PDA

View Full Version : Malone expects to talk to Spurs

KoriEllis
09-09-2004, 03:36 AM
Malone expects to talk to Spurs
Web Posted: 09/09/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

www.mysanantonio.com/spor...b3185.html (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA090904.1C.BKNspursmonroe.643b3185.html)

After two full months of rehabilitation on his surgically repaired right knee, free-agent forward Karl Malone said he is confident he will regain 100 percent effectiveness on the basketball court and has made a decision about whether he will continue his career in the NBA, and with whom.

He's just not ready to share his decision with anyone, including the Spurs.

The Spurs have told Malone they have a spot on their roster for him if, and when, he determines he would like it. They can offer Malone only the veterans' minimum contract of $1.1 million, but Malone already has shown he is motivated more by a winning situation than money.

"I know what I want to do," Malone said. "I'm just not ready to say yet."

That may be because the Minnesota Timberwolves have decided to enter the bidding for his services. According to the St. Paul Pioneer-Press, Timberwolves general manager Kevin McHale, coach Flip Saunders and star forward Kevin Garnett will visit Malone this week at his home near Newport Beach, Calif., in attempt to convince him to sign with the Wolves.

The Los Angeles Lakers, for whom Malone played last season, and the Miami Heat also have expressed interest in Malone.

Before he left for Europe with the U.S. Olympic team, Spurs executive vice president and coach Gregg Popovich said he would speak with Malone after his return. Popovich is vacationing and has yet to talk with Malone.

Malone said Wednesday that he understands that Popovich needed to "get away from everything" after the U.S. team's disappointing showing in Athens. They will talk just as soon as Popovich feels the time is right.

"I realize what coach Pop is going through," Malone said. "He stepped back and let me do my thing, and I'm going to do the same with him. When the time is appropriate, we will talk. I don't want anyone to think I'm stringing anyone along.

"If coach Pop calls today and says, 'We need to know something today,' out of respect for them I'll give them a decision. But I don't think they'd do it like that."

Meanwhile, Malone continues to work out, to the point where he now feels very confident about his right knee.

"I feel pretty good right now," Malone said. "I'm not rushing it, not in any hurry, but it's gone really well. I'm getting close (to 100 percent) and I know I'm going to be able to get back to 100 percent. Not 95 percent, but 100 percent. That's encouraging."

Malone stressed his need to be a real contributor for any team, not a "hired gun" for a team looking for a final piece of a championship puzzle. He watched the Spurs improve their roster over the summer by re-signing Manu Ginobili and signing free-agent shooting guard Brent Barry. They also signed free-agent power forwards Tony Massenburg and Sean Marks and small forward Linton Johnson III.

Those moves, Malone said, made the Spurs a strong title contender, with or without him.

"They told me everything they were going to do," he said, "and then they went out and did it. That's how they do business, and that's how I like to do business.

"It is one thing when a team calls that wants you to bring veteran leadership and be that final piece. It is another thing when a team that can win it all without Karl Malone — and the Spurs are that — calls you and says they still want you. That means a lot."

What remains a mystery is how Malone's family feels about relocating from the Los Angeles area, where some of his closest friends say his family has gotten comfortable since Malone signed with the Lakers last summer.

But what no longer appears to be an unknown is that Malone will, indeed, play a 20th NBA season. Some of those same friends are convinced he wants to end his brilliant career on his own terms.

Said one longtime associate, "In his mind, going out on his own terms doesn't mean going out on an injury."

timvp
09-09-2004, 04:31 AM

"I don't want anyone to think I'm stringing anyone along."

Keep talking you dumb mufuka.

:bang

iminlakerland
09-09-2004, 04:35 AM
Lol timvp hang in there just hang in there!

DeSPURado
09-09-2004, 04:38 AM
"If coach Pop calls today and says, 'We need to know something today,' out of respect for them I'll give them a decision.

He aint coming....

afe7FATMAN
09-09-2004, 07:14 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^I hope not^^^^^^^^^^^

TwoHandJam
09-09-2004, 10:17 AM
Is Malone more of a loser than he is an attention whore? Enquiring minds want to know.

Is this guy four years old or what? If you've made a decision, what earthly reason could you have for not making it public at this point?

Fucking stupid attention starved dumbass. I wish he'd just die already.

Jimcs50
09-09-2004, 10:40 AM
He is coming to SA, get used to it.

spurster
09-09-2004, 10:46 AM
Would some other team please sign this jerk?

