PDA

View Full Version : what do we blame pop for now??

FkLA
04-26-2011, 12:57 AM
Last year he was a dumbass because he was playing Bogans (a starter on the team with the best record in the NBA) over Hairston (whos riding the bench somewhere in Yugoslavia). Or because he wasnt giving minutes to Ian Mahinmi whos a bench warmer in Dallas.

This year in the playoffs it was because he wasnt playing Splitter...he gets minutes, plays well, but our beloved Spurs get their asses handed to them. So what is it now? What should we blame this zit covered, wine drinking, old, senile coach for now?

awktalk
04-26-2011, 12:59 AM
Obviously the answer is that he didn't "develop" Splitter. How else can you explain that awesome 0-14 run we suffered at the beginning of the 2nd half? When is the last time Splitter started the 2nd half in place of the 1st half starter? Never, Pop panicked and got burned with the fools gold 1st half of Tiago.

peskypesky
04-26-2011, 12:59 AM
breathing

mexicanjunior
04-26-2011, 01:00 AM
For playing Manu in a meaningless regular season ending game...that is reason #1 for the series being over...

4>0rings
04-26-2011, 01:00 AM
25 lighters on the dresser, yes sir, I gots to get paid

Nathan89
04-26-2011, 01:02 AM
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/568/terryface.gif

This is how I looked when Pop put Splitter in.

Thoughts- Ain't that some shit. After an entire year of playing 6'5 Blair over Splitter he wants to switch shit up. Pop just fucked up the Spurs last chance by being a stubborn idiot all year.

admiralsnackbar
04-26-2011, 01:08 AM
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/568/terryface.gif

This is how I looked when Pop put Splitter in.

Thoughts- Ain't that some shit. After an entire year of playing 6'5 Blair over Splitter he wants to switch shit up. Pop just fucked up the Spurs last chance by being a stubborn idiot all year.

Right. Splitter could have made all our guards make their shots. And fire Pop, too...

Fuck all you coulda/woulda idiots. We're getting out-played. Tip your hat to the better team and grow a pair.

4>0rings
04-26-2011, 01:10 AM
Right. Splitter could have made all our guards make their shots. And fire Pop, too. Fuck all you coulda/woulda idiots. We're getting out-played. Tip your hat to the better team and grow a pair.
Tip top has to answer for his product. That is Pop, players don't draft or sign other players. If the leader can't get a team to play together, bitch ass can kick rocks.

LakerHater
04-26-2011, 01:17 AM
For keepin Bonner in WAAAAAAAAY too long!!!

admiralsnackbar
04-26-2011, 01:20 AM
Tip top has to answer for his product. That is Pop, players don't draft or sign other players. If the leader can't get a team to play together, bitch ass can kick rocks.

Aight -- find us players that were available and affordable who produced better than what we had.

4>0rings
04-26-2011, 01:21 AM
Aight -- find us players that were available and affordable who produced better than what we had.
Soon as they send me a check, i'll be on it. Better yet, as soon as I can fire the coach and hire myself to run this organization.

ElNono
04-26-2011, 01:24 AM
Fuck all you coulda/woulda idiots. We're getting out-played. Tip your hat to the better team and grow a pair.

By Mike Conley Jr, Darrel Arthur, Vazquez and OJ Mayo... let's not even bring the fact that Rudy Gay is injured...

A team that's very likely to get swept next round...

Coulda/woulda matters, because you build your team over 82 or so games... when you panic 4 games into the 1st round, it's because you laid a turd much earlier than that...

admiralsnackbar
04-26-2011, 01:24 AM
Soon as they send me a check, i'll be on it. Better yet, as soon as I can fire the coach and hire myself to run this organization.

In other words, you got nothing and you're just pissed after a hard loss. Understandable but unpersuasive.

ElNono
04-26-2011, 01:25 AM

Memphis got Battier and Allen... did they just happen to luck out?

Spurs had Splitter rotting on the bench all season long... available and affordable...

Rito3d30
04-26-2011, 01:26 AM
Last year he was a dumbass because he was playing Bogans (a starter on the team with the best record in the NBA) over Hairston (whos riding the bench somewhere in Yugoslavia). Or because he wasnt giving minutes to Ian Mahinmi whos a bench warmer in Dallas.

This year in the playoffs it was because he wasnt playing Splitter...he gets minutes, plays well, but our beloved Spurs get their asses handed to them. So what is it now? What should we blame this zit covered, wine drinking, old, senile coach for now?

