PDA

View Full Version : Reason SA losing to MEM: PAU GASOL TRADE

milkshakeballa
04-24-2011, 12:14 AM
`This trade has abslutely destroyed the SA franchise and their fans.

Stopped them dead in the tracks in 2008. They were nowhere to be found last year.

And now...this year...a DOMINATING regular season...they are going to get BUTTFUCKED in the first round....

Why you ask?

The PAU GASOL TRADE.

This trade enabled Memphis to acquire both Marc Gasol via the trade AND ZBO because of the cap space.

So Spurs fans and for Coach Pop....the gift that keeps on giving.

The BIGGEST NBA TRADE since Kobe draft day deal...tbh.

Ghazi
04-24-2011, 12:15 AM
:lol

BRHornet45
04-24-2011, 12:17 AM
lol pwned

Ghazi
04-24-2011, 12:17 AM
lol pwned

get on AIM dawg!

redzero
04-24-2011, 12:18 AM
You have a point.

BRHornet45
04-24-2011, 12:19 AM
get on AIM dawg!

son I ain't got AIM. should I make it?

IronMexican
04-24-2011, 12:21 AM
:lmao

Ghazi
04-24-2011, 12:22 AM
son I ain't got AIM. should I make it?

yes! and IM me @ greatdynasty

BRHornet45
04-24-2011, 12:24 AM
yes! and IM me @ greatdynasty

downloading now

Strike
04-24-2011, 12:35 AM

Stopped them dead in the tracks in 2008. They were nowhere to be found last year.

And now...this year...a DOMINATING regular season...they are going to get BUTTFUCKED in the first round....

Why you ask?

The PAU GASOL TRADE.

This trade enabled Memphis to acquire both Marc Gasol via the trade AND ZBO because of the cap space.

Hate to admit it but it's valid. :depressed

ElNono
04-24-2011, 12:35 AM
son, you need to get on twitter and preach on...

picc84
04-24-2011, 12:42 AM
:lmao

:rollin

La Peace
04-24-2011, 12:56 AM
the goods :toast
:rollin

ManuBalboa
04-24-2011, 01:21 AM
http://files.sharenator.com/fuuuuuuuu_CANT_BE_UNSEEN-s349x263-132486-580.jpg

Juggity
04-24-2011, 02:10 AM
You are right about everything except one aspect; the spurs will not be "buttfucked" in the first round. They will win the first round. They could very well not make past round 2, but I would not bet against them in round 1.

ElNono
04-24-2011, 02:14 AM
When the Spurs beats Memphis and moves to the 2nd round, what will be the reason?

Nick Manning
04-24-2011, 02:19 AM
At this point does SA really wanna move on to round 2? Not sure they're aware what awaits them.

i MAke GOod POlls
04-24-2011, 02:26 AM
BUMPshakeballa the goods :tu

ElNono
04-24-2011, 02:27 AM
I'm pretty sure they're aware... bring it

Nick Manning
04-24-2011, 02:29 AM
I'm pretty sure they're aware... bring it

You've got a lot of false bravado tonight...I assume you're shitfaced.

ElNono
04-24-2011, 02:36 AM
You've got a lot of false bravado tonight...I assume you're shitfaced.

Nothing false about it... We've been down 2-1 before and won the series, even without HCA... Ask BRHornet, lol

LkrFan
04-24-2011, 03:18 AM
Nothing false about it... We've been down 2-1 before and won the series, even without HCA... Ask BRHornet, lol

Back on topic though. Everyone and their mother talked about the Lakers raping Memphis in that deal. They were absolutely hurting financially while simultaneously having to pay Pau his money. This, while being 0-12 in the playoffs. In comes the Lakers who come in with a deal that would provide them financial flexibility and they can get Pau's albatross contract off of their books.

Look at the Grizzlies now. They do look like our farm team. Dominating frontline (Z Bo/Marc), pretty good SG the Spurs can't guard (OJ Mayo), and a pretty good bench. The thing is, their PG is light years better than Fisher is so I see why you guys are in trouble. It's no fluke that TP is having a shitty playoff series FG%-wise because he has to guard Conley and score. :lol Matter of fact, you guys should be lucky that their best player (Rudy Gay) is not playing or game 4 they would be going for the sweep. Real talk.

