PDA

View Full Version : Epic failure leaves Nowitzki, Mavericks frustrated

duncan228
04-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Epic failure leaves Nowitzki, Mavericks frustrated (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-trailblazers-mavericks)
By Jaime Aron

Dirk Nowitzki was a free agent last summer, unshackled from the Dallas Mavericks for the first time in his career. It was his chance to escape a franchise with a long track record of winning big in the regular season and losing painfully in the postseason.

The former MVP signed up for four more years because he wanted to turn around that reputation.

Just a week into the playoffs, the Mavs are in jeopardy of adding to it.

Dallas went to Portland with the chance to pull off a sweep, but returned home licking its wounds following one of the most humiliating losses of the NBA’s shot-clock era. The Mavericks spit up a 23-point lead with 13 minutes left to lose Game 4 and knot the series at 2-2.

Game 5 is in Dallas on Monday night. A return trip to Portland is already set for Game 6 on Thursday night.

“Frustration is definitely at a high level,” Nowitzki said. “There is a huge difference from being up 3-1 and 2-2. This is definitely up there with the most frustrating losses.”

In Nowitzki’s collection of most frustrating losses, nothing can top blowing a 13-point, fourth-quarter lead while up 2-0 in the 2006 NBA finals against the Miami Heat. This one is in the ballpark, though.

Up 2-0 for the first time since that infamous series, the Mavericks were halfway to only their second series win since then. They had the chance to sweep the Trail Blazers, or to return home with a chance to knock ‘em out. By losing both games, this title-starved collection of veterans in their 30s guaranteed themselves at least two more games in a series that keeps getting more physical, plus another round-trip flight to the Pacific Northwest.

And, of course, the immediate concern is getting over what Jason Kidd called “one of the toughest losses I’ve ever been involved in.”

“But we can still win the series, and that’s where our focus has to be,” Kidd said. “We have to stay together and get home and come out Monday with the same focus and intensity as we did today. Then we just have to finish.”

Keep reading... (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-trailblazers-mavericks)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-trailblazers-mavericks

DMC
04-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Premature.

Dallas was up big and relaxed on the road. They will win the series. I feel pretty confident of that.

Jodelo
04-24-2011, 03:28 PM
They were too relaxed, 3-1 was there and they were unable to grab it from the table...

21_Blessings
04-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Premature.

Dallas was up big and relaxed on the road. They will win the series. I feel pretty confident of that.

Never underestimate the Dallas Mavericks' penchant for chokery.

First rule of the NBA Forum, grey.

I hope Dallas comes out alive too, but I'm not holding my breath.

4>0rings
04-24-2011, 03:39 PM
Spurs would love to get some of that 2-2. How is this impending doom for Dallas?

DMC
04-24-2011, 03:51 PM

I've been around longer than the NBA forum, kid.

ChrisRichards
04-24-2011, 04:04 PM
This series will go to 7 games with Dallas winning it overall because I believe they are the better team and that HCA will be crucial.

I love B. Roy to death, but I dont think he'll be able to replicate that performance again in this series.

i MAke GOod POlls
04-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Spurs would love to get some of that 2-2. How is this impending doom for Dallas?

Do the Spurs have a history of choking away leads?

DMC
04-24-2011, 04:12 PM
One of them has a history of choking out college chicks.

SomeCallMeTim
04-24-2011, 04:13 PM

2008 rings a bell.

i MAke GOod POlls
04-24-2011, 04:15 PM
2008 rings a bell.

That was to the Lakers, not the 2007 Warriors.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to sound smug because the Spurs/Mavs are both in trouble, but the Mavs have had a history of epic collapses so this one has to sting a little more.

ElNono
04-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Dallas will win this series... it's just going to be a little longer than it needed to be, much like the Spurs...

DeadlyDynasty
04-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Dallas is clearly the better team...should've been a 4-0 sweep. As bad as that collapse was I still don't see Dallas losing this.

SomeCallMeTim
04-24-2011, 04:20 PM
Dallas will win this series... it's just going to be a little longer than it needed to be, much like the Spurs...

Yeah, I think Dallas takes this series. The Game 4 loss will be like a forgotten nightmare.

Don't forget, this isn't the first time Kidd has been on the wrong end of a massive comeback. His Nets choked an even bigger 4th quarter lead to the Celtics in the ECFs. Guess which team went to the Finals though.

