PDA

View Full Version : A Deep Breath as Victory Approaches

GrandeDavid
04-26-2011, 09:31 AM
I will not suggest lineup changes, such as starting Splitter next to Duncan and bringing Manu off the bench, because I have no idea what’s in Popovich’s head, and I will not presume to know which lineups work best. Instead, I’ll take a shot at the psychology of the series and why we fans need to keep our cool in “seeing what happens”.

The Spurs got pounded and so thoroughly undone and humiliated in the third and parts of the fourth quarter yesterday that I think the basketball world is feeling more sorry for the Spurs than anything else. This has never been a team to quit, so maybe the Muhammad Ali analogy is correct. But hopefully we’ll see more of Rocky VI in Game 5 out of this team.

It would certainly appear that the Spurs’ core has taken countless hard blows over the decade plus of play together spanning NBA and world championships and Olympic gold medals. The Spurs showed age and the role players showed something between stage fright cowardice and bumbling effortlessness. The Spurs are at rock bottom as a team this season.

The good news is Game 5 is in San Antonio and being at rock bottom means you can only go up. In Game 4 the Spurs had a franchise unheard of 17 turnovers to 16 assists yesterday. That would be so thoroughly, pitifully inexcusable even by the Minnesota Timberwolves in November. Because the Spurs have so much experience and organizational pride, one finds it logical to assume that the team will put forth one last terrific effort tomorrow night. That, naturally, does not guarantee a Spurs victory, not after what we witnessed last night.

The Spurs face three possible outcomes tomorrow. One, they lose and are done, and the direction of the franchise is a discussion better suited for another column on another day.

The second scenario is that they squeak out a victory by the skin of their teeth. At that point, it would be easily chalked up as “well, the old Spurs grabbed one more win for their fans, but Memphis shot themselves in the foot and will finish them off on Friday.”

But the third option is entirely possible, albeit improbable. The Spurs just might not only lay it all on the line, but also get a few bounces and calls and shots to go down. What if the Spurs win by 10 or 15 tomorrow night? At that point there would be an ever so slight sneaky feeling of concern entering into the young Grizzlies’ psyche. Oh, they’d probably tell the press and even themselves that they took their foot off the Spurs’ throats, that they let the Spurs’ home crowd distract them a bit, but all will be right come Friday.

But I wouldn’t be so much concerned about Memphis’ state-of-mind at that point, I’d be more interested in what could be happening in the Spurs’ hearts. With absolutely no pressure, zero expectations left and coming off a strong home victory in Game 5, and knowing that turnovers killed them in Game 4, the Spurs could maybe, possibly steal one in Memphis in Game 6.

And let’s be clear, if this goes to Game 7, this series is over and done with. In favor of the Spurs. So while Spurs fans are rightfully disappointed and questioning the character and heart of some of the players, I say give them one more shot Wednesday night. If they lay down and get trampled or lose in triple overtime on a half court heave, dismantle the team and criticize them with scalding tones if you will. But if they win Game 5 and do the not-so-impossible and win Game 6 in Memphis, then a reverse miracle will happen.

If this were some chumpy championshipless franchise loaded with troublemakers and rookies, that’d be one thing. But over the years the Spurs have given their fans reason to believe that although they may appear to have stumbled hard, they are not quitters. I think that the Spurs became frustrated, confused and sloppy last night. But I would be very hesitant in labeling Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker and Tim Duncan quitters. Never.

And as awful as they’ve been, even Matt Bonner and Richard Jefferson actually have a couple of playoff series victories under their belts, so its not like they carry some curse. Have they stunk? Mightily. But Tim Duncan has earned the fans’ trust for rallying this team in the past. Even if he doesn’t have much left in the tank, he deserves our confidence that he’ll say and do the right things to get this team focused for Wednesday’s task.

So its time to take a deep breath, look to Wednesday night with realistic expectations of a resounding victory at home, then the true Game 7 will be played in Memphis on Friday night where anything can happen.

Believe!

GrandeDavid
04-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Game 5: Spurs 106 Grizzlies 92
Game 6: Spurs 93 Grizziles 89
Game 7: Spurs 94 Grizziles 87

Hey, crazier things have happened!

Horse
04-26-2011, 12:34 PM
Yes just look to 06 we were down 3-1 to dallas fought all the way back and in postion to win game 7. Now we did'nt but that same effort would beat these grizzles. And although I did'nt think a foul should've been called in that situation this time Manu will not foul.

TE
04-26-2011, 12:43 PM
believe

GrandeDavid
04-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Yes just look to 06 we were down 3-1 to dallas fought all the way back and in postion to win game 7. Now we did'nt but that same effort would beat these grizzles. And although I did'nt think a foul should've been called in that situation this time Manu will not foul.

And what about against New Orleans a couple of series ago? In that one the Spurs got blown out twice in New Orleans and ended up winning Game 7. I can see the Spurs doing that on Friday. If this particular series reaches Game 7, the Spurs will win it.