:toast

Giuseppe
04-24-2011, 04:25 AM
Matter of fact, you guys should be lucky that their best player (Rudy Gay) is not playing or game 4 they would be going for the sweep. Real talk.

Yep, and it'd be consecutive sweeps.

Venti Quattro
04-24-2011, 04:52 AM
Z-bo's majestic (yes) transformation as a cornerstone has allowed memphis to do this.

It's unreal, the main team has passed their bag of tricks to the farm team.

21_Blessings
04-24-2011, 08:33 AM

And then they were nearly swept by an undermanned Laker team the next round, lol

DMC
04-24-2011, 11:26 AM

Why you ask?

The PAU GASOL TRADE.

This has some truth to it, however it's misleading. The Spurs are behind to Memphis (not losing).

The trade is part of the reason why the Grizz are in the playoffs. It has nothing to do with why the Spurs are struggling against them. They are no better than they were when they had Pau, certainly not better than the Cavs were in 2007 when we swept them in the Finals.

SA is struggling for internal reasons, not external ones. The Grizz aren't dropping 120pts a game on us. They aren't defending particularly well. The Spurs are just playing like a D League squad right now that's coached by a HS coach who's red headed son is on the team. It really has nothing to do with the trade. We would be struggling against the Hornets as well if we played like this.

Jt.ONE
04-24-2011, 11:41 AM
partly also due to z-bo maturing to a better player

Darrin
04-24-2011, 11:41 AM
I think the key to the series is the next game. If Memphis loses home-court advantage, I don't think they go into San Antonio in game 5 or 7 and beat the Spurs. If they fall into a 3-1 hole, I think the Spurs will find it difficult, not impossible, to win this series. I predicted before this series that it would go seven games and that San Antonio would get the scare of their life. So far so good. I don't see San Antonio getting past Oklahoma City in the next round, but I do think they will climb out of the 2-1 hole and win this series in seven.

Axe Murderer
04-24-2011, 12:08 PM
milky sup nigga?

Longtime no see. Hit me up next time you swing through here, gotta show you how I'm livin, gotta new place

ElNono
04-24-2011, 12:14 PM
And then they were nearly swept by an undermanned Laker team the next round, lol

And then that Lakeshow team set a new record for worst loss in the Finals... that's how it goes sometimes...

Kamala
04-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Spurs in 6:flag::flag::flag:

True Jerry West Laker collusion has directly hurt the Spurs.
2 asterisk championships for Lakers Tim Duncan 4 Kobe 3**

ElNono
04-24-2011, 12:17 PM

:blah :blah :blah

Rudy Gay being injured has been a blessing in disguise for this Memphis team. He demands touches and shots, which you would need to take away from ZBo and Gasol.

ploto
04-24-2011, 12:50 PM
At the time of the trade, someone whose opinion I trust told me that Mark would be as good or better than Pau in the long run. I do not think he will ever be the offensive player that Pau is, but he's already a better defender and he is definitely tougher.

namlook
04-24-2011, 01:10 PM
Marc Gasol and Zach acquired as a result of moving Pau? What a terrible move by the Grizz. Their GM didn't have a clue. :lol

noob cake
04-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Marc Gasol and Zach acquired as a result of moving Pau? What a terrible move by the Grizz. Their GM didn't have a clue. :lol

I love how Lakers fans still try to defend the rigged shit. Marc Gasol was a project, not projected to be nearly as good as he is now. ZBo was a cancer of the highest order, Wallace completely lucked out.

Darrin
04-24-2011, 03:06 PM
I love how Lakers fans still try to defend the rigged shit. Marc Gasol was a project, not projected to be nearly as good as he is now. ZBo was a cancer of the highest order, Wallace completely lucked out.

Wallace is one of the worst GMs I have ever seen. Let's see his Joe Johnson-for-Rodney Rogers trade and Vin Baker for Kenny Anderson trade as the context for this trade. He gave away Gasol and lucked into two great players.

cobbler
04-24-2011, 03:16 PM

Been hearing how the Lakesr "just lucked out" for decades. It's called....

sour grapes.