Jimcs50
09-09-2004, 10:51 AM
spurster...read above post.

2Cleva
09-09-2004, 10:52 AM
It doesn't sound like he's going to SA. And from the looks of it not Minny. I bet he either stay in LA or goes to Miami - no matter what he stays ringless.

There is no truth to the rumor that Timberwolves coach
Flip Saunders and league MVP Kevin Garnett are planning to
fly to California to try to convince NBA veteran Karl Malone
to sign with the Wolves. Garnett is headed to Europe on a
vacation. And Saunders has a commitment to speak here today.
"Malone doesn't even know if he wants to play anymore,"
said Kevin McHale, Wolves vice president of basketball
operations and general manager. "If Malone decides he wants
to play, we would love to try to work something out with
him."

Link (http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/4971319.html)

BigVee
09-09-2004, 11:07 AM
Sounds to me like he IS coming to SA. Quit living in the past. Can't believe you wouldn't rather have him beating on KG, Webber, Martin, etc., than TD in the playoffs. This is the final piece...easily giving the Spurs the best front and back court in the NBA.

ChumpDumper
09-09-2004, 11:07 AM
Sounds like everyone reads what they want to.

Karl said it perfectly though, the Spurs don't necessarily need him to win -- so if we're going on pure need, he won't be a Spur. By the same token, would the Lakers have won last year if they had a decent backup -- say Rose -- to Malone when he went down with an injury?

He didn't say anything in that interview; all the Kreskins out there are projecting.

WriterNum934
09-09-2004, 11:17 AM
"They told me everything they were going to do," he said, "and then they went out and did it. That's how they do business, and that's how I like to do business.

"It is one thing when a team calls that wants you to bring veteran leadership and be that final piece. It is another thing when a team that can win it all without Karl Malone — and the Spurs are that — calls you and says they still want you. That means a lot."

Either he's coming to SA or this guy loves to kiss serious ass.

SAmikeyp
09-09-2004, 11:40 AM
"Karl Malone know what Karl Malone wanna do."

Hooked on phonics never worked for Karl.

Solid D
09-09-2004, 11:47 AM
Kreskins

:lol I haven't heard Kreskin's name in a few years, Chump.

Solid D
09-09-2004, 11:48 AM
http://www.aeispeakers.com/Kreskin-TheAmazing.jpg

Kreskin says: Think what you want...Karl's coming.

Tommy Duncan
09-09-2004, 11:54 AM
The Spurs should sign him just to keep him away from Minnesota. Then again, Karl could teach KG new ways to injure his teammates in practice...

Useruser666
09-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Karl could teach KG new ways to injure his teammates in practice...

KG looks like a dehydrated Karl Malone.

Useruser666 :eyebrow

CosmicCowboyXXX
09-09-2004, 02:56 PM
All you Malone haters need to re-watch tape of last springs Laker/Spurs series...Malones defense (and the refs letting him get away with hand checks/holding/slapping on Tim) was arguably the biggest difference maker of the series...We do not want him going to another playoff contender west or east...

Jimcs50
09-09-2004, 03:00 PM
^^^^what he said.

Tommy Duncan
09-09-2004, 03:01 PM
42 year old Evil with a bum knee > any Slovenian center

Polandprzem
09-09-2004, 03:12 PM
Malone want's a title as a backup?

KoriEllis
09-09-2004, 03:29 PM
I don't get this article.

Malone says he's made his decision but he's not ready to tell what it is (who knows what is holding him back). But then he says if Pop called him, he'd tell him his decision; though he doesn't think Pop would do that to him. Why wouldn't Pop do that to him? Would that be pressuring him into a decision? I thought his decision was already made.

:wtf

It really doesn't make any sense at all. It's one of the weirder articles I've read lately.

Anyway, I don't think he's coming to San Antonio and I don't even know if he's actually healthy.

Either way, he's right about one thing. The Spurs are fine with or without him.

Solid D
09-09-2004, 03:47 PM
True, it's got mixed messages.

Kori, I understood this quote:

'We need to know something today,' out of respect for them I'll give them a decision. But I don't think they'd do it like that."

to mean that Pop has already told him to take his time, get healthy, the Spurs can wait on him well into the season. That's why Karl doesn't think they would need to know something today.

