PDA

View Full Version : The patient is in the hospital...

Obstructed_View
04-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Please refrain from speaking of him in the past tense.

Twin towers, folks.

A chance to make history.

Those of you that know how pessimistic I've been the last, five years or so, should realize what this turn of events means.

The Spurs' chances of winning ring number five just got better than they've been all season.

Believe

fusionjazzman72
04-25-2011, 10:25 PM
Please explain

ElNono
04-25-2011, 10:26 PM
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090804000748/wikiality/images/thumb/6/6a/NotSureIfSerious.jpg/300px-NotSureIfSerious.jpg

http://foodcourtlunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/matt_bonner-arton20875-240x2401.jpg

stealthjbravo
04-25-2011, 10:26 PM
Its over

John Basedow
04-25-2011, 10:28 PM
I actually agree with the OP (somewhat). The Spurs are still capable of winning this series...as for the rest of their road, too little too late with the integration of Splitter.

Obstructed_View
Spurs in seven.

rayray2k8
I think he means that Spurs fans need to nut up and be piss drunk for game 5 and let it all hang out..
Our guys need us spurs fans and San Antonio to support our team that is in desperate need.

Marcus Bryant
04-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Yeah, but you have to overcome an entire season of not only not playing him in the rotation, but also placing defense on the back burner.

The only scenario I see is something on the order of the Spurs making a final stand in game 5 and forcing the series back to Memphis were a young team chokes again in a close out game. Not unheard of, of course. But the odds are against at this point.

rayray2k8
04-25-2011, 10:30 PM
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090804000748/wikiality/images/thumb/6/6a/NotSureIfSerious.jpg/300px-NotSureIfSerious.jpg

http://foodcourtlunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/matt_bonner-arton20875-240x2401.jpg

Weren't you one of the biggest Bonner defenders before??
Explain yourself!!

L.I.T
04-25-2011, 10:31 PM
Moving Splitter into the SL could work, if he and TD get some sort of defensive rhythm going.

I am much more concerned with the backcourt and their inability to even execute simple offensive plays.

Obstructed_View
04-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Yeah, but you have to overcome an entire season of not only not playing him in the rotation, but also placing defense on the back burner.

The only scenario I see is something on the order of the Spurs making a final stand in game 5 and forcing the series back to Memphis were a young team chokes again in a close out game. Not unheard of, of course. But the odds are against at this point.

They have a chance to put it together at home and turn it all around.

Mugen
04-25-2011, 10:35 PM
It ain't over til it's over.

But Pop will quit way before then.

Splits
04-25-2011, 10:36 PM
I have to agree with OP OV. I mean, 3-1 deficit sounds like it is insurmountable, but we have the next game at home which we should re-blow them out and then it comes down to game 6 on the road, where we've failed miserably in our first two chances but that game is all it boils down to if we take care of homecourt (35-7). Plus, Splitter should now see all of Blair's minutes, and if the Big 3 can put together 3 straight good games, coming back is not out of the question. Oh, and TP quit TURNING THE BALL OVER

xellos88330
04-25-2011, 10:37 PM
It is hard to believe in this team anymore.

Tim Duncan's birthday, down 2-1, on the road against a team that TANKED to get you, then proceed to get blown out?

The Spurs need to give the fans a REASON to believe. They have been completely outplayed at EVERY position. The Spurs are literally dropping these games by not being able to put a pass on target, or catching the damn ball after the pass is made. Then leaving scrubs wide open for routine practice shots. They are not pressuring the ball or passing lanes, and just don't look like they are winners out there.

The real question is, what reasons have I been given that would warrant me to believe that this team can overcome the pressure of being eliminated when they can't even overcome the pressure of being down 2-1 on an opponents home court? The series isn't over? That just won't do it.

I will sure as hell cheer my ass off for them, they better show that they deserve it.

8FOR!3
04-25-2011, 10:37 PM
It ain't over til it's over.

But Pop will quit way before then.

Good thing Pop's not going to play. I don't care if it's fucking Steve Novak and Chris Quinn out there, if you're wearing Spurs colors you better sure as fuck show up to win Wednesday night.

