PDA

View Full Version : Marc Stein: "Parker's struggles are the biggest worry"

biba
04-24-2011, 03:08 AM
Marc Stein - who knows BB - states the obvious: Spurs troubles are Parkers' first and foremost.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2011/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=grizzspurs-110423

Crunch time belongs to Randolph
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
April 23, 2011

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Maybe the Memphis Grizzlies really did tank those last couple games of the regular season because they really did want to see mighty San Antonio in the first round of the playoffs. Maybe Lionel Hollins will eventually be able to admit that to us someday.

Trust me, though.

Hollins did not want this.

Nowhere to be found on Hollins' wish list was the script that had the Grizzlies coming home to roll up a 15-point lead, surrendering all of that lead, transforming the most raucous crowd in Grizzlies history into the most jittery Grizzlies crowd of all time ... and then mis-running the most important play of the game.

"The play kinda got busted," Hollins admitted later. "I screwed it up during the timeout. I didn't want it the way it was [run]."

Yet you suspect he'll live with the result. The ball never made its way inside to Marc Gasol as diagrammed in Saturday night's final minute, landing instead in the hands of Zach Randolph behind the 3-point line with the shot clock ticking down fast and Tim Duncan daring him to shoot. It all became a bit more bearable when Randolph -- after shooting 8-for-43 from deep in the regular season -- rainbowed in this triple from the right wing with 41.9 seconds remaining and ultimately clinched a 91-88 win.

So ...

The real screw-up in this Game 3 for Hollins would have been successfully digging his eyes out, which appeared to be his intent about halfway through the fourth quarter at the height of Memphis' crunch-time exasperation. He instead had the rare pleasure of watching his eighth-seeded upstarts contribute to an evening of wild finishes all over the NBA map and secure another slice of history, escaping with the Grizzlies' first-ever home playoff win when the famously poised Spurs did something historic of their own -- malfunctioning as badly as anyone could remember at the end.

Randolph (25 points) gave the Spurs one last chance when he missed another way-out jumper with just under seven seconds to go. But George Hill advanced the rebound faster than Spurs coach Gregg Popovich could call timeout before pitching the ball to Manu Ginobili, who wound up getting himself trapped by Marc Gasol and Mike Conley along the right sideline without even getting a shot off. Which left Duncan -- already in disbelief after Randolph's bomb -- asking referee John Goble in vain after the buzzer how he could possibly miss TD signaling for a TO.

Hearkening back to Randolph's 3, Duncan said: "I didn't assume that was in his arsenal at that point of the game."

More than a few assumptions perished on this night, despite the palpable here-we-go-again dread that unmistakably spread through just the season's fifth sellout at the FedExForum when the Grizz -- 0-6 lifetime at home in the playoffs and 0-4 in this building before Saturday's breakthrough -- found themselves locked in an 80-80 game with 5:14 to go.

Lots of locals might have been too nervous in that fourth quarter to wave those white "Growl Towels" with the same fervor they did in the first half, but now they know that the new Grizzlies don't always fold. Just as these Spurs can't simply presume that experience will bail them out, as it so often has in the past, because the Grizz -- as Shane Battier likes to say -- appear to be too young and oblivious to know that No. 8 seeds aren't supposed to torment 61-win teams like they have.

Someone asked Conley if this was the win that officially announced the Grizzlies to the nation, to which he replied: "I hope so. If we're not [for real] now, then we will be. We're not worried about what people think. We're just going to keep grinding and playing our way until people gives us respect. I know the Spurs respect us."

Affirmative. The Spurs will be unashamedly grateful to get back to San Antonio for Game 5 at 2-2 given the issues they're facing now, starting with Tony Parker's consistent inability to outplay Conley after being hailed by his coaches for turning in the most consistent regular season of his career.
The failure to call a timeout to set up a final shot in a one-possession game was embarrassing. Ditto for the fact that A) Duncan set the tone for the evening by airballing his first free throw and B) Randolph made almost as many 3s as the usually deadly Spurs (2-for-15) did as a team.

