PDA

View Full Version : Stop whining and put your big pants on

GSH
04-25-2011, 09:44 AM
I am amazed at the number of Spurs fans who seem to have abandoned the team because they have lost two games to Memphis. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised... but I am. It's bad enough that you have forgotten about the Spurs being down 2-1 (and 3-2) to New Orleans, just three seasons ago. But apparently you haven't been paying attention to the other series in this year's playoffs:

Everyone thought that the easiest first round opponent in the Western Conference was New Orleans. They are currenty tied 2-2 with the defending-champion Lakers.

Through most of the season, the sportswriters and commentators said that the best team in the West was Dallas. They are currenty tied 2-2 with Portland.

OKC is up 3-0 on Denver, but ONLY because the refs messed up so badly that the league office was forced to publicly admit that they screwed Denver out of Game 1. (Who knows how that affected Games 2 and 3?) If Denver wins at home tonight, and they probably will, that series would be tied 2-2 as well.

The same could be said for the Bulls-Pacers series, which Chicago currently leads 3-1. The refs decided the outcome of Game 1 (not to mention sending Rose to the line 49 times in the first 3 games), which is the ONLY reason that series isn't tied at 2-2.

Atlanta now leads Orlando 3-1. The Magic obviously weren't the favorites in the East, but most people saw them as contenders. Now they are one loss from a first round exit.

Call it parity, or call it coincidence, but the only two teams that have been easy outs in the first round have been the Knicks and the Sixers. Anyone surprised at that? And those are also the only two teams whose fans have reason to give up at this point. (Knicks fans should proceed directly to giving up on next season.)

So put your big pants on, go back and review the 07-08 series against the Hornets, and stop the bullshit. That year, the Spurs lost Game 1 by 19 points, Game 2 by 18 points, and Game 5 by 22 points. The Spurs were down 3-2, after getting blown out in three games, and New Orleans had HCA. But the Spurs still broke them down in Games 5 and 6. Now compare that to the two close losses we have had to Memphis. A win tonight, and the Spurs will be tied 2-2, and will have the HCA back. Even if the Spurs were to lose tonight, they could win Game 5 at home, and STILL be in the same situation they were in against the Hornets.

Seriously, people. If you're going to give up this easily, you don't deserve to be Spurs fans. You should pick another team to "support". But if you're considering the Lakers, Mavs, or even the Bulls, you might want to reconsider.

hater
04-25-2011, 09:45 AM
this is gonna be a long series 6 or 7 games

StoneBuddha
04-25-2011, 09:55 AM
Awesome opening post!! Believe!

:flag:

Dex
04-25-2011, 09:56 AM
I am amazed at the number of Spurs fans who seem to have abandoned the team because they have lost two games to Memphis. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised... but I am. It's bad enough that you have forgotten about the Spurs being down 2-1 (and 3-2) to New Orleans, just three seasons ago. But apparently you haven't been paying attention to the other series in this year's playoffs:

Everyone thought that the easiest first round opponent in the Western Conference was New Orleans. They are currenty tied 2-2 with the defending-champion Lakers.

Through most of the season, the sportswriters and commentators said that the best team in the West was Dallas. They are currenty tied 2-2 with Portland.

OKC is up 3-0 on Denver, but ONLY because the refs messed up so badly that the league office was forced to publicly admit that they screwed Denver out of Game 1. (Who knows how that affected Games 2 and 3?) If Denver wins at home tonight, and they probably will, that series would be tied 2-2 as well.

The same could be said for the Bulls-Pacers series, which Chicago currently leads 3-1. The refs decided the outcome of Game 1 (not to mention sending Rose to the line 49 times in the first 3 games), which is the ONLY reason that series isn't tied at 2-2.

Atlanta now leads Orlando 3-1. The Magic obviously weren't the favorites in the East, but most people saw them as contenders. Now they are one loss from a first round exit.

Call it parity, or call it coincidence, but the only two teams that have been easy outs in the first round have been the Knicks and the Sixers. Anyone surprised at that? And those are also the only two teams whose fans have reason to give up at this point. (Knicks fans should proceed directly to giving up on next season.)

So put your big pants on, go back and review the 07-08 series against the Hornets, and stop the bullshit. That year, the Spurs lost Game 1 by 19 points, Game 2 by 18 points, and Game 5 by 22 points. The Spurs were down 3-2, after getting blown out in three games, and New Orleans had HCA. But the Spurs still broke them down in Games 5 and 6. Now compare that to the two close losses we have had to Memphis. A win tonight, and the Spurs will be tied 2-2, and will have the HCA back. Even if the Spurs were to lose tonight, they could win Game 5 at home, and STILL be in the same situation they were in against the Hornets.

