PDA

View Full Version : If Splitter had Bonner's minutes, would it still be 2-1 Grizz?

John Basedow
04-24-2011, 04:46 PM
In their 2 losses the Memphis front court has crominated Duncan and Co. Sure, TP's been bad, but he can't stop the Memphis bigs. Gasol's Game 1 performance is looking less and less like an aberration, especially with Red Rocket guarding him at times. Outside of the last 2 minutes of Game 1, Bonner's 3-point shooting has been non-existent, so why is he still on the floor?

04-24-2011, 04:49 PM
i would say most likely. it's not like splitter would have scored that much anyways and probably would have been in too much foul trouble to make a meaningful impact on the defensive end.

John Basedow
04-24-2011, 04:51 PM
I think a 7-footer who's shown he can play good post D could've been the difference in 2 3-pt losses. Bonner is invisible on both ends, so there'd be no drop-off in offensive production.

Hemotivo
04-24-2011, 04:54 PM
I think a 7-footer who's shown he can play good post D could've been the difference in 2 3-pt losses. Bonner is invisible on both ends, so there'd be no drop-off in offensive production.

yes

mingus
Spurs would be up 3-0. Splitter plays in game 1 and he probably scores 8-10 points and, being the good defender that has shown he is, would've helped defensively. he wouldn't even have need to play much better from a defensive standpoint--just not let them (Gasol and Randolph) score 49 on 19/25. They go 17/25--still bad--and the Spurs win that game.

while i do agree that splitter should have been given at least some minutes to prove himself, he's way overhyped on spurstalk. the spurs would 90% still be down 2-1. the losses are definitely a team effort and not just because splitter isn't getting minutes.

mingus
04-24-2011, 04:56 PM
been saying this for a long time though. after Spurs whooped LA in the first game of the season, i was on here saying it didn't mean shit because the playoffs are a different animal and that the Spurs needed to develop Splitter. Pop has ruined this team. and i knew he would too.

mingus
04-24-2011, 04:57 PM
while i do agree that splitter should have been given at least some minutes to prove himself, he's way overhyped on spurstalk. the spurs would 90% still be down 2-1. the losses are definitely a team effort and not just because splitter isn't getting minutes.

Gasol scoring one-on-one against Bonner in the post 9 times out of 10 is not a team effort. no matter what kind of bullshit Pop says.

mingus
04-24-2011, 04:59 PM
if there is enough of a mismatch on the floor, team effort can only help so much.

John Basedow
04-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Gasol scoring one-on-one against Bonner in the post 9 times out of 10 is not a team effort. no matter what kind of bullshit Pop says.

Yup. In the first and second quarter (mostly the 2nd) you saw that matchup a bunch of times.

ElNono
04-24-2011, 05:01 PM
:lol good switch

mingus
04-24-2011, 05:03 PM
i swear i could give a shit if we lose and we can't help it (which has happened a lot of times), that's just the way it goes, but there's nothing more frustrating than a team losing because of a coach that won't make the right decision.

thOOdee
04-24-2011, 05:09 PM

i second this

SnakeBoy
04-24-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm surprised so many of you are still wanting Splitter in place of Bonner. Bonner has been all that bad. Blair on the other hand is a complete liability on both ends. Splitter should replace Blair not Bonner.

John Basedow
04-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Bonner is giving you nothing on either end. Blair is bad too but at least he's decent on the offensive glass.

jeebus
04-24-2011, 05:21 PM
We'd be up at least 2-1 and it wouldn't be a 5 on 4 matchup for 20 minutes per game.

cherylsteele
04-24-2011, 05:34 PM
I don't know, but I would be a little more lenient with my opinions of Pop because he would at least be trying to do something different. I would still be disappointed though.

John Basedow
04-24-2011, 05:37 PM
We'd be up at least 2-1 and it wouldn't be a 5 on 4 matchup for 20 minutes per game.

This. If Bonner's not dropping 3's, then it literally is a 5 on 4 game. He's done nothing to nullify his defensive liability.

mingus
04-24-2011, 05:42 PM
This. If Bonner's not dropping 3's, then it literally is a 5 on 4 game. He's done nothing to nullify his defensive liability.

It's crazy. Splitter must've been a giant dick or something to Pop. Cause he has deserved more playing time. In fact when he's played he's not only shown he's been better than Bonner & Blair, but also McDyess--when he's gotten consistent minutes and not been yanked after 20 seconds

SpurSpurSpurs
04-24-2011, 05:44 PM

He knows for the fact that we lack rebounding and D in the paint. Yet he's still dumb enough not to play Splitter. He's in love. True love.

mingus
04-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Pops made bad decisions for the last 3 years though. He's done. His blatant disrespect of Bowen in '09 giving him 20 min per was the worst.

analyzed
04-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Of the10 min Blair played in game 3, how much time was with Bonner, I'm guessing around 7 minutes, mostly between the end of 1st and start of 2nd quarter where memphis build a double digit lead ( their plus minus together must have been horible)

Pop also decided to go with Bonner and Dice together with bonner defending gasol ! the result Gasol litterally ate him up alive.