Marcus Bryant
04-25-2011, 10:39 PM
They have a chance to put it together at home and turn it all around.

Kind of like cramming an entire semester into an all-nighter before a final?

Sure. Perhaps.

What I can see is a young Memphis team playing loose in game 5 but assuming that if it goes to a game 6 they got it so they let up.

But then you are assuming a vintage Spurs must-win road game performance in game 6. That team isn't here anymore, imo.

Marcus Bryant
04-25-2011, 10:41 PM
If anything, after tonight Pop will cut back Splitter's minutes, if not put him back in the doghouse for good.

TampaDude
04-25-2011, 10:42 PM
It's fucking over...

beirmeistr
04-25-2011, 10:45 PM
The patient is on the waiting list for a heart transplant because they are suffering from heart failure.

ElNono
04-25-2011, 10:47 PM
Weren't you one of the biggest Bonner defenders before??
Explain yourself!!

Wha? :lol

Harry Callahan
04-25-2011, 10:48 PM
Kind of like cramming an entire semester into an all-nighter before a final?

Sure. Perhaps.

What I can see is a young Memphis team playing loose in game 5 but assuming that if it goes to a game 6 they got it so they let up.

But then you are assuming a vintage Spurs must-win road game performance in game 6. That team isn't here anymore, imo.

I have been amazed at the volume of uncontested shots this team routinely gives up now. I think POP was trying to give this team the best chance to win games this year and it worked great in the RS. The defensive inadequacies on this team are too numerous to detail here. They just can stop anybody.

That 3rd quarter tonight was a disaster start to finish. A gutless, heartless display of basketball that was an embarrassment on the team's part.

I choose not to remember these guys by that performance tonight, because the veteran core of Spurs players brought it time and time again when there were physically well.

Hopefully, the guys will bring it Wednesday and make the series interesting. That's all we have to hang our hats on now.

ElNono
04-25-2011, 10:48 PM
Moving Splitter into the SL could work, if he and TD get some sort of defensive rhythm going.

I am much more concerned with the backcourt and their inability to even execute simple offensive plays.

The Summer League?

Obstructed_View
04-25-2011, 10:49 PM
If anything, after tonight Pop will cut back Splitter's minutes, if not put him back in the doghouse for good.

Yeah, probably. I'm holding out hope. Surely Pop's going to watch the film on this game. He may not show it to the team (he should), but he has to watch it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-25-2011, 10:50 PM
I'd go with a starting five of Parker, Neal, Jefferson, Duncan, and Blair for game 5.

Manu and Splitter come in together off the bench, and go pick and roll until Memphis calls uncle.

Bonner gets no more than five minutes in the first half. If he hasn't hit at least two threes in that time, he sits the rest of the pine.

ElNono
I have to agree with OP OV. I mean, 3-1 deficit sounds like it is insurmountable, but we have the next game at home which we should re-blow them out and then it comes down to game 6 on the road, where we've failed miserably in our first two chances but that game is all it boils down to if we take care of homecourt (35-7). Plus, Splitter should now see all of Blair's minutes, and if the Big 3 can put together 3 straight good games, coming back is not out of the question. Oh, and TP quit TURNING THE BALL OVER

You're mixing up regular season team record vs this team production... I know, it's easy to look back and then wonder how they dropped this turd... but MB is right, it's going to be very difficult to get stops on demand when we didn't do it all season long.

Splits
^ unless the team plane crashes, they gotta pulse. How many times have we ripped off massive winning streaks this year? 3 in a row is a joke if everyone can get their shit in order. A home game should help.

jag
04-25-2011, 10:53 PM
I actually agree with the OP (somewhat). The Spurs are still capable of winning this series...as for the rest of their road, too little too late with the integration of Splitter.

So much wasted time with gimmick lineups..

jag
04-25-2011, 10:54 PM
I'd go with a starting five of Parker, Neal, Jefferson, Duncan, and Blair for game 5.

Manu and Splitter come in together off the bench, and go pick and roll until Memphis calls uncle.

Bonner gets no more than five minutes in the first half. If he hasn't hit at least two threes in that time, he sits the rest of the pine.