But Parker's struggles are the biggest worry, even bigger than Antonio McDyess' scary late exit after McDyess injured his neck in a tangle with Duncan. With Ginobili already playing hurt thanks to that sprained right elbow, San Antonio needs Parker to win the matchup at point guard. Parker certainly had the flashier shoes in Game 3, switching to his silver space-boot look, but Conley has been undeniably steadier. The next time Parker conclusively wins that matchup will be the first.

"We were not sharp enough finding our teammates," Ginobili said, shifting some of the blame onto himself in a bid to perhaps ease the rising burden on Parker. "Two-for-15 is not us. We've been the best 3-point shooting team in the league for 82 games."

As for McDyess?

"Timmy came down on my neck and bent it sideways," Dice said. "That was some of the worst pain I've encountered. My arm was totally numb. I've never experienced anything like that. The doctors say it's just a bad stinger. I think I'll be OK. They say all the feeling will come back eventually."

One more worry for the trailing Spurs: Memphis' confidence is bound to spike now that it has managed to deliver for its desperate fan base. The Grizzlies look decidedly unfazed by the crowd's high expectations. Or their ongoing struggles from outside apart from Randolph's fairy-tale triple. Or the glaring lack of a dependable backup, with apologies to Greivis Vasquez, to get Conley some rest.

Even Hollins, frequently annoyed by the questions he gets from the press, sounded almost nostalgic as he spoke of his excitement "for the city of Memphis" and couldn't stifle a broad smile when asked to share what he was really thinking when Randolph hoisted his bailout rainbow.

"I'm glad he did," Hollins said.

"We've still got miles to go, but I'm happy we are where we are."

ALVAREZ6
04-24-2011, 03:12 AM
crofl 7 game series vs. 8th seed. CROFL

Sean Cagney
04-24-2011, 03:13 AM
Al not funny but it's a reality now pretty much if they get to that 7th game!

ALVAREZ6
04-24-2011, 03:18 AM
i remember my first time playing basketball

siraulo23
04-24-2011, 04:16 AM

who cares, as long as they win
boston went through a 7 game series vs the hawks

lets see if the spurs have it in them and fight back

TDMVPDPOY
04-24-2011, 04:33 AM
i doubt this is going to 7 games series

this will end in game 5 or 6 to the hands of the grizz, they look determine and serious since they have nothing to lose

while for the spurs look scared and having their shit pushed back in playing 2 on 8 out there...crucial parts of the game where we can make a run, just stupid TURNOVERS and shot selection is costing us the games

Bruno
04-24-2011, 04:35 AM
Haters gonna hate...

TDMVPDPOY
04-24-2011, 04:47 AM
Haters gonna hate...

haters aint hating for a reason when its actual fact in this series, parker is playing like shit for no apparent reason.....he wants to be leader, leaders take blame...you can start pointing fingers at the bench and shit, but whats his excuse for choking against mike conley? MIKE FKN CONLEY

Vic Petro
04-24-2011, 05:01 AM
Spurs aren't losing this series because Pop won't play Splitter. They are losing because TP is not giving them what he did in the reg season.

Pauleta14
04-24-2011, 05:10 AM

And against the Bulls the year they won...

LkrFan
04-24-2011, 05:15 AM
Mike Conley is underrated and is probably just as quick as TP is. In other words, TP has his hands full. He has to guard Conley and produce points as the Spurs' 2nd option. That's a lot to ask for and it shows.

boutons_deux
04-24-2011, 06:36 AM
7? These Spurs are fishin at 6 max, maybe 5.

Josepatches_
04-24-2011, 07:47 AM
haters aint hating for a reason when its actual fact in this series, parker is playing like shit for no apparent reason.....he wants to be leader, leaders take blame...you can start pointing fingers at the bench and shit, but whats his excuse for choking against mike conley? MIKE FKN CONLEY

This.

It's playoff time.It's the time for the best players.

He sucks and obviously he's the biggest reason of our problems. An injured Manu can't defeat Memphis alone. We aren't so much better than Memphis.

Sure Pop could do a better job but we can't win this series if Parker didn't come to play.

lowdown
04-24-2011, 07:54 AM
I'm so pissed!

ploto
04-24-2011, 08:00 AM
...Tony Parker's consistent inability to outplay Conley after being hailed by his coaches for turning in the most consistent regular season of his career.