ElNono
04-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Been hearing how the Lakesr "just lucked out" for decades. It's called....

sour grapes.

Also known as collusion...

namlook
04-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Wallace is one of the worst GMs I have ever seen. Let's see his Joe Johnson-for-Rodney Rogers trade and Vin Baker for Kenny Anderson trade as the context for this trade. He gave away Gasol and lucked into two great players.

Luck or not it was a good trade for the Grizz. The Lakers also had no way of knowing a guy who was labeled as soft and was 0 for 12 in the playoffs would be the right fit.

LkrFan
04-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Also known as collusion...

How is it collusion when Jerry West didn't work for the Grizzlies when the trade was made? :downspin:

namlook
04-24-2011, 03:55 PM
How is it collusion when Jerry West didn't work for the Grizzlies when the trade was made? :downspin:

Jerry was obviously still pulling the puppet strings of the league from his laz-y-boy at home. :lol

DMC
04-24-2011, 04:00 PM
No more collusion than Kevin McHale/Garnett/Boston

Teams gather pieces. Some do it better than others.

The odds that one team will win so many times with different lineups are really small if those lineups are random. They aren't random. They come from well cultivated and crafted moves that other teams do not make.

Two different companies after the same goal, but with different operating capital, will use two different approaches to get there. One company will have a better approach and the lesser company will get a smaller percentage of the pie.

I don't have any sympathy for team owners who allow their teams to suffer by hiring friends or anyone else who's less than the best they can possibly get. It's all entertainment, yet some here seem to feel they are being cheated. If you are being cheated, it's not by the Lakers, it's by your own fucking team.

ElNono
04-24-2011, 04:14 PM

Did I say it was Jerry West's fault? Please quote where I said that...

As I told you before, Memphis didn't even shop Gasol. They could've received a much better deal at the time, obviously. Looking at how things turned out 3 seasons later is revisionist history at it's best...

LkrFan
04-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Jerry was obviously still pulling the puppet strings of the league from his laz-y-boy at home. :lol
I know huh? :lol

namlook
04-24-2011, 04:17 PM

As I told you before, Memphis didn't even shop Gasol. They could've received a much better deal at the time, obviously. Looking at how things turned out 3 seasons later is revisionist history at it's best...

The trade helped both teams and that's all that really matters. Any complaints are just meaningless noise.

LkrFan
04-24-2011, 04:25 PM
You saying collusion occurred implies that Logo helped broker a deal for his former team. That can't happen if Logo had no power to make that happen to begin with.

It was written that Memphis was shopping Gasol but the timing wasn't right to unload him and his huge KT (huge for a losing small market team that is). MK had been after him for at least 2 years (I'm too lazy to find the link right now - Neal with it) and he would have went after him regardless if Bynum went down or not. Meanwhile, after another losing season ($$$ and wins that is) the time was ripe for the Lakers to swoop in and get Gasol. Lakers got their championship piece to pair with Kobe and Memphis got the financial flexibility they wanted. It worked out well for both teams tbh.

ElNono
04-24-2011, 04:26 PM
The trade helped both teams and that's all that really matters. Any complaints are just meaningless noise.

Claiming it helped Memphis 3 seasons later is just silly... That trade, when it was done, helped only one team. People were right to complain back then...

At this stage, what's done is done.

LkrFan
04-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Claiming it helped Memphis 3 seasons later is just silly... That trade, when it was done, helped only one team. People were right to complain back then...

Sure if you want to look at it on a talent standpoint. That's shallow thinking. How about the Lakers when they traded Shaq? I know they could have gotten better than a package featuring Lamar Odom (he was inconsistent as hell back then but is beasting now, but still). I didn't hear you guys bitching then. Matter of fact, Pop mused that the Shaq/Kobe break up was akin to the Soviet Union splitting up. Remember that shit? You can't have it both ways ElNono. :lol

ElNono
04-24-2011, 04:33 PM
You saying collusion occurred implies that Logo helped broker a deal for his former team. That can't happen if Logo had no power to make that happen to begin with.

No, it implies that Memphis took a lesser value to help another team (for whatever reason). Which they clearly did.

