PDA

View Full Version : What players do you still want to have in 2012?

4>0rings
04-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Tim - Can still defend, can still rebound, really good 3rd option to have

Manu - This man is just too good when he is not injured, I'd keep taking a gamble with him as long as when he plays it's at a high level

Parker - Bad series, regular season MVP for the Spurs. Not sure if this team needs a score or pass PG.

Neal - Bad series, fearless and a 3pt threat.

Splitter - He's 7' and we haven't seen enough playing time to really determine if he's a fit.

Everyone else can kick rocks.

TacoCabanaFajitas
04-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Do the right thing and Trade Manu and Tim to contenders if they want to go. Ship TP out as well, this core has given us great years and memories, but they have reached their end, and a contender looking for the final piece can use Duncan on D and Manu at 20 minutes a game and as a closer, plus we can still get solid prospects out of trading them. Neal, Blair, Splitter, and maybe Hill I would like to see return. Get another big man that can score and defend at an average level, a passing PG, a solid perimeter defender and fill out the roster with whatever until we can get higher in the lottery and hopefully find another star. We were lucky to see 4 titles, I've never even seen my Royals make the playoffs since I've been alive, or seen the Chiefs win a fucking playoff game. I'll be watching tomorrows game, hopefully it isn't the last time we see the Big 3 together this season, if any team can compose itself and look inward at what they are doing wrong it's this group of guys. If they go down, I hope they go down fighting

Cane
04-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Duncan and Manu - If they're healthy they're some of the best of their position

Neal, Splitter - Good value, veteran rookies, decent age, potential to improve

Shop Parker around since he might get worthwhile trade proposals in return. Not a fan of the Eva fiasco but I am a fan of the contract the Spurs gave him. Shop the rest of the guys around as well.

fyatuk
04-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Outside the big 3 (with Parker being the only one I'd even consider trading), I'd want Hill, Neal, Anderson, and Splitter back. Blair I could go either way on.

Bonner and RJ need to get chopped. Or at least one of them does.

Kuestmaster
04-26-2011, 04:03 PM
If Tim and Manu don't ask for a trade I'd never ship them out

The rest... listen offers for all of them except for Splitter and Neal maybe, good young players with low contracts.

nkdlunch
04-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Duncan, Manu - cause they wanna retire Spurs.

that's pretty much it.

LnGrrrR
04-26-2011, 04:36 PM
I thought Dejuan Blair was a Spurs fan favorite?

baseline bum
04-26-2011, 04:39 PM
I just don't think there is another year in the team. They came out pissed this year and played balls out after the disappointment of 2010, but, as March and beyond have shown, the Spurs are now in a no-man's land of being a first round team with a second round ceiling whose core is declining fast. The only reason not to completely blow the team up is because Tim doesn't deserve to be stuck in a rebuilding effort. I think it needs to be done though.

Tony and Tiago have good value going forward, but of course make them available if someone offers a really nice package. Hill and Blair are talented players who I think can be counted on to be decent role players going ahead.

Go in the lotto this next year and maybe pick up a talented young forward like Anthony Davis, Harrison Barnes, Michael Gilchrist, James McAdoo, Jared Sullinger, or Perry Jones or maybe a promising guard like Austin Rivers. The 2013 draft has some promising bigman prospects with Andre Drummond, Dajuan Coleman, and Isaiah Austin, but of course that's a long way off and who knows how many of these guys live up to the hype. I'd like the team to be drafting high in each of the two drafts after this season's.

I just don't want to pass up having a good 2012 pick when there isn't a lot to gain by bringing the team back next season. The Spurs could really get a nice player in what looks like it could be another 2008-level draft (the one with Rose, Beasley, Mayo, Westbrook, Love, Gallinari, Gordon, Lopez, Hibbert, McGee, Ibaka, Batum, Hill, Jordan, and Dragic). I think Manu still has enough left in the tank to get a nice young player in exchange for him.

If there's one thing you can give credit to Stern for, it's that a small market can build a title contender with smart moves. The Spurs proved it over the past 15 years and now the Thunder are doing the same. While Tim Duncans and Kevin Durants don't come around that often in the draft, this front office has shown the ability to get tremendous value with picks like Parker, Ginobili, Hill, Blair, and Giricek. The Spurs won't be a title contender without landing the next Duncan (or Durant), but they can be a good playoff team with some upside again in a few years if their trend with the draft can hold up.