Strike
04-26-2011, 01:03 PM

Blaming the refs again? Old habits, huh?

crc21209
04-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Great fucking post Grande! :tu No way the Spurs lay down like little bitches in their own house. They'll leave it all on the court, Manu and Tim especially. I've felt and seen worse before, being down 3-1 to a Dallas team that had our number to come back and force a Game 7, and were a Manu foul away from winning that Game 7. I've seen them get absolutely annihilated in New Orleans in the 1st two games of the 08' Semis, go down 3-2 as well, and still win the series. If anyone can dig deep down and pull this series out, it's the Spurs. BELIEVE. :flag:

spurtech09
04-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Game 5: Spurs 106 Grizzlies 92
Game 6: Spurs 93 Grizziles 89
Game 7: Spurs 94 Grizziles 87

Hey, crazier things have happened!
you can read the future:king

spurtech09
04-26-2011, 01:41 PM
believe:toast

Spur|n|Austin
04-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Great post! True fans always believe. One. Game. At. A. Time.

hater
04-26-2011, 01:52 PM
great post. u almost want to make me believe. But in all honesty, Spurs are done.

I will be supporting them in game 5 and I think they can pull that game off. But that's about it.

Spurs Brazil
04-26-2011, 02:15 PM
I will not suggest lineup changes, such as starting Splitter next to Duncan and bringing Manu off the bench, because I have no idea what’s in Popovich’s head, and I will not presume to know which lineups work best. Instead, I’ll take a shot at the psychology of the series and why we fans need to keep our cool in “seeing what happens”.

The Spurs got pounded and so thoroughly undone and humiliated in the third and parts of the fourth quarter yesterday that I think the basketball world is feeling more sorry for the Spurs than anything else. This has never been a team to quit, so maybe the Muhammad Ali analogy is correct. But hopefully we’ll see more of Rocky VI in Game 5 out of this team.

It would certainly appear that the Spurs’ core has taken countless hard blows over the decade plus of play together spanning NBA and world championships and Olympic gold medals. The Spurs showed age and the role players showed something between stage fright cowardice and bumbling effortlessness. The Spurs are at rock bottom as a team this season.

The good news is Game 5 is in San Antonio and being at rock bottom means you can only go up. In Game 4 the Spurs had a franchise unheard of 17 turnovers to 16 assists yesterday. That would be so thoroughly, pitifully inexcusable even by the Minnesota Timberwolves in November. Because the Spurs have so much experience and organizational pride, one finds it logical to assume that the team will put forth one last terrific effort tomorrow night. That, naturally, does not guarantee a Spurs victory, not after what we witnessed last night.

The Spurs face three possible outcomes tomorrow. One, they lose and are done, and the direction of the franchise is a discussion better suited for another column on another day.

The second scenario is that they squeak out a victory by the skin of their teeth. At that point, it would be easily chalked up as “well, the old Spurs grabbed one more win for their fans, but Memphis shot themselves in the foot and will finish them off on Friday.”

But the third option is entirely possible, albeit improbable. The Spurs just might not only lay it all on the line, but also get a few bounces and calls and shots to go down. What if the Spurs win by 10 or 15 tomorrow night? At that point there would be an ever so slight sneaky feeling of concern entering into the young Grizzlies’ psyche. Oh, they’d probably tell the press and even themselves that they took their foot off the Spurs’ throats, that they let the Spurs’ home crowd distract them a bit, but all will be right come Friday.

But I wouldn’t be so much concerned about Memphis’ state-of-mind at that point, I’d be more interested in what could be happening in the Spurs’ hearts. With absolutely no pressure, zero expectations left and coming off a strong home victory in Game 5, and knowing that turnovers killed them in Game 4, the Spurs could maybe, possibly steal one in Memphis in Game 6.

And let’s be clear, if this goes to Game 7, this series is over and done with. In favor of the Spurs. So while Spurs fans are rightfully disappointed and questioning the character and heart of some of the players, I say give them one more shot Wednesday night. If they lay down and get trampled or lose in triple overtime on a half court heave, dismantle the team and criticize them with scalding tones if you will. But if they win Game 5 and do the not-so-impossible and win Game 6 in Memphis, then a reverse miracle will happen.

If this were some chumpy championshipless franchise loaded with troublemakers and rookies, that’d be one thing. But over the years the Spurs have given their fans reason to believe that although they may appear to have stumbled hard, they are not quitters. I think that the Spurs became frustrated, confused and sloppy last night. But I would be very hesitant in labeling Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker and Tim Duncan quitters. Never.

And as awful as they’ve been, even Matt Bonner and Richard Jefferson actually have a couple of playoff series victories under their belts, so its not like they carry some curse. Have they stunk? Mightily. But Tim Duncan has earned the fans’ trust for rallying this team in the past. Even if he doesn’t have much left in the tank, he deserves our confidence that he’ll say and do the right things to get this team focused for Wednesday’s task.

So its time to take a deep breath, look to Wednesday night with realistic expectations of a resounding victory at home, then the true Game 7 will be played in Memphis on Friday night where anything can happen.

Believe!

:tu

One game at a time. We can and we'll do it. It starts tomorrow

The_Worlds_finest
04-26-2011, 02:18 PM
game 5: Spurs 106 grizzlies 92
game 6: Spurs 93 grizziles 89
game 7: Spurs 94 grizziles 87

hey, crazier things have happened!

lets do this shit!!!!!!!

nkdlunch
04-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Pop panicked in game 4. plain and simple.

It's time for Duncan and Manu to take charge. Spurs win BIG.

GrandeDavid
04-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Pop panicked in game 4. plain and simple.

It's time for Duncan and Manu to take charge. Spurs win BIG.

I think you're right. I'm also of the belief that they can't play any worse than they did in the second half yesterday. They're coming home and have a chance to make a positive statement. Then lay it all on the line in Game 6 and see what happens. And by then I'm assuming Manu's arm would be even better, although I think the problems have lied anywhere but with Manu's health.

DieHardSpursFan1537
04-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Great thread! Believe!