PDA

View Full Version : Who are the untouchables on the Spurs roster going into next season?

John Basedow
04-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Duncan
Ginobili
Parker
Splitter
Neal

Anyone else?

tim210g
04-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Duncan
Ginobili
Parker
Splitter
Neal

Anyone else?

Bonner...lmao u know pop ain't gonna wanna part ways with bonner

jeebus
04-24-2011, 05:51 PM
That's a good list but remember, we're dealing with Pop here. Only untouchable guy is Bonner, everyone else can be traded.

DPG21920
04-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Tim.

4>0rings
04-24-2011, 05:53 PM
lol@ splitter

add Bonner

pgardn
04-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Bonner
Jefferson

as well.

Who will take those contracts...

TDMVPDPOY
04-24-2011, 06:01 PM
splitter
neal

unless a good deal comes along, both combined is 4m

blair = nba minimum
rj = we seriously need to offload this contract
bonner = " " " "
tp = " " " "

Juanobili
04-24-2011, 06:01 PM
they just signed Bonner lol. he ain't going nowhere. :(

ElNono
04-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Maybe we can use Neal to sweeten a deal to unload Splitter...

Spurs da champs
04-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Neal shouldn't be untouchable IMO we need to decide between him & hll next season. Neal is undersized & cant play defense, he always takes bad shots as well. So I'd pick hill; I wouldn't mind seeing neal,blair & bonner get the boot.

John Basedow
04-24-2011, 06:19 PM
I would think Neal's a keeper b/c the Spurs discovered him.

Spurs da champs
04-24-2011, 06:20 PM
He's undersized that's the only problem. We used to get players that we needed now we just get undersized scrubs.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2011, 06:23 PM
Manu, Bonner, RJ, Hill, and hopfully Duncan are the only untouchables on Pop's team. I don't think anyone else is safe.

objective
04-24-2011, 06:24 PM
the only true untouchable is Jefferson because of his garbage contract.

Bonner to a lesser degree, but I think a team that wouldn't mind paying 3-4 million a year for over 30 garbage time 5th-6th big would take him. The wouldn't play him 22 minutes per game like unless they were a fraud team like the Spurs.

Funny that some of the biggest pro-RJ and pro-Bonner contract people around I've now seen walkback like crazy.

timtonymanu
04-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Realistically untouchable: Tim, Manu, Tony, Bonner, RJ, Hill

Who I think should stick around?: Tim, Manu, Tony, Neal, Splitter, Anderson

McDyess will be retired.

DPG21920
04-24-2011, 06:30 PM
Why would anyone besides Tim be untouchable?

John Basedow
04-24-2011, 06:37 PM
I forgot about Hill...he's their ace in the hole, like Roddy B is with Dallas

Obstructed_View
04-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Why would anyone besides Tim be untouchable?

Manu means as much or more than Duncan at this point, and Pop knows it.
Pop loves Hill and thinks he's a backup point guard. The reason Parker's not on my list is because I fear Pop thinks Hill is a starting point guard.
Pop loves Bonner and he's overpaid with more than one year left.
RJ is overpaid with more than one year left.

I assume Pop has some loyalty to Tim Duncan, though I'm not sure, considering the way he's treated Duncan in the playoffs the last five years.

DPG21920
04-24-2011, 06:39 PM
I forgot about Hill...he's their ace in the hole, like Roddy B is with Dallas

Except Hill actually produces decently overall.

John Basedow
04-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Except Hill actually produces decently overall.

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom//img/2010/05/28/sunsbrooklopezgif_20100528102802_0_0.GIF

What separates them is health. When both are healthy they are too Jekyll-and-Hyde though. Unreliable players, imho.

DPG21920
04-24-2011, 06:44 PM
http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom//img/2010/05/28/sunsbrooklopezgif_20100528102802_0_0.GIF

What separates them is health. When both are healthy they are too Jekyll-and-Hyde though. Unreliable players, imho.

That is all role players my friend. Hill has produced when it matters for the most part, which is all you can ask.

John Basedow
04-24-2011, 06:47 PM
True, although I think his future with the Spurs will become more than that of a role player.