It was written that Memphis was shopping Gasol but the timing wasn't right to unload him and his huge KT (huge for a losing small market team that is). MK had been after him for at least 2 years (I'm too lazy to find the link right now - Neal with it) and he would have went after him regardless if Bynum went down or not. Meanwhile, after another losing season ($$$ and wins that is) the time was ripe for the Lakers to swoop in and get Gasol. Lakers got their championship piece to pair with Kobe and Memphis got the financial flexibility they wanted. It worked out well for both teams tbh.

What teams want is irrelevant if you don't have the pieces and cap space to pull it off. That's the reason the cap is in place. If Memphis really wanted the best deal out there, they would have shopped him and they probably would have ended up with even better cap flexibility (both more expiring contracts and potentially better talent in return). I don't blame Mitch for pulling that deal under the table, he did what's best for his team. Obviously, Memphis didn't. To come back 3 seasons later and try to somehow justify that with the current roster is no excuse.

namlook
04-24-2011, 04:34 PM

Memphis fans sure aren't complaining now. If you know anything about sports trades you know that teams often give up a proven commodity (to save money or to get rid of a malcontent) for prospects with potential and draft picks. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. And the very nature of these types of trades is that it never looks like the team that received the prospects made a good deal until a few years down the line.

ElNono
04-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Sure if you want to look at it on a talent standpoint. That's shallow thinking.
How about the Lakers when they traded Shaq? I know they could have gotten better than a package featuring Lamar Odom (he was inconsistent as hell back then but is beasting now, but still). I didn't hear you guys bitching then. Matter of fact, Pop mused that the Shaq/Kobe break up was akin to the Soviet Union splitting up. Remember that shit? You can't have it both ways ElNono. :lol

Completely different situation. Shaq was demanding a raise which the owner didn't want to pay, and Kobe wanted him out of the team. He basically forced his way out. When that happens, teams normally do get the shorter end of the stick.

Gasol was fine in Memphis. He didn't force anything. He had a value that was nowhere near Shaq value at the time, and was a much younger player with a bigger upside.

ElNono
04-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Memphis fans sure aren't complaining now. If you know anything about sports trades you know that teams often give up a proven commodity (to save money or to get rid of a malcontent) for prospects with potential and draft picks. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Memphis never complained :lol
That doesn't mean it wasn't a one-sided deal.

namlook
04-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Completely different situation. Shaq was demanding a raise which the owner didn't want to pay, and Kobe wanted him out of the team. He basically forced his way out. When that happens, teams normally do get the shorter end of the stick.

There is an obvious parallel. The Lakers didn't seem to get full value for Shaq when that deal was made. The Grizz didn't seem to get full value either. You don't know how a trade will pan out until a few years down the line. Both the Lakers and the Grizz took initial hits and their won/less records suffered but both trades benefited all the teams involved in the end.

ElNono
04-24-2011, 04:48 PM
There is an obvious parallel. The Lakers didn't seem to get full value for Shaq when that deal was made. The Grizz didn't seem to get full value either. You don't know how a trade will pan out until a few years down the line. Both the Lakers and the Grizz took initial hits and their won/less records suffered but both trades benefited all the teams involved in the end.

There's no parallel because Shaq didn't want to play for the Lakers unless he got a raise (this was during the offseason) while Gasol was comfortable in Memphis... Also, the Lakers DID shop Shaq around all summer. He was making so much money then though, that it was difficult to get equal value, and since he wanted to leave, they had to take what was there.

Memphis didn't shop Gasol at all, and he didn't force an exit either.

And lol @ saying that Lakers took a hit when Gasol went over... they went all the way to the NBA Finals... :lol

LkrFan
04-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Not really. Who in their right mind would have thought that the Lakers would break up the best 1-2 punch in league history? Shaq and Kobe had fought for years. Years I'm telling you. You think 2006 was the first time the opportunity to trade Shaq arose? :lol Shaq wasn't producing like he once did, he was gaining weight, losing motivation, and wasn't the player he was. Dr. Buss made the call and MK obliged.