Spurs da champs
04-24-2011, 04:23 PM
This is miami all over again bye,bye mavericks!:toast

If we're going down might has well have the mavs go down with us.:lol

Axe Murderer
04-24-2011, 04:25 PM
I think Dallas will still win, obviously not as confident as before but I think they'll pull it out

I just don't understand why they can't ever just put the foot down and keep giving teams life over and over. They should take notes from Boston

Ghazi
04-24-2011, 04:26 PM
I feel sick to my stomach still :(... Dallas SHOULD win the series, but my Lord, isn't it a huge psychological blow to squander that 23 point lead?

Would show a lot of mental toughness if the Mavs can overcome this.

I just wanna say, LA did the same thing in Game 4 of the 2008 Finals...so let's not start assuming this chokejob is necessarily due to Dirk having some sort of innate inability to lead or some BS like that... it was a total team choke.

DPG21920
04-24-2011, 04:27 PM
I called in the beginning that each team wins all their home games. I think that stands. Mavs should win, but I wouldn't be shocked if POR stole one and won the series.

Axe Murderer
04-24-2011, 04:28 PM
I feel sick to my stomach still :(... Dallas SHOULD win the series, but my Lord, isn't it a huge psychological blow to squander that 23 point lead?

Would show a lot of mental toughness if the Mavs can overcome this.

I just wanna say, LA did the same thing in Game 4 of the 2008 Finals...so let's not start assuming this chokejob is necessarily due to Dirk having some sort of innate inability to lead or some BS like that... it was a total team choke.

Nobody closes us out, Ghazi.

Nobody

jag
04-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Tbh, it's not that Dallas lost a game or lost a series...it's that Dallas always finds the worst possible way to lose.

Jodelo
04-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Yeah, I think Dallas takes this series. The Game 4 loss will be like a forgotten nightmare.

Don't forget, this isn't the first time Kidd has been on the wrong end of a massive comeback. His Nets choked an even bigger 4th quarter lead to the Celtics in the ECFs. Guess which team went to the Finals though.

Can´t remember, what was the comeback? How much were they up?

Axe Murderer
04-24-2011, 05:01 PM
They were up by 21 at the end of the 3rd and it was a REALLY low scoring game. I think Boston may have been in the 40's at the start of that 4th quarter

Findog
04-24-2011, 07:01 PM

This.

NewJerSpur
04-24-2011, 07:15 PM
B-Roy="Mama, there goes that man"

Mavillionaire
04-24-2011, 07:18 PM
2-2 big deal. HCA, protected.

Isitjustme?
04-24-2011, 07:38 PM
I think Dallas will still win, obviously not as confident as before but I think they'll pull it out

I just don't understand why they can't ever just put the foot down and keep giving teams life over and over. They should take notes from Boston

Dallas blew game 4 last year against Orlando. They could have swept but lost in OT. Ended up going 6.

John Basedow
04-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Dallas blew game 4 last year against Orlando. They could have swept but lost in OT. Ended up going 6.

hmmmmm

Axe Murderer
04-24-2011, 08:16 PM

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/009/d/d/monorail_cat_by_poker1.gif

Greg Oden
04-24-2011, 08:18 PM
oh is that what leaves Nowitzki, Mavericks frustrated?

Isitjustme?
04-24-2011, 08:19 PM
rofl getting worked up over a mistake like that. Meant to say Boston obviously. They let the Magic series go 6 last year when they could have swept.

Axe Murderer
04-24-2011, 08:21 PM
oh is that what leaves Nowitzki, Mavericks frustrated?

ya tbh Dirk expressed recently in an interview that game 4 last year against Orlando still haunts him to this day even tho they won in 6 eventually. Dirk wanted to get it over in 4, cant blame him tbh

Isitjustme?
04-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Nice post. #reaching

John Basedow
04-24-2011, 08:23 PM
rofl getting worked up over a mistake like that. Meant to say Boston obviously. They let the Magic series go 6 last year when they could have swept.

lol grey

Axe Murderer
04-24-2011, 08:23 PM
easy brah, i knew what u meant

DMC
05-28-2011, 02:25 AM

lol the eyes of Texas are upon you....

endrity
05-28-2011, 08:04 AM
some epic bumps lately

TDMVPDPOY
05-28-2011, 08:21 AM
DALLAS should win this unless the refs reward james and wade 20fts each game, then goodbye trophy