DPG21920
04-24-2011, 06:50 PM
His future is Jamal Crawford at best. Which is fine with me. I like all of the Spurs (except for RJ), but the question is who is untouchable. My take is that no one except Tim should be off limits.

Obviously, we have to see how this playoff run goes. We also have to see what the goal is next year, because the window may be shut now. I would love the big 3 to end their career's in SA, but for that to happen and it to make sense will be difficult.

John Basedow
04-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Tim and Manu, and maybe Splitter should be the only real untouchables. Parker can be shopped around, and could bring some good pieces back. I think Pop has larger plans for Hill than that of 6th man, tbh. It seems as if he's being groomed to take over the starting PG job, but I could be wrong.

Spurs da champs
04-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Hill was beasting last year without Parker, even tho he had Manu to handle the ball but still...

pgardn
04-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Pop loves Hill and thinks he's a backup point guard. The reason Parker's not on my list is because I fear Pop thinks Hill is a starting point guard.

I assume Pop has some loyalty to Tim Duncan, though I'm not sure, considering the way he's treated Duncan in the playoffs the last five years.

Imo the above is a good summary.

Think Tp stays with the contract.
Duncan stays.

I would like to know who we get to replace McDyess.

eric365
04-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Only TD I think

Manu and TP would require a young all star in return and it's not gonna happen
RJ contract make him stay also

After that everything is possible

John Basedow
04-24-2011, 06:57 PM

Duncan stays.

Just up Bonner's minutes. Problem = solved.

DPG21920
04-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Tim and Manu, and maybe Splitter should be the only real untouchables. Parker can be shopped around, and could bring some good pieces back. I think Pop has larger plans for Hill than that of 6th man, tbh. It seems as if he's being groomed to take over the starting PG job, but I could be wrong.

I don't see that at all. I don't think Pop loves Hill as much as people really think. I especially don't think Pop see's him as a true PG.

I think Pop is really high on TP, as he should be.

senorglory
04-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Duncan. Solamente.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2011, 07:00 PM

Duncan stays.

TP signed for less than he could have gotten elsewhere. If Pop thinks Hill is his point guard he could punish Parker by trading him.

When you realize that Pop refuses to play Splitter next to Duncan,and the reality sets in that he probably never will, and that the Spurs have a broken-down, past his prime power forward playing the "starting center" role, the statement above makes me :depressed

pgardn
Just up Bonner's minutes. Problem = solved.

Please God no.

John Basedow
I don't see that at all. I don't think Pop loves Hill as much as people really think. I especially don't think Pop see's him as a true PG.

I think Pop is really high on TP, as he should be.

You may be right, you have a better perspective than I do on the Spurs.

Scro how can you not have Manu as an untouchable? Is it age and injury?

DPG21920
04-24-2011, 07:04 PM
You may be right, you have a better perspective than I do on the Spurs.

Scro how can you not have Manu as an untouchable? Is it age and injury?

It's all about perspective. Like I said, I want them all here (big 3), but if it comes to blowing it up (which it could) then the only person who can't be traded is Tim.

I still want to win. I want the Spurs to add more pieces if they can (tough to do), and Manu would definitely be a huge part of that. If they are going to go for it, then Manu is untouchable. But with the uncertainty, everyone should be available even though it will be incredibly sad as a Spurs fan.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2011, 07:04 PM

Pop started game one of the playoffs with Hill as the point guard while Parker was on the floor next to him. He did this for two quarters. Parker got the reins back in the third quarter and played great. Pop gave the ball back to Hill in the fourth.

DPG21920
04-24-2011, 07:05 PM
So what I think will/should happen, could easily be very different from want happens.

eric365
04-24-2011, 07:05 PM
TP signed for less than he could have gotten elsewhere. If Pop thinks Hill is his point guard he could punish Parker by trading him.

