PDA

View Full Version : If only Timmy could play like this again

SinBAD
04-27-2011, 12:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR6AgYWdoBQ

I just fell in love with Duncan's game from the beginning, the great fundementals, footwork, bank shot.Will we ever see a PF this talented again?Probably not.

der Kaiser
04-27-2011, 01:16 AM
What happened to Duncan? Its not like the sonabitch relied on power to get his points. Duncan has always been a finesse guy with solid fundamentals, how has he been allowed to go scrub at his age. Kareem played at a higher level than Duncan when he was older than Duncan playing the same style as Duncan.

SinBAD
04-27-2011, 01:23 AM
What happened to Duncan? Its not like the sonabitch relied on power to get his points. Duncan has always been a finesse guy with solid fundamentals, how has he been allowed to go scrub at his age. Kareem played at a higher level than Duncan when he was older than Duncan playing the same style as Duncan.

I was thinking the same thing.I dont see anything in that 2003 video that he cant do now.Maybe he lost some lift but still I dont see why he cant play like that.He did in game 1 but thats it.

Proxy
04-27-2011, 01:31 AM

+2

I wonder what happened?

ElNono
04-27-2011, 01:35 AM
- He could play a lot more minutes
- He could jump a bit more
- He had David Robinson, Kevin Willis and Malik Rose (short but a banger) helping him defend inside
- He had Bruce Bowen to smother any hot perimeter player
- He had Steve Kerr, Stephen Jackson and rookie Manu who had the sack to take and make the shots when everything else failed
- In that series, he was guarded mostly by Horry and Medvedenko. Horry being tall, but not a banger, and Medvendenko being a scrub. He also didn't have to get spent guarding Shaq.

Tim just got older, slower, and surrounded by a good dose of pussycats. He STILL is our best defender inside, but the decline is obvious, and the toll it takes to be that kind of defender can be seen on the other end too.

Don't forget he looked great when the season started.

TE
04-27-2011, 01:40 AM
damn......................

Sean Cagney
04-27-2011, 02:02 AM
Man those days he was lights out! JUST flat out rediculous! He faded after that year by year, but that 03 was his apex, period!

TDfan2007
04-27-2011, 02:20 AM
I was thinking the same thing.I dont see anything in that 2003 video that he cant do now.Maybe he lost some lift but still I dont see why he cant play like that.He did in game 1 but thats it.

Tendinosis is a bitch.

TDfan2007
04-27-2011, 02:21 AM
Btw, thanks for the link. I'm going to favorite it just in case tomorrow night ends badly :depressed

TDfan2007
04-27-2011, 02:25 AM

Did you not see the spinning turnaround banker he hit over gasol in the 4th quarter of game 4, or the throw downs of game 1? He has it, but this team refuses to give him the ball.

When a guy takes 7 shots in a game, it's hard to score in double figures. Not sure what people don't understand about this. He still has the left handed hook, the turnarounds, the bank shot. He's got most of his game. He just doesn't have that quick first step or the lift necessary to finish some of the plays he used to finish.

lmbebo
04-27-2011, 05:46 AM
He had another 7 footer with him too. But he's like 70% of the player he was then. Still a great player in the league, but not a player who can put the team on his back when needed.

He doesn't command the double team as much these days.

Juggity
04-27-2011, 07:58 AM
Duncan looks so fast in that video, fast and spry. What a performance, just destroying prime shaq.

Nowadays, he looks like a typical big man, just lumbering around the court. Back then he had a lightness about him that you just don't see anymore.

lefty
04-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Big Men genereally don't age well compared to let's say, guards

Budkin
04-27-2011, 09:56 AM
That was one of the best nights ever to be a Spurs fan.

nkdlunch
04-27-2011, 09:57 AM
age. in basketball if you slow down a few milliseconds it affects greatlly. See MJ in the Wizards.

mingus
04-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Duncan could do those same moves (well, not ALL of them like the runner he did), but he can't do them as fast as he used to. And he may never have had lift, but what little he did have is not there anymore. Same with his first step. It's not noticeable to the naked eye so much, but those small fractions of second that he's lost in his movements make a huge difference, esp. to a guy that didn't really have much to begin with and needed ever bit he had. Also, have you ever tried playing basketball with sore knees? Or tendinitis? I've played with the former and it affects your shot dramatically. Duncan's gotta play with both.