On those two occasions about 15 min of playing time, Splitter could have been playing instead and would have done a much better job. That alone caused us the W.

Having said that playing splitter now won't solve the problem it's to late, Pop has his chance to integrate Splitter into the rotation at the start of the playoffs , after what he showed he can do in the last 12 games of the regular season, this is all on Pop

Obstructed_View
04-24-2011, 06:48 PM
If you take the foul trouble the Grizzlies' bigs have been in so far this series, and you factor in how much better Splitter is at drawing fouls on both ends than the rest of the Spurs' bigs, you have to think the Grizz finish one or all of these three games with at least one person fouled out by the last two minutes. How huge is that for a series where all three games have been close? How big would it have been to have Randolph out of game three in the last minute?

objective
04-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Probably up 3-0 with Splitter at his rightful place, which is starting next to Duncan..

John Basedow
04-24-2011, 07:26 PM
If you take the foul trouble the Grizzlies' bigs have been in so far this series, and you factor in how much better Splitter is at drawing fouls on both ends than the rest of the Spurs' bigs, you have to think the Grizz finish one or all of these three games with at least one person fouled out by the last two minutes. How huge is that for a series where all three games have been close? How big would it have been to have Randolph out of game three in the last minute?

Yup.

Isitjustme?
04-24-2011, 07:33 PM
This thread is very necessary :rolleyes

John Basedow
04-24-2011, 07:34 PM
This thread is very necessary :rolleyes

This post is very necessary :rolleyes

Isitjustme?
04-24-2011, 07:48 PM
LAL fan with the unique insight: "Playing Tiago Splitter might have been a good idea."

Impressive. Wonder why didn't Spur fans come up with that one.

John Basedow
04-24-2011, 07:50 PM
That's now 2 posts and counting in an "unnecessary thread."

Isitjustme?
04-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Maybe the military officers should have been more alert on Pearl Harbor. Could have saved lives. Might be a good topic for a thread for the Club forum.

Venti Quattro
04-24-2011, 07:55 PM
Splitter won't save Tony Parker from getting thoroughly outplayed by Mike Conley...

John Basedow
04-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Maybe the military officers should have been more alert on Pearl Harbor. Could have saved lives. Might be a good topic for a thread for the Club forum.

Maybe if daddeh pulled out we could've been spared your posts.

Isitjustme?
04-24-2011, 08:00 PM
Maybe Tupac should have bought a bullet proof car. There ya go, theres another thread. See how easy this is.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Splitter won't save Tony Parker from getting thoroughly outplayed by Mike Conley...

Parker's in a gigantic slump. Whatever keeps the Spurs alive until he gets out of it "saves" the Spurs.

ALVAREZ6
04-24-2011, 08:07 PM
It would be 3-0 Spurs and it's not even fucking close.

Pop is such a red rocket cock sucking faggot, it's just absurd at this point. The man still refuses to make the VERY FUCKING OBVIOUS adjustment that could turn this series around simply because he's an old stubborn faggot prick who thinks he's the shit with the 4 rings Duncan served him. Old piece of shit is indirectly proving that he wants to lose, or that he's unwilling to sacrifice playing the player who he's got the hots for so badly less minutes against his mentality and playing a rookie, in order to move on. He literally only wants to do it his way.

I just don't fucking understand how you don't even TRY a more obvious strategy. It would be one thing if the Spurs were playing a three point shooting perimeter team such as Dallas, but the situation almost PERFECTLY aligns with the use of Tiago. The Spurs are struggling against Memphis, a physical team who has played inside-out all series and year long. Duncan and Dice can't play the entire game, obviously. Not even close. Blair gets worked by Randolph so easily, he's his bitch by now. Bonner obviously and understandably cannot hang with the big physical players, Gasol and Randolph. So why is throwing a 7 footer who's a much better defender than Bonner in there such a crazy fucking thought for Pop? The Memphis bigs make up the majority of their offense...you need to stop the other team from scoring as many points as you do in order to win... I just don't understand how one can be so stubborn.

If I were Splitter, I'd get the fuck out of San Antonio this offseason. I will be pissed at him for being foolish if he sticks around, it just isn't worth it. He's not gonna see the court under Pop, and he's most certainly not going to win with current Pop Spurs. TIAGO, GTFOutta San Antonio, please.

