PDA

View Full Version : Article: Common thread in Spurs’ struggles: Bonner

2Cleva
04-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Found this funny considering the blame he gets here.

Common thread in Spurs’ struggles: Bonner

Memphis' sound defense has has limited Matt Bonner's ability to create space on offense for the Spurs. (Soobum Im-US PRESSWIRE)

It is not Matt Bonner’s fault that the Grizzlies are one win away from eliminating the top-seeded Spurs, but Bonner’s time on the court throughout the series, and specifically in Game 4, sheds light on two intersecting issues that go a long way toward explaining an upset few predicted:

1) The Spurs lack a second reliable big man to flank Tim Duncan. We knew this from the start, but never was it laid more bare than on Monday night when Gregg Popovich, in a rare glimpse of desperation, benched DeJuan Blair, gave heavy minutes to the previously invisible Tiago Splitter and finally went small with Richard Jefferson at power forward in the fourth quarter.

2) The Grizzlies, through careful defense, have taken away the outside shots that fueled San Antonio’s elite offense all season. Sebastian Pruiti analyzes this issue with handy video here, but I wanted to zero in on Bonner and all the non-obvious ways he represents several of the key trends that together have resulted in the Grizzlies’ 3-1 edge. We’re not talking about the size disadvantage that cripples Bonner on defense when he has been forced to guard Zach Randolph and (much more often Marc Gasol); that’s an obvious thing, there’s nothing Bonner can do about it and its impact is plain to see every time Randolph backs him down or the Grizzlies lob an entry pass over Bonner’s fronting defense.

Let’s look instead at the way the Grizzlies have neutralized Bonner’s offense, particularly the three-point shots he usually gets off of pick-and-pop plays. Two possessions early in the second quarter sum this up perfectly. The Spurs run the same play each time, and it’s designed to get Bonner an open three-point look from the right corner. As George Hill (guarded by Greivis Vasquez at about the 11:30 mark) handles on the right wing, beyond the three-point line, Bonner comes over from the middle of the court, sets a screen for Hill and fades over to the right corner area. Hill dribbles around the screen toward the top of the arc, and Bonner’s man (Darrell Arthur) basically switches onto Hill and chases him to the middle of the court. The problem is Vasquez sticks with Hill and is right behind Arthur, mirroring his pursuit.

Bonner is open, and Hill passes to him. Vasquez realizes he’s in trouble and closes out like a mad man, but Bonner still gets an open look. He misses.

This is a rare slip-up from a Memphis team that has taken away the San Antonio’s beloved corner three by playing the passing lanes smartly and rotating off corner shooters only in emergencies. And it’s a slip-up the Spurs noticed, because they ran this exact play again two minutes later. This time, the Grizzles are ready, and Vasquez simply switches onto Bonner when the screen happens, negating the entire play. The possession ends with a George Hill air ball.

Two important things here:

1) The Grizzlies know Bonner’s offensive game is one-dimensional, and they have no issues switching a guard onto him early in the shot clock. It’s not as if Bonner is going to post up.

2) Arthur’s quickness is crucial, since the Grizzlies — both here and on several possessions down the stretch – show they are not afraid to switch Arthur onto a guard (Hill) if it means shutting off Bonner.

We see this twice on the same trip down the floor with a minute to go at the end of the third quarter. The Spurs, badly in need of a hoop, run a Manu Ginobili/Bonner pick-and-roll at the top of the key. The Grizzlies switch, so that Ginobili’s man (Shane Battier) slides onto Bonner while Arthur takes Ginobili. Arthur does well in an apparent mismatch, forcing Ginobili into a tough floater which draws only air. The Spurs get the ball back after a loose ball foul on the rebound scramble.

The Spurs inbound and run a George Hill/Bonner pick-and-roll. The Grizzlies switch again, so that Arthur takes Hill and Hill’s man (Vasquez) takes Bonner. Hill works a failed give-and-go with Bonner before launching a three from the edge of the giant bear logo to beat the shot clock. Air ball.

Bonner’s night ended the way most of the series has gone for him: with the Grizzlies working him over on defense. In a two-minute span of the fourth quarter, Memphis ran variations the same play four times in a row — a pick-and-pop for Arthur, once again guarded by Bonner. The play led to three scores in four possessions, mostly the result of Bonner’s inability to help on the ball-handler (Mike Conley) and dart back to Arthur in time to contest Arthur’s reliable mid-range jumper. On the first possession, Conley missed an open mid-range shot, but the Grizz scored on an offensive rebound. (Note: Conley had all the open mid-range looks he wanted, since San Antonio’s guards went under screens on almost every Conley pick-and-roll).