The only thing that foiled the idea of getting true value for Shaq was him wanting to play in a warm climate. Hence he went out of the WC to Miami. Then the fat fuck signs with cold ass Boston?!? :lol Fuck him for that shit!! :lol But make no mistake, he would have pulled a GP on us if we traded him to a team that would have given us good value. Like Indiana. JO and Artest back then would have been nice in P&G.

Gasol was fine in Memphis. He didn't force anything. He had a value that was nowhere near Shaq value at the time, and was a much younger player with a bigger upside.

Not one Spur fan gave two shits about Pau when he was getting swept in the playoffs. But now he is a 2x champion playing for the Lakers, the tides have changed. :lol

21_Blessings
04-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Spur fan still mad over a trade that made Memphis better in the long run :lmao

Just face it:

Buss > Holt
Kupchak > Burford
Kobe > Timmy
Bynum > Timmy
Gasol > Timmy
Phil > Pop

The truth shall set you free.

Ghazi
04-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Blessings get on AIM!

21_Blessings
04-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Memphis didn't shop Gasol at all, and he didn't force an exit either.

Chicago says hi. lol wasting time arguing over this while ignoring facts. Go outside for once in your life.

ElNono
04-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Not really. Who in their right mind would have thought that the Lakers would break up the best 1-2 punch in league history? Shaq and Kobe had fought for years. Years I'm telling you. You think 2006 was the first time the opportunity to trade Shaq arose? :lol Shaq wasn't producing like he once did, he was gaining weight, losing motivation, and wasn't the player he was. Dr. Buss made the call and MK obliged.

The only thing that foiled the idea of getting true value for Shaq was him wanting to play in a warm climate. Hence he went out of the WC to Miami. Then the fat fuck signs with cold ass Boston?!? :lol Fuck him for that shit!! :lol But make no mistake, he would have pulled a GP on us if we traded him to a team that would have given us good value. Like Indiana. JO and Artest back then would have been nice in P&G.

So you agree it wasn't the Lakers that wanted to break it up. Shaq forced his way out. If Shaq wanted to keep playing for the same money for the Lakers, he would still be there.

Not one Spur fan gave two shits about Pau when he was getting swept in the playoffs. But now he is a 2x champion playing for the Lakers, the tides have changed. :lol

Well, you have to agree that teaming up with Kome and Phil Jackson is a severe upgrade from Mike Miller and Fratello :lol

ElNono
04-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Chicago says hi. lol wasting time arguing over this while ignoring facts. Go outside for once in your life.

I know you might not be aware, but there's more than two teams in the league...

And I just came back from outside... :lol

namlook
04-24-2011, 04:55 PM
And lol @ saying that Lakers took a hit when Gasol went over... they went all the way to the NBA Finals... :lol

You misunderstood. The Lakers took an initial hit when they traded Shaq just like the Grizz took a hit when they traded Gasol. Both teams then used the pieces they received to make their teams better. The Grizz were 0 for 12 in the playoffs with Pau and they are now up 2-1 on the #1 seed. The Grizz are better now than when they had Pau.

21_Blessings
04-24-2011, 04:57 PM
You misunderstood. The Lakers took an initial hit when they traded Shaq just like the Grizz took a hit when they traded Gasol. Both teams then used the pieces they received to make their teams better. The Grizz were 0 for 12 in the playoffs with Pau and they are now up 2-1 on the #1 seed. The Grizz are better now than when they had Pau.

Meanwhile, the Spurs traded for Dick thinking it would change things.

What idiots. :lmao

ElNono
04-24-2011, 04:57 PM

You're kidding right? Are you trying to compare the Lakers with the Gasol upgrade with this Memphis team? Not sure if serious :lol

ElNono
04-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Meanwhile, the Spurs traded for Dick thinking it would change things.

What idiots. :lmao

Not everybody can do an under the table deal and land Gasol for peanuts...

namlook
04-24-2011, 05:01 PM
You're kidding right? Are you trying to compare the Lakers with the Gasol upgrade with this Memphis team? Not sure if serious :lol

The parallel is the Grizz made themselves better by trading Pau. The Lakers made themselves better by trading Shaq.

ElNono
04-24-2011, 05:05 PM
The parallel is the Grizz made themselves better by trading Pau. The Lakers made themselves better by trading Shaq.