When you realize that Pop refuses to play Splitter next to Duncan,and the reality sets in that he probably never will, and that the Spurs have a broken-down, past his prime power forward playing the "starting center" role, the statement above makes me :depressed

Splitter will get way more minutes next year. Maybe not with Duncan but he will take Dice's minute

He will not be a rookie anymore and he will have got better in the off season

Maybe a 7 pts / 5 rebonds in 15 minutes next year

DPG21920
04-24-2011, 07:06 PM
Pop started game one of the playoffs with Hill as the point guard while Parker was on the floor next to him. He did this for two quarters. Parker got the reins back in the third quarter and played great. Pop gave the ball back to Hill in the fourth.

That is one game. Look at the bigger picture. With the way Pop likes to do things and the way he coddles Hill, I don't see him liking Hill as much as people think.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2011, 07:09 PM
That is one game. Look at the bigger picture. With the way Pop likes to do things and the way he coddles Hill, I don't see him liking Hill as much as people think.

That's an awfully big goddamn game. Respectfully, I don't see how the picture gets any bigger than that. I wish it weren't true, and maybe you do too, but the way Pop likes to do things is to punish the players he doesn't like for the smallest infraction and to never pull the players he likes no matter how shitty they play.

4>0rings
04-24-2011, 07:09 PM
Pop plays to the personality of the person. Just like he broke Parker by yelling at him 24/7; he coddles Hill and Bonner because their ego's are so fragile. He tells them what they want to hear not what Pop actually thinks of them.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Splitter will get way more minutes next year. Maybe not with Duncan but he will take Dice's minute

He will not be a rookie anymore and he will have got better in the off season

Maybe a 7 pts / 5 rebonds in 15 minutes next year

If he puts up those numbers in 15 minutes, he will not have gotten better in the off season.

DPG21920
04-24-2011, 07:13 PM
That's an awfully big goddamn game. Respectfully, I don't see how the picture gets any bigger than that. I wish it weren't true, and maybe you do too, but the way Pop likes to do things is to punish the players he doesn't like for the smallest infraction and to never pull the players he likes no matter how shitty they play.

That doesn't make any sense. If that were true, wouldn't Hill have gotten that look last year in the playoffs?

Or are you trying to say that all of the sudden, Pop has changed his views on said players.

DPG21920
04-24-2011, 07:14 PM
Pop plays to the personality of the person. Just like he broke Parker by yelling at him 24/7; he coddles Hill and Bonner because their ego's are so fragile. He tells them what they want to hear not what Pop actually thinks of them.

Not really. I have never seen Pop coddle anyone like Hill. RJ needs the same "Hill" treatment, but Pop yells at his ass every game.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2011, 07:22 PM
That doesn't make any sense. If that were true, wouldn't Hill have gotten that look last year in the playoffs?

Or are you trying to say that all of the sudden, Pop has changed his views on said players.

The fact that the Spurs have gone George Hill's entire NBA career without a backup point guard should be indication that Pop's view on Hill hasn't changed.

Parker was the starting point guard for 82 regular season games and Pop suddenly made Hill the starting point guard for game 1. I don't know how that can be classified as anything other than drastic, and I don't know how anyone that's followed Pop's puzzling lineup decisions over the last five years could fail to see that as the remotest bit disturbing.

I can see Parker being traded in the off season and Pop giving the reins of the team to Hill. I don't agree with it but he's done more insane things. Maybe that's a sign of how far my confidence in Pop has fallen in the last few years, but I submit the first half of game one in my defense.

DPG21920
04-24-2011, 07:23 PM
Did he do that in games 2 and 3?

Obstructed_View
04-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Did he do that in games 2 and 3?

Did Manu miss games 2 and 3? I'm trying to be civil here, but do you want to discuss it or are you just going to be like Chumpdumper and ask ridiculous questions?

Pop thinks Hill is a point guard, do you disagree? I've given evidence to support my position.

Pop thinks Hill is capable of starting, do you disagree? I've given evidence to support my position.

Parker signed a contract which makes him a bargain to all the other teams in the league, and therefore isn't safe. Do you disagree?

rascal
04-24-2011, 09:05 PM
So most everyone thinks the Spurs return with the same core.
How many years do they have to continue trying to win with the same core team.