On the second, Conley dished back to Arthur for a jumper, and Bonner was so late getting back that Gary Neal had to cheat off of Tony Allen in the left corner to run out at Arthur. Arthur saw this and hit Allen on a back-door cut for an easy lay-in. The same action repeated itself on the next possession, only Allen missed an chippy over Neal, and Arthur finished the blood bath by hitting a wide-open pick-and-pop jumper on the Grizzlies’ next trip.

Again, this is not to pick on Bonner. It’s a lot to ask of him to guard a quick athlete like Arthur, and it’s obviously asking too much to have him guard Gasol; there’s a reason the Grizzlies have scored a whopping 118.3 points per 100 possessions with Bonner on the floor and just 102 points per 100 possessions when Bonner sits. The fact that Bonner has been on the floor guarding Gasol and Arthur for long stretches is less about Bonner’s limitations than it is about the limitations of San Antonio’s big man rotation. Bonner is on the floor for his offense, to create space for others, and Memphis has been able to take that dimension of his game away with sound defense.

There are a lot of reasons San Antonio is on the brink. Tim Duncan isn’t capable of dominating games anymore and has looked like the second-best center on the floor for much of this series; Tony Parker was inconsistent until last night; the implosion of Richard Jefferson (again) has led Popovich to use more three-guard lineups, which in turn has given Sam Young and Shane Battier easy post-up chances; the Grizzlies have forced a chronically careful team to turn the ball over more often than all but two playoff teams; Memphis has abused San Antonio’s power forwards and taken away the Spurs’ best three-point looks.

The latter two trends are perhaps the most important, and Bonner is the place where they intersect. The Spurs probably don’t have an answer on hand, barring a bounce-back game from Blair or a better-than-solid effort from Splitter. That lack of an answer is why San Antonio is likely going home very soon.

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/04/26/common-thread-in-spurs-struggles-bonner/

lefty
04-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Thanks 2Cleva :tu

Bonner :lol

TampaDude
04-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Yup...it's all Bonner's fault. :lol

SCdac
04-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Again, this is not to pick on Bonner. It’s a lot to ask of him to guard a quick athlete like Arthur, and it’s obviously asking too much to have him guard Gasol; there’s a reason the Grizzlies have scored a whopping 118.3 points per 100 possessions with Bonner on the floor and just 102 points per 100 possessions when Bonner sits. The fact that Bonner has been on the floor guarding Gasol and Arthur for long stretches is less about Bonner’s limitations than it is about the limitations of San Antonio’s big man rotation. Bonner is on the floor for his offense, to create space for others, and Memphis has been able to take that dimension of his game away with sound defense.

:depressed

the fact that Marc Gasol and Darrell Arthur are giving us problems, neither of which are All-NBA or All-Star players, is sad. And yes, it's not necessarily about Bonner's limitations - it's about our "exactly the same as last season" big man rotation. Bonner doesn't choose his minutes he's just going out there and trying to do his things, but the fact he's 3 for 11 from beyond the arch, and teams aren't afraid to put a guard on him, shows us (again) we severely need another option outside of Bonner - IF the matchup calls for it. That's what I hate about Pop's rigidity with his lineups, if somethings not working he's going to continue to play it until it does work or we're knocked out of the playoffs.

wildbill2u
04-26-2011, 05:26 PM
Memphis exploited us by good switching defense--but it wasn't only Bonner who couldn't make the 3.

How many times did you see RJ and even Manu open but pull it down and pass when they saw a Grizzly run at them. No confidence.

objective
04-26-2011, 05:27 PM
wow.

I bet the 48 Minutes of Hell (aka 48 Minutes of Irrational Bonner Loving) crew is furious at Lowe right now.

While they take the time to write sly anti-Splitter articles, someone else is breaking down Bonner.

Lowe's got a lot of nerve.

pjjrfan
04-26-2011, 05:38 PM
It's not rocket science, it's about match-ups, and for Bonner to be a match-up problem for the Grizz he has to hit shots he has to get himself open and Bonner has some good looks which he has passed up which has really ticked me off. The other problem is that Bonner, Neal, and Jefferson have been wide open at times but either Tony, Manu or HIll have just not passed them the ball, in the case of Neal it has led him to keep the ball when he does get it and make bad selections from the frustrations of not getting the ball in his spots. So it's just not about Bonner and really 3 of the 4 games have gone down to the wire, so it's not like the Griz are killing us, last night was just one of those nights. The bottom line is our guards have to play smarter to offset our lack of size.

silverblk mystix
04-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Any armchair coach can see this, dissect it, reveal it...

and yet Pop can't make an adjustment after four fuckin games of the same fuckin' shit...

but he has 4 rings and these armchair coaches don't....

