PDA

View Full Version : Maybe the Grizzlies are just better...

Nick Manning
04-24-2011, 12:22 AM
All 3 games have been at a Memphis pace/style. The Spurs can't take away the Grizz's front court advantage, but Memphis has done a great job of taking away San Antonio's 3-point shooting. Memphis didn't even shoot well, and the Spurs got to the line more, yet it was still a loss.

Can these problems be rectified with the current personnel? Is it simply a matter of knocking down shots?

Discuss.

Strike
04-24-2011, 12:32 AM
I wouldn't say Memphis is better or worse. They definitely have the stronger frontcourt. That much is obvious. That, with Parker's poor play, Ginobili not at 100%, and Popovich's man love for Bonner is spelling an epic choke job from the Spurs.

4>0rings
04-24-2011, 12:37 AM
Our advantage is our back court, coaching, experience. Well, that's not amounting to shit in this series.

Nick Manning
04-24-2011, 12:40 AM
Having a better backcourt doesn't necessarily translate to success in the NBA Playoffs though. If this was March Madness I'd agree.

Strike
04-24-2011, 12:43 AM
So far the Spurs aren't playing anywhere near well enough to win. They should be up 3-0 even with the big man issues. They're just not bringing it.

Nick Manning
04-24-2011, 12:44 AM
So far the Spurs aren't playing anywhere near well enough to win. They should be up 3-0 even with the big man issues. They're just not bringing it.

So you think it's a matter of effort, rather than personnel?

mystargtr34
04-24-2011, 12:45 AM
When Parker plays like playoff Beno Udrih... the Grizzlies are clearly the better team.

Strike
04-24-2011, 12:48 AM
So you think it's a matter of effort, rather than personnel?

execution more than anything else. For example, If Parker was playing like we all know he's capable, Memphis is one game away from being swept. His jumper is nonexistent, he's not converting the and 1's and he's committing stupid turnovers.

4>0rings
04-24-2011, 12:48 AM
Having a better backcourt doesn't necessarily translate to success in the NBA Playoffs though. If this was March Madness I'd agree.
The point being we are matching them ALMOST with their strengths. All we need is ours to show up and the Spurs roll.

LakerHater
04-24-2011, 12:50 AM
Spurs lost two games by a total of 6 points. The Spurs are playing like crap & I really dont see them playin this way for long!!

Better team... NO

Bigger team, yeah!

Nick Manning
04-24-2011, 12:51 AM
execution more than anything else. For example, If Parker was playing like we all know he's capable, Memphis is one game away from being swept. His jumper is nonexistent, he's not converting the and 1's and he's committing stupid turnovers.

He's been uncharacteristically awful, I'll give you that. Is it anything the Grizz are doing, or is it just a funk?

2Cleva
04-24-2011, 12:52 AM
SA's strengths don't equate to post-season success.

If you can't dominate the paint and defend, then you're in trouble. SA is in trouble.

Nick Manning
04-24-2011, 12:52 AM
Spurs lost two games by a total of 6 points. The Spurs are playing like crap & I really dont see them playin this way for long!!

Better team... NO

Bigger team, yeah!

I don't know about you, but in my business size matters.

ynh
04-24-2011, 12:53 AM
I don't think they are a better team. The issue really is that Memphis is strongest where you are weakest. You guys got just about the worst first round match up that you could get. And the issue that is making this a series is that you either lack the personnel to adjust and cover those weaknesses or your coach is reluctant to do so by putting that much faith in a rookie. I haven't seen Tiago enough to comment on which of those is the case.

4>0rings
04-24-2011, 12:54 AM

If you can't dominate the paint and defend, then you're in trouble. SA is in trouble.
Basically. All it takes is for a team to shut down the 3p line and LA did this to us before, we never adjusted.

Strike
04-24-2011, 12:56 AM
I think it's just a funk. Over the years Parker has made mincemeat of opponents interior D on several occasions. Granted, Duncan being past his prime doesn't help but Parker is just making un-parker mistakes at an alarming rate. Could Duncan's age and Ginobili's bad arm be exposing Parker as not as great a guard as we thought? Maybe. But I just think he's shitting up the court at the absolute wrong time.

LakerHater
04-24-2011, 12:58 AM
I don't know about you, but in my business size matters.
Too bad your team cant match up!

analyzed
04-24-2011, 12:58 AM
This series could have very easily been 3-0 for the Spurs if Manu din't miss game one and was 100 % for game 3.