I don't want to see the front office just kick the can down the road; it's getting near time to build a new Spurs team from the ashes of this incredible one that has given us fans so much. I do hope to keep Pop, as has consistently developed young players who no one gave much of a chance to do much: think Malik Rose, Tony Parker, Stephen Jackson, and George Hill.

Kuestmaster
04-26-2011, 04:41 PM
I thought Dejuan Blair was a Spurs fan favorite?

Calling him Beast may be one of the greatest fails ever. Good bench player, not starting material, weak minded and tradeable 100%.

Thompson
04-26-2011, 04:43 PM
Check with Duncan, Manu and Parker to see what they want to do. There's probably not a real chance of winning more titles here (unless Ryan Richards is Wilt 2.0), so see if they want to go somewhere they can win more. If they do, trade them for picks. Rebuild like the Thunder did. Trade everyone except for maybe those whose value is unclear (Splitter, James Anderson, Ryan Richards).

See if you can trick some idiot into taking Jefferson off our hands (maybe he'll play better in another system). Bonner might not actually be a hard sell since he had the best 3-point percentage in the regular season this year.

Kuestmaster
04-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Bonner might not actually be a hard sell since he had the best 3-point percentage in the regular season this year. :lol :lol

you know Bonner will be here as long as Pop is our coach. :bang

vander
04-26-2011, 04:49 PM
Blair
Splitter
Hill
Neal...

... and Bonner...

... and Anderson I guess...

... and TD if he signs for about 3 mill/year or less

Thompson
04-26-2011, 04:50 PM
:lol :lol

you know Bonner will be here as long as Pop is our coach. :bang

I know how to solve that problem also.

baseline bum
04-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Check with Duncan, Manu and Parker to see what they want to do. There's probably not a real chance of winning more titles here (unless Ryan Richards is Wilt 2.0), so see if they want to go somewhere they can win more. If they do, trade them for picks. Rebuild like the Thunder did. Trade everyone except for maybe those whose value is unclear (Splitter, James Anderson, Ryan Richards).

See if you can trick some idiot into taking Jefferson off our hands (maybe he'll play better in another system). Bonner might not actually be a hard sell since he had the best 3-point percentage in the regular season this year.

Moving Jefferson or Bonner would be really bad, as the Spurs would almost certainly have to give up a good player to get someone to take those ridiculous contracts.

Thompson
04-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Moving Jefferson or Bonner would be really bad, as the Spurs would almost certainly have to give up a good player to get someone to take those ridiculous contracts.

Jefferson, probably. Bonner's contract, you never know. It's not completely outrageous (unless you watch Bonner play every night as a Spurs fan). I can see some other GM who doesn't watch all that much see a 6' 10" 3-point-shooting league leader (percentage-wise) decide to take him.

Jefferson is probably not movable unless New York brings back Isaiah Thomas. You never know (though I would definitely not sacrifice anything to get rid of Jefferson; it will take a number of years to rebuild anyway, and his contract will expire right around the time we need to start adding free agents in 3-4 years).

Mugen
04-26-2011, 05:14 PM
-Manu/Duncan deserve to retire as Spurs. I don't see them requesting trades to have a better chance of winning somewhere else.
-TP is still our best trading asset. It's pretty obvious he's a second tier PG in the league but he's still a pretty damn good player. I'd keep him unless someone offered a home run deal.
-Young Guys (Tiago/Neal/Green/JA/Butler). I'd like to seem them all stick around and see what they can do. I think they all have a good amount of upside.
-Dice is welcomed back in the 4th/5th big role and as a mentor.

-RJ/Hill/Bonner/Blair. If anybody offers even close to equal value (:lmao) for these guys then pull the trigger. If these guys are still Spurs by this time next year then turn the gun around and still pull the trigger.

Pop has clearly lost it. But he isn't going anywhere so what's the point.

elemento
04-26-2011, 05:18 PM
I want everyone except for RJ and Bonner

vander
04-26-2011, 05:24 PM
I want everyone except for RJ and Bonner

so you want to continue to lose in the first round?

weird thing to root for

lmbebo
04-26-2011, 05:35 PM
I'm willing to off load
1) RJ
2) Bonner
3) Blair
4) GHill
5) Neal
6) Splitter
7) TP
8) McDyess - I think he retires though.