Warlord23
04-26-2011, 06:37 PM
The on-court/off-court stats say it all. The problem is that many fans (and probably Pop) looked at the regular season shooting numbers and got suckered into thinking that Bonner would be a solid weapon in the playoffs. But history often repeats itself in the playoffs.

Spurs Brazil
04-26-2011, 06:40 PM
What I don't understand is he failed in the 2009 and 2010 playoffs and was rewarded with a 4 year deal

:depressed:depressed:depressed

ElNono
04-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Water is wet...

And let me add that Horry would take the 3 pointer no matter who closed on him, especially a shorter guard...

kaji157
04-26-2011, 06:48 PM
Ginobili playing limited and missing one game could also help a lot, considering the first 2 memphis wins would have been wins only with a 100% Ginobili.

GabeIsGone
04-26-2011, 06:57 PM
What I don't understand is he failed in the 2009 and 2010 playoffs and was rewarded with a 4 year deal

Your not alone

Solid D
04-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Not only Bonner, but the Grizzlies have defended all three-point shooters very well, with only a few unlucky exceptions (unlucky=missed shots).

During the playoffs, the Spurs are 20-65 (.303) on 3-pointers as a team. None of their players are anywhere close to the top of the NBA playoffs leader-board. RJ is ranked 25th at 5-12 (.417). Hill and Neal are tied for 40th (.333) and Bonner and Ginobili are tied for 47th (.273).

The Grizzlies are playing great defense and the Spurs are having difficulty creating their own quality scoring opportunities - something the Spurs have struggled with in past years, but not this season.

There are those who say that the Spurs don't live and die on the 3-point line, but I happen to believe they rely on the 3-point shot so much, that they become discombobulated when teams have enough size and ability to shut down both the lane and shots from the arc.

The Grizzlies are so quick and handsy, they basically make the Spurs feel rushed when they do shoot.

objective
04-26-2011, 07:05 PM
in slight defense of Bonner, he had several open looks in games 1-3 where he never even received the pass.

I'm reasonably confident that it wouldn't have made a difference with Bonner's proven playoff reputation, but I have to be fair and say that the guards weren't passing it back out to Bonner like they did in the regular season. At least that's the impression I got.

Solid D
04-26-2011, 07:06 PM
in slight defense of Bonner, he had several open looks in games 1-3 where he never even received the pass.

I'm reasonably confident that it wouldn't have made a difference with Bonner's proven playoff reputation, but I have to be fair and say that the guards weren't passing it back out to Bonner like they did in the regular season. At least that's the impression I got.

Not to mention the careless or tipped passes that cannot be caught in the "ready" position.

Chomag
04-26-2011, 07:09 PM

I have noticed that as well, it might a trust thing from Bonner's playoff reputation mixed in with the combination of him just shooting 27% on 3's in this series.

SenorSpur
04-26-2011, 07:53 PM
It's not rocket science, it's about match-ups, and for Bonner to be a match-up problem for the Grizz he has to hit shots he has to get himself open and Bonner has some good looks which he has passed up which has really ticked me off. The other problem is that Bonner, Neal, and Jefferson have been wide open at times but either Tony, Manu or HIll have just not passed them the ball, in the case of Neal it has led him to keep the ball when he does get it and make bad selections from the frustrations of not getting the ball in his spots. So it's just not about Bonner and really 3 of the 4 games have gone down to the wire, so it's not like the Griz are killing us, last night was just one of those nights. The bottom line is our guards have to play smarter to offset our lack of size.

Steller points :toast

The star players (Tony and Manu) really don't trust anyone but themselves. TD continues to seek setting up others for plays because he can no longer consistently make plays for himself. The lack of ball movement has been atrocious, and the lack of trust that was displayed during the regular season has been evident.

4down
04-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Water is wet...

And let me add that Horry would take the 3 pointer no matter who closed on him, especially a shorter guard...

This.

The penchant for overpassing has seemingly infected everyone. The Grizzlies are playing solid D, but part of the problem is thinking too much to "share the ball" or to pass the ball to the other side of the court to try and work the defense. It becomes predictable. I wish the offense would attack the rim more. Except for Matt Bonner. Why the shooters have been taught to fake the three for the dribble drive 65% of the time is beyond me. Shooters gotta shoot.

kuato
04-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Steller points :toast

The star players (Tony and Manu) really don't trust anyone but themselves. TD continues to seek setting up others for plays because he can no longer consistently make plays for himself. The lack of ball movement has been atrocious, and the lack of trust that was displayed during the regular season has been evident.

Manu doesn't trust anyone ? , he constantly feeds his teammates with expectacular assits , wtf are you talking about ?

SenorSpur
04-26-2011, 09:45 PM
Manu doesn't trust anyone ? , he constantly feeds his teammates with expectacular assits , wtf are you talking about ?