Good suggestion

mexicanjunior
04-25-2011, 10:55 PM
I think we win game 5...we would need Gasol or Randolph to have a serious injury to win anymore games past that though...so let's hope the injury gods smile on us.

John Basedow
04-25-2011, 10:57 PM
So much wasted time with gimmick lineups..

He looked pretty good out there for the most part...not to be a dick but at worst this series would be 2-2 if Splitter was given that kind of run in Games 1-3

Obstructed_View
04-25-2011, 10:59 PM

I'm starting Parker, Neal, Ginobili, Duncan and Splitter. Camp Duncan 18 feet from the basket on offense, let Splitter fight for offensive rebounds and draw fouls. Duncan and Splitter clog the middle, everyone else just stays at home on their man. Do that three times and get ready for OKC.

jmanu20
04-25-2011, 10:59 PM
He looked pretty good out there for the most part...not to be a dick but at worst this series would be 2-2 if Splitter was given that kind of run in Games 1-3

You aren't being a dick, you're just being truthful. I would have thought Pop would have learned his lesson waiting too long to play Hill vs. the Mavs in 2009...but once a stubborn ass, always a stubborn ass I suppose.

Harry Callahan
04-25-2011, 11:02 PM

SA actually got some stops in the second quarter with Tiago out there against the Memphis bigs - then Manu went brain dead and started throwing the ball away and turned a seven or eight point lead into a tie.

The lack of composure was just ridiculous.

Obstructed_View
Being truthful has drawn an awful lot of venom from the Pop sucker crowd over the last few years. Don't blame JB for tiptoeing around the subject.

awktalk
You aren't being a dick, you're just being truthful. I would have thought Pop would have learned his lesson waiting too long to play Hill vs. the Mavs in 2009...but once a stubborn ass, always a stubborn ass I suppose.

Ummm.... hehehmmmm, uhhh well, I just thought I'd point out that, emmmm when Splitter started the 2nd half with Gasol and Randolph on the floor, with TD, ummmmm hehhheeemmmm, that MEM went on a ahemmmm, uhjhhmmmmm 14-0 run, ummm hehhheeemmm, like their best run of the entire series, ahemmmm and got into the penalty with like 9 minutes to go ahemmeheeemmmmm and Tiago had two of those ahemmma ummmm fouls.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-25-2011, 11:03 PM
I'm starting Parker, Neal, Ginobili, Duncan and Splitter. Camp Duncan 18 feet from the basket on offense, let Splitter fight for offensive rebounds and draw fouls. Duncan and Splitter clog the middle, everyone else just stays at home on their man. Do that three times and get ready for OKC.

I was inclined to say start Splitter, and Pop is in full on panic mode so it's even money that it will happen.

The problem with that is that then when it's time to give one of those guys a rest, you're bringing in some combination of Bonner, Blair, or Dice.

None of have shown the ability to hang with the Memphis bigs, and at all costs I want to minimize the chance of Pop trotting out Bonner and Blair together to give up whatever lead we could get playing TD and Splitter together.

jag
04-25-2011, 11:03 PM

He looked ok. In all honesty he looked raw as fuck. He looks like he's out there just winging it and improvising. He doesn't have any kind of rhythm on the offensive end, and very little chemistry with any of the players out there. All you can hope is that his length and instincts help him to contribute.

He's been given zero time to integrate into the system, and the coaching staff showed zero confidence in him. It's truly bizarre.

John Basedow
04-25-2011, 11:04 PM
Ummm.... hehehmmmm, uhhh well, I just thought I'd point out that, emmmm when Splitter started the 2nd half with Gasol and Randolph on the floor, with TD, ummmmm hehhheeemmmm, that MEM went on a ahemmmm, uhjhhmmmmm 14-0 run, ummm hehhheeemmm, like their best run of the entire series, ahemmmm and got into the penalty with like 9 minutes to go ahemmeheeemmmmm and Tiago had two of those ahemmma ummmm fouls.

Your bus is leaving.

ElNono
04-25-2011, 11:04 PM
He's been given zero time to integrate into the system, and the coach staff showed zero confidence in him. It's truly bizarre.

Is it?