Seriously, people. If you're going to give up this easily, you don't deserve to be Spurs fans. You should pick another team to "support". But if you're considering the Lakers, Mavs, or even the Bulls, you might want to reconsider.

:tu Always good to know which posters still have a little sense around here. There is a reason that we were hoping to to avoid the Memphis Grizzlies; they match up with us very well and are able to exploit our weaknesses. Anybody who thought this was going to be a short series was being optimistic at best.

I think part of the reason for the chicken little mentality is the expectation this team set in the regular season. When you explode out of the gates like the Spurs did and start setting all these franchise records, people start to set the personal bar pretty high.

Half of the posters on this forum weren't sure if the Spurs would even make the playoffs at the start of the season, and by the mid-way point people figured they were a lock for the Finals. Ironically, after that 6-game losing streak, this team didn't even finish as the best Spurs team (record-wise) OR the best team in the League.

Still, people assumed they were biding their time and waiting for the playoffs. A veteran team like the Spurs surely knew when to turn it on...right? If I have a concern, this is my biggest one, and it's one that I'm sure all Spurs fans are feeling.

The playoffs have now started, and the Spurs can't seem to find the switch. The turnovers, the discombobulation on defense, the lack of execution late in games...all of that stuff that was supposed to magically remedy itself come playoff time hasn't. What's worse, the team now seems to be mired in the situation and can't recapture that spark that had them blazing through the regular season.

I've always been the type to ride the ship until the end, even if it's going down into the water. I know this team has the talent to beat this Grizzlies squad, if not go all the way. However, I still think they need to find a way to hit that proverbial switch, one way or another, if they hope to make that dream a reality. This team is not talented enough to bumble its way through the playoffs and it was never built to be; it is going to have to earn everything with execution and killer instinct.

wunderkindepiphany
04-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Thank you. This is our second close loss, its not like were getting blown out. We need to make adjustments and grind out a win today.

mazerrackham
04-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Thank you. This is our second close loss, its not like were getting blown out. We need to make adjustments and grind out a win today.

Definitely. Believe Until the end :flag:

ManuBalboa
04-25-2011, 10:11 AM
It's not that they are losing, it's how they are losing.

lefty
04-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Exactly

GSH
04-25-2011, 10:36 AM

Bullshit. There's no good way to lose, and you wouldn't feel any better about two losses, no matter how they happened. Do you think the Lakers' two losses, or the Mavs' two losses are somehow better than our Spurs'? Nope. But I'm willing to bet their fans haven't written them off just yet.

In '08 the Spurs lost the first two games to NO, 82-101 and 84-102. If losing two close games is such a bad sign, then losing in two blowouts has to be a lot worse. By your theory, the Spurs should have had no chance to win that series.

The Spurs held the Griz to 87 and 91 points in the last two games. For a team that is supposed to be unable to play defense, that's not too shabby. Parker has been off his game, and the team has missed a bunch of layups, point-blank shots, and free throws. Make a few of those, and they would be leading this series 3-0.

So stop it. Just stop it. Try not to act like this is the first playoff series you've ever watched. This is a damn good team. They deserve better fans than this.

JR3
04-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Just for the record... I've been missing not because the spurs are losing, but because I get sick of reading all the negative comments on spurstalk after a loss. This is a great thread that has a ballanced perspective. Thanks.

wunderkindepiphany
04-25-2011, 10:46 AM
To be honest, the difference in the last game was the free-throws. The way that we were shooting free-throws, we gave the game away, right there. The turnovers were killing us too, but this is that kind of series. Every possession has a player reaching in for a steal or a defensive set that puts the ball-handler out of position, so the turnover rate should be a bit higher. There's still no excuse for turning the ball over, but I can see why we are doing it at a higher rate. Tony is being limited in the paint, which is understandable, but that doesn't mean we stop making the extra pass and start settling for jumpers. The missed layups and hesitations underneath the basket are inexcusable, as well. I am disappointed in McDyess. On more than one occasion, I saw him grab a rebound in the paint and pass it back out, to the top of the key, instead of bodying up and getting the two points or drawing a foul. I know Dice plays the 4 more naturally and gets a lot of his points off of his mid-range jumper and put-backs, but there's no reason he should be that frantic in the paint. I don't know who is responsible for coaching our bigs but, with the exception of Blair and Splitter, they all play scared. That doesn't bode well for us; our only tenacious big-man is benched, because he's under-sized. Size isn't everything, its the mentality. We play soft, in the paint. I, like everybody else on this board, would like to see Splitter out there, if for nothing more than just defensive intensity, but its not going to happen. Bonner is playing to his potential, I don't think you can fault him for a lack of effort. He is a step behind his defender, fails to box-out in key situations and, as of late, is experiencing a dip in his 3 point-percentage. Sounds about on par with what he usually does, come playoff time.