KoriEllis
09-09-2004, 03:51 PM
to mean that Pop has already told him to take his time, get healthy, the Spurs can wait on him well into the season. That's why Karl doesn't think they would need to know something today.

Yeah, I understood it like that too. But if he already knows his decision, then why would it matter?

He says that he knows he's going to be 100% healthy and that he knows his decision on where he'll play.

Then why wouldn't he tell the teams?

How can he think that's not stringing them along?

Solid D
09-09-2004, 03:52 PM
True, mixed signals.

timvp
09-09-2004, 04:54 PM
Is this guy four years old or what? If you've made a decision, what earthly reason could you have for not making it public at this point?

Fucking stupid attention starved dumbass. I wish he'd just die already.

Well said, TwoHandJam. If he signs with the Spurs, fans better be ready for these stunts on a weekly basis. He'll find something to keep his name in the news and keep the halftime specials about him.

This guy is one of the biggest chokers in league history and is all about the spotlight, yet Spurs fans are star struck by the name. He's just a commercial version of Kevin Willis at this point ... but Spurs fans see him as the missing link and are standing in line waiting to offer their left nut for him.

His defense in the playoffs was overrated as hell. Sure he did well, but freaking Samaki Walker shut down Duncan in the playoffs before. Why don't the Spurs go out and get him?

Get a grip Spurs fans, this is Karl Freaking Malone we are talking about. You don't see the Houston Oilers going out and signing Frank Reich. You don't see the Buffalo Sabres going out and signing Brett Hull. You don't see the Boston Red Sox going out and signing Bucky Dent.

Have some dignity for once. The Commercial-Kevin-Willis-Human-Halftime-Special is all hype ... don't buy it.

BigVee
09-09-2004, 06:23 PM
I don't see him as the missing link, more like a guarantee. Living in LA, I have to listen to the Laker talk ad nauseum, but I must say Malone was the only stand up guy on the Lakers last year. No excuses for poor play, no bragging when things went right, etc. I have also hated the guy forever, but I sure would like to see him back there protecting TD rather than Rasho or Horry or whomever. And, I know if you give him the ball on the break he won't close his eyes and clank it off the backboard left-handed ala Hedo.

TastesLikeChicken
09-09-2004, 06:41 PM
Get a grip Spurs fans, this is Karl Freaking Malone we are talking about. You don't see the Houston Oilers going out and signing Frank Reich. You don't see the Buffalo Sabres going out and signing Brett Hull. You don't see the Boston Red Sox going out and signing Bucky Dent.

You don't see the Spurs going out and signing Robert......oh

Pooh
09-09-2004, 06:42 PM
By all means Karl sign here. :) They'll love you! Haha.

Tommy Duncan
09-09-2004, 06:46 PM
If the Spurs didn't have a Slavic center in their starting lineup and a coach predisposed to love/hate the team's best 6th man then I might feel they could pass on Evil.

Like him or not he's still a presence in the paint, something that we didn't see much of in the silver and black last season.

Ruby Ridge
09-09-2004, 07:13 PM
I think he's yanking everyone's chain. He ain't coming here.:next3

ChumpDumper
09-09-2004, 07:36 PM
We're set either way, and we didn't miss out on anyone.

Getting excited or angry is a waste at this point.

timvp
09-09-2004, 07:44 PM
Why didn't the Spurs sign Samaki Walker? He shut down Duncan as well as Malone did last year.

Shiii-i-i-iii-it, where is Horace Grant?

ChumpDumper
09-09-2004, 07:56 PM
If you can find anyone else that can get 12 and 9 for the minimum, let me know.

timvp
09-09-2004, 08:06 PM
12 and 9?

He didn't even do that last year and he played 32+ minutes per game. Even in the playoffs, he didn't reach those numbers when he was playing 38 minutes per. If he comes to San Antonio, he'll be coming off the bench for hopefully no more than 23 minutes a contest.

ChumpDumper
09-09-2004, 08:10 PM
You might want to check the numbers there. I'm allowed to round up .3 boards.

12 and 8 if you want to get snippy.

Hell, 10 and 8.

I simply can't say that any of our backup bigs are better than Karl. In your heart of hearts you can't either.

timvp
09-09-2004, 08:12 PM
How many minutes do you see him playing per game?

Solid D
09-09-2004, 08:15 PM
You don't see the Houston Oilers going out and signing Frank Reich. You don't see the Buffalo Sabres going out and signing Brett Hull. You don't see the Boston Red Sox going out and signing Bucky Dent.