In that Bonner 3pt gif
his release is so slow
also the release point is so low that even Z-bo almost got a piece of it

No wonder why he didn't shoot even though we thought he had a wide open

4>0rings
04-26-2011, 01:27 AM
In other words, you got nothing and you're just pissed after a hard loss. Understandable but unpersuasive.
Don't resign Bonner, get some 7' stiff. Get Splitter in rotation. We done? Kick rocks faggot.

admiralsnackbar
04-26-2011, 01:29 AM
By Mike Conley Jr, Darrel Arthur, Vazquez and OJ Mayo... let's not even bring the fact that Rudy Gay is injured...

A team that's very likely to get swept next round...

Coulda/woulda matters, because you build your team over 82 or so games... when you panic 4 games into the 1st round, it's because you laid a turd much earlier than that...
No question this team was built without balance and it caught up with us, but again: what was available to us that seemed like a good idea? What amazing players did the FO sleep on?

If you want to get pissy, hate on the FO for cheaping out over the course of TD's career... fucking Ron Mercer? Charlie Ward? Jamal McCaskill? The cavalcade of spent former stars like Fin, Mighty Mouse, and Van Exel? If we were investing in LOBs, we should have done it when TD was actually a dominant force/

admiralsnackbar
04-26-2011, 01:30 AM
Don't resign Bonner, get some 7' stiff. Get Splitter in rotation. We done? Kick rocks faggot.

We're both kicking rocks, faggot. I'm just trying to reason with your sorry ass.

Nathan89
04-26-2011, 01:34 AM
Right. Splitter could have made all our guards make their shots. And fire Pop, too...

Pop fucked up and his decision to play Splitter is admittance of that fuck up.

TE
04-26-2011, 01:36 AM
There is always something to bitch about.

admiralsnackbar
04-26-2011, 01:38 AM
Pop fucked up and his decision to play Splitter is admittance of that fuck up. And admitting his fuck-up and playing Splitter resulted in what?

I hated this loss as much as anybody, but how does Splitter make our shooting % better?

FkLA
04-26-2011, 01:45 AM
If we were investing in LOBs, we should have done it when TD was actually a dominant force/

This. Timmy not Pop was the biggest reason we won 4 titles, and father time catching up with him is the reason we're no longer winning them. This shit aint on Pop, no reason to make him the scapegoat...Splitter or no Splitter we werent winning it all. Splitter wasnt gonna turn back the clock on Timmy nor was he gonna get us back to Spurs defense. We had a window during Timmy's prime that wasnt maximized, we cant really complain too much about 4 titles though.

rmt
04-26-2011, 01:48 AM
No question this team was built without balance and it caught up with us, but again: what was available to us that seemed like a good idea? What amazing players did the FO sleep on?

If you want to get pissy, hate on the FO for cheaping out over the course of TD's career... fucking Ron Mercer? Charlie Ward? Jamal McCaskill? The cavalcade of spent former stars like Fin, Mighty Mouse, and Van Exel? If we were investing in LOBs, we should have done it when TD was actually a dominant force/

The seeds were sown in '06 Mavs series when Pop embraced small ball instead of a legit 7 footer next to Duncan. Spurs luck out with Mavs/GS and the suspensions, looked around and thought they could get by on the cheap. Instead of signing Scola (together w/Pop's small ball - the worst decisions in the Duncan era), they go with Bonner and stand pat with the vets (Thomas, Finley, Bogans, etc.) when they should have brought in young legs in 07.

Two years too late, they start the youth influx with Hill and decide to finally splurge on RJ, a useless, ill-fitting player. Pop compounds the problem by resigning Bonner and RJ, starting Blair, pinning Splitter to the bench.

Spurs would be up 3-1 now if he had integrated Splitter in the regular season and not gone with (too small) Bonner/Blair.

ElNono
04-26-2011, 01:50 AM

First, you stop loading up your salary cap with weak players and proven playoff chokers... so you actually have room when a good option comes around.

Plenty of players changed teams from 2008 to this season... We can make a long, long list... just look at teams like OKC, Memphis, Portland, Dallas, etc etc etc...

The thing is, while TD was in his prime, and guys like Bowen were around, and defense was the philosophy, we could get by even with that. Once Bruce started slipping and Timmy started to slow down, we went to the completely opposite side of the spectrum... there's capable defenders out there in the league (look at Memphis). We just headed for the exit.

admiralsnackbar
04-26-2011, 01:51 AM
Spurs would be up 3-1 now if he had integrated Splitter in the regular season and not gone with (too small) Bonner/Blair.

Respect, but that's dreams talking. They have owned us inside and out, and they've been young enough to want it worse than we have. Tip your hat.

