PDA

View Full Version : It looks like TD is done

The ADMIRAL 50
04-26-2011, 02:39 PM
It pains me to say it, but Tim is done. He's the greatest player in our franchise's history, 2x MVP, 3x Finals MVP, 4x Champion, but he's just not Tim Duncan anymore. That said, I'm not convinced we're done in this series, as long as we're alive I'll have hope, but man, watching Marc fucking Gasol shit all over Tim is as low as it gets. I thought that second round sweep was bad last year, but we were a seven seed, this is entirely different. Nonetheless, that was when I first admitted to myself that Tim wasn't Tim anymore; that Suns matchup was perfect for him. He was matched up against the worthless Collins or the allergic to defense Amare and he just couldnt get it done. Going into that series I honestly though Tim was gonna carry us considering the circumstances, and his knees just weren't there. And now? Sure the refs are helping him out, but Gasol looks like an All Star. When Tony was off to that great start last night Pop, in one of many inexplicable moves, started going to Tim in the post to start that second quarter and he was simply shut down (oh yeah and we never ran the offense through Tony again for the rest of the game? despite him being the only player playing well on that end?). 6 points in a must win playoff game on his 35th birthday? Thats not the Tim Duncan we're used to seeing, and not the Tim Duncan thats gonna help lead us to another ring. Honestly, and I never thought I'd be saying this, but I could see Tim hanging it up this summer. If he's getting abused in the playoffs by Pau's little brother than whats the point? That said I really hope he doesnt, his per minute numbers were still great this year, amazing considering it all even (in the playoffs not so much though), and a lockout could be just the thing to save us. I mean think about it, would a shortened season not play into our ancient hands perfectly? Thats something I'm surprised I havent seen come up yet on here, but regardless, if Tim can't get things going in the first round of the playoffs then it looks like our run really could be over after all.

ginobili fan
04-26-2011, 02:46 PM
I guess he'll seat next to Dave next year at the AT&T center.

DJ Mbenga
04-26-2011, 02:51 PM
he's still good but cant carry a team. many contenders would fight over themselves to have him. i think he'l just stay and retire with 4

Horry For 3!
04-26-2011, 02:52 PM
I guess he'll seat next to Dave next year at the AT&T center.

He still has 1 year left on his contract, he said he was going to play out his contract then retire.

Spurtacus
04-26-2011, 02:53 PM
He will retire in the Virgin Islands.

ginobili fan
04-26-2011, 02:54 PM
RIP TIM you were the greatest.

The ADMIRAL 50
04-26-2011, 02:54 PM
lockout people, lockout. tim will only have to play 50, 60 games at <25 min a night then one last go of it in the playoffs, one last chance for number 5...if we dont get it this year.

thats the best master plan i've got right now.

SenorSpur
04-26-2011, 02:58 PM
It also pains me to say this, but the Spurs are in such dire straits for immediate upgrades to their frontline, that TD cannot an should not be counted on as a starter next year. He should instead be a backup big man. I realize this is sacrilege to suggest, but it will be more important to this franchise to, not only inject the roster with a trio of young frontcourt players, but to also ensure they get valuable court time - even if that comes at the expense of their future HOF power forward.

If the Spurs FO and coaches are being honest with themselves, then they must make the decision to go young, play young and live with the results or consequences.

TampaDude
04-26-2011, 02:59 PM
lockout people, lockout. tim will only have to play 50, 60 games at <25 min a night then one last go of it in the playoffs, one last chance for number 5...if we dont get it this year.

thats the best master plan i've got right now.

Heh...just like 1999...Spurs would win it all for sure!!! :hat

Cane
04-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Duncan almost got away with a healthy season this year. Unfortunately he hurt his ankle towards the end, didn't have much time to heal, and then tweaked it again in the series. The Spurs went into a nosedive when Duncan was out in the regular season as well. Before he tweaked it for the second time he was dunking like it was 1999 (exaggeration but you get the point).

He's still one of the better overall bigs in the league and has posted up some decent numbers earlier in the series. But in the past few seasons he's clearly been at the Kobe Bryant/KG stage of his career where he needs one hell of a team with supporting players that rivals his own impact in order to win in the playoffs. The Lakers/Celtics of the past few years have been on another level of talent and fit than the rest of the league.

Watching Marc Gasol light up Duncan in Game 1 was one hell of a omen of things to come in the series.

Chomag
04-26-2011, 03:00 PM
At this stage Timmy needed a Robinson just as Robinson needed a Timmy. Sadly the FO thought they could ignore this issue and win on a gimmick.

LongtimeSpursFan
04-26-2011, 03:05 PM
At this stage Timmy needed a Robinson just as Robinson needed a Timmy. Sadly the FO thought they could ignore this issue and win on a gimmick.

Could you tell me which possible center was out there that we could acquire with our cap restraints? Every team would like to have a talented big on their team but those are far and few. We made a move in '07 for Splitter but he elected to sign somewhere else. Perhaps had he been able to get here earlier things may have been different.