You don't see any Super Bowl rings or World Series rings out of that bunch either.

NY Yankees signed Clemens the former hated Red Sox ace, though. Hmmmm.

ducks
09-09-2004, 08:53 PM
I want mailman but not more then 25 minutes a game until after the all star break anyhow
maybe not more even later
depends if rose plays like a ....

ChumpDumper
09-09-2004, 08:54 PM
Malik and Horry combined for about 31mpg last season. They're will be a few minutes available for warm Karl.

If you could give me a guarantee that those two will be solid all year and in the playoffs, I'd say a Malone signing would be completely superfluous.

You can't so it isn't.

And no, there's no guarantee Karl will be solid (uninjured) either. That's why all the other guys were signed.

Makes sense to me.

SenorSpur
09-09-2004, 11:54 PM
I simply wish the Spurs would "scrap" this idea of kissing Malone's ass. With them resigning Horry and having Rose and Massenberg, they clearly don't need Malone. I'm sick of them courting him and I'm sick of him "acting modestly flattered" by the attention and stringing teams along. GET OVER IT ALREADY.

Tommy Duncan
09-10-2004, 12:38 AM
If the Spurs were putting off signing someone of note then I would be pissed but since that does not appear to be the case then this charade doesn't bother me.

Come to think of it, if the only way Evil joins the Spurs is with him replacing Radosoft in the starting lineup, well no complaints here.

:)

E20
09-11-2004, 02:07 AM
TommyDuncan, his name is Radoslav or his nick Rasho. :smokin

Rick Von Braun
09-12-2004, 01:27 PM
OK... so... is the Evil coming or not? I am sick of so much speculation.

1elrey
09-13-2004, 03:44 AM
I sure hope that Malone will sign for the Spurs, because you can be 100% sure that

1. from the first play he will be on the same page with T.D, T.P, M.G and Pop

2. he will do exactly what coach wants him to do. Mailman has a team player mentality and he is willing to do whatever it takes for his team to win

3. Mailman is a great passer and would feed Tim, Tony, Manu and Brent for easy baskets (he knows how to pick and roll, hell it is almost that he and John invented it!!)

4. he is a great help defender and with Timmy they really would control the paint

5.he is a good midrange shooter

6. Any team in NBA would take him if the could. And the Spurs will, if they can

tekdragon
09-13-2004, 02:13 PM
He's just a commercial version of Kevin Willis at this point

timvp? come on, man...comparing Malone to Kevin Willis, Samaki Walker, and Horace Grant?

Man, I'm sorry, but that is weak. That's nothing but hate.

Hate him on a personal level all you want, but you have to give the man respect for what he's done on the court.

You don't back into the all-time scoring title. You earn it.

You don't back into becoming the best at your position in the history of the game. You earn that, too.

I don't like him either, but comparing him to the likes of KW, Walker, and Ho Grant is a total affront to your impartiality as a basketball analyst.

Hate him as a person all you want. I do. But as a journalist and as a well respected basketball analyst, you do yourself an injustice by diminishing his on-court abilities and his basketball IQ.

You're better than that, and, as much as I hate to say it, so is he.

As a true fan and a journalist, you shouldn't let your personal feelings overshadow the good of the team, the best business decision, or the best basketball decision. It should be about winning rings. If having him on the team won't help us win it, not having him against us definitely will.

Herdbehavior
09-13-2004, 02:50 PM
I hate Malone and do not want him in SA.

But if Tim never played again....

Karl would be the best 4 that ever played.

I think Tim will play again....and will eventually separate from Karl's legacy.

KoriEllis
09-13-2004, 02:58 PM
A lot of people are giving Malone credit for his on the court performances of the past -- which is great. But why are people so sure that he's healthy or going to be healthy this season?

He only played 42 games last season and had a knee surgery that was supposedly only going to have him out a couple months. But now it's been speculated that he won't be ready until December or January. Why is everyone so sure that he will be physically able to contribute anything?

ChumpDumper
09-13-2004, 03:15 PM
His being able to play at last year's level is an "if" to be sure -- but we haven't missed out on any FAs, would only be out $600k at most and would still have a fairly deep frontline without him.

No downside.

Unfortunately there's no guarantee any of our backup bigs are going to play well, so what's the harm in adding one more guy who could end up being better than all of them?