Is this really true? I thought that Tony's defense was anything but consistent this season.

GrandeDavid
04-24-2011, 08:06 AM

I'm doubtful this will even go seven games.

21_Blessings
04-24-2011, 08:44 AM
"Parker is better than Rose" - DPG

wildbill2u
04-24-2011, 08:52 AM
At least twice Parker was unable to control the ball while bringing it up court, lost it to a steal by Conley, and wound up on the floor while Memphis went into scoring transition.

The refs have let them play a little rougher and Conley has simply bullied Parker all three games.

Flux451
04-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Spurs are playing like an 8th seed

pjjrfan
04-24-2011, 10:02 AM
Having Tony at peak capacity would help neutralize the glaring weakness this team has in the paint, but even if Tony was burning it up this series would still be a grind because of the Grizzlies size. Tony missing on his jump shot is not surprising, the fact that he is not finishing at the rim is whats really baffling or that he can't finish a fast break without turning the ball over or taking a bad shot and the fact that he seems to have forgotten he has teammates is also disdturbing. But Manu and Hill have also gone blind when it comes to open guys on the perimeter.

Cane
04-24-2011, 10:11 AM
Parker's easily been the worst overall playoffs Spur. Mike Conley might as well be a young Gary Payton out there with the way Parker is getting abused. It also seems like the entire Grizz team are simply able to poke the ball out of Parker's hands :depressed

Budkin
04-24-2011, 10:37 AM

I don't think anyone won a road game in those series.

Pauleta14
04-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Is this really true? I thought that Tony's defense was anything but consistent this season.

You thought wrong. But it's ok...

MmP
04-24-2011, 11:37 AM
i don't get why he's so confidence low now, he couldn't even bring the ball up. it's scary.

Pauleta14
04-24-2011, 11:59 AM
i don't get why he's so confidence low now, he couldn't even bring the ball up. it's scary.

That's something I both admire and hate about Parker, his ability to be immune to criticism...

He looks like a robot sometimes. :bang

MullinFan
04-24-2011, 12:06 PM
the problem starts with tony, and ends with him....he has not played aggressive at all vs the grizz.

boutons_deux
04-24-2011, 12:09 PM
He looks like a robot sometimes. :bang

When he looks so detached, disinterested, bland, complete lack of affect, I wonder if he's on anti-depressants.

Pauleta14
04-24-2011, 12:14 PM
TBH, if TP is the problem in this series, even with a great TP, we won't go very far with this frontcourt, OKC or the Lakers will distroy us...

and I don't see who we can resolve this problem for next season.

Pauleta14
04-24-2011, 12:18 PM
When he looks so detached, disinterested, bland, complete lack of affect, I wonder if he's on anti-depressants.

:lol

It's weird, because it's one of his strength and the reason he was so mature, so early and it's also the reason he isn't really loved by the media or even by his own fans, he rarely shows emotions...

I guess nobody's perfect

ploto
04-24-2011, 12:39 PM
...he couldn't even bring the ball up. it's scary.

Possessed by the spirit of Beno.

ElNono
04-24-2011, 12:44 PM
TBH, if TP is the problem in this series, even with a great TP, we won't go very far with this frontcourt, OKC or the Lakers will distroy us...

OKC has a much less talented front court than Memphis. Neither Ibaka or Perkins have a post game. Their backups are Nick Collison and Nazr Mohammed, neither has a post game either.

boutons_deux
04-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Tony's best games are where he looks alert, awake, really into it, intense, emotional, engaged with his teammates.

Pauleta14
04-24-2011, 02:23 PM
OKC has a much less talented front court than Memphis. Neither Ibaka or Perkins have a post game. Their backups are Nick Collison and Nazr Mohammed, neither has a post game either.

I worried about length (Lakers) and energy (okc)...

anyway, we're not there yet! :lol

Pauleta14
04-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Tony's best games are where he looks alert, awake, really into it, intense, emotional, engaged with his teammates.

I agree with the others, but emotional and engaged with teamates? TP?

occasionaly yes, but I remember some of his best games, he stays focus and doesn't show any emotion...

Watch again the highlights of his 55pts game or his bck to bck 76pts 20ast (combine :)) against Dallas and Portland.