I'd love to see Parker, Neal, Ginobili, Blair, Duncan start the game and have Dick come off the bench for Ginobili, Hill for Neal, and McDyess for Blair. Have Hill spell Parker, when he's not playing the 2 and let Neal play the 2 with him and Gino at the 3.

Fabbs
04-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Is this the "everything is okay, believe" crowd that said virtually the same things during the 2008, 09, and 10 playoffs?

believe

ManuBalboa
04-25-2011, 10:57 AM
So stop it. Just stop it. Try not to act like this is the first playoff series you've ever watched where Pop does not even attempt to make adjustments until it is too late . This is a damn good team. They deserve a better coach than this.

FIFY :toast

TJastal
04-25-2011, 11:11 AM
Pop needs to quit being frugal with Bonner's minutes and fully unleash the ginger to 36+. Only with the power of the ginger playing starter minutes will we ride to victory in games 4,5,6.

Kool Bob Love
04-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Just for the record... I've been missing not because the spurs are losing, but because I get sick of reading all the negative comments on spurstalk after a loss. This is a great thread that has a ballanced perspective. Thanks.

Yup sometimes I find myself hating bonner and POP when im on ST.:depressed

Oh will have to take the good and the bad.:toast

Jimcs50
04-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Always have been a shitload of Chicken Littles in this forum. We all know who they are.

I hope Spurs do right the ship and start making shots, but if they don't and they lose series, then life will go on, you don't have to drink the Koolaid.

:lol

TJastal
04-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Always have been a shitload of Chicken Littles in this forum. We all know who they are.

I hope Spurs do right the ship and start making shots, but if they don't and they lose series, then life will go on, you don't have to drink the Koolaid.

:lol

Right on.

If the spurs lose it will be because Pop didn't unleash the power of the ginger to its fullest potential.

spurspokesman
04-25-2011, 12:28 PM
I always believe in the spurs and the old adage "Never count out the Spurs" but if they dont win tonight I do not believe in them to win three straight with there twinkie like play. This is sad and aggravating honestly.

mytespurs
04-25-2011, 12:37 PM

Actually Sixers fought to live another day. :-)

as one of the semi chicken littles,well written post- couldn't have said it better. I wasn't as gung ho as many were about the Spurs despite their great season-my enthusiasm was cautious as best-kept waiting for that other shoe to drop.
I'll admit my faith in the Spurs is on the shaky side yet I still think they can win this series. Now ss for beyond this series............

Just hoping for a win tonight.........

in2deep
04-25-2011, 12:41 PM
good news: none of the games have been blowouts and we could easily have won game 1 and 3 if some shots fell in.

bad news: Spurs have outrebounded the grizz, and got their best players in foul trouble all 3 games. And we still can't beat them! :pctoss

silverblackfan
04-25-2011, 12:52 PM
First of all good post. I have and always been with the team right until the final buzzer sounds. Thats why they play all the games. I am really just bummed because I thought they would wrap this up in 5 games.
It sucks to have lost 2 games by essentially 1 bad possession or a few missed free-throws. I do keep wondering what is going to happen when the Spurs start hitting some of those shots. Too many clinched butts on the Spurs squad. Just relax guys and hit those shots!

sa_butta
04-25-2011, 01:01 PM
good news: none of the games have been blowouts and we could easily have won game 1 and 3 if some shots fell in.

bad news: Spurs have outrebounded the grizz, and got their best players in foul trouble all 3 games. And we still can't beat them! :pctoss
You have to believe at some point that the shots will fall for us...Simply put the looks are there, the fucking ball is just not going in the hole.

beirmeistr
04-25-2011, 01:07 PM
Put your big pants on???
We'd have to borrow them from Charles Barkley.

Solid D
04-25-2011, 01:08 PM
A lot of folks in here already have their "big pants" on but that's because they don't exercise and have crumbs on their keyboards.

SpurSpurSpurs
04-25-2011, 01:12 PM
Spurs did overcome the Hornets, but what happened? They were tired come Lakers series and lost 4 to 1. That's what I'm FKN pissed off at the moment. Pop should have played his cards the right way for a BIGGER chance of giving Tim's 5th ring. That what I FKN care about. Give Tim what he deserve! Few more rings!

I'm not abandoning though. "Till the wheels fall off" - Tim Duncan