KoriEllis
09-13-2004, 03:25 PM
I'm not saying that they shouldn't bring him in.

But I think it's funny that a lot of people refer to his past glory and think that's what he's going to contribute now.

If he averaged 12 and 8 last season for the Lakers playing 32 mpg but missed half the season, then I'm not sure how much he'd contribute to the Spurs this year.

He probably wouldn't see more than 20 mpg even if healthy. So what would he give the team 6 and 4? Doesn't just about anybody else the Spurs have (Malik, Horry, Massenburg, Marks) give 6 and 4 if they played 20 minutes?

I think that's why some people don't see the possible Malone acquistion as that big of deal one way or another. Getting the "greatest power forward of all-time" probably doesn't mean much when he's past his prime or not healthy.

Nikos
09-13-2004, 03:31 PM
If he is healthy he can contribute reasonably well in 20-25mpg.

13/9/4 in 33mpg were his stats as of last season. Unless his physical state declines rapidly this year, he could probably give 7ppg 5rpg 2apg in 20mpg.

Those would be pretty decent numbers considering he brings rebounding, passing, solid D, and an efficient offensive presense.

But thats assuming hes close to as healthy as last season (pre-injury).

KoriEllis
09-13-2004, 03:35 PM
Thanks for clarifying the numbers, I didn't look anything up.

But that's kind of my point, the IF he's healthy is a huge IF.

I still don't think he'd get 25 mpg on the Spurs even if he were healthy. I know some people think he would start and play 35 mpg and Tim would play center. I don't think the Spurs are planning on trading Rasho and Horry/Malik. But anything is possible.

tekdragon
09-13-2004, 03:37 PM
Personally, I believe in his basketball character. I can't say that he won't get hurt, and neither can he. But when the man says he'll be physically ready for the season, how can you not believe him? He's proven for 20 years that when he steps on the court, he's physically ready. No one prepares during the offseason like Malone. No one. He didn't get hurt because he wasn't physically ready or because he was lazy in the offseason or had nagging injuries. He got landed on, and that would have injured anyone. He has no history of injuries, because of his offseason physical and mental preparation. Compare the number of games he missed last season to the number of games he missed over the remainder of his career. He doesn't get injured easily because he prepares his body for the NBA season. When the man says he won't come back unless he's "100 Karl Malone percent", what in his history gives you any reason to doubt that he will do it? How many times has he come into the season unprepared, out of shape, or otherwise not ready in any way? The man's character is unquestionable. What could possibly give you the impression that the man would lie about his ability to play or his physical preparation? For 20 years he's been the league's hardest worker in the offseason, he's been the league's most reliable Iron Man. If there's anyone in the league who's health you could rely on, it was Karl Malone. Yes, he's had his first injury in 20 years, but for 20 years he's said he'd be ready when he stepped on the court and for 20 years he's been ready. Our character is judged by our history of keeping our word, of keeping our commitments. What has Karl Malone ever done to make you doubt his character? If anyone's earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to physical preparation, it's Karl Malone. "100 Karl Malone percent" is good enough for me. "100 Karl Malone percent" is a state of physical conditioning light years beyond 90% of the rest of the league's standard of preparation. Most players are in "basketball shape" 20 or 30 games into the season. Karl Malone is in basketball shape for the first game of the pre-season, and has been for and entire career, without taking a single off-season off. That's the kind of work ethic you can rely on. That's true basketball character, and if there's anything the Spurs organization represents, it's character. He's a perfect fit. And, just in case his first injury in 20 years becomes a nagging injury, what better place for him to be utilized most effectively than in a situation where we don't really need him for more than a handful of minutes a game. If he was on a team that needed him for 25 minutes a game for 82 games, I'd be worried about his ability to produce in the playoffs. Playing on a team like the Spurs would further reduce his risk of injury because we wouldn't need him for extended minutes, resulting in less wear-and-tear on a body that was built and maintained to withstand (and distribute) punishment. How can you not want those elbows on your side? At least that way they're not aimed at Tim.

I'll also say that if he only provides 6 & 4, the intangibles he provides on the court and in the locker room will affect the team far more than the 6 & 4 Malik provides.

KoriEllis
09-13-2004, 03:37 PM
he could probably give 7ppg 5rpg 2apg in 20mpg.

Just a note.
Horry contributed 6.1 ppg and 6.3 rpg in 21mpg last season during the playoffs. He had 4.8 and 3.4 in 16mpg in the regular season.