DPG21920
04-24-2011, 02:31 PM
I don't care about TP's emotions. I care about results. TP sucks right now and he is the main reason they are losing. There are other factors, but all that matters is what is going on now and right now, TP is hurting the Spurs in a bad way and he shouldn't be defended at all.

spurtech09
04-24-2011, 03:27 PM
maybe something is up with him....you never know?he could be playing hurt

kaji157
04-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Start Hill, Parker cannot handle Conley, and if he can, he better show first he can handle the second unit.
Enought of lettig him dissapear in PO for nothing.

DPG21920
04-24-2011, 03:58 PM
If he is playing hurt, then you bench him. He is hurting more than helping and that was Pop's logic for keeping Manu out of game 1.

ElNono
04-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Start Hill, Parker cannot handle Conley, and if he can, he better show first he can handle the second unit.

You mean the same Hill that didn't call a timeout when the last game was within reach? Tony is supposed to be the more seasoned veteran that fought through many battles. He doesn't need to be bailed out. He needs to play and we need him to play well.

kaji157
04-24-2011, 04:20 PM
You mean the same Hill that didn't call a timeout when the last game was within reach? Tony is supposed to be the more seasoned veteran that fought through many battles. He doesn't need to be bailed out. He needs to play and we need him to play well.

Yes, because with Hill we wouldnt have gotten to that play at all.
It was a winnable game lost by a sucking guy who couldn't match up the energy.
I can tolerate misses and struggles, but not being overworked.

GrandeDavid
04-24-2011, 04:22 PM

I agree. The Spurs will handle OKC, and I don't care if the Spurs "expend energy" going seven against Memphis. But if the Lakers want it, I definitely don't see the Spurs getting past them.

Pauleta14
04-24-2011, 05:04 PM

:lmao

Ghazi
04-24-2011, 05:10 PM
"Parker is better than Rose" - DPG

crucify him/tree of woe

DPG21920
04-24-2011, 05:12 PM
Last year, he was.

John Basedow
04-24-2011, 05:19 PM
Last year, he was.

Was Bosh better than Amare last year too?

:stirpot:

DPG21920
04-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Probably and he is about the same this year as well :lol

DPG21920
04-24-2011, 05:32 PM
I wish the Spurs had Dwight Howard.

That is all.

John Basedow
04-24-2011, 05:33 PM
I wish the Spurs had Dwight Howard.

That is all.

We'll have him in a couple years...looking forward to it :tu

lefty
04-25-2011, 08:42 AM
Start George Hill in game 4 instead of TP, just to shake things up.

Josepatches_
04-25-2011, 09:30 AM
It could work.

Parker has to wake up.Pop could play him off the bench.

The problem is Manu.If he is fully healthy then it works.We saw it last year against Dallas.

Leetonidas
04-25-2011, 09:30 AM
It really is funny how close the Spurs were to being up 3-0 and sweeping the Grizz tonight even though 80% of the team has played like hot garbage. Grizz trolls are annoying and confident, but I think a nice dose of reality will be administered tonight. Parker is due.

Josepatches_
04-25-2011, 09:34 AM
It really is funny how close the Spurs were to being up 3-0 and sweeping the Grizz tonight even though 80% of the team has played like hot garbage. Grizz trolls are annoying and confident, but I think a nice dose of reality will be administered tonight. Parker is due.

True.

With or without Tiago if only TP had been playing at his level we could be up 2-1 at worst.

Leetonidas
04-25-2011, 09:43 AM

Great point. I've been saying this is the reason OKC won't beat us. They have the frountcourt to match up defensively with other tall frontcourts, which we don't have, so their advantage is negated because their frontcourt has no offense, and stopping frontcourt players is our Spurs' biggest problem.

ElNono
04-25-2011, 09:44 AM
I agree. The Spurs will handle OKC, and I don't care if the Spurs "expend energy" going seven against Memphis. But if the Lakers want it, I definitely don't see the Spurs getting past them.

The Lakers wanted it last night too. They're just not that good this season. I don't know they're getting out of the 2nd round, tbh

romsho
04-25-2011, 10:10 AM

OKC is not as tough a matchup for the Spurs as Memphis. Not just the size and physicality of the interior defenders, but the perimeter defense led by Conley, Allen and Battier is tougher than what OKC offers outside of Sefalosha.

