PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Draft Priority for next season.

xellos88330
04-25-2011, 09:19 PM
What are your opinions on what type of players the Spurs should attempt to draft?

timtonymanu
04-25-2011, 09:23 PM
Any player that's tough. This nice guy act (Bonner, RJ, Hill) has made us so soft.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-25-2011, 09:25 PM
It won't matter, Pop won't play them when it counts anyway, there's no way they can acquire enough 'corporate knowledge' by the playoffs.

We'll still be treated to Dice, Jefferson, and Blair when it counts.

jeebus
04-25-2011, 09:25 PM
Definitely size. We only had on SF and that was RJ, who disappeared after December. The team will be nuked this summer.

Daddy
04-25-2011, 09:27 PM
We can't afford to stash anymore. Lets draft a kid with alot of upside and hope for the best. This draft sucks.

20beastie45
04-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Someone that is bigger than 6 4

I have a feeling that Blair, Hill and RJ are going to be gone next season.

Neal, Bonner may be gone as well....

The real problem is Duncan.......FOR GOD SAKES DUNCAN OPT OUT YOUR CONTRACT TAKE LESS MONEY CAUSE YOUR CLEARLY NOT WORTH THAT MUCH ANYMORE.....AND GET A POST SCORER...

Spurs Brazil
04-25-2011, 09:29 PM
This team is done. We need 6 or 7 tough players instead of the weak Bonner/Hill/Jefferson supporting cast

Mal
04-25-2011, 09:34 PM
What are your opinions on what type of players the Spurs should attempt to draft?

Another hall of famer and franchise player in one. :lol

Roger Freemason Jr.
04-25-2011, 09:51 PM
I'm sick of the "classy" bullshit man. Forget that shit, we need tough tenacious players who aren't afraid to get nasty, we need defenders, we need agitators, we need players who dunk the ball hard and yell at the top of their lungs when successful. The Spurs are an old kind english gentleman amongst a league of warriors.

IronMaxipad
04-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Need more 3pt shooters

EIC
04-25-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm sick of the "classy" bullshit man. Forget that shit, we need tough tenacious players who aren't afraid to get nasty, we need defenders, we need agitators, we need players who dunk the ball hard and yell at the top of their lungs when successful. The Spurs are an old kind english gentleman amongst a league of warriors.

redskinfan
04-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Draft a new coach ours has

beachwood
04-25-2011, 10:15 PM
A point guard and a big man.

baseline bum
04-25-2011, 10:20 PM
One that can make the roster, which is going to be pretty tough with how hideous this draft is.

SenorSpur
04-25-2011, 10:26 PM
Unless a lockdown, defensive-minded SF is on the board (a la Chris Singleton), then they MUST go with size. They need to spend their pick on the best low-post player that is left on the board @ #29.

Das Texan
04-25-2011, 10:33 PM
One that can make the roster, which is going to be pretty tough with how hideous this draft is.

Maybe the Spurs can draft a time machine, go back and bring back Bruce Bowen and David Robinson in their primes, or close to it.

timtonymanu
04-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Unless a lockdown, defensive-minded SF is on the board (a la Chris Singleton), then they MUST go with size. They need to spend their pick on the best low-post player that is left on the board @ #29.

I would package both Hill and Blair for the Spurs to get a higher draft pick.

Harry Callahan
04-25-2011, 10:35 PM
This is a complete rebuild at this point. It may be 2-3 years to get this going upward again.

Major changes are coming soon, but not without A LOT of pain.

Chomag
04-25-2011, 10:41 PM

Sounds good, but you know Pop would have shit fit with a player if he did this. Remember when he yelled at Blair for dunking and doing that last season? Pop called it showboating

baseline bum
04-25-2011, 10:43 PM
This is a complete rebuild at this point. It may be 2-3 years to get this going upward again.

Major changes are coming soon, but not without A LOT of pain.

Yeah, and it HAS to happen next season. The Spurs absolutely have to be in the lottery to get in on this draft class for next year. Davis, Rivers, Barnes, Sullinger, Gilchrist, McAdoo, Teague, Kabongo, Jones III, maybe even Miller... they have to find a way to get a top 10 pick. If the Spurs win more than 30 games next season it's going to be really bad.

SenorSpur
04-25-2011, 10:56 PM

Sounds good. This pending rebuild will require some bold, but drastic steps. This would be a good step.

Also, it's time for a philosophy shift. The Spurs have still been getting outquicked and outhustled by quicker defensive teams. Heck, they can't even bend over to retrieve loose balls or scrap for those 50-50 plays.

That said, the FO needs to invest in higher-skilled, athletic players, with length, which fit their system. Instead of the shorter, slower, unathletic types they've fancied in the past.

outmap
04-25-2011, 11:24 PM
Unless they get Singleton or Honeycutt, I'd rather they package the pick on a trade with Blair and Jefferson.

stnick2261
04-25-2011, 11:25 PM

I wouldn't do that for this weak draft..... but this summer's weak draft will be followed by 2012 strong draft.... I'd do anything to move up in that draft

ElNono
04-25-2011, 11:27 PM
Whatever the Toros need...

Most likely another 6'2 shooting guard that spaces the floor and will need to get over himself while playing overseas...

Doe
04-25-2011, 11:31 PM
Whatever the Toros need...

Most likely another 6'2 shooting guard that spaces the floor and will need to get over himself while playing overseas...

