View Full Version : 2011 Draft Prospect: Cory Joseph

Bruno
04-25-2011, 09:40 AM
http://mit.zenfs.com/190/2011/04/CoryJoseph.jpg
Height: 6-3
Weight: 180 lbs
Birthday: 09/20/1991
College: Texas

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Cory-Joseph-5664/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/cory-joseph)

Spurtacus
05-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Fuck you for leaving Texas early.

Spurtacus
05-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Texas is replacing him with a much better player in Kabongo. Joseph couldn't pass up going into the NBA with the chance of a freshman taking his starting spot.

Understandable. But leaving early just to get drafted in the middle of the 2nd round?

yavozerb
05-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Understandable. But leaving early just to get drafted in the middle of the 2nd round?

Who is to say he goes in the 2nd round? Pre-draft this year is going to be important more than ever for these kids since most of the prospects are all about equal from mid-1st rd picks to early 2nd rd. He could very well move into the late 1st cause of his size and age for a pg.

Spurtacus
05-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Who is to say he goes in the 2nd round? Pre-draft this year is going to be important more than ever for these kids since most of the prospects are all about equal from mid-1st rd picks to early 2nd rd. He could very well move into the late 1st cause of his size and age for a pg.

I have him projected mid second right now. And that is in a weak draft class too. We'll see over the next few weeks.

bigdog
05-23-2011, 11:12 AM
Definite first rounder, after what I've heard from his pre-draft workouts.

yavozerb
05-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Definite first rounder, after what I've heard from his pre-draft workouts.

:nope, maybe not even a 2nd rounder...

Bruno
06-01-2011, 03:28 PM
He worked out today with Spurs per Matthew Bryan-Amaning:

http://twitter.com/#!/MBALIVE11/status/75996798698786816

Bender
06-23-2011, 09:28 PM
bump - winner

Spurtacus
06-23-2011, 09:33 PM
I am eating crow.

jesterbobman
06-23-2011, 10:03 PM
To people who watch a lot of College Bball, what's he like
1) Running the Pick and Roll
2) defending Pick and Roll
3) defending off of the ball.

If those are good, I'm fine with it, even if it seems to be a bit of a reach. I doubt he'll be playing huge minutes anyway.

yavozerb
06-23-2011, 10:35 PM
I am eating crow.

No big deal really, pretty much everything you said was correct..I think cory was just lucky the draft so weak and at least one team was willing to gamble on him..

Spurtacus
06-23-2011, 11:24 PM
No big deal really, pretty much everything you said was correct..I think cory was just lucky the draft so weak and at least one team was willing to gamble on him..

Cory definitely made the right decision for himself. First rounder and he gets to stay in Texas.

Spurtacus
06-23-2011, 11:24 PM
Positives

Scoring combo guard
Ability to penetrate to the rim
Excellent finisher
Solid shooter
Very quick off the dribble

Negatives

More combo guard than point guard
Solid, but not spectacular athlete
Can be turnover prone

May 9 Update: One source close to the player told ESPN Insider that a team promised to draft him in the early second round. Although the source wasn't 100 percent clear which team it was, a little more digging revealed that the Cleveland Cavaliers were the team that seemed to be the highest on Joseph. The Cavs own the 31st pick in the draft, which is the the first pick of the second round.

May 3 Update: Joseph is also a long shot for the first round right now. But at least he's draftable as a young, athletic point. Next year? With Myck Kabongo -- one of the top two freshmen point guards in the country -- coming in, there's a chance he moves to the 2 and his draft stock plummets. Joseph isn't ready, and he won't go particularly high in the draft. But he may not get another shot until 2013 ... and he could be an afterthought by then.

Apr 22 Update: Joseph is a bit of a surprise entry. He had a solid freshman season, but it wasn't anything that screamed NBA right now. He's got quickness going for him, but he's still learning how to balance being a scorer and a point guard. Most likely, the arrival of Myck Kabongo in Texas has something to do with it. Kabongo is a better point guard and a better NBA prospect who could push Joseph off the ball next year. Joseph might get a look in the first round, but he'll most likely go in the second round or undrafted. He probably needs to go back to school.

Mr. Body
06-24-2011, 01:32 AM
:nope, maybe not even a 2nd rounder...

Nicely done, yavo.

ElNono
06-24-2011, 03:26 AM
RC even said this was the guy they were targeting at #29 from the get go

mountainballer
06-24-2011, 05:34 AM
doesn't he say this every year?

Mr. Body
06-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Yeah, I think RC is obligated to say that. It's good GMing/courtesy.