The differences are bigger than the similarities though... The Lakers shopped Shaq around, and Shaq wanted out. Gasol gave them an instant contender upgrade.

Memphis didn't shop Gasol around, they had all the time in the world to find the best deal since Gasol didn't want out, and it took them 3 seasons to put together a team that is basically playoff fodder.

21_Blessings
Memphis is a better, tougher team than they ever were or could have been with Pau Gasol.

Gasol/Randolph/picks > Pau.

Proof is in the playoff victories against a loser 1 seed.

DMC

Bullshit.

The Lakers missed the playoffs after Shaq left and Kobe threatened to quit before getting Gasol. How is that "better" than a threepeat? You cannot move 10 years forward and tie that in with Shaq leaving. Otherwise the Spurs made themselves better by trading Rod Strickland, they won 4 rings.

ElNono
04-24-2011, 05:07 PM
Memphis is a better, tougher team than they ever were or could have been with Pau Gasol.

Gasol/Randolph/picks > Pau.

Proof is in the playoff victories against a loser 1 seed.

They're playoff fodder.... they only other weak team they could mount a challenge against is the Lakers... they're not going anywhere regardless...

namlook
04-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Bullshit.

The Lakers missed the playoffs after Shaq left and Kobe threatened to quit before getting Gasol. How is that "better" than a threepeat? You cannot move 10 years forward and tie that in with Shaq leaving. Otherwise the Spurs made themselves better by trading Rod Strickland, they won 4 rings.

Not better than the threepeat but the Shaq trade allowed the Lakers to reload and repeat. They would have never won another ring with Shaq. The Lakers with Gasol are much better than the Lakers with Shaq and Kobe the year Shaq was traded. Gasol only came as a result of the Shaq trade.

ElNono
04-24-2011, 05:11 PM
Not better than the threepeat but they Shaq trade allowed the Lakers to reload and repeat. They would have never won another ring with Shaq.

But it's revisionist history... The Lakers didn't have an option with Shaq. He wanted out. They didn't know they could pull a collusion and land Gasol when they let him go. Heck, I still remember MK being in quicksand before the Gasol trade happened and Kome was threatening to bolt.

namlook
04-24-2011, 05:14 PM
But it's revisionist history... The Lakers didn't have an option with Shaq. He wanted out. They didn't know they could pull a collusion and land Gasol when they let him go. Heck, I still remember MK being in quicksand before the Gasol trade happened and Kome was threatening to bolt.

This is all just noise. All the teams involved in both trades are happy with what they got. End of story.

ElNono
04-24-2011, 05:15 PM
This is all just noise. All the teams involved in both trades are happy with what they got. End of story.

:lol same excuse as when the trade happened...

It's water under the bridge now... but Lakerfan trying to rewrite history is nothing new, tbh :lol

21_Blessings
04-24-2011, 05:20 PM
LOL Sc:lolla

If your franchise's front office wasn't filled with a bunch of inept, dumbshits, maybe you wouldn't be down 2-1 against the fucking Vancouver Grizzlies :lmao

Learn to GM

namlook
04-24-2011, 05:21 PM
:lol same excuse as when the trade happened...

It's water under the bridge now... but Lakerfan trying to rewrite history is nothing new, tbh :lol

:lol No one is rewriting history. Sounds like pure delusion. All three teams in the Lakers, Grizz and Heat trades for Shaq and Gasol made themselves better with the trades. That's all you can ask for.

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
04-24-2011, 05:30 PM

3+ years later this trade is still being discussed...No one wants to move on. However, a month or so back I posted more of less the following, and got no answer. I'll try again.

1) First complaint is the Gasol for Kwame trade shook up the power balance in the west. Well, what about the initial Shaq trade in 2004? Didn't that shake up the power balance in the west? Why is this never mentioned? All the Lakers did was used the pieces left over; Caron to Kwame to Pau.

2) Memphis wanted expiring contracts for Gasol, nothing less. Their goal was to shed payroll and rebuild.