Sure he sets guys up, but he knows that he is the team's only playmaker. Thus he has a tendency to force plays and take ill-advised shots, simply because he knows it's up to him to make plays. That's what the fuck I'm talking about. Watch the damn games, open your eyes or both.

I can't say I fault Manu. If it were not for him, the Spurs would've never won Game 2.

Overall, the team has cratered in the playoffs, they've stopped moving the ball and guys like Hill, RJ and Bonner have been scared shitless.

Sean Cagney
04-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Again, this is not to pick on Bonner. It’s a lot to ask of him to guard a quick athlete like Arthur, and it’s obviously asking too much to have him guard Gasol; there’s a reason the Grizzlies have scored a whopping 118.3 points per 100 possessions with Bonner on the floor and just 102 points per 100 possessions when Bonner sits.

^^^^^^^^^
Where is CHAZLEY since he is so much into stats and +/- most of the times? That one is TELLING RIGHT THERE, just deads any argument.

He should have been gone after last year, period.

Cessation
04-26-2011, 11:23 PM
lol dumbass troll chazley nowhere to be found

itzsoweezee
04-27-2011, 12:07 AM
This is exactly why I said the whole concept of "stretching the floor" is a myth. The opposition can guard Bonner with ANYONE. There is no "stretch" because the big man does not have to guard Bonner on the perimeter. A fucking point guard can handle it.

Stupid gimmick shit like this never works in the playoffs. The worst part is, it didn't have to be like this. The Spurs could've been a great team without being so Bonner-centric.

DMC
04-27-2011, 12:28 AM
How many "one of those nights" can you have? Hell, we could use that excuse for the Cavs and the Nets as well, right?

These games shouldn't be close. The Spurs should be destroying these teams. Why do people act like, because the games are "close", it's a toss up who wins and it's all about a bad bounces?

Wake up folks, this is the Spurs now. It's not Bonner's fault at all, the guy struggles as much as anyone else on the floor, but he does not have the ability to do what he's being asked to do. Why Pop thinks he does is beyond me.

Sure, if Manu didn't have a hurt arm or if Hill played better or if Duncan made all this FTs or if Parker was more successful on his drives in the paint, maybe some of that would hide the fact that Bonner sucks, but the fact would still exist. Shitty players exist on great teams. That doesn't change just because the player isn't repeatedly exposed on national television. Compensation for Bonner doesn't equate to Bonner being better than he's being labeled as being.

Again, no one is blaming Bonner. A person cannot be at fault when he's being paid millions by people who've already seen what he's got in crunch situations. Hell, anyone here would go out there and get dominated on TV for that money. Still, it's a real problem and unless the Spurs find some way to use Bonner better by removing him from these defensive assignments (meaning someone else will have to do the work), Bonner is going to continue to look like an ass clown.

I don't get why some here are pointing in other areas, the glaring weakness is Bonner.

Let's say Bonner played great defense but doinked his threes. He makes up for his lack of offense on defense. Let's say he sucks on defense but rains threes. He's countering the offense and his time on the floor is productive perhaps. When he cannot hit a three because it takes him 3 seconds to get a shot off, and when he does he misses, that doesn't spread the floor and so now Tony cannot drive the lane, Tim cannot work the post and no one can get anything going. Couple that with the fact that they work the shit out of the guy on the other end by attacking him relentlessly and his offense gets even worse. When Bonner is sweating and breathing hard, you know his offense is really in trouble.

The guy is a double liablity. It would almost be better if he wasn't even on the floor and we played 4 on 5.

DMC
04-27-2011, 12:33 AM
Jefferson is a turd as well. He's fucking pathetic because unlike Bonner, he has ability he's just too much of a faggot to use it.

Sean Cagney
04-27-2011, 12:45 AM
Jefferson is a turd as well. He's fucking pathetic because unlike Bonner, he has ability he's just too much of a faggot to use it.

YES RJ is just a damn pussy......

der Kaiser
04-27-2011, 01:07 AM
Do the Spurs have a weight room? I mean goddamn the least Bonner can do is beef himself up and be a mediocre post defender. A dude that big that is so one dimensional offensively should at least work on his D.

xellos88330
04-27-2011, 03:30 AM
I was always wondering why Bonner has never developed a post game. It is just baffling that you are 6'10" and cannot take a guy smaller and lighter than you into the low block. Now that I think about it. Has anyone ever seen Bonner post up someone?

TJastal
04-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Add in the fact (as someone else mentioned) that the grizz are routinely switching point guards onto Boner and packing the paint with size. You better believe other teams are noticing this and next year will be incorporating this strategy as well and gone will be the days of Boner getting wide open looks and leading the league in 3pt%.