I do believe they wanted to pull him with Indiana's #42 but got nervous when other PG-types like Nolan Smith went earlier than expected.

The Heat, for example, may have jumped on Joseph with the #31.

Anonymous Cowherd
06-25-2011, 07:01 AM
yeah, definitely good tactics to take the PG at 29 and leave the euro prospect for the 42 pick, which paid off as he was still available.

ace3g
06-25-2011, 12:55 PM
spurs San Antonio Spurs
Watch the full Kawhi Leonard and Cory Joseph introductory press conference here - http://j.mp/jCLxaf

JoeAlexander210 Joe Alexander
New Spurs Kawhi Leonard and Cory Joseph with their jerseys. http://twitpic.com/5gr10q

spurs San Antonio Spurs
Cory Joseph has a message for our fans. Find out what he had to say - http://youtu.be/7PsNAcnxrvM #GoSpursGo

ace3g
06-25-2011, 08:51 PM
Joseph doesn’t dwell on his infamous five-second call against Arizona

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/06/25/joseph-doesnt-dwell-on-his-infamous-five-second-call-against-arizona/

k_nguyen93
06-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Interview: http://media.ccomrcdn.com/media/station_content/1229/Corey_Joseph_6-25-11_1309102829_16918.mp3

5in10
06-27-2011, 06:54 PM
His body type and jump shot remind me of Deron Williams, and no im not saying he can be the next Dwill, just that they have similarities in that regard.

Mel_13
06-27-2011, 07:09 PM
I wonder if this kid is gonna get any real time next year.

He'll start at PG and play 30 mpg for the Toros.

5in10
06-27-2011, 07:17 PM
:lol:lol

Can he honestly be that much worse at running the point then gh3 his rookie year? At least this kid has played point before the pros unlike gh3.

Mel_13
06-27-2011, 07:26 PM
:lol:lol

Can he honestly be that much worse at running the point then gh3 his rookie year? At least this kid has played point before the pros unlike gh3.

Well if RJ and Leonard share the minutes at SF, that leaves rotation minutes for 4 guards:

Tony
Manu
Neal
Anderson

Still haven't mentioned Green, Butler, and a possible veteran PG.

Hard to see Cory playing much unless there is an injury to a player ahead of him.

Bruno
06-27-2011, 07:26 PM
With no SL and a possible lengthy lockout, it would be great if he can play with Canada NT.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-27-2011, 07:56 PM
the position of PG is one that is easy to fill...

The 3 most common positions in the NBA are SG, PF and PG in that order (there are few TRUE SFs and Cs but that's another story). PGs are easy to obtain due to height and the desire for young JR high, HS and college players to play. About 95% of all basketball players in HS are 6'5" and below and are taught how to dribble and pass. Likewise, just about EVERYBODY develops the SG skillset as well by trying to be like Mike, Kobe, etc. and shooting 3s from all over the court. The guys who do actually grow taller (6'8" or above) still have that scoring from a face to the basket midrange game mentality over posting up.

Because of this PGs, SGs and PFs are more easily obtained. Look at the recent draft - 9 of the 1st 12 picks were a PG/SG/PF. So says NBA history...

http://www.nba.com/history/draft_top13.html

In other words, there's really no need to be overly concerned about common positions - if you draft or trade for a bust in one, there'll be another one to replace them soon.

Now, the SF and C positions are quite a bit different in terms of skillset and as a result, very few taller players want to develop a true post up game or emphasize defense and rebounding over offense. Combine that w/ more uptempo running style of basketball, you get leaner players who shy away from contact vs. trying to put on muscle and wanting to bang. Case in point: the last SF to get drafted #1 overall was Lebron, before that it was James Worthy.

So I say let Cory be 2nd on the depth chart behind TP. Neal can be 3rd as he really is a SG. If TP gets hurt for a substantial length of time (which is likely), then picking up another PG shouldn't be difficult.

GB20
06-27-2011, 08:04 PM
his body type and jump shot remind me of deron williams, and no im not saying he can be the next dwill, just that they have similarities in that regard.
1+

bluebellmaniac
06-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Well if RJ and Leonard share the minutes at SF, that leaves rotation minutes for 4 guards:

Tony
Manu
Neal
Anderson

Still haven't mentioned Green, Butler, and a possible veteran PG.

Hard to see Cory playing much unless there is an injury to a player ahead of him.