DesignatedT
04-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Lol at people declaring him done. Are you people serious? The guy is still a good player and can help a team win a championship. He is just as good if not better then Garnett right now but he just doesn't have the help KG does. Duncan can't lead a team anymore and that should be obvious at this point (he's 35 years old) but the problem is there is nobody on this Spurs team that can step in a lead them to victory.. If you are declaring Duncan done then you better be declaring Manu done... because they are both in the same boat. Great players who can't do it on there own anymore.

DesignatedT
04-26-2011, 03:12 PM

I definitely agree but Duncan at 35 years old >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Robinson at 35 years old so declaring him "done" is just retarded. TD is still a great player as of right now. Can he lead a team to a championship ? Of course not, that ship sailed 2 years ago but that doesn't mean he is done.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Man there was a telling moment last night when Gasol ripped the ball off his hands on the rebound and scored. I had never seen someone do that to Tim that way.

Spurtacus
04-26-2011, 03:16 PM
Duncan almost got away with a healthy season this year. Unfortunately he hurt his ankle towards the end, didn't have much time to heal, and then tweaked it again in the series. The Spurs went into a nosedive when Duncan was out in the regular season as well. Before he tweaked it for the second time he was dunking like it was 1999 (exaggeration but you get the point).

He's still one of the better overall bigs in the league and has posted up some decent numbers earlier in the series. But in the past few seasons he's clearly been at the Kobe Bryant/KG stage of his career where he needs one hell of a team with supporting players that rivals his own impact in order to win in the playoffs. The Lakers/Celtics of the past few years have been on another level of talent and fit than the rest of the league.

Watching Marc Gasol light up Duncan in Game 1 was one hell of a omen of things to come in the series.

Ankle injury seems like ages ago but it isn't. He isn't fully recovered from it and it shows.

For once I wish we could be fully healthy with our big 3 in a series. A healthy Duncan and Ginobili means we would be up 3-1.

Chomag
04-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Could you tell me which possible center was out there that we could acquire with our cap restraints? Every team would like to have a talented big on their team but those are far and few. We made a move in '07 for Splitter but he elected to sign somewhere else. Perhaps had he been able to get here earlier things may have been different.

Maybe it could have been Splitter had there been more invested time put into him, thats just something we don't know for sure now, but evidence shows that Splitter has the talent to be a good addition. Spurs didn't need an all-star in that position along side with timmy, just someone that can make an impact and help him defend the paint.

Tim just can't do it all himself anymore, and it's wearing down his career faster then it should. Getting him this help should have been a priority if they want to pre-long his career.

PDXSpursFan
04-26-2011, 03:17 PM
The Spurs organization wasted the last productive years of TD by not acquiring a true starter-quality 7-foot center to put next to him.

Chomag
04-26-2011, 03:21 PM
I definitely agree but Duncan at 35 years old >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Robinson at 35 years old so declaring him "done" is just retarded. TD is still a great player as of right now. Can he lead a team to a championship ? Of course not, that ship sailed 2 years ago but that doesn't mean he is done.

I don't think he is done either, but him not having the needed help is wearing him down and making him look older then he is.

4>0rings
04-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Ducan is still good for double doubles. He's just not a first option or second option anymore. If he can be staisfied with rebounding and defense, he's far from done.

Sigz
04-26-2011, 04:07 PM
Duncan looks pathetic.

Sad to say, but the guy can't get it done anymore. He looked so pathetic and helpless going up against Gasol; or any persons with length for that matter.

Kuestmaster
04-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Duncan right now should be in Robinson's 2003 stage. But DRob had in Timmy the best player on the planet besides him, a youngs TP and Manu, SJax and Bowen. Robinson didn't have to carry the load the way Timmy has to do it now. He has been arguably the 2nd best player in this playoffs for us. DRob didn't need to.

We are demanding too much for a 35 year old Duncan the way his knees are right now. He is the best PF ever, but father time streaks on everyone...

DesignatedT
04-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Duncan looks pathetic.

Sad to say, but the guy can't get it done anymore. He looked so pathetic and helpless going up against Gasol; or any persons with length for that matter.

:lmao you're pathetic. You don't think that just maybe you might be expecting too much out of our 35 year old center who is down there by himself? Why don't you take a look around the league and tell me what other 35 year olds are doing....

pathetic :lmao gtfo

NewcastleKEG
04-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Let me just say, I was very excited for you guys when you drafted Blair but no way in hell did I think he would be your 2nd best post player.

Bonner and McDyess? Come on you don't have LeBron James & Wade

Mugen
04-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Duncan would look just fine next to Scola or another certain Euroleague MVP.

You're asking a lot out of a 35 year old with bad knees to carry scrubs like Bonner/Blair and old men like Dice against the frontcourts the West has to offer.

Great job front office.

NewcastleKEG
04-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Celtics: KG, Davis, 2 Oneil's
Bulls: Boozer, Noah, Gibson, and Thomas
Lakers: Gasol, Bynum and Odom
Thunder: Perkins, Ibaka, Muhammod and Collison

You dont have the size AND on top of that your guards/forwards aren't tough anyway. Spurs are essentially an old finesse team

Thomas82
04-26-2011, 04:38 PM

Maybe it could have been Splitter had there been more invested time put into him, thats just something we don't know for sure now, but evidence shows that Splitter has the talent to be a good addition. Spurs didn't need an all-star in that position along side with timmy, just someone that can make an impact and help him defend the paint.