KoriEllis
09-13-2004, 03:41 PM
tekdragon,

I believe the opposite of you regarding the injury.

I think that his age has finally caught up with him and he'll be injury plagued from here on out.

It was originally speculated that he should be ready by October. Some are saying maybe it's December or January.

I understand what a healthy specimen he has been throughout his career. But there is definitely a time when a player starts breaking down. Has that time arrived for Karl Malone? We don't know as of yet.

KoriEllis
09-13-2004, 03:45 PM
But for the record, I don't care one way or another if he comes here or not. I don't think he can be a detriment to the team, and I don't think he'll be a huge asset.

But one thing that does bug me is that Malone says that he knows where he is going to play next season, but says he's not ready to disclose it yet. That statement is pure drama queen. And I hate that crap from basketball players.

tekdragon
09-13-2004, 03:51 PM
I love this place... :lol

ChumpDumper
09-13-2004, 04:49 PM
If I thought any of Horry/Massenburg/Rose/Marks even had the potential of putting up 30 and 13 against the Rockets in a playoff game, for example, I wouldn't give Malone a second thought.

Getting Malone would be gravy to a pretty solid offseason.

Useruser666
09-13-2004, 06:24 PM
Kori,

I understand the injury worry, but I really feel the Lakers took the hit on Malone last year. His leg may have blown out do to age, although I think it was more accidental than anything. I don't think Malone would come back if he didn't feel he could play as well as last year. You must also take into consideration that a lot of the games he played last season were in recovery and may or may not give adequate indication on how he will perform if 100% (his stated level). It's not like we're trading for Grant Hill or something! :lol :lol

TastesLikeChicken
09-13-2004, 06:36 PM
Didn't Malone just enroll his kids in an LA school a couple days ago?

That should give you your answer on where he's going.

ducks
09-13-2004, 06:45 PM
dude his kidds could stay in la and he could go to texas
it is like just one year

TastesLikeChicken
09-13-2004, 06:55 PM
dude his kidds could stay in la and he could go to texas

That might make sense if he didn't already have a summer home in San Antonio.

ChumpDumper
09-13-2004, 07:06 PM
Makes sense if that's where he wants to live.

Should they just stay at home til training camp?

TastesLikeChicken
09-13-2004, 07:10 PM
If his kids prefered LA they would have been enrolled 2 months ago, and not waited untill after he made up his mind on where he was playing.

ChumpDumper
09-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Says who? Maybe they were just out of town.

Show me the exact date Malone made up his mind.

TastesLikeChicken
09-13-2004, 07:15 PM
About three days ago when he said "I've made up my mind"

Also about the time his kids were enrolled.

ducks
09-13-2004, 07:16 PM
maybe his kids wanted him to go to the heat
and play on their beaches but now with the hurricanes they do not want to go there
and his kidds do not like the beaches of texas over the beaches of la

and mailman will not even be in texas half the time next year so they will stay in la

TastesLikeChicken
09-13-2004, 07:19 PM
Yes I'm sure beach playing played a huge factor in the decision. I thought that went without saying.

ChumpDumper
09-13-2004, 07:21 PM
About three days ago when he said "I've made up my mind"

Also about the time his kids were enrolled.I'm not asking when YOU knew.

TastesLikeChicken
09-13-2004, 07:23 PM
That's when he made it public that his decision was made.

If you would like it narrowed down to the second you'll have to e-mail Karl.

ChumpDumper
09-13-2004, 07:26 PM
Exactly.

You have no idea.

TastesLikeChicken
09-13-2004, 07:31 PM
Gotta love message boards

You post a prediction and people feel the need to try and prove it wrong. It's a prediction, it can't be wrong until he signs a contract.

I say he'll be in LA, we'll find out soon enough.

ChumpDumper
09-13-2004, 07:33 PM
Might, might not.

Nice backtrack.

ReverendRobG
09-13-2004, 07:35 PM
It wouldn't be a terribly different situation for Malone's kids. His wife is from San Antonio so I would imagine they still have some family in the area. I didn't know about the summer house here but her ties to San Antonio are probably a big part of that. Family and a home in San Antonio helps ease any transition that would normally be very disruptive.

Spurminator
09-14-2004, 12:06 AM
Malone isn't coming. He's using the Spurs as a negotiating tool.

