PDA

View Full Version : Pop, make a choice.

Drewlius
04-24-2011, 02:06 AM
Pop, you have two options.

1. Go with your run-and-gun style that lead you to the best record in the NBA.

2. Go with your old-school half court offense that you used previously in playoff runs.

Just don't go with option 3, and get lost in translation. You can't have the best of both worlds. Just realize that if you go with option 2 , the "old-school playoff strategy" it only worked with a great defense(Bowen), the best PF of all time; and a 7'0" to accompany him. Yes, another "free Splitter" thread. ONLY if this is the route Pop wants to take.

suitedkings
04-24-2011, 02:08 AM
option 3 - Bonner

gospursgojas
04-24-2011, 02:09 AM
Option 4 Small ball. Rj at the 4

VBM
04-24-2011, 02:10 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3561/3559022434_178a7d0509.jpg

Nick Manning
04-24-2011, 02:10 AM
No-win situation, tbh. TP will come around eventually, but he can't stop the Memphis front court. There's somebody who can help, but Pop has forsaken him

ElNono
04-24-2011, 02:12 AM
Splitter isn't going to make TP have a decent game...

Drewlius
04-24-2011, 02:17 AM

Yea that's fine. Let's play some run-and-gun basketball then. We don't need Splitter for that. But if Pop is going to try and slow shit up, then we need him. I realize Memphis is a terrible matchup for us. But let's stop playing into their hands, and attempting to big body Gasol/Randolph, it's obvious that it isn't going to work. Get out and run with these overweight beasts and we can break them.

Borosai
04-24-2011, 02:22 AM
I'd say this team is too small to play great defense consistently, specifically at 3 and 5 (assuming Duncan is still a 4). Splitter could help with size at 5, but that's it. Bowen was amazing at being able to defend 1-3, and 4 depending on the opponent. The Spurs play Neal/Ginobili at SF. It's sad that the holes were never filled, even after the past two years of embarrassing playoff exits.

But there's always next year (semi-seriously).

ElNono
04-24-2011, 02:23 AM
Yea that's fine. Let's play some run-and-gun basketball then. We don't need Splitter for that. But if Pop is going to try and slow shit up, then we need him. I realize Memphis is a terrible matchup for us. But let's stop playing into their hands, and attempting to big body Gasol/Randolph, it's obvious that it isn't going to work. Get out and run with these overweight beasts and we can break them.

You don't always dictate the pace... We ran some today and TP missed or turned it over a couple of times... Shots he normally makes. I'm not opposed to playing Splitter instead of Blair/Bonner, but bottom line, Tony has to get back to normal, no matter the pace. He needs to drive even if he's swarmed inside and then kick... he just stopped playing at times.

TDMVPDPOY
04-24-2011, 04:38 AM
i swear all you clowns make it sound like splitter is a fkn scrub or someshit

splitter is shit on offense yes, but its not like the spurs made plays for rasho down low

splitter can play rasho like defense and we got away with it by just putting a big down low and getting better position and putting ur 2 hands up forcing bad shot attempts..something B+B cant seem to do...hence i rather have that extra inch or height of a big down low then 2 small bigs doing a big mans job....

Mal
04-24-2011, 05:28 AM
Good point. Memphis play very phisical, Spurs need big bodies in paint. Dice and Duncan are playing decent, but Blair and especially Bonner sucks.

SplitterHook
04-24-2011, 05:46 AM
I would eat my feces if Mark Gasol had a highly efficient game if Splitter was the one guarding him most of the game.

spurs50_
04-24-2011, 09:01 AM
Pops rotations make me wanna spit.

DPG21920
04-24-2011, 09:14 AM
Pop, you have two options.

1. Go with your run-and-gun style that lead you to the best record in the NBA.

2. Go with your old-school half court offense that you used previously in playoff runs.

Just don't go with option 3, and get lost in translation. You can't have the best of both worlds. Just realize that if you go with option 2 , the "old-school playoff strategy" it only worked with a great defense(Bowen), the best PF of all time; and a 7'0" to accompany him. Yes, another "free Splitter" thread. ONLY if this is the route Pop wants to take.

I agree with everything except the Tiago part. This is by far my biggest concern and worry. They ARE NOT playing the same basketball and I don't mean players performing. They are stuck "in-between". They are not running like they should and aren't doing the things in half-court that they should if they want to slow it down.

This team, like every team in every sport, struggles mightily when then they have to over think and are passive. When you don't have an identity.

Spurs right now have lost their identity and they have to choose (the choice was made made before the season, so stick with it).

No-win situation, tbh. TP will come around eventually, but he can't stop the Memphis front court. There's somebody who can help, but Pop has forsaken him

I am a huge Tiago fan, but what he brings and what is causing the Spurs to lose IMO is not the issue. Would I like Tiago to play? Yes. Do I think that makes the difference? Not in this series. This series isn't being lost on that issue.

Spurs are out rebounding MEM. Spurs have held MEM to 41% shooting in the last two games. While Splitter playing "might" be nice, he doesn't change the things causing the Spurs to lose which are TP playing poorly, Manu being hurt and struggling and no 3PT shooting.

The only thing Tiago could bring that "could" impact the games more positively is energy. But you could just as easily get that from a Blair or Neal or Hill....