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-25-2011, 11:05 PM

I know you're a retard, but let me help you:

1. Splitter was only out there for the first half of that run.

2. Splitter had two fouls. One was a tough one on Gasol that was as hard as anyone has fouled Gasol this series. The other was him trying to make up for one of our perimeter guys getting smoked.

3. It's not Splitter's fault that Parker, Jefferson, and Hill were taking turns playing turnstile defense on the Memphis guards.

Thanks for playing though.

awktalk
04-25-2011, 11:08 PM
I know you're a retard, but let me help you:

1. Splitter was only out there for the first half of that run.

2. Splitter had two fouls. One was a tough one on Gasol that was as hard as anyone has fouled Gasol this series. The other was him trying to make up for one of our perimeter guys getting smoked.

3. It's not Splitter's fault that Parker, Jefferson, and Hill were taking turns playing turnstile defense on the Memphis guards.

Thanks for playing though.

which was 2pts improved from when garbage time started

Obstructed_View
04-25-2011, 11:09 PM
I was inclined to say start Splitter, and Pop is in full on panic mode so it's even money that it will happen.

The problem with that is that then when it's time to give one of those guys a rest, you're bringing in some combination of Bonner, Blair, or Dice.

None of have shown the ability to hang with the Memphis bigs, and at all costs I want to minimize the chance of Pop trotting out Bonner and Blair together to give up whatever lead we could get playing TD and Splitter together.

Duncan can play against Randolph, and Splitter has about as good a chance as anyone against Gasol. Those matchups should be concrete, and the Spurs should match them minute for minute. Dice can play against Arthur, and Bonner or Blair can fight with sporks at the hotel for the rest of the minutes, I don't give a shit.

I don't mind a small lineup with Bonner if they're going to run and try to score easy buckets and break down the defense to set up threes, I just don't want to see it for more than a couple of minutes at a time.

jag
04-25-2011, 11:09 PM
Is it?

Like what do they see when they look at Splitter out on the floor? What do they see when they see DeJuan getting face fucked by anyone over 6'8"?

As raw as he looked and as awkward as Splitter probably felt out there, he still posted better stats than Gasol and Duncan. And had the same amount of rebounds and one less point than Randolph with a better shooting percentage.

John Basedow
04-25-2011, 11:13 PM
He looked ok. In all honesty he looked raw as fuck. He looks like he's out there just winging it and improvising. He doesn't have any kind of rhythm on the offensive end, and very little chemistry with any of the players out there. All you can hope is that his length and instincs help him to contribute.

He's been given zero time to integrate into the system, and the coach staff showed zero confidence in him. It's truly bizarre.

Agreed. He looked like a kid in his first ever playoff game, ho-hum. He showed flashes of brilliance and played aggressively, but he's clearly not comfortable out there yet. That's Pop's fault and no one else. As I (and many others on ST) have said since day 1, size matters. Splitter was an important pick-up and I initially feared the Spurs going into the year--because I thought Splitter would get the same run that Blair was afforded last year--thus, giving the Spurs a legit Twin Towers combo again. He suffered some minor injuries and Pop just forgot about him.

I feel bad for Tim, more than anyone else. Not only does the development of Splitter make them contenders again, it also prolongs his career. Pop wasted a valuable year, imho

phxspurfan
04-25-2011, 11:14 PM
Spurs in seven

ElNono
04-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Like what do they see when they look at Splitter out on the floor? What do they see when they see DeJuan getting face fucked by anyone over 6'8"?

As raw as he looked and as awkward as Splitter probably felt out there, he still posted better stats than Gasol and Duncan. And had the same amount of rebounds and one less point than Randolph with a better shooting percentage.

No, I'm wondering if you really think it's bizarre that Pop didn't get Splitter integrated into the team, especially after seeing Hill in '09, then watch it backfire...

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-25-2011, 11:24 PM

which was 2pts improved from when garbage time started

Ah yes, the vaunted +/-, which totally proves your point. Nevermind what happened on the court.