But to get back to the point of the thread, no single player is having a bigger impact on this series than Tony Parker. He was supposed to be a major advantage for the Spurs to counter the Memphis matchup advantages, and has instead been nothing short of a disadvantage. His inability to get to and finish at the rim, shoot a decent percentage from outside, handle the ball, run the offense, and create fastbreak opportunities is the major reason why the Spurs are not competing at a level anywhere close to that of during the regular season. He's doing nothing well. With Manu gimped and an older Tim Duncan, one would expect that Parker would even raise his level of play to meet the challenge. Very disappointing.

ducks
04-25-2011, 10:14 AM
parker hopefully had a cold and is now full of energy for game tonight

give him some fluid by

ALVAREZ6
04-25-2011, 10:16 AM
parker hopefully had a cold and is now full of energy for game tonight

give him some fluid by

:lol

ducks
04-25-2011, 10:20 AM
it was reported he had a cold against the suns last game of the season and his chest was burning

ALVAREZ6
04-25-2011, 11:19 AM
How long do colds last and how significantly do they affect you? Pussiest excuse I've heard.

vanvannen
04-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Although I agree Tony is the main liability and if he was playing nearly close to his potential the Spurs would be in much better shape, he is not the only reason for this debacle.
One of the main reasons why the Spurs had such an outstading regular season are the role players.
So far in this series, Bonner has been a non factor, Neal not only is not hitting any shots, but he is totally out of control. Hill is ok, but not really that good and Novak and Splitter are not even playing.
At this point it is pretty obvious that unless Manu & Tim have stellar games and Tony chips in, there is nothing further than a first round exit for this team.

ALVAREZ6
04-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Although I agree Tony is the main liability and if he was playing nearly close to his potential the Spurs would be in much better shape, he is not the only reason for this debacle.
One of the main reasons why the Spurs had such an outstading regular season are the role players.
So far in this series, Bonner has been a non factor, Neal not only is not hitting any shots, but he is totally out of control. Hill is ok, but not really that good and Novak and Splitter are not even playing.
At this point it is pretty obvious that unless Manu & Tim have stellar games and Tony chips in, there is nothing further than a first round exit for this team.

Thing is, this is completely expected from our mentally weak bench players (Neal is the exception in my opinion, I expect more from him). Bonner, obviously don't expect much from him, we all know what his limitations are. Neal does need to step up, and I just don't know why so many of our guards are playing like out of control dickheads. In summary, inconsistent bench play in the playoffs was pretty much an expectation going in for me, and all of the big 3 need to bring it every night having been there and done that several times together. There just is no excuse, TP is playing like a rookie.

Pauleta14
04-25-2011, 01:07 PM
Alvarez, evreybody agrees on the fact that Tony isn't near the level he's expected to be, no need to argue on it.

But could you at least admit that the Grizz aren't playing TP as if he was a rookie?

I mean that they are doing a terrific job at denying TP his way to the basket and are throwing 2 or 3 guys at him each time...

Conley is doing a decrent job, but he isn't the reason TP is playing so bad, their big and the way they pack in the paint has more to do with it.

He should involve his teamates better but memphis is doing a great job at cutting the passing lanes, he obviously fear the TOs so often go one on one instead of sharing the ball.

My point is that, as disapointing as Tony may be, we shouldn't underestimate Memphis job on him.
He is obviously the spur player they fear the most and is the center of their attention, even more than manu, becaus eof his speed and afficiency at the rim.

It reminds me the job the Lakers did on him in the PO after TP distroyed them (most of the time the 1 or 2 game of the series). It's very hard for ANY PLAYER to deal with such a D, I don't think there is another team in the league that plays so tough/physical on D...

TBH a rookie Tony Parker would have disappear and at least, he's still working his ass off...

Let's hope his jumper is back, he has to make them repect it, if not it's over...

Taco
04-25-2011, 01:22 PM
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/nba/_photos/2003-06-12-claxton-inside.jpg

Where's Speedy Claxton when we need him ! :lol