Rest are either rookies or free agents. Doesn't really matter.

I'm not saying blow up the team, but as constructed, we are not going to go far in the playoffs.

I'd say start rebuilding, but trading TD and Manu would be horrible.

Thompson
04-26-2011, 05:45 PM
I'd say start rebuilding, but trading TD and Manu would be horrible.

So would watching them play their hearts out for a 40-win team, especially since their presence would only prolong the length of time until the next generation can take over (they'll make us just good enough to avoid great draft picks, but not good enough for the playoffs), and trading them might net us some decent picks.

If they want to stay, they've earned the right to retire here. If they want a chance to win, though, I wouldn't blame them. Trade them for picks. There's not going to be a happy ending this time; Duncan's not going out with a championship like Robinson did.

timtonymanu
04-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Absolutely have to go: RJ, Bonner
Have to go: Blair, Hill (These two were suppose to be our future leaders but they both look like they rather take a backseat.)

Stay: Tim, Manu, TP (all deserve to retire here)
Keep for the future: Splitter, Neal, Anderson (it's a start keeping these guys. They at least have a competitive nature in them)

Butler and Green are interesting prospects as well. Ryan Richards too. It's time to revamp our roster. I hope Pop doesn't go the usual route and bring everyone back again.

TDMVPDPOY
04-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Absolutely have to go: RJ, Bonner
Have to go: Blair, Hill (These two were suppose to be our future leaders but they both look like they rather take a backseat.)

Stay: Tim, Manu, TP (all deserve to retire here)
Keep for the future: Splitter, Neal, Anderson (it's a start keeping these guys. They at least have a competitive nature in them)

Butler and Green are interesting prospects as well. Ryan Richards too. It's time to revamp our roster. I hope Pop doesn't go the usual route and bring everyone back again.

tony parker would get us something in a trade

gino and duncan both 1 year remaining, whose willing to bite the contracts to shed salary, or are we also sheding salary...

ryan richards looks like a busts to me, dude played against scrubs in england man all undersized opponents...what we need is tall bigs jumping jacks like the one of the pacers frontline...

i think holt and holders and going to go back to the cheap tite arse days instead of going all in for the last season which mounted to shitty first round exits

Agloco
04-26-2011, 06:10 PM
Tim - Can still defend, can still rebound, really good 3rd option to have

Manu - This man is just too good when he is not injured, I'd keep taking a gamble with him as long as when he plays it's at a high level

Parker - Bad series, regular season MVP for the Spurs. Not sure if this team needs a score or pass PG.

Neal - Bad series, fearless and a 3pt threat.

Splitter - He's 7' and we haven't seen enough playing time to really determine if he's a fit.

Everyone else can kick rocks.

Neal, Anderson, Splitter, Parker, Manu, Timmy. The rest are fair game IMO.

spizzle_tronk
04-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Richard Jefferson
Matt Bonner

Sisk
04-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Lol at anyone saying trade Parker. Just retarded.

beirmeistr
04-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Absolute keepers---Duncan, Ginobili, Neal, Hill, Anderson.
Get rid of Jefferson, Bonner
Keep Dice for the end of the bench if he still wants to play, cheap contract.
keep Splitter to see how he develops.
Trade Parker while he has value---he does not bleed Spurs
Remove Popovich

TDMVPDPOY
04-26-2011, 06:21 PM
the problem with neal atm, why is his game starting to look like roger mason v2.o

we want you to shoot the 3, not penetrate for a closer shot, we know you can hit the midrange and close shots, but his been doing alot of that lately and the run down the 3pt line and chuck up a nve shot.... :(

RJ fkn robbed us with a dildo without even tryin

Bukefal
04-26-2011, 06:23 PM
Man, I want the big 3 to stay and retire here. Not just Timmy and Manu, but Parker too.

But by now I would not mind it anymore if Parker was to go somewhere else, just because of the fact I hope he will find some team where he will get the respect he deserves instead of what he got here.

Assman
04-26-2011, 06:26 PM
I'm surprised so many of you are already giving up on Hill.