That being said there is no other way at looking at it , but Marc and Randolph have been simply outplaying Tim and Dice (although both are playing courageous and still affecitve they are far from their old self) . The Spurs are not doing themselves any favors either by playing bonner and Blair. Call it what it is , Pop's failure to integrate Splitter into the rotation for whatever reason has proven to be the most telling reason for our inability to compete. Sucees in the Playoffs have always been decided in the trenches in the Paint and we simply failed to make use of our resources.

The other story has to be Parker. No way should he be outplayed by Conley. This is the one postion where we were supposed to have a distinct advantage.

On those 3 counts , there goes our season. yeah we still might make it to the second round but unless these 3 points are addressed were not going anywhere
1. Manu being manu
2. Protecting the paint ( Can't teach size , hint : Tiago)
3. Tony has to play like the allstar he is supposed to be

jhuan16
04-24-2011, 01:00 AM
Everyone plays better when Matt Bonner is guarding them.

Nick Manning
04-24-2011, 01:01 AM
Here's the thing that's disconcerting though...Parker and Ginobili (awful and injured, respectively) are still getting effective penetration into the lane. Even if Parker makes some of those shots, it's not curing the 3-point woes that ail the entire team. Tim not commanding a double-team anymore also hurts that.

The problem runs deeper than Parker's offensive struggles, imo.

TDfan2007
04-24-2011, 01:11 AM
As of now, Memphis is the better team...obviously. Their players are playing harder, smarter, and faster than ours. Tim has been worthless offensively in the fourth quarter of games, Tony's been worthless throughout, Manu's hurt, George Hill left his balls in San Antonio, and the rest of our role players have been bad/awful.

It's obvious that the Spurs expected this series to be easier, and now that they've been punched in the mouth they're starting to get nervous. Game 4 will be a dogfight, but I expect the Spurs to win. If not, this series is over in 6 games, and the Spurs will go down Mav-style.

ElNono
04-24-2011, 01:16 AM
Maybe the OP is a faggot...

mexicanjunior
04-24-2011, 01:18 AM
The Grizzlies are better because Popovich handicapped his team by getting Manu injured in Phoenix...then refusing to play Splitter ahead of Blair/Bonner...he has no one to blame but himself for this embarresment...

Nick Manning
04-24-2011, 01:20 AM
Maybe the OP is a faggot...

You've had a rough day scrah, and I will accept your verbal/typed abuse if it means your anger is redirected from your wife and kids to me. Don't beat them tonight like every other Spurs fan. Don't be a statistic.

Nick Manning
04-24-2011, 01:21 AM
The Grizzlies are better because Popovich handicapped his team by getting Manu injured in Phoenix...then refusing to play Splitter ahead of Blair/Bonner...he has no one to blame but himself for this embarresment...

qft

ElNono
04-24-2011, 01:22 AM
You've had a rough day scrah, and I will accept your verbal/typed abuse if it means your anger is redirected from your wife and kids to me. Don't beat them tonight like every other Spurs fan. Don't be a statistic.

I had a fine day. The losses have been both a 3 point affair, and Spurs have played pretty horribly so far. I think we can turn it around...

Now, if my team had a 20+ lead on the road and choked it all up, then I would be pretty upset... :lol

Nick Manning
04-24-2011, 01:24 AM
I had a fine day. The losses have been both a 3 point affair, and Spurs have played pretty horribly so far. I think we can turn it around...

Now, if my team had a 20+ lead on the road and choked it all up, then I would be pretty upset... :lol

I enjoyed both those losses today, thoroughly tbh

ManuBalboa
04-24-2011, 01:25 AM

This. Spurs are like Mongols who quit using horses - Englishmen who gave up the Long Bow.

ElNono
04-24-2011, 01:25 AM
I enjoyed both those losses today, thoroughly tbh

Sure you did, Mavfan :lol

Nick Manning
04-24-2011, 01:43 AM
Sure you did, Mavfan :lol

Slander

rmt
04-24-2011, 01:48 AM
I honestly think that the Spurs underestimated them. TP's comment (that he would talk to him) when Barkley said he thought MEM would win and Pop not playing Manu in the first game - even if Manu played a few mins. it would have lifted the arena and team (instead they were deflated).

