PDA

View Full Version : Biggest choke job in playoff history?

ChrisRichards
04-25-2011, 09:23 PM
2011 Spurs vs Grizzlies
2011 Lakers vs Hornets*
2007 Mavs vs Warriors
1994 Sonics vs Nuggets

*pending

Reck
04-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Nope.

This isn't a choke job.

To start, the Spurs weren't in control of the series from game 1 so I dont see what they choked.

After the regular season ends, its a whole new season.

They did get beatdown by an 8th seed badly.

LnGrrrR
04-25-2011, 09:29 PM
There's some more important historical collapses. There's not enough on the line in the first round to be considered epically chokeworthy.

Holden_Caulfield
04-25-2011, 09:33 PM
biggest chokejob is the 2-0 lead by dallas. this should make top 5

Frenzy
04-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Funny how no one expected the spurs to be in the playoffs...when they made number one still no one expected them to do anything...now its a choke?

I would think it's a choke to most spurs fans ...to the media not so much.

lurker
04-25-2011, 09:34 PM
I don't see losing to a team that's had your number as choking.

IronMexican
04-25-2011, 09:34 PM
Really don't even see it as much of an upset if Memphis does win. If LA lost to New Orleans, worse than the Mavs vs GSW.

ElNono
04-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Definitely would mark the end of an era... haven't hit this low since '01, really...

LnGrrrR
04-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Really don't even see it as much of an upset if Memphis does win. If LA lost to New Orleans, worse than the Mavs vs GSW.

It'd be close, mainly because Lakers brought back all the same parts, had a good record, and are chasing history. But losing in the Finals after being up 2 games is pretty devastating.

Edit: Oops, was thinking Mavs vs Heat. I think that's a bigger choke.

IronMexican
04-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Definitely would mark the end of an era... haven't hit this low since '01, really...

Honestly, what were you guys expecting? There's a reason that even when you guys were playing great, no one was buying it. Everyone knew. Of course, so many gnsf got mad.

ChrisRichards
04-25-2011, 09:40 PM
I still think Dallas vs Warriors is not that much of a choke job. IIRC, the Warriors owned the Mavs in the regular season. What's the Spurs record vs the Grizzlies this year?

Added a new series there. Dallas vs Miami 2006 lol

ElNono
04-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Honestly, what were you guys expecting? There's a reason that even when you guys were playing great, no one was buying it. Everyone knew. Of course, so many gnsf got mad.

Ehhh... we knew going in we were playing the 3 point lottery... it's still a tough hit when you lose...

I understand DOK completely now... :lol

history2b
04-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Probably not the biggest in history since no one outside of SA took the Spurs serious as contenders anyway.

mFFL03
04-25-2011, 09:48 PM
nope this is up there

midnightpulp
04-25-2011, 09:51 PM
Lakers blowing a 24 point lead at home in the Finals is still the biggest chokejob I've personally witnessed.

Dallas against Miami is up there.

I don't really consider Dallas losing to Golden State as a choke, since everyone knew going into that series the Warriors were a tough matchup for the Mavs.

TheMACHINE
04-25-2011, 09:51 PM
Spurs vs memphis isnt a choke job. Noone was scared of the Spurs. In fact, teams were trying to tank to go against them. LOL.

Come on now..how can you be scared of a team with an old Duncan and a bunch of scrubs.

LOL..No Rudy Gay, no problem.

ElNono
04-25-2011, 09:53 PM
From the Spurs side, probably is... at least most depressing in a long time...

ChrisRichards
04-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Lakers blowing a 24 point lead at home in the Finals is still the biggest chokejob I've personally witnessed.

QFT. man how could I miss that. Yeah that was pretty hilarious. Lakers fans at the bar were getting rowdy by the end of halftime. I remember when Ray Allen crossed Vujacic the whole place got pretty quiet :lol

Spurs vs memphis isnt a choke job. Noone was scared of the Spurs. In fact, teams were trying to tank to go against them. LOL.

Come on now..how can you be scared of a team with an old Duncan and a bunch of scrubs.

LOL..No Rudy Gay, no problem.
A lot of people actually believed the Spurs will not beat Dallas and the Lakers but no one expected them to bow down quite easily against the Grizzlies.

TheMACHINE
04-25-2011, 10:02 PM
lol...24 point choke job was bad, but it was against a great team. A team that became the champion. If your saying that #8 memphis grizzlies is a championship team, then maybe we can cross the spurs chokejob off the list.

midnightpulp
04-25-2011, 10:04 PM
lol...24 point choke job was bad, but it was against a great team. A team that became the champion. If your saying that #8 memphis grizzlies is a championship team, then maybe we can cross the spurs chokejob off the list.

You just said it wasn't a chokejob.

Pick a lane.

da_suns_fan
04-25-2011, 10:09 PM
2011 Spurs vs Grizzlies
2011 Lakers vs Hornets*
2007 Mavs vs Warriors
1994 Sonics vs Nuggets

*pending

That was only five games and thus understandable.

I didnt think the Spurs were NEARLY as good as their record indicated this year. Kudos to Popovic for the awesome first half of the season but its still the same roseter the Suns swept last year.

And the Spurs could totally still win the series. If they win game 5 (which they should) then they just have to win game 6 on the road.

I'm not even sure 07 Mavs was as big of a choke as 06 Mavs against the Heat. Sorry Mavs fans, thats just my opinion.

mFFL03
04-25-2011, 10:10 PM
LoL people were tanking teams just to play the Spurs, I'm so f'ing sure.

BLEACHER REPORT: NBA Playoffs 2011: San Antonio Spurs Next Texas Team to Make Infamous History

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/678409-san-antonio-meltdown-spurs-next-texas-team-to-make-infamous-history

Four years ago, the Dallas Mavericks made infamous NBA history by becoming the first team to lose in the first round as a number one seed. The Mavericks lost to the Golden State Warriors in six games.

This year the San Antonio Spurs are facing the same dilemma. Believe it or not, there are plenty of similarities between these two series.

In 2007, the Dallas Mavericks were also down 1-3 to the Golden State Warriors. Dallas was able to win Game 5 in dramatic fashion but eventually lost in a blowout in Game 6.

The main problem for the Dallas Mavericks was that even though they were the best team in the league, they did not have favorable matchups against the Warriors.

The young and athletic Warriors team lead by Baron Davis and Stephen Jackson was able to exploit the few weaknesses the Mavericks had at the time.

Now, the young and athletic Grizzlies are doing the same against the Spurs.

The San Antonio Spurs had the best record in the league up until the last regular season game, when they lost the best record to the Chicago Bulls. Coming into the playoffs, they were considered the team to beat by many, even after finishing the season with subpar performances.

On paper, the Spurs are the better team. The problem is that their weakness is a lack of inside defenders and capable big men overall. Unfortunately, that's the Memphis Grizzlies’ biggest strength. ........ click on link for full article