DPG21920
04-24-2011, 09:07 PM
I do disagree and my questions refute your points. Pop views him as a back up and one game doesn't change that IMO.

Juggity
04-24-2011, 09:13 PM
If I had to pick between Hill and Neal, I choose Neal. I wouldn't mind holding on to both though since they both contribute at various times.

Parker is indispensable. His current slump notwithstanding, he is one of the most consistent of the Spurs on offense. Duncan and Ginobili hold equal positions of importance within the organization, and are likewise indispensable.

McDyess has not been looking good recently. I think calls for him to continue on the Spurs next year were premature at best when they were permeating spurstalk after the glorious tip-in a few months ago.

Blair is becoming more and more of a disappointment by the day. Strong start, powerful player early on. His disappearance since the promotion of Dice to starter is concerning to say the least and I am on the verge of wanting him to be traded away given the fact that he has become such a liability on both ends of the floor.

Splitter...no comment.

Pauleta14
04-24-2011, 09:21 PM

As stubborn as Pop may be, I think he realises that Hill is a versatile SG, I don't think he sees him as a starting PG, mainly because of his lack of playmaking skills (compared to him, TP looks great)...

Each time he talks about Hill, it's about his ability to score, not about him "running the show" (as he talks about TP).

I don't think he is crazy enough to make Hill a PG, that would be insane or Manu would have too much to do...

Obstructed_View
04-24-2011, 09:32 PM
I do disagree and my questions refute your points. Pop views him as a back up and one game doesn't change that IMO.

Your questions are argumentative, refute nothing, and are therefore irrelevant. The fact that Pop views him as a point guard, backup or otherwise, should be highly concerning. That Pop made him the point guard over Parker in the most important game of the season absolutely cannot be overlooked when making guesses about future valuation of both players by the coach.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2011, 09:36 PM
As stubborn as Pop may be, I think he realises that Hill is a versatile SG, I don't think he sees him as a starting PG, mainly because of his lack of playmaking skills (compared to him, TP looks great)...

Each time he talks about Hill, it's about his ability to score, not about him "running the show" (as he talks about TP).

I don't think he is crazy enough to make Hill a PG, that would be insane or Manu would have too much to do...

I think you and I realize that he's a versatile SG, but Pop did what he did in game one and it can't be undone. Personally, I can only go by what Pop does, and he's made Hill the backup point guard on this team.

kamikazi_player
04-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Untouchables would probably be the big 3, everyone else is not secured lol.

I hope they can get rid of either hill, splitter, or jefferson.

Edit: I don't hate Splitter, but I don't think Pop will ever use him to his potential. Hill is just an overrated role player. Much rather have Gary Neal at this point. Don't need to explain Jefferson.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-24-2011, 09:43 PM
We cannot discuss this only from the perspective of the game alone, not even from how much of this or that contract a player has left.

We also have to consider the importance of a player to a franchise in terms of advertising, selling of merchandise, etc. Rarely today if at all, a team makes a decision on a player only on game value. For this reason I think both Duncan and Manu would be back next season while everyone else could stay or go depending on other factors.

I know this is a broad picture but this is pretty much what professional sports have become in the last few decades.

jag
04-24-2011, 09:44 PM
DPG is just being emotional right now.

Untouchable:

Tim
Tony
Manu

Won't be moved: Splitter, Neal, Bonner, RJ
Could see them moving: Hill, Blair, Anderson

jag
04-24-2011, 09:46 PM
and lol at John B for making a George Hill - Roddy comparison

DMC
04-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Hard to say about untouchables. Contracts are signed for a lot of people, and Holt might decide to dump the team before Duncan retires so he can get some return, maybe not.

Either way, since the Spurs didn't make any major moves in the off season or before the trade deadline, and since their regular season record is so good, they might have the excuse to not spend more money and just develop who they have, then wait for a mid season deal to pop up and unload a couple of guys for a good veteran big man who's wanting to retire in the next two or three years.

ALVAREZ6
04-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Per Pop, Bonner is untouchable. It shocks me that he's been here for half a decade already.

spurspokesman
04-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Did Manu miss games 2 and 3? I'm trying to be civil here, but do you want to discuss it or are you just going to be like Chumpdumper and ask ridiculous questions?