If we had more than the minimum, I'd believe that he was waiting to talk contract with the Spurs, but he knows what they have to offer. There would be no need to put off disclosing his decision if he had decided to join the Spurs, because he only has two options: Take the minimum, or don't play for SA.

It'd be nice to have him, but I'm over it.

SequSpur
09-14-2004, 01:33 AM
Negotiating tool?

Bro, we don't have any fucking money to give him. The whole world knows that. How in the **** is that negotiating?

Its quite simple, if he wants to play here, he will. if he doesn't, then he doesn't. Woopty ding dong do.

The 82 game season must be played.

The Spurs will never win a Championship with Rasho as the starting center anyway, so WTF does it matter?

The Spurs STILL have not addressed their weaknesses from last year's post season. STILL.

Pop keeps fucking around with foreigners instead of doing a deal for a veteran backup point guard and center.

The Spurs are going to get killed by Detroit, Miami, Sacramento and Minnesota.

Spurminator
09-14-2004, 01:37 AM
Negotiating tool?

Bro, we don't have any fucking money to give him. The whole world knows that. How in the **** is that negotiating?

Bro, we're not the only team in the league.

It's a scare tactic to get LA or Miami to pay up.

Think. And read.

SequSpur
09-14-2004, 01:42 AM
Them paying malone and extra grand here and there has no effect on the Spurs.

The Spurs are over the cap. Plus the Spurs have a full roster.

How is that negotiating?

The ball is in Malone's court. He don't care about a big deal. He is 40. He is essentially done.

Spurminator
09-14-2004, 01:50 AM
HE IS NOT NEGOTIATING WITH THE SPURS.

If he can convince LA or Miami or Minnesota that he is considering joining the Spurs for the minimum, they will be more willing to pay him to keep him away from us.

The Spurs do have a roster spot open for him and have made that clear many times.

What I am saying (and what you likely agree with, except that you are doing your nightly bitching schtick or you are not reading) is that if he had "made his decision" as he says he has, and if that decision was to join the Spurs, there would be no reason to wait any further because there are no terms to negotiate. It's minimum or nothing.

tekdragon
09-14-2004, 10:33 AM
Pop keeps fucking around with foreigners instead of doing a deal for a veteran backup point guard and center.

foreigners? uh...dude...our starting point guard is a foreigner. Manu's a foreigner. So's Peja, Dirk, and speaking of centers...how about Yao? Hakeem was a freaking foreigner. No way we'll win a championship with one of those guys...

Yeah, Pop's really stupid for "fucking around with foreigners"...

Tim is a foreigner, dumbass.

Pop's really an idiot. There were plenty of Americans in that draft...

What can those "foreigners" do, anyway? All they do is shoot. And who needs that crap? He needs to stop fucking around with foreigners and get some of these hot domestic prospects.

:shootme

2Cleva
09-14-2004, 11:01 AM
Not much of a negotiating tool since no one can pay him more than the minimum/LLE and all would happily sign him to as many years as he wants at that price.

Spurminator
09-14-2004, 12:14 PM
no one can pay him more than the minimum/LLE

No one?

2Cleva
09-14-2004, 12:56 PM
No one out of the teams he's reportedly interested in.

Who knows, he could go to Indy for the MLE.

Useruser666
09-14-2004, 01:04 PM
I think Malone is just trying to see what he can get. It's not entirely a dumb idea. There are many outside factors for him to come to SA and for him not to come. Just because teams are at or over the cap doesn't mean they won't pay more. Maybe Malone wants to come to the Spurs if he just doesn't get an acceptably larger offer. Who knows at this point. I think if he comes here it will not be a negative in any way.

Man in Black1
09-14-2004, 08:52 PM
Not much of a negotiating tool since no one can pay him more than the minimum/LLE

What part of that did you not get Triple 6?

The Lakers can pay him just a tiny bit more since he played with them the season before. It's not like what you say at all.

Any team that is at the cap or a bit over can only offer him the minimum LLE. If you are way under, then he can earn more money. I'm of the opinion that Malone doesn't want more cash from the likes of Atlanta.If you are over the cap, then you pay a dollar-for-dollar tax.
So it's more fiscally prudent to just pay him that min contract. If you think about it, his value, even in limited minutes, exceeds the value of his contract. That is the sole reason that Laker fans are clamoring for him. There is no better player at that price and Laker fans are saying that LA is more important than a title. They could be right. We'll what Karl has to say about it.