TE
04-26-2011, 06:46 PM
Damn, so many posters on here ready to just trade away this core. It ain't over yet, chill the fuck out.

vander
04-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Damn, so many posters on here ready to just trade away this core. It ain't over yet, chill the fuck out.

it's been over for years, wake up

BackHome
04-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Keep Duncan and Manu I would only trade Tony "Top 5 draft pick + player" if we got a realy sweet deal. As far as who needs to go I would have to say with the West getting bigger it would be Bonner, Hill who once again sucked just like Bonner, and Blair who I like but it just to short for the West. You can add Jefferson who while did better this year can not create his own shot which kiinda sucks in a half courts offense.

I would keep Anderson because he has legit height and was playing pretty decent until the injury. I would keep Splitter cause finding seven footers ain't easy and I would keep that new kid they just signed. Other then that do a fire sale.....

As far as what we need well if we keep Tony we need a backup pg, we need to let Bonner and Blair go and I still like Scola. I would love though to get some sign that Griffin would be willing to go somewhere else then LA or LAC.......I know a pipe dream.....

Avitus1
04-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Keep:
Tim, the man is a legacy we owe it to him.
Manu, he's great when he's not injured.
Parker, pretty good season, bad playoffs.
Anderson, was promising before he got injured early in the season.
Neal, great find excellent off the bench
Splitter, will pan out with time
McDyess, keep for the purpose of coming off the bench.

Trade:
Bonner, Great at the 3 ball during the regular season and thats all.
Jefferson, overpaid
Quinn, Just sucks
Novak, Nothing against him just dont need another useless player

Not sure:
Blair, if we can get a decent big for him I'd be willing to let him go.
Hill, we could use a better backup PG but he's decent enough to keep around
Green, dude has shown some promise but not enough if we can trade him for something better.
Pops, better days behind him but maybe is worth keeping around

le13
04-26-2011, 07:56 PM
Just trade fucking spurs fans:hat

There is no support from them for this team.
:flag:

TDMVPDPOY
04-26-2011, 08:04 PM
how about a change in coaches

Gervin44Silas13
04-27-2011, 06:56 AM
Just rebulid.........!

dunkman
04-27-2011, 08:28 AM
The problem with Pop is that his system is so complicated, that the Spurs are forced to prioritize "corporate knowledge" over talent. Bonner and RJ get great +/- stats, but for some reason the Spurs aren't winning, so there is something broken there.

One of the problems is the offensive production. When the jumper isn't falling, the Spurs are limited in options. It's Manu and Hill that are efficient and Parker who's a volume shooter. RJ doesn't drive aggressively, Splitter doesn't play. Duncan is an average offensive player at this point. Blair gets blocked, Bonner lacks speed and athleticism and Dice can't create anymore. Neal got his game studied better for playoffs, and he isn't creating anymore. But all of this could be solved with a pass first PG, capable of protecting the ball. Parker and Hill are more SG's than PG's. The Spurs must sign an proven clutch shooter. Some trade to get an all-star big would help greatly.

The other detail is defense. What's killing the Spurs in this series, aren't actually the Grizzlies bigs, they aren't doing too much damage since game 2 and the Spurs never got outrebounded. Since game 2, the problem is perimeter defense. Both, the Grizzlies starters and reserves are killing the Spurs from the perimeter. They drive without fear as soon the Spurs play with Bonner or Blair. And Hill, RJ and Manu can't do enough to prevent them driving or taking bad jumper attempts. An wing defender is a must.

There are other deficiencies. For example, game 1 was won, but the Spurs didn't close it out. Why were Manu and Duncan playing the last regular season game? Why didn't Pop called a timeout in game 3?

The Spurs have the talent to get this series going, one game at the time. The question is if they have the hearth to do it, also if Pop can get more focused. The Spurs need leadership right now, they must show some pride to get out of the 1:3 hole.

TJastal
04-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Problem is, nobody is going to touch Boner or Dick's conttracts esp after seeing their pathetic playoff showing.

Maybe NJ would trade Deron Williams for Parker + draft picks + or .. *sigh* Splitter. Williams is a legit franchise player.

Agloco
04-27-2011, 08:50 AM
Problem is, nobody is going to touch Boner or Dick's conttracts esp after seeing their pathetic playoff showing.

Maybe NJ would trade Deron Williams for Parker + draft picks + or .. *sigh* Splitter. Williams is a legit franchise player.

NJ has already declared their intent to build a contender around D Will. He ain't going anywhere.