I wonder what Jack McClinton is up to these days..

stealthjbravo
04-25-2011, 11:33 PM
We need this guy:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XAePxwGya7E/R--GUtvmDPI/AAAAAAAAA_0/BGwoiqMbUuQ/s400/alleniverson1.jpg

MaNu4Tres
04-25-2011, 11:34 PM
Package the pick with Jefferson, Blair, McDyess' expiring for Kaman (his contract year) and Gomes. :downspin:

tdunk21
04-25-2011, 11:36 PM
1) draft a shotblocking center with good wingspan and atleast 7 ft tall.....
2) trade RJ
3) draft a defensive SF

ElNono
04-25-2011, 11:36 PM
Get the softies out... I know, easier said than done.

This team hasn't reacted well to physicality since Bowen and Oberto walked out of that door... It got worse with Tim and Manu's decline...

timtonymanu
04-25-2011, 11:41 PM
I wonder what Jack McClinton is up to these days..

It sucks. We could have had Wesley Matthews or Patrick Mills. Instead we took this guy and he turned out to be a scrub.

IknowU
04-25-2011, 11:48 PM
Why should we have to draft a center in such a weak draft class?

Cant we just use Ryan Richards? Hes got all the tools to be developed.

We should be looking for a defensive SF or F like Gerald Wallace, Artest etc.

SenorSpur
04-26-2011, 03:58 AM
Unless they get Singleton or Honeycutt, I'd rather they package the pick on a trade with Blair and Jefferson.

I'm with that.

I expect big changes this offseason. A roster overhaul appears to be looming. There's absolutely no reason to retain RJ, Parker and Bonner. Hill and Blair could also become trade fodder. Stockpiling younger players and picks should be the new order of the day.

spursbird
04-26-2011, 04:12 AM
No one would want RJ's contract except maybe the Timberwolves or the Magic?

eric365
04-26-2011, 04:21 AM
It depends on what pop want to do next year.
Does he consider to develop Splitter and Anderson for at least 15 min per game ? Or consider them not ready yet ?

If he plan to develop them, draft a long defensiv SF. If not draft the very long brazilian :
http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_brazilian_prospect_nba_draft_042311

It's over for next year anyway. At least make a new oversea project that we could talk for hours :)

yavozerb
04-26-2011, 07:01 AM
At #29 priorities are out the window...

2Cleva
04-26-2011, 07:43 AM
The draft or minor moves aren't getting the Spurs a championship.

Better long term to bite the bullet and get best value possible for Parker, Ginobili, and if he agrees - Duncan and restock the shelves for the future.

LA did the same thing when they dealt Shaq. They had Kobe at a young age for the transition though. SA has no such young core piece.

objective
04-26-2011, 08:01 AM
His contract is not bad, hes a bad fit for our team period. I doubt orlando wants him but phx might. NY and NJ are possible landing spots, as NY goes to the run and gun.

Tor needs a SF, so do the Clips. He has value in the right system.

unfortunately, his contract is bad. Real bad.

PHX wouldn't want anything to do with RJ. Pietrus has announced he's picking up his option if I understood PHX media reports correctly. AND they still have Childress and Dudley under contract for at least the next 3 years and beyond. PLUS they just went through watching Carter slide into oblivion. They won't want anything to do with Jefferson.

NY has small forwards, including Melo. They won't want anything to do with him either. Even if they did, the only way they could match salaries would be with sending Billups and taking back players like Hill or Bonner.

NJ doesn't want anything to do with RJ. The whole reason he opted out was to get more money from NJ with SA as his fallback. They decided to waste money on players like Outlaw instead. If they had wanted him, they would have had him.

The only interest Toronto would have in him is if A. they've lost their minds, which is possible or B. they want to get rid of Calderon badly enough to take on an extra year of RJ's trash. I guess they could do it to get Hill. And Calderon would be a decent back-up to Parker whose terrible defense would probably make him a favorite of New-Pop (post 2008 Bowen benching).

As far as LAC : Aminu >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jefferson.

----

Jefferson has NO value. Actually, he has NEGATIVE value. He is a past his prime, athletically backsliding, passive, unclutch, overpaid shell of a reputation.

Except his 3 pt%, every big playoff stat is worse than last year, and that was hard to accomplish. Even his 3pt shot didn't hit when it counted.

Plus his lackluster defense. Plus his softness. Plus everything else you imagine.

----

The most likely way to see Jefferson off this team is if the new CBA has another "Allan Houston" rule in effect and Holt bites the bullet and cuts him.

elemento
04-26-2011, 08:27 AM
that's the problem with Jefferson and Bonner contracts. Nobody in the league wants them.

Now we're stuck with them and can't rebuild.

We made a huge mistake by giving Jefferson and Bonner those contracts.

a past-prime Jefferson for 3y/30m ? A scrub that should be making the minimum making 3m/year ?

They have negative value. The only team i see giving RJ a chance is the Nets, but we would have to take Outlaw's contract back. And that's not gonna happen.

SenorSpur
04-26-2011, 09:32 AM
The draft or minor moves aren't getting the Spurs a championship.

Better long term to bite the bullet and get best value possible for Parker, Ginobili, and if he agrees - Duncan and restock the shelves for the future.

LA did the same thing when they dealt Shaq. They had Kobe at a young age for the transition though. SA has no such young core piece.

Championship? That window has now closed.

It's time to start stockpiling assets and begin the rebuilding process.