As it stands with the current roster, though I believe the FO is looking for more change before the end of next year, I see the SG depth as Manu, Anderson and Neal. Though Manu may come off the bench as he has in the past. The PG depth is thus Tony, ? And Cory. I could see Pop playing both Anderson as SG and either Manu or Neal with limited PG minutes until we either get a vet backup or Cory looks like he's ready. Not yet sold on Green or Butler. I have hopes for Butler though.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-27-2011, 08:41 PM
As it stands with the current roster, though I believe the FO is looking for more change before the end of next year, I see the SG depth as Manu, Anderson and Neal. Though Manu may come off the bench as he has in the past. The PG depth is thus Tony, ? And Cory. I could see Pop playing both Anderson as SG and either Manu or Neal with limited PG minutes until we either get a vet backup or Cory looks like he's ready. Not yet sold on Green or Butler. I have hopes for Butler though.

Why not Cory as the #2 PG? Why is there a need for another PG? Hill was the #2 as a rookie

bluebellmaniac
06-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Why not Cory as the #2 PG? Why is there a need for another PG? Hill was the #2 as a rookie

I see Cory as still being pretty raw, whereas I see Leonard as better prepared for playing time at this level. Had Cory waited another year to enter the draft then yes I could see that. Cory was trying to not play 2nd string to a freshman at Texas... so he can use some time with the Toros before he's ready to back up Tony. I see Cory getting regular minutes after next season.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Excellent point. Bluebell - you're alright...

5in10
06-29-2011, 12:19 AM
I say just throw him into the fire Parker style. Manu can play the point, we just need this guy to defend, and make shots to keep the d honest.I keel hearing he's not that athletic but I've seen plays were he looked pretty damn athletic.

Bruno
07-16-2011, 02:40 PM
With no SL and a possible lengthy lockout, it would be great if he can play with Canada NT.

http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/ericsmith/2011/07/16/a-big-boost-for-canada/

Though his name did not originally appear on the Training Camp Roster, Rautins explained to me Joseph could be training with the team at Ryerson as early as next week.

“We’re trying to figure out…finalize the insurance and (Cory) has given every indication he’d like to play,” said Rautins. “We’re hoping that can happen soon.”

Sources indicated that the insurance is all-but done, it’s simply a matter of crossing a few T’s and dotting a few I’s at this point. So, barring an unforeseen setback, fans should expect to see Joseph in camp by early-to-mid next week. In fact, though the Spurs are not allowed to comment on any of their players (due to the NBA Lockout / on-going Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiations), sources have said that San Antonio may have been quietly hoping that Joseph suited up for Canada — to get a little more schooling and experience in preparation for his rookie season with Gregg Popovich and Co.

In 10 days, Canada will play a couple of games against France. Parker vs. Joseph :downspin:

jesterbobman
07-16-2011, 06:27 PM
I think rotation wise, If you say Parker plays ~32, Manu plays ~28 we have 36 minutes left in rotation. I'd say we need one of Tony and Manu on the floor most of the time(Parker-Anderson, Manu-Neal as other combos work, I'm not sure of a Neal-Anderson Backcourt). If we say Manu plays 20 minutes a game in the backcourt with Parker, we'd have 8 minutes a game with neither on the court. Could Corey play 8 minutes a game?(Or less if Manu and TP are more split) or could Neal-Anderson work for a few minutes a game (against bench backcourts). I'm not sure we need another PG, as either that guy or Joseph will be bench riding for the majority of the time.

Bruno
07-16-2011, 07:46 PM
The question is more if a Ginobili/Neal backcourt can work given that none is a true PG. Pop can easily have a rotation where at least one of Parker and Ginobili always of the court. The easiest way to do so would be to start Parker with Anderson.

GB20
07-16-2011, 08:14 PM
The question is more if a Ginobili/Neal backcourt can work given that none is a true PG. Pop can easily have a rotation where at least one of Parker and Ginobili always of the court. The easiest way to do so would be to start Parker with Anderson.
i don't know you guys but i think we have a true back up point guard with cory joseph now since beno left this team.

Ditty
07-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Cory needs to be spending his whole rookie year in Austin. Never seen him much when he was at UT, but what everyone says he isn't ready for the nba, and needs to work on his weaknesses. Hoping if Spurs somehow end up trading RJ, Spurs can net a backup point guard like a Ramon Sessions in the trade, who Cleveland is trying to trade.

buttsR4rebounding
07-17-2011, 01:24 AM

This is what I think will happen. The first sub is Manu for Anderson, then Neal for Parker with Manu moving to the 1. Then Parker back in for Manu. Joseph may start with the Toros, but I think ends up with the team as its 3rd PG getting spot and blow out minutes.

Tyrone Jenkins
07-17-2011, 09:13 AM
This is what I think will happen. The first sub is Manu for Anderson, then Neal for Parker with Manu moving to the 1. Then Parker back in for Manu. Joseph may start with the Toros, but I think ends up with the team as its 3rd PG getting spot and blow out minutes.