SCdac
04-26-2011, 01:51 AM
I don't put 100% blame on Pop or any one person of the Spurs for that matter, but damn, it feels like Poppovich doesn't even have a real grasp of the kind of mindset teams need, and flexibility in depth, heading into the playoffs nowadays. We can't just set in stone 6-8 player rotation, play them a crap load of minutes and that's it, that kind of mentality might have worked back in 2005 when the big 3 were in their collective prime, but nowadays it's lead to being swept by the Suns and possibly beaten by the Grizzlies - neither team of which is winning a championship IMO. Including Splitter into the playoff picture (much more than he was given) should have been on the agenda since day 1, but Pop seems too stubborn to usher in a new era. Taking Blair out of the starting lineup might have been called for in the RS, but reducing his minutes to next to nothing, well, gives us next to nothing from such a great hustle player. Bonner has been used much better this season (along w our depth), but that was because he wasn't quite at the forefront as seasons past, he was a complement - we won probably a dozen games without him playing at all. FFS, Vasquez and Haddadi are basically rookies, yet they're getting minutes for Memphis because they're hungry, they're whole team is playing hungry. While our team seems about as unsure of itself as Pop thinks of it (he seems so perplexed by how the team plays at times, almost like he's watching from afar). Obviously not the way players play, but our team's identity is largely in Pops hands IMO, and it's so murky right now. Do we feed Duncan more or less? Do we call a timeout at the end of that game? Should or shouldn't Splitter play? Are we going to continue to go under screens and test Memphis' jump shooting?...... just seems like our confidence has weaned, even from the coach

eric365
04-26-2011, 01:52 AM
For playing Splitter at the start of the 3rd quarter. Especially playng him with Duncan for the first time of the season. Especially against the Memphis starter for the 1rst time. And in a tough playoff game.

He should be played at the end of a quarter for now
A rookie big could foul a lot and you have to send the other team to the line every single foul of the remaining of the quarter.

He had 2 quick fouls and the spurs were over the limit very quickly in this critical 3rd quarter.

Not starting Dice in the 2nd half killed the game. Splitter should have came in at the end of the 3rd just like the first half IMO

Nathan89
04-26-2011, 01:53 AM
And admitting his fuck-up and playing Splitter resulted in what?

I hated this loss as much as anybody, but how does Splitter make our shooting % better?

Should been playing the entire season and then this series. Then we wouldn't have to worry about stopping the most confident team in the World from hitting every shot they take. We would have crushed all hope by now. Are team wouldn't feel like Rocky when he was fighting the Russian.

BMH3QJxIzJk

This team feels like a machine for the Spurs. Confidence has created a monster. It's time to cut them.

admiralsnackbar
04-26-2011, 01:57 AM
Splitter has more in common with Drago than Rocky.

ElNono
04-26-2011, 01:58 AM
btw admiral, nothing personal. I've been saying Tim needed help for two seasons now. Seeing this stuff blow on our faces just reinforces something that has been a need for now. I see teams like Memphis with guys like Battier and Allen, and I'm thinking "did we really re-up RJ and Bonner?". Lakers got Artest during that time. OKC got Sefolosha. As far as bigs, we got Dice (good signing, IMO, even if long in the tooth), we got Splitter... yet we kept running out with small ball and gimmicky stretch-4...

Fpoonsie
04-26-2011, 01:59 AM
'snack, taking the gloves off.

:corn:

admiralsnackbar
04-26-2011, 02:05 AM
btw admiral, nothing personal. I've been saying Tim needed help for two seasons now. Seeing this stuff blow on our faces just reinforces something that has been a need for now. I see teams like Memphis with guys like Battier and Allen, and I'm thinking "did we really re-up RJ and Bonner?". Lakers got Artest during that time. OKC got Sefolosha. As far as bigs, we got Dice (good signing, IMO, even if long in the tooth), we got Splitter... yet we kept running out with small ball and gimmicky stretch-4...

None taken, brother -- just a hard thing to admit we are owned by a lower-seeded team and that our best horses weren't helped by the FO when it mattered. They did double down at the end, but in two seasons when stretch4s and 3s were rare and overpriced. Too little, much, much too late. Only reason I keep posting is because I know Pop had less to do with our fade than age and cheapness from ownership ever will.

Nathan89
04-26-2011, 02:06 AM
Splitter has more in common with Drago than Rocky.

That was not the point.

If we played Splitter we could have won the first two--That would be a cut

Lets say we lost game one, then we could have won games 2 and 3-- cut

Nope we just won game 2(little jab). We never cut this team and now they feel unstoppable. We now have to win the next two games to "cut" this team.

admiralsnackbar
04-26-2011, 02:13 AM
That was not the point.