Ultimately, I think Pop doomed them in the playoffs by not integrating Splitter (paint defense), but I did think they had enough to get into the second round. Pop's decision to play the starters and the resulting injury to Manu has severely handicapped them. Even if they manage to win this series, they'll be fatigued and beaten up and OKC looks like they're going to sweep. TP's poor play hasn't helped.

ALVAREZ6
04-24-2011, 02:42 AM
Memphis is better. Fuck the Spurs, they are the biggest pussies in the universe, except for Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili. Everyone else on the team has a wider vagina than Snooki.

dbestpro
04-24-2011, 05:58 AM
I do not believe this for one second. They have virtually no outside shot and have to attack the basket to score. All we need to do is protect the paint. Pop should have had Splitter better prepared for the playoffs with more PT during the regular season.

Splitter would have clogged the lanes and this series would have been a cakewalk.

Basketball Jones
04-24-2011, 07:09 AM
Memphis is proving they are currently playing better ball. Period. Don't blame on this on Pop as he cannot control Parker's lame performance thus far and the poor team shooting.

21_Blessings
04-24-2011, 08:48 AM

They've been in trouble since November then.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2011, 09:57 AM
They've been in trouble since 2006 then.

peacemaker885
04-24-2011, 10:05 AM
I also think Memphis is better at this point. I'm a Spurs fan, but I'm also realistic. If we loose then we loose. If we win, then great.

DDS4
04-24-2011, 10:08 AM
They are (so far). They're taking advantage of every matchup except for the 2 guard position.

Memphis is pounding the Spurs in the post, getting enough penetration for kick outs, timely 3-point shooting, and getting stops when they need to.

Sounds familar? It's what the Spurs used to do.

Memphis is San Antonio Spur'ing the Spurs.

rmt
04-24-2011, 10:10 AM
They've been in trouble since 2006 then.

Pop's decision not to put a true big man next to Duncan started in that Mavs series. Irony is that they have a perfectly good one sitting on the bench. Now I know how PHX fans feel. Pop of all people should know that this gimmicky 3 point, push the pace stuff doesn't work in the playoffs. C'mon TP. C'mon Pop - put Splitter on Gasol in the next game - it's not too late yet - don't wait until the elimination game like you did with Hill.

Fpoonsie
04-24-2011, 10:19 AM
In the end, it doesn't really matter. They're up 2-1 in the series, regardless.

Tbh, I think the only time the Spurs were, clear-cut, the best team in the playoffs was '99, over a fucking DECADE ago. The rest of the 'chip runs have been due in LARGE part to timely shots, timely fouls, timely injuries, and favorable matchups between our other opponents.

mVp
04-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Imagine if they had Rudy Gay...

Nick Manning
04-26-2011, 12:20 PM
yup, Memphis is just better.

Isitjustme?
04-26-2011, 01:12 PM
In the end, it doesn't really matter. They're up 2-1 in the series, regardless.

Tbh, I think the only time the Spurs were, clear-cut, the best team in the playoffs was '99, over a fucking DECADE ago. The rest of the 'chip runs have been due in LARGE part to timely shots, timely fouls, timely injuries, and favorable matchups between our other opponents.

:rolleyes You could also say our losses in 04 and 06 were due to the same things.

SenorSpur
04-26-2011, 01:24 PM
It's funny because I was coming to this realization yesterday, after watching that horrendous 3rd quarter. The swarming Grizzlies have simply been younger, hungrier and increasingly more physical. They look like the #1 seed and the Spurs have looked like the 8th seed. It's not as though they haven't beaten good teams throughout the regular season and even won the season series over the Thunder 3-1.

Maybe this isn't the upset that most of us think?

Fpoonsie
04-26-2011, 01:27 PM
:rolleyes You could also say our losses in 04 and 06 were due to the same things.

True.

My point was we were never head and shoulders above anyone else except for the '99 season.

DeadlyDynasty
04-26-2011, 01:28 PM
It's funny because I was coming to this realization yesterday, after watching that horrendous 3rd quarter. The swarming Grizzlies have simply been younger, hungrier and increasingly more physical. They look like the #1 seed and the Spurs have looked like the 8th seed. It's not as though they haven't beaten good teams throughout the regular season and even won the season series over the Thunder 3-1.

Maybe this isn't the upset that most of us think?

It's still a huge upset. Remember that the Grizzlies are w/o their top player and only legitimate perimeter scorer.

spurtech09
04-26-2011, 01:42 PM
agree:toast