Pop thinks Hill is a point guard, do you disagree? I've given evidence to support my position.

Pop thinks Hill is capable of starting, do you disagree? I've given evidence to support my position.

Parker signed a contract which makes him a bargain to all the other teams in the league, and therefore isn't safe. Do you disagree?

LOL chumpdumper is on the way:wow

bighappy
04-24-2011, 10:28 PM
im open to any of them being trade if its a good deal for the spurs i hope they make the deal

Obstructed_View
04-24-2011, 10:41 PM
LOL chumpdumper is on the way:wow

And a good basketball discussion devolving into inane one upsamanship follows with him.

DPG21920
04-24-2011, 11:15 PM
Your questions are argumentative, refute nothing, and are therefore irrelevant. The fact that Pop views him as a point guard, backup or otherwise, should be highly concerning. That Pop made him the point guard over Parker in the most important game of the season absolutely cannot be overlooked when making guesses about future valuation of both players by the coach.

:lol My questions are questions and you are the one being argumentative because you want to put all your eggs in a one game basket. I was asking questions that were directly related to the conversation we were having. The fact you take it personal is on you.

Not only did I refute you with much more evidence (i.e. every other game since Hill has been here where Pop didn't make him the primary point guard vs the one game you are clinging too), I also didn't make the argument you are trying to frame. I clearly said Pop doesn't see Hill as the starting PG, especially enough to trade TP away. You seem to be clinging to the fact he his the back up point guard which is irrelevant. There is absolutely nothing alarming about Pop seeing Hill as a back up PG. He is fine for that role. Being a back up point guard, especially when you have Manu on the team, doesn't mean anything for being a starting PG. That would be like saying Pop views Manu as a starting PG since he lets him handle the ball when TP is there.

Sure you can use that one game and blow it up to some monumental thing to try and help your argument, I just disagree and gave you my reasons why.

There has been plenty of games where Manu was out and Hill wasn't given the reigns. That is my argument and it refutes your position.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2011, 11:23 PM
:lol My questions are questions and you are the one being argumentative because you want to put all your eggs in a one game basket. I was asking questions that were directly related to the conversation we were having. The fact you take it personal is on you.

Not only did I refute you with much more evidence (i.e. every other game since Hill has been here where Pop didn't make him the primary point guard vs the one game you are clinging too), I also didn't make the argument you are trying to frame. I clearly said Pop doesn't see Hill as the starting PG, especially enough to trade TP away. You seem to be clinging to the fact he his the back up point guard which is irrelevant. There is absolutely nothing alarming about Pop seeing Hill as a back up PG. He is fine for that role. Being a back up point guard, especially when you have Manu on the team, doesn't mean anything for being a starting PG. That would be like saying Pop views Manu as a starting PG since he lets him handle the ball when TP is there.

Sure you can use that one game and blow it up to some monumental thing to try and help your argument, I just disagree and gave you my reasons why.

There has been plenty of games where Manu was out and Hill wasn't given the reigns. That is my argument and it refutes your position.

Name the playoff games this season that Manu missed where Pop didn't play Hill as the point guard. Yeah, thanks.

Name the backup point guard for the Spurs since George Hill was drafted. Yeah, thanks.

Name the guy Pop has called his favorite player since he was drafted. Yeah, thanks.

Parker's not untouchable.

DPG21920
04-24-2011, 11:31 PM
Name the playoff games this season that Manu missed where Pop didn't play Hill as the point guard. Yeah, thanks.

Name the backup point guard for the Spurs since George Hill was drafted. Yeah, thanks.

Name the guy Pop has called his favorite player since he was drafted. Yeah, thanks.

Parker's not untouchable.

1) :lol I didn't say Parker was untouchable. Yeah, thanks.

2) Why does this one playoff game outweigh every other game? Yeah, thanks.

3) Why would you draft/get another PG for a back up role that is already filled by Hill. Yeah, thanks. Do you not read the arguments? You are moving the goal post again. BTW, who is that Chris Quinn guy?