Nevermind that eight of that 14 came from:

RJ missed jumper, two points at the other end
Tony Parker turnover, 2 points for Memphis at the other end
George Hill turnover, 2 points at the other end
Tony Parker missed three pointer, 2 points at the other end

The guy was in positive territory in the first half when he was out on the court with Hill, Bonner, Manu, and Dice for crying out loud :lol

But yeah, he sucks, trade him for a bag of chips!

crc21209
04-25-2011, 11:27 PM
ONE game at a fucking time. If they get Game 5 at home (which they will) all they need to do is win 1 damn game on the road and get this bitch back home....

jag
04-25-2011, 11:30 PM
No, I'm wondering if you really think it's bizarre that Pop didn't get Splitter integrated into the team, especially after seeing Hill in '09, then watch it backfire...

It's bizarre that he would make the same mistake with a 7-footer who hustles, plays defense and can score on the PnR and while making cuts to the basket.

mingus
04-25-2011, 11:35 PM
Hate to say it, but this team is done. Before this game, I though Duncan would come out of his funk, but it's not a funk. Dude just doesn't have it anymore. And like Barkley said at halftime, nothing wrong with that. Happens to the best.

Nathan89
04-25-2011, 11:49 PM
Duncan can play against Randolph, and Splitter has about as good a chance as anyone against Gasol. Those matchups should be concrete, and the Spurs should match them minute for minute. Dice can play against Arthur, and Bonner or Blair can fight with sporks at the hotel for the rest of the minutes, I don't give a shit.

I don't mind a small lineup with Bonner if they're going to run and try to score easy buckets and break down the defense to set up threes, I just don't want to see it for more than a couple of minutes at a time.

In game 3 both Randolph and Gasol played 40min. I don't think Duncan or Splitter could play that many minutes.

Brutalis
04-25-2011, 11:55 PM

Bingo

Marcus Bryant
04-25-2011, 11:58 PM
Hate to say it, but this team is done. Before this game, I though Duncan would come out of his funk, but it's not a funk. Dude just doesn't have it anymore. And like Barkley said at halftime, nothing wrong with that. Happens to the best.

Fuck the round mound of no rings.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-26-2011, 12:19 AM

I could go with that, good point elaborating on the matchups.

Now, someone get Pop on the phone and tell him AHF and Obstructed_View have a plan :toast

L.I.T
04-26-2011, 12:45 AM
The Summer League?

Damn, subconsciously was already looking ahead to our next win.

Nathan89
04-26-2011, 12:48 AM
Please refrain from speaking of him in the past tense.

Twin towers, folks.

A chance to make history.

Those of you that know how pessimistic I've been the last, five years or so, should realize what this turn of events means.

The Spurs' chances of winning ring number five just got better than they've been all season.

Believe

In a weird way the Spurs chances of winning number five have just gotten better. If we continued what we were doing we would have been demolished in the future. Now we are playing an inexperienced Splitter and I still think that is a better option than Blair. If we weren't in this current situation we would continue to play uninspired basketball. If we did overcome the players will have a hunger in them that they never had before.

Of course I wouldn't bet on the Spurs to win this series but in twisted way the Spurs now indeed do have a better chance at winning a ring. At the very least we would be able to put up a better fight than we would have been able to do without the current circumstances.

Obstructed_View
04-26-2011, 03:02 AM
In game 3 both Randolph and Gasol played 40min. I don't think Duncan or Splitter could play that many minutes.

With all due respect, why the hell not?? What's the point of limiting Duncan's minutes to a career low if he can't go for 40 minutes in an elimination game? And Splitter has been literally resting for the entire season. Don't run a single, solitary offensive play for either of them aside from pick and rolls and let them do what they do on defense.

rmt
04-26-2011, 03:27 AM
With all due respect, why the hell not?? What's the point of limiting Duncan's minutes to a career low if he can't go for 40 minutes in an elimination game? And Splitter has been literally resting for the entire season. Don't run a single, solitary offensive play for either of them aside from pick and rolls and let them do what they do on defense.

They'll have the whole summer to rest so I don't see why they can't (more realistically 36 mins). Splitter's minutes would have to be broken up and rests maximized with time-outs (planned ahead) as he's not used to playing that many minutes. That leaves 24 mins. of Dice/Bonner/Blair (preferably Dice). Ray Allen and Paul Pierce routinely play 40 mins. in big (regular season) games.