Brazil
04-24-2011, 08:08 PM
couldn't be worst anyway

ALVAREZ6
04-24-2011, 08:13 PM

I've been saying it all year.

The most obvious and productive strategy would be to allow Bonner some time, allow the Spurs some flexibility in their lineups and strategy, but it should vary depending on their play in the game and the match up. If I were Pop, I would allow Bonner minutes almost every game, but they could be either very limited or significant...depending on if he's hot or not. If he starts the game with 2 missed 3s for example, he'd been done for the night. He is a complete liability and should never been on the court unless he is producing those 3s.

It makes no sense to have these 2 options, but almost always play one of them 0 minutes and the other player always gets them all, no matter what. They should at least share that time.

ALVAREZ6
04-24-2011, 08:15 PM
couldn't be worst anyway

Eh.....no they very well could have lost game 2 and potentially be down 3-0 to the 8th seed in humiliating fashion. It definitely could be worse. Every game has been close, they happened to win one, but they could have lost it as well.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2011, 08:30 PM
I've been saying it all year.

The most obvious and productive strategy would be to allow Bonner some time, allow the Spurs some flexibility in their lineups and strategy, but it should vary depending on their play in the game and the match up. If I were Pop, I would allow Bonner minutes almost every game, but they could be either very limited or significant...depending on if he's hot or not. If he starts the game with 2 missed 3s for example, he'd been done for the night. He is a complete liability and should never been on the court unless he is producing those 3s.

It makes no sense to have these 2 options, but almost always play one of them 0 minutes and the other player always gets them all, no matter what. They should at least share that time.

You could still put Bonner into the game at every end of quarter situation and still get him 3-6 shots a game. Having a tall three point shooter who can play pretty good defense and provide energy would be a gigantic luxury if actually utilized. Instead we got the white Keith Bogans.

rmt
04-24-2011, 09:39 PM
If Splitter had Bonner's (or Blair's game 1) minutes, it would be 3-0. The games have been close enough that even with Parker playing terribly, better defense on either of Randolph/Gasol would have given SA 3 victories.

Maybe Pop will be desperate enough to try him next game. With Dice not 100%, it's the perfect time to try - throw a new wrinkle out there. If he benched TP at the end of the 2nd (?) and 4th quarters, maybe he'll try Splitter. Better late than never.

SA210
04-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Spurs would be up 3-0. Splitter plays in game 1 and he probably scores 8-10 points and, being the good defender that has shown he is, would've helped defensively. he wouldn't even have need to play much better from a defensive standpoint--just not let them (Gasol and Randolph) score 49 on 19/25. They go 17/25--still bad--and the Spurs win that game.

SA210
been saying this for a long time though. after Spurs whooped LA in the first game of the season, i was on here saying it didn't mean shit because the playoffs are a different animal and that the Spurs needed to develop Splitter. Pop has ruined this team. and i knew he would too.

SA210
Pops made bad decisions for the last 3 years though. He's done. His blatant disrespect of Bowen in '09 giving him 20 min per was the worst.

Exactly!

SA210
04-24-2011, 11:04 PM
It would be 3-0 Spurs and it's not even fucking close.

Pop is such a red rocket cock sucking faggot, it's just absurd at this point. The man still refuses to make the VERY FUCKING OBVIOUS adjustment that could turn this series around simply because he's an old stubborn faggot prick who thinks he's the shit with the 4 rings Duncan served him. Old piece of shit is indirectly proving that he wants to lose, or that he's unwilling to sacrifice playing the player who he's got the hots for so badly less minutes against his mentality and playing a rookie, in order to move on. He literally only wants to do it his way.

I just don't fucking understand how you don't even TRY a more obvious strategy. It would be one thing if the Spurs were playing a three point shooting perimeter team such as Dallas, but the situation almost PERFECTLY aligns with the use of Tiago. The Spurs are struggling against Memphis, a physical team who has played inside-out all series and year long. Duncan and Dice can't play the entire game, obviously. Not even close. Blair gets worked by Randolph so easily, he's his bitch by now. Bonner obviously and understandably cannot hang with the big physical players, Gasol and Randolph. So why is throwing a 7 footer who's a much better defender than Bonner in there such a crazy fucking thought for Pop? The Memphis bigs make up the majority of their offense...you need to stop the other team from scoring as many points as you do in order to win... I just don't understand how one can be so stubborn.

If I were Splitter, I'd get the fuck out of San Antonio this offseason. I will be pissed at him for being foolish if he sticks around, it just isn't worth it. He's not gonna see the court under Pop, and he's most certainly not going to win with current Pop Spurs. TIAGO, GTFOutta San Antonio, please.