I think a better solution would be to START Anderson and have manu come off the bench w/ Neal.

ChuckD
07-17-2011, 10:44 AM
I think a better solution would be to START Anderson and have manu come off the bench w/ Neal.

Uh, that's what he said. Sub Manu FOR Anderson, meaning Anderson started. Then Sub Neal FOR Parker.

Tyrone Jenkins
07-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Uh, that's what he said. Sub Manu FOR Anderson, meaning Anderson started. Then Sub Neal FOR Parker.

I guess I read his mentioning of the 1st sub he would make would be Anderson for Manu after the game had already started...

5in10
07-20-2011, 08:05 AM
I just read on 48moh twitter feed that Cory joseph will PLAY for the Canadian national team.

GB20
08-13-2011, 05:01 PM
http://sportscanada.tv/index.php/2011jackdonohue
cory joseph is playing right now with his national team.

5in10
08-13-2011, 08:13 PM
How did he do?

Hooks
08-13-2011, 09:22 PM
How did he do?

I didn't watch the entire game but I think I saw him play like 20 mins total, didn't really standout, he looked like he was trying to find his role on the team. He did play pretty good defense though and at one point chased some guy down LBJ style and swatted his shot but picked up a foul (body contact when coming down).

He drove it in once and got fouled and made 1 out of 2 FT's. That's the only time I saw him score.

yavozerb
08-13-2011, 09:57 PM
How did he do?
http://projectspurs.com/2011-articles/august/joseph-makes-debut-as-canada-defeats-belgium.html

Bruno
08-14-2011, 12:37 AM
I'm sure Spurs FO is looking closely at how well Joseph will do with Canada NT. Joseph readiness to play some NBA minutes is a big factor to decided on whether adding or not a vet PG to the team.

Roger Freemason Jr.
08-15-2011, 02:52 PM
His second game against Belguim was offensively pretty bad once again, but he had some good moments. It's his defense that is shining bright, and it's his defense that probably made R.C and Pop the most interested.

Offense can be taught, but defensive will and tenacity can't be.

Hooks
08-15-2011, 04:40 PM
His second game against Belguim was offensively pretty bad once again, but he had some good moments. It's his defense that is shining bright, and it's his defense that probably made R.C and Pop the most interested.

Offense can be taught, but defensive will and tenacity can't be.

I wonder if he will be playing for the spurs this year in limited minutes, after all guys like udoka n bogans got pt just because of their d n they were horrible.

yavozerb
08-15-2011, 08:09 PM
I wonder if he will be playing for the spurs this year in limited minutes, after all guys like udoka n bogans got pt just because of their d n they were horrible.

In my opinion the more PT Joseph gets with the spurs the worse off the season will be for the spurs. The spurs did not draft this kid in my opinion to help the team in the coming season, the spurs have drafted this kid to provide depth in season 2 and hopefully provide some quality PT in season 3 which could be TP's final season. The d-league is a much better place to develop a pg rather than a big since size is at a premium even in the NBA. I expect Joseph to spend at least 50% of the coming season in Austin.

Roger Freemason Jr.
08-15-2011, 09:02 PM
To be honest, I didn't like the signing, when I heard him and RC have a little history. It's kind of like, RC bringing him into the NBA as a favor, but of course that's not true either, but I'm sure his defense stemmed from a couple RC lectures and what not.

GB20
08-15-2011, 09:56 PM
In my opinion the more PT Joseph gets with the spurs the worse off the season will be for the spurs. The spurs did not draft this kid in my opinion to help the team in the coming season, the spurs have drafted this kid to provide depth in season 2 and hopefully provide some quality PT in season 3 which could be TP's final season. The d-league is a much better place to develop a pg rather than a big since size is at a premium even in the NBA. I expect Joseph to spend at least 50% of the coming season in Austin.
I don't wanna say anything about these guys right now, it is too early to say what is going to happen to him.

Bruno
09-02-2011, 03:33 PM
I've looked at him closely during the Canada/Dominican republic and he wasn't really good.

Joseph started at PG and his pedestrian stats (6 pts and 4 assists in 22 minutes) didn't reflect at all the game.

CoJo played the right way. He takes care well of the ball. He did a lot of good passes and some good drive and kick plays. In term of pure point guard skills, he was just great. He took 3 shots: a made catch and shoot 3, a made mid range shoot form the dribble and he badly airballed a 3. Defensively, he was quick, smart and aggressive: awesome defense.

Joseph might not be ready in his rookie year be he showed a lot of promises for such a young player.