If we played Splitter we could have won the first two--That would be a cut

Lets say we lost game one, then we could have won games 2 and 3-- cut

Nope we just won game 2(little jab). We never cut this team and now they feel unstoppable. We now have to win the next two games to "cut" this team.

I feel you, but thinking Splitter was gonna "cut" this Grizz team just doesn't ring true to me. Opinions are opinions, but they've owned us at every position but the 2, and Manu is playing at less than optimal strength. Memphis confidence isn't killing us. Spurs are killing themselves.

admiralsnackbar
04-26-2011, 02:15 AM
'snack, taking the gloves off.

:corn:

Whatever, racist :lol

rmt
04-26-2011, 02:18 AM
Respect, but that's dreams talking. They have owned us inside and out, and they've been young enough to want it worse than we have. Tip your hat.

They would not have owned us inside if Splitter had been integrated. Are you saying that Splitter playing straight up would have been worse than Bonner and Blair fronting Gasol or Randolph and throwing off the whole team defense trying to help them out? Or are Bonner (6pt/3reb avg in 21 min) and Blair (4pt/3reb avg in 12 min) better than Splitter (10pt/9reb in 22 min)? The first 2 losses were by 3 points. IMO, Splitter's defense would have been enough to turn those losses into wins.

Gasol/Randolph combined for a total of only 20 pts/18rebs today but MEM's defense was fantastic.

Fpoonsie
04-26-2011, 02:19 AM
Whatever, racist :lol

:lol

mytespurs
04-26-2011, 02:37 AM
interesting to read the speculation where the Spurs would've been if Splitter had been put in the line up earlier, etc., etc., etc....when truth is none of us can say for certainty how things would've worked out......just sayin....

I know there are one that several "Pop must go" threads........I hope they are all archived somewhere in this forum so in years to come......once pop is gone, the big 3 are no more, the bottom falls out, the spurs become a perennial lottery team and the coach in place is basically :p:, when some start complaining that we have the talent to win and why can't we find another popovich.......just direct them to the "Pop Must Go" archive forums. :hat

Sorry guys......in a chippy mood....just trying to ease the pain and prepare myself for the inevitable.......

admiralsnackbar
04-26-2011, 02:38 AM
They would not have owned us inside if Splitter had been integrated. Are you saying that Splitter playing straight up would have been worse than Bonner and Blair fronting Gasol or Randolph and throwing off the whole team defense trying to help them out? Or are Bonner (6pt/3reb avg in 21 min) and Blair (4pt/3reb avg in 12 min) better than Splitter (10pt/9reb in 22 min)? The first 2 losses were by 3 points. IMO, Splitter's defense would have been enough to turn those losses into wins.

Gasol/Randolph combined for a total of only 20 pts/18rebs today but MEM's defense was fantastic.

Dunno about worse, but are you saying that our guards didn't lose us this game, even with Splitter in? Only clear sign I got that Tiago wan't integrated was when Manu shot him a weird pass under the basket (not the hail-mary, which was just a stupid pass).

SenorSpur
04-26-2011, 02:58 AM

Pop should be held accountable for not making the necessary personnel decisions to counter the bigger, phyiscal frontlines of both the Grizz and Fakers. Instead of publically criticizing the Gasol trade in 2008, he should've figured out how to get taller, longer and more physical. Instead, he elected to get smaller. He lusted after Matt Bonner and quickly resigned him, as though he was LeBron James. Making him a priority in his plan to evolve the team into one that closely resembled the Phoenix Suns, was a HUGE mistake.

Speaking of a taller frontline, I'm still going to blame him for casting away Ian Mahinmi.. Tha'ts not to say that he would've made a difference in this series or this season, but I'd rather have had him as a future building block than Bonner.

Pop is also to blame for trying to convert RJ into a catch-and-shoot player - something he's never been before and something he's really not now. I admit it seemed like a good choice at the time, but after 2 underwhelming seasons, it's clear that he simply isn't a good fit for this team and this offense. Giving him that contract extension was a mistake.

admiralsnackbar
04-26-2011, 03:11 AM
RJ turned himself into a catch-and-shoot player in the great white North well before we traded for him.

And Mahinmi? For real?

Fuck it... I give up. Pop lost us this series, age and cheap FO bullshit had nothing to do with it, and market forces forcing the Bonner and RJ extensions had nothing to do with it, either.

Seismologists don't know shit until after earthquakes hit, but Spurs fans are ahead of that curve.

ElNono
04-26-2011, 03:12 AM
Seismologists don't know shit until after earthquakes hit, but Spurs fans are ahead of that curve.

Just stay home tomorrow, tbh :lol

admiralsnackbar
04-26-2011, 03:16 AM
Just stay home tomorrow, tbh :lol

I'm taking that advice :toast