with balls out there... I can't fault him for that, and it's night and day from RMJ... We need more Neals in this team, tbh

I agree 100% with this. He played as hard as RJ in his limited minutes.

Yes.

He has forced the issue because of frustration, and that has made it worse. Additionally, the shooters need him to play well to get better looks.

Now, i'd lobby to get TD more post up looks, but apparently that's just crazy talk. We turned the ball over three times in a row on one sequence when we should've went inside to Tim. First it was Tony, then Manu, and I forgot the third but the result is all that matters.

Tim is still the "release pressure valve" whether anyone else likes it or not. I'd rather see a banker, a short hook, an up and under as opposed to the trash Parker has been throwing up, and Manu trying to do too much with an injured arm at this point.

Plus, if Tim can draw some fouls on Randolph/Gasol, it serves us later on in the game. We could potentially get extra stretches without both of them on the court at the same time.

EVAY
04-24-2011, 10:12 AM
The Spurs have just needed Parker to play at his normal level. Or at least even 90% of it.

Last night Parker got 16 points and 6 assists. His regular season average is 17 points and 7 assists, isn't it?

So isn't that pretty close to his average?

Now, most of his in-season points were in the paint. The fact that the points that he is able to get in this series are not in the paint just MIGHT have something to do with how Memphis has decided to defend him, and their ability to get to him to block shots and/or pack the paint to keep him out. Our bigs have been unable to protect ANY of our guards going into the paint, and none of our guards are consistently scoring in the paint.

Some observers might see that situation and conclude that the Spurs need to make some adjustments to enable their guards to penetrate more.

Some observers might see the ability to score close to the regular season average when your regular season methodology has been taken away from you by the defensive gameplan of the opposing team to be a good statement about the player who can find another way to score and assist even when his normal attempts are being stymied.

Manu's comment in an interview the other day was the most (only) intelligent one so far regarding Tony's difficulties scoring in the paint in this series. He said, with uncharacteristic sarcasm "You think they (Memphis) talk about that? Don't you think they work on that during practice?"

In other words, other teams know how important Tony is to our offense and are effectively disrupting it. Big time. The real question is why the Spurs haven't made some adjustments to help Tony out in these situations. Our bigs need to give a lot more blocking maneuvers to help the guard (whoever it is)
penetrate the lane. Instead, our bigs are positioning themselves almost at the elbows or on the baseline, waiting for a penetrating guard to pass the ball out them for a 10-15 foot jumper. The problem, dear friends, is that the penetrating guard is then left alone in a packed paint with two huge and athletic defenders who either block his shot attempt (resulting in a turnover often), or force the turnover outright by making it impossible for the guard to pass out of the lane,either.

Much of the criticism of TP in this forum is, I believe, a failure to understand the defensive strategy employed by the Grizzlies, and a failure to appreciate how effectively they have done it with no response from the Spurs coaching staff.

It is not the guard's job to figure out how to change the offensive flow. He goes out there and executes what Pop wants done as well as he can with the defensive structure of the opposing coach, and until Pop wants it done another way that will continue.

And the guard in question will be ridden as the goat.

Brilliant. Really brilliant.

ALVAREZ6
04-24-2011, 10:59 AM
I wonder if Pop will try to risk putting Splitt against Mem.
Even if he will bring him in the 1st half he will absolutely won't do it when the game is on the line at the end.

Pop in playoffs always want to have experience guys and well into the system guys on the floor.

On the other hand - the timeout situation. Where's the experience?

Well you see, had Pop given Splitter his due time on the court throughout the regular season, he would have much more experience than he currently has, and probably wouldn't be a bad option for this play off run. I guess Popovich analyzed the situation, acknowledged that in order to win it all they would probably have to pass through some combination of Oklahoma City, Los Angeles, Boston, or Chicago, and thought...yeah, 7 foot centers are useless. I'll go with the enormous vagina and the 6'7" center instead.

ALVAREZ6
04-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Last night Parker got 16 points and 6 assists. His regular season average is 17 points and 7 assists, isn't it?

Now, most of his in-season points were in the paint. The fact that the points that he is able to get in this series are not in the paint just MIGHT have something to do with how Memphis has decided to defend him, and their ability to get to him to block shots and/or pack the paint to keep him out. Our bigs have been unable to protect ANY of our guards going into the paint, and none of our guards are consistently scoring in the paint.