4) Pop coddles Hill. If you think Hill is his favorite player, you must also believe that "it's not fair for the team to play Tiago" since Pop said that as well. You can't pick and choose.

So please read the argument and refute my points before you continue to just repeat the same stuff. K, thanks.

Bito Corleone
04-24-2011, 11:50 PM
The fact that the Spurs have gone George Hill's entire NBA career without a backup point guard should be indication that Pop's view on Hill hasn't changed.
For some strangereason I always got the impression that Hill (even being more of a 2 guard) was Pop's choice at backup PG...so why would that mean the Spurs haven't had a backup point guard for his career. Furthermore, if Pop would be willing to get rid of Tony because of Hill being able to replace him the point guard position, wouldn't that go even further in saying that Hill has been the backup PG? Or were you saying the Spurs haven't had a backup backup PG for Hill's entire (3 season) career?

Parker was the starting point guard for 82 regular season games and Pop suddenly made Hill the starting point guard for game 1. I don't know how that can be classified as anything other than drastic, and I don't know how anyone that's followed Pop's puzzling lineup decisions over the last five years could fail to see that as the remotest bit disturbing.

Wait, what? You talking about this season? IIRC, Tony and Hill started together in game 1, and Hill was in there to replace an injured Ginobili. Was there a press release somewhere that I missed stating that Hill was the "PG" in that game, or was I the only one blind enough to not notice that Tony came off the bench? Nope...not blind. He did start, and was the PG.

DPG21920
04-24-2011, 11:53 PM
He's saying in that one game that with both Hill & TP starting that Pop made Hill the primary ball handler. Furthermore he's saying because of that one game that Pop sees Hill as a starting caliber PG and that is the reason TP is not untouchable.

Bito Corleone
04-24-2011, 11:58 PM
I hadn't read the rest of yalls back-and-forth when I posted that...so I figured out what he was trying to say, but still disagree.

Tony and George always switch off on who's handling the ball when they're on the floor together. I didn't really notice an obvious difference in Hill running the offense that much more than Tony in that game, and since I can't exactly check the tape right now, I'd say just in looking at the number that Tony ended up having the ball in his hands more.

I actually think that Tony is one of the most untouchable players (regardless of how he's played in this series) on the Spurs roster. His contract is one of the best in the NBA and is more than likely something the Spurs would like to hold onto.

Chomag
04-25-2011, 12:01 AM
Spurs once again I think would stay pat and being another year older. Honestly Spurs almost never make moves other then getting lucky with the ping pong balls. I really think that the Door shuts for a very long time after this season unless the FO finally decided that they need big changes. Unfortunately Spurs are just so old now that it will be hard to move anyone and get anything in return.

As great a player as he is and for the Spurs, TP would probably be the only player Spurs could use to get something in value that could make a difference. Again, I hate to see any of the Big 3 go and wish they would all play out their career here, but based on the current roster it's the only way that I see spurs could get a difference maker in return because there are allot of teams that would love to have a player of Parker's talent, and pedigree.

Spurs just don't really have anything else to give to get.

Capt Bringdown
04-25-2011, 12:10 AM
McDyess will be retired.

I wouldn't bet on it. Pop will be down on his hands and knees.

Josepatches_
04-25-2011, 12:12 AM
So most everyone thinks the Spurs return with the same core.
How many years do they have to continue trying to win with the same core team.

good point.

We'll see what happens this year.

Josepatches_
04-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Hill is just an overrated role player.

Neal is pretty overrated too

ducks
04-25-2011, 12:42 AM
hill,rj, blair for bosh
QUESTION

TD 21
04-25-2011, 01:31 AM
Only Duncan and Ginobili are untouchable. Parker's fairly close. The other five I expect to return: Jefferson, Bonner, Hill, Neal and Splitter. That leaves McDyess' partially guaranteed contract, Blair and Anderson. AKA, what should be three fourths of their trade bait to land a legit second big (1st round pick being the other fourth).