Note: Lakers didn't want to include Marc Gasol in the deal, but they had no choice. Memphis saw him as a legitimate prospect. Currently, he and Z-Bo cost about the same as Pau, but because Marc is young, it's two great players for the price of one. This can catch up to you down the line when you keep a top draft pick and he demands and gets big money. This tends to put you over the salary cap if you want to win. See Andrew Bynum, he's a big reason the Lakers are over the cap.

3) The Lakers gave up nothing to get Gasol. Well, Memphis wouldn't take Lamar Odom because although his salary would fit, he wasn't an expiring contract. See 2)

4) Grizzlies didn't look for a better deal. False, Gasol was on the market for at least a year. I saw a thread at a Lakers board where a fan predicted the trade a year in advance when it was obvious Memphis wanted to ship Pau out.

5) Memphis could have got better players. This is revisionist history because it isn't relevant. Yes they could have. The Grizzlies turned down a package of Pau for Luol Deng. Why? Deng wasn't an expiring contract. See 2).

6) Kwame Brown was a fat expiring contract. He was due to go, I am just surprised it took so long. Maybe because the T-Wolves were willing to trade Garnett to the Lakers, but insisted on getting both Bynum and Odom. They wouldn't take Kwame. In spite of Kobe's "Trade Me" demands, the Lakers held out to trade Kwame and Keep Bynum and Odom.

ElNono
04-24-2011, 05:49 PM

If your franchise's front office wasn't filled with a bunch of inept, dumbshits, maybe you wouldn't be down 2-1 against the fucking Vancouver Grizzlies :lmao

Learn to GM

That's pretty rich from a fan of a team that lost a 1st round series to the D'Antoni Suns... :lol

The problem for our front office is that they were so good, they started to flock to other teams... Happens when you're so successful...

ElNono
04-24-2011, 05:58 PM
3+ years later this trade is still being discussed...No one wants to move on. However, a month or so back I posted more of less the following, and got no answer. I'll try again.

I moved on 3+ years ago. This is not what this thread is about. This thread is about how, in hindsight, that trade made Memphis a 'solid' team now... which would somehow justify that the trade was not so one-sided. Which is a fallacious argument.

The reality is that any trade for Gasol in exchange for cap space would have had the same result... and that's very arguable that the Lakers offer was the best they could get for Pau.

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
04-24-2011, 06:13 PM
I moved on 3+ years ago. This is not what this thread is about. This thread is about how, in hindsight, that trade made Memphis a 'solid' team now... which would somehow justify that the trade was not so one-sided. Which is a fallacious argument.

The reality is that any trade for Gasol in exchange for cap space would have had the same result... and that's very arguable that the Lakers offer was the best they could get for Pau.
I agree the thread topic is a premature celebration. Series is far from over. Glad you moved on. However, in Memphis's case Pau was their franchise player. If you give him up, you have to justify it to your fan base somehow. Getting a Gasol back gives them hope he can fit in and was probably the best PR move Memphis could make. Imagine if the Spurs traded Ginobili but he had a much younger brother with talent they got in return. That wouldn't hurt so much, and plenty of hope for the future, just not now. Trading Pau for other expirings, I am not so certain, there was a lot of player movement after the trade, and I don't think big expirings were involved:

Phoneix pulled the trigger for Shaq. Lakers wouldn't do that.
Dallas went after Kidd. Lakers nixed that already, Bynum would have to go.
Spurs got Kurt Thomas. Granted, not much here.

I don't recall the other West playoff teams making deals, Houston, Utah, New Olreans (I recall a Chandler trade that the league voided, but don't remember which season it was), and Denver. They all did in later seasons though.

milkshakeballa
04-24-2011, 06:31 PM
milky sup nigga?

Longtime no see. Hit me up next time you swing through here, gotta show you how I'm livin, gotta new place

My nigga. U kno I will. U smashin bishes?

LkrFan
04-24-2011, 07:58 PM

1) First complaint is the Gasol for Kwame trade shook up the power balance in the west. Well, what about the initial Shaq trade in 2004? Didn't that shake up the power balance in the west? Why is this never mentioned? All the Lakers did was used the pieces left over; Caron to Kwame to Pau.

2) Memphis wanted expiring contracts for Gasol, nothing less. Their goal was to shed payroll and rebuild.