Some observers might see that situation and conclude that the Spurs need to make some adjustments to enable their guards to penetrate more.

Some observers might see the ability to score close to the regular season average when your regular season methodology has been taken away from you by the defensive gameplan of the opposing team to be a good statement about the player who can find another way to score and assist even when his normal attempts are being stymied.

Manu's comment in an interview the other day was the most (only) intelligent one so far regarding Tony's difficulties scoring in the paint in this series. He said, with uncharacteristic sarcasm "You think they (Memphis) talk about that? Don't you think they work on that during practice?"

In other words, other teams know how important Tony is to our offense and are effectively disrupting it. Big time. The real question is why the Spurs haven't made some adjustments to help Tony out in these situations. Our bigs need to give a lot more blocking maneuvers to help the guard (whoever it is)
penetrate the lane. Instead, our bigs are positioning themselves almost at the elbows or on the baseline, waiting for a penetrating guard to pass the ball out them for a 10-15 foot jumper. The problem, dear friends, is that the penetrating guard is then left alone in a packed paint with two huge and athletic defenders who either block his shot attempt (resulting in a turnover often), or force the turnover outright by making it impossible for the guard to pass out of the lane,either.

Much of the criticism of TP in this forum is, I believe, a failure to understand the defensive strategy employed by the Grizzlies, and a failure to appreciate how effectively they have done it with no response from the Spurs coaching staff.

It is not the guard's job to figure out how to change the offensive flow. He goes out there and executes what Pop wants done as well as he can with the defensive structure of the opposing coach, and until Pop wants it done another way that will continue.

Why don't you tell a more complete story?

How does 4/16 (game 1) and 5/14 and 6 turnovers compare to his averages?

DPG21920
04-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Evay, did you really not watch the game(s)? While 16 & 6 may not be far below his season scoring and assist averages, his percentages have been awful and well below. His turnovers have been a major problem as well. His decision making and court vision has been atrocious and even basic things like dribbling the ball and controlling it are below NBA level this series.

igruex
04-24-2011, 11:08 AM

Parker had 16 points, his FG was 35%. He had 5 assists and more than 1 TO per Assist, most of them where dribbling.

Now go check again his regular season averages. Moreover he played a lot worse than his stats indicate. He played so far of his average that he watched the end of the 2nd and the 4th quarter from the bench.

Tony can't play worse and he won't, but we don't need a bit more from him, we need the triple of what he's producing right now.

rmt
04-24-2011, 11:35 AM

It's not just the points, but his efficiency. He's shooting 34.1%, that's down 17.8% from his regular season 51.9%. He's not finishing at the rim as he usually does - even on fast breaks when the defense isn't set. He's not hitting his jump shot as he normally does and if the shot isn't there, then don't take it. He's turning the ball over and there was one play where no one was pressuring him and he just slipped while dribbling the ball and almost turned it over. It's not just MEM's defense, he's being sloppy too.

pgardn
04-24-2011, 01:01 PM
When you need a three, you don't try to get it on the fast break.

Wrong. Absolutely wrong.

Its one of the best times as momentum is moving towards the 3 point line. Much easier shot and usually easier to find an open man as the floor is spread.

The view is still obstructed.

ALVAREZ6
04-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Wrong. Absolutely wrong.

Its one of the best times as momentum is moving towards the 3 point line. Much easier shot and usually easier to find an open man as the floor is spread.

You're absolutely wrong on this with the reasoning that the momentum helps the 3 point shot. It's tougher to go from running down the floor and stopping on a dime and shooting a 3 than it is otherwise. Only a small amount of players are able to do it consistently well, and really the only very obvious one to me is Chauncey Billups.

itzsoweezee
04-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Popovich has got to play the starters more minutes. 35 minutes is not going to cut it.

polandprzem
04-24-2011, 03:53 PM
okay b4 I go to sleep I want to say that I can see the light even when everything seems so black and Grizzlies so confident right now that they will demolish the spurs at home now.

The light is - too stupid Allen and his comments
The guy can lose it
Randolph looked like he won the series and might not be there for a battle / big if though
mayo seemed to be really unhappy that he had to go back on the bench after he made that key 3 pointer

Spurs will play for they lives hopefully and can break thi Memphis team, if they do Grizz might fall.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Wrong. Absolutely wrong.

:lol

There's just not a word created for your post. 'Fail' simply doesn't capture it.