I'm not necessarily expecting those players to be traded. But I wouldn't be shocked if they are, so long as it's in return for a legit second big. Short of that, I expect McDyess to retire and the other ten players on guaranteed contracts to return. Obviously, they'll need a fifth big and a third point. One they should be able to add via the draft, the other via free agency. And if that is in fact the route they choose to go, then we'll know they've given up hope of competing for a final championship in the Duncan era.

NewcastleKEG
04-25-2011, 02:50 AM
Only Duncan and Ginobili are untouchable. Parker's fairly close. The other five I expect to return: Jefferson, Bonner, Hill, Neal and Splitter. That leaves McDyess' partially guaranteed contract, Blair and Anderson. AKA, what should be three fourths of their trade bait to land a legit second big (1st round pick being the other fourth).

I'm not necessarily expecting those players to be traded. But I wouldn't be shocked if they are, so long as it's in return for a legit second big. Short of that, I expect McDyess to retire and the other ten players on guaranteed contracts to return. Obviously, they'll need a fifth big and a third point. One they should be able to add via the draft, the other via free agency. And if that is in fact the route they choose to go, then we'll know they've given up hope of competing for a final championship in the Duncan era.
Unless your talking about a bottom feeder that wants to clear cap space, that's not much of a package. Like you stated McDyess might just retire and a 1st Round Spurs pick would basically be a high 2nd Rounder after a ''good deal for SA''.

For example, Bulls turned down dealing Asik (4th post player) for Courtney Lee, who would be starting right now. For the Spurs to get anyone legit that could make them a title contender they'd have to atleast include Hill in the deal. You'd be gutting your bench for a better starter but given the Spurs age is that really a smart move?

As most in this thread have correctly guessed - Spurs would have to break up the Big3 to remain/increase their chance of being title contenders. There has been and continues to be a large influx of great Point Guards in the NBA recently. And included in this draft will be 3 more - Irving, Walker & Knight. So how high is Parker's value at the moment?

Which Eastern Conference teams need PG help
- Knicks: But no one to offer in return
- Heat: But they need size more than SA
- Magic: Gorat would have been the IDEAL deal made with the Magic. Now it's Bass?

A team like the Pacers would be perfect to deal with if your the Spurs. They need a franchise face and have alot of size and pieces to deal
-

Pauleta14
04-25-2011, 03:52 AM
I think you and I realize that he's a versatile SG, but Pop did what he did in game one and it can't be undone. Personally, I can only go by what Pop does, and he's made Hill the backup point guard on this team.

The question is "do you think Pop could make Hill a STARTING point guard?"

I think it would be terrible for BOTH the team and George...

+ As weird as it is, Pop doesn't seem so mad about TP's production and as disapointing he has be in the PO, he's a "cheap" elite PG and the spurs would be stupid to get rid of him...

BTW, I read everywhere that Conley OUTPLAYED Tony in this series, that he lokks like TP ... blablabla
1st it's not Conley by himself, it's more Memphis collective D taht limited Tony, then if TP had Conley's production, he would still be disapointing...

Obstructed_View
04-25-2011, 07:47 AM
The question is "do you think Pop could make Hill a STARTING point guard?"

I think it would be terrible for BOTH the team and George...

+ As weird as it is, Pop doesn't seem so mad about TP's production and as disapointing he has be in the PO, he's a "cheap" elite PG and the spurs would be stupid to get rid of him...

BTW, I read everywhere that Conley OUTPLAYED Tony in this series, that he lokks like TP ... blablabla
1st it's not Conley by himself, it's more Memphis collective D taht limited Tony, then if TP had Conley's production, he would still be disapointing...

I think Pop could. Do I think it would be stupid? Absolutely, but Pop's done dumber shit, and has done it this season. The only way to be able to guess who's safe on this roster is to read the tea leaves, and watching Hill run point for three quarters in game 1, while still unbelievable to me, is telling to me of where Pop's head is. Many of us don't think Hill should have even been the backup point guard all this time, but Pop disagrees.

Conley has outplayed Parker in this series, but it's not like Parker has set the bar very high so far. Unless there's something we don't know about going on with him, we have to expect him to break out sooner rather than later.