PDA

View Full Version : As a whole.....

redskinfan
04-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Watching 80 percent of the games the officiating has been horrible and quite possibly the worst I have ever witnessed..Sorry not solely Spurs related here and if it get's bumped to NBA thread that's cool.

Spurs da champs
04-24-2011, 10:59 PM
It's true gotta love the Bulls-Pacers officiating the most tho D rose getting 20 free throws a game.:lol It's bias as hell but that's the way it's always been but yeah it's been worse this year.

redskinfan
04-24-2011, 11:00 PM
I bet the total fouls count and free throws given are at an all time high this years playoffs.

TE
04-25-2011, 03:55 AM
Yeah it's been pretty bad.

The officiating in this year's playoffs has been incredibly inconsistent.

ALVAREZ6
04-25-2011, 10:15 AM
NBA officiating is fucking atrocious. Stern needs to be shot and all of the crappy refs need to be purged away.

JR3
04-25-2011, 01:57 PM
I agree. I don't mind them screwing up here and there. But the inconsistent part is getting on my nerves. When do refs get fined? Only when throwing out players for laughing?

Jimcs50
04-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Oh, as a Whole, thought thread was "As a hole", and you were talking about Fpoonsie. My bad.

redskinfan
04-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Any word on crew for Spurs game tonight?

DMC
04-25-2011, 05:19 PM
It's been about the same as always. I don't recall a great officiating season.

GSH
04-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Rose shot 49 free throws in 3 games, and that carried the Bulls. There's no denying that he is a great player. But there is also no denying that he gets calls because of it, or that the same thing that draws a whistle on one end doesn't draw a whistle on the other. I'm not saying that it is a conspiracy, but I do think that too many of the refs are influenced by the league's own hype machine. Derek Rose is the next coming of Michael Jordan, so if he misses a shot he must have been fouled.

The refs called that Jason Kidd 3-pointer a 2-pointer. They even went to the replay screen, and STILL called it a 2-pointer. Meanwhile, there was a shot that clearly showed that there was space between his toe and the 3-P line. It didn't (quite) determine the outcome of the game, but damn. If you're going to use instant replay, get it right.

I hear people complain about all the contact that Dwight Howard takes. But I see him get by with shit that would draw whistles on anyone else in the league. I also get a kick out of watching him wander around in the paint for a full possession. There was one play where the Magic got a steal and went on a fast break without him, and I swear he never left the paint for two consecutive possessions.

Derek Fisher's belly-bump and two-handed hand checks have gotten to the point of being ridiculous, as has the Lakers' hedge-and-hold technique for taking opposing point guards out of position. (Actually, the hedge-and-hold has gotten popular all around the league.) I thought putting two hands on a ball handler was supposed to be an automatic whistle, as per a rule change a few years ago?

The Griz have been grabbing at the Spurs' bigs in an attempt (successful at times) to throw off the timing on the pick and roll. Twice I watched Randolph grab Timmy's jersey and stretch it about a foot last game, to keep him from getting out on a pick. It was right out in the open, and the ref was looking right at it. Kind of hard to miss. But one of my favorites was at the end of the third quarter, when Fran Vasquez tried to take it to the hole with a couple of seconds left and took FOUR steps after his last dribble. Not little stutter-steps, but FOUR great big strides. He was the only focus of attention on the court, and the refs could not possible have missed it. Nothing.

This isn't just bias from a Spurs fan. In fact, most of the worst atrocities have involved other teams. There have been too many times where it looked uncomfortably like the WWF, where one team beats the shit out of the other, and then the victim comes roaring back with the help of selectively-blind officials. (If I was a Pacers' fan, I might be tempted to give up on the NBA altogether.) Like another poster said, it's not so much the bad calls that bother me, as it is the inconsistency.

duncan228
04-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Any word on crew for Spurs game tonight?

The refs are usually in the preview thread game day morning.

Grim-ish numbers on this group:

Since 1997, with:

MONTY MCCUTCHEN

5-7 overall; 2-4 on road; 4-2 in First Round Games

All games:
LOSS -- 2002 WCSF v. LAL (Game 4)
WIN -- 2003 WCFR @ PNX (Game 4)
LOSS -- 2004 WCSF @ LAL (Game 4)
WIN -- 2006 WCFR v. SAC (Game 1)
WIN -- 2007 WCFR v. DEN (Game 2)
LOSS -- 2007 WCF @ UTH (Game 3)
WIN -- 2008 WCFR @ PNX (Game 3)