Tim just can't do it all himself anymore, and it's wearing down his career faster then it should. Getting him this help should have been a priority if they want to pre-long his career.

The Spurs organization wasted the last productive years of TD by not acquiring a true starter-quality 7-foot center to put next to him.

I don't think he is done either, but him not having the needed help is wearing him down and making him look older then he is.

Duncan right now should be in Robinson's 2003 stage. But DRob had in Timmy the best player on the planet besides him, a youngs TP and Manu, SJax and Bowen. Robinson didn't have to carry the load the way Timmy has to do it now. He has been arguably the 2nd best player in this playoffs for us. DRob didn't need to.

We are demanding too much for a 35 year old Duncan the way his knees are right now. He is the best PF ever, but father time streaks on everyone...

You're asking a lot out of a 35 year old with bad knees to carry scrubs like Bonner/Blair and old men like Dice against the frontcourts the West has to offer.

Great job front office.

All of these are 100% on point. The front office definitely has not done all they could to maximize the team's title chances during the Tim Duncan era.

DesignatedT
04-26-2011, 04:44 PM

Great job front office.

Splitter or even Scola probably wouldn't even be enough help for Duncan at this point. The FO decided to go into a different direction when they should have done everything possible to pair an all-star caliber proven big with size next to Duncan instead of trading for a wing like RJ. The Spurs finally decided that they needed to go over the cap and were willing to spend big money but blew it all by trading for a guy like RJ instead of another big of the same caliber.

NewcastleKEG
04-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Splitter or even Scola probably wouldn't even be enough help for Duncan at this point. The FO decided to go into a different direction when they should have done everything possible to pair an all-star caliber proven big with size next to Duncan instead of trading for a wing like RJ. The Spurs finally decided that they needed to go over the cap and were willing to spend big money but blew it all by trading for a guy like RJ instead of another big of the same caliber.
Exactly right. Retrospect you don't deal for Jefferson and instead sign a Chandler or even freaking Marcus Camby.

There were so many decent SF's available this trade deadline. Brewer or Murphy for free and Wallace for not a very high price at all

TDMVPDPOY
04-26-2011, 05:16 PM
barng a lockout, i doubt he retires..still has 22m remainin on his contract :D

Thomas82
04-26-2011, 05:35 PM

Exactly....they were on the right track, but on the wrong train!!

Agloco
04-26-2011, 06:06 PM

TDMVPDPOY
04-26-2011, 06:11 PM
if only timmay still had his bankshot and jumper, then this series would be different, its like they are challenging him to shoot while his lookin to get inside :(

timtonymanu
04-26-2011, 06:11 PM
TD may look done, but he still has 20 times more the heart than the rest of the team. I don't blame anything on Timmy. The front office gave him no help over the years.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-26-2011, 09:01 PM
And for all yall mothafuckin bitches thats been talking about TD on a blog....real posters don't talk shit about TD on a blog.

Yall hos.

and hos talk shit.

SpursTalk know who the real mothafuckin Ice Cream Man is.

Cuz broke bitches talk shit...I could never talk about TD on a blog

ya'heard?

San Antonio Spurs for life

TDfan2007
04-27-2011, 12:15 AM
In game one he went 8-13

In game two he went 7-12 including two big 4th quarter baskets

He can still do it, he just doesn't get the ball enough. Our offense has almost completely forgotten about him. 3-7 shooting from your 35 year-old big man isn't bad. He just needs more touches.

It's been touched on before, but Tim is a rhythm player and needs to see the ball more in order to develop such a rhythm.

But no, fuck feeding Timmy. By all means let's keep tossing the ball to RJ and hoping he won't suck. Let's watch Neal and Hill miss bad shot after bad shot. Ridiculous.

mavsfan1000
04-27-2011, 01:16 AM
Yep all great players eventually will decline.

Jelloisjigglin
04-27-2011, 01:20 AM
I'm sure he'll retire in the most classy of ways.

polandprzem
04-27-2011, 01:29 AM
He is not Malone or Hakeem who at his age were still great

And can you remember it was a talk that he is so fundamental that his career will last up to 40 like Kareems

nope

Frenzy
04-27-2011, 01:33 AM
And for all yall mothafuckin bitches thats been talking about TD on a blog....real posters don't talk shit about TD on a blog.

Yall hos.

and hos talk shit.

SpursTalk know who the real mothafuckin Ice Cream Man is.

Cuz broke bitches talk shit...I could never talk about TD on a blog

ya'heard?

San Antonio Spurs for life

http://www.movieforums.com/images/main/300_main.jpg

TDfan2007
04-27-2011, 02:17 AM
He is not Malone or Hakeem who at his age were still great

And can you remember it was a talk that he is so fundamental that his career will last up to 40 like Kareems

nope

Tendinosis is a bitch.

polandprzem
04-27-2011, 02:44 AM
Tendinosis is a bitch.

Yup

but I know more bitches then just that one.

20beastie45
04-27-2011, 02:48 AM
Timmy is not done! He just needs help!