Note: Lakers didn't want to include Marc Gasol in the deal, but they had no choice. Memphis saw him as a legitimate prospect. Currently, he and Z-Bo cost about the same as Pau, but because Marc is young, it's two great players for the price of one. This can catch up to you down the line when you keep a top draft pick and he demands and gets big money. This tends to put you over the salary cap if you want to win. See Andrew Bynum, he's a big reason the Lakers are over the cap.

3) The Lakers gave up nothing to get Gasol. Well, Memphis wouldn't take Lamar Odom because although his salary would fit, he wasn't an expiring contract. See 2)

4) Grizzlies didn't look for a better deal. False, Gasol was on the market for at least a year. I saw a thread at a Lakers board where a fan predicted the trade a year in advance when it was obvious Memphis wanted to ship Pau out.

5) Memphis could have got better players. This is revisionist history because it isn't relevant. Yes they could have. The Grizzlies turned down a package of Pau for Luol Deng. Why? Deng wasn't an expiring contract. See 2).

6) Kwame Brown was a fat expiring contract. He was due to go, I am just surprised it took so long. Maybe because the T-Wolves were willing to trade Garnett to the Lakers, but insisted on getting both Bynum and Odom. They wouldn't take Kwame. In spite of Kobe's "Trade Me" demands, the Lakers held out to trade Kwame and Keep Bynum and Odom.

Great post. Most non-Laker fans will acknowledge this. Props. :tu

DMC
04-24-2011, 09:38 PM
Not better than the threepeat but the Shaq trade allowed the Lakers to reload and repeat. They would have never won another ring with Shaq. The Lakers with Gasol are much better than the Lakers with Shaq and Kobe the year Shaq was traded. Gasol only came as a result of the Shaq trade.
Now you are moving the goalposts. Trading Shaq did not make them better. They went 6 years without seeing another Finals, and 7 without winning one. For most teams that's not a huge window, some have many many more years with zero. However, since you said the Shaq trade made that happen, there needs to be a direct correlation between Shaq being traded and the team becoming a contender. 6 years is too long for that to develop when most contracts are only 4 years max.

LA got it's break from the Pau trade. Without that Kobe was going to probably be in Chicago or NY. The Shaq trade made it worse, not better. If you want to say they had to make it worse in order to get better, they were in the Finals and lost during a season where Kobe was in a legal court more than on the basketball court. That was the distraction. If you cannot win with Kobe, Shaq, Malone, Payton and Fisher, you simply cannot win. 4 for sure HOFers and one 89%er. I don't care about end of their years, whatever, Duncan is held to the high standards so should they be.

No, that dog won't hunt. Your break came with the collusion deal with Memphis. I give the Lakers props for that, great move. It had nothing to do with Shaq however, as Shaq went on to win another ring with Wade and who? Payton.

DMC
04-24-2011, 09:40 PM

Learn to GM

It's nothing new for California teams to cross lines to get winning teams, just ask Pete Carroll.

i MAke GOod POlls
04-25-2011, 01:28 AM
Now you are moving the goalposts. Trading Shaq did not make them better. They went 6 years without seeing another Finals, and 7 without winning one. For most teams that's not a huge window, some have many many more years with zero. However, since you said the Shaq trade made that happen, there needs to be a direct correlation between Shaq being traded and the team becoming a contender. 6 years is too long for that to develop when most contracts are only 4 years max.

LA got it's break from the Pau trade. Without that Kobe was going to probably be in Chicago or NY. The Shaq trade made it worse, not better. If you want to say they had to make it worse in order to get better, they were in the Finals and lost during a season where Kobe was in a legal court more than on the basketball court. That was the distraction. If you cannot win with Kobe, Shaq, Malone, Payton and Fisher, you simply cannot win. 4 for sure HOFers and one 89%er. I don't care about end of their years, whatever, Duncan is held to the high standards so should they be.

No, that dog won't hunt. Your break came with the collusion deal with Memphis. I give the Lakers props for that, great move. It had nothing to do with Shaq however, as Shaq went on to win another ring with Wade and who? Payton.

Good post except the bolded part.

There's 0% chance that Fisher is going to the Hall of Fame. Lakerfans don't even think he's worthy to get his jersey retired at Staples