PDA

View Full Version : Splitter on NBA.com front page

BRs.Ganso
04-27-2011, 12:22 PM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-nlslKYyhxdI/TbhPLYmLf7I/AAAAAAAAA38/BG9EUYLErk8/s912/TIAGONBA.JPG

SAN ANTONIO – Before Game 2 of the Spurs-Grizzlies series, a reporter asked San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich if rookie Tiago Splitter could get some playing time.
“Yeah,” cracked Popovich. “You could get some playing time, too.”
Maybe the members of the media should arrive for Game 5 on Wednesday with their ankles taped and their high-tops laced up.
With Antonio McDyess saddled with three personal fouls, Popovich went with Splitter at center to start the third quarter of Game 4 and he produced one of the few bright spots of the second half for the Spurs, getting 10 points and nine rebounds.
“I thought he was wonderful,” Popovich said. “I thought he did some good things out there.
“Antonio had three fouls and you need him at the end of the game to guard Zach (Randolph). We didn’t want to start Antonio for that reason.”
The 26-year-old Brazilian had seen mostly spot duty in 60 games during the regular season after he missed almost all of training camp and the preseason with a strained right plantaris muscle and never seemed to find his rhythm or a place in the rotation. But he’s excelled in the Euroleague and played in major international competitions with the Brazilian national team.
San Antonio fans had been clamoring for Splitter to get onto the floor ever since the Grizzlies’ big-man combination of Randolph and Marc Gasol had pushed the Spurs around in the series opener.
“As the series goes on, teams start making adjustments,” said Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins. “And sure enough, he comes out and is playing. I talked about him before what his game was and he played pretty decent for them. They decided to go with him and go bigger than (DeJuan) Blair.”
Trailing 3-1 in the series, the Spurs are desperate and Popovich is likely to try anything. So since Splitter wasn’t afraid to mix it up inside with the Grizzlies, maybe he’s a lifeline on the road back.
At this point, what could it hurt?

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/04/26/could-splitter-be-spurs-curve-ball/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

:lol:toast

Wilford Brimley
04-27-2011, 12:23 PM
4 games too late

Bartleby
04-27-2011, 12:25 PM
4 games too late

a lot more than that.

hater
04-27-2011, 12:29 PM
someone dropped the ball

boutons_deux
04-27-2011, 12:31 PM
one season too late. what a waste.

spurs50_
04-27-2011, 12:32 PM
thanks pop, what a horse's ass.

jeebus
04-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Pop needs a season to get over himself.

easy7
04-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Tiago, the new rookie Hill from the playoffs when it was too late...

Master splitter
04-27-2011, 12:39 PM
If he had played in game 1 this series would be even 2/2.

GrandeDavid
04-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Its never too late. In fact, there's a game tonight.

cantthinkofanything
04-27-2011, 01:27 PM
What pissed me off is that f'ing Reggie Miller and McHale were praising Pop for putting him in the other night. Making it seem like Pop was a genius.

hater
04-27-2011, 01:33 PM
sarcasm ^

Spurologist
04-27-2011, 01:38 PM
true that but they shied away from criticizing him ^

FailureNotAnOption
04-27-2011, 01:54 PM
09 debacle - Hill doesn't play serious minutes until Game 3 or 4 of that series against a team we needed perimeter scoring desperately.

11 debacle (maybe?) - Splitter doesn't play til Game 4 against a team that we desperately needed interior defense and size.

Pop is looking foolish right now, and I can't help but think he has been - at least in these two cases.

John Basedow
04-27-2011, 01:58 PM
09 debacle - Hill doesn't play serious minutes until Game 3 or 4 of that series against a team we needed perimeter scoring desperately.

11 debacle (maybe?) - Splitter doesn't play til Game 4 against a team that we desperately needed interior defense and size.

Pop is looking foolish right now, and I can't help but think he has been - at least in these two cases.

Don't forget playing Manu in Game 82...cost them Game 1 of this series.

FailureNotAnOption
04-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Don't forget playing Manu in Game 82...cost them Game 1 of this series.

Four straight years of considerable playoff injuries for Manu. Four straight years. I can't blame Pop for Manu being a playoff china doll or just having bad luck, however you want to rationalize it.

Fireball
04-27-2011, 02:12 PM
I have the bad feeling Pop will go back to Blair/Bonner in Game 5. Hopefully not, but Tiago/Duncan does not seem to work, therefore I like to see Duncan/Dice and Bonner/Splitter on the floor ...

FailureNotAnOption
04-27-2011, 02:15 PM
I have the bad feeling Pop will go back to Blair/Bonner in Game 5. Hopefully not, but Tiago/Duncan does not seem to work, therefore I like to see Duncan/Dice and Bonner/Splitter on the floor ...

The Splitter/Duncan frontcourt combo may have not even played a combined 48 minutes over the first 82 games of this season.

Unfortunately, it may be our only chance at salvaging the season - which means Pop must deal with some mistakes and chemistry trouble without overreacting in his substitution patterns.

Fireball
04-27-2011, 02:33 PM
The Splitter/Duncan frontcourt combo may have not even played a combined 48 minutes over the first 82 games of this season.

Unfortunately, it may be our only chance at salvaging the season - which means Pop must deal with some mistakes and chemistry trouble without overreacting in his substitution patterns.

We cannot expect to find this chemistry now ... it will be interesting to see what happens tonight.

Thompson
04-27-2011, 02:33 PM

I think I read somewhere they had around 20-some-odd minutes together, total, for the whole season. Pop lost his freaking mind, and everyone knew it but him all season long. I'm also disappointed in the other players and assistant coaches for not slapping him for his stupidity all year long.

rmt
04-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Four straight years of considerable playoff injuries for Manu. Four straight years. I can't blame Pop for Manu being a playoff china doll or just having bad luck, however you want to rationalize it.

I blame Pop for the decision to play the starters. If he wanted to rest the starters, he should have rested them for both games. If he wanted HCA, he should have played them both games. I can even see playing them vs LA and resting for PHX if SA lost, but resting for LA and playing PHX makes no sense.

I wish Pop was held more accountable. That reporter who asked about playing Tiago should have done so after game 3 too. Pop's smartassness (is there such a word?) is coming back to bite him. What a waste of a year - all that run and gun fun/#1 seed instead of preparing for the real season. It's one thing not to have the personnel but it's reprehensible to have Tiago sitting on the bench all year and then turn to him when desperate. What a position to put him in.

suitedkings
04-27-2011, 02:40 PM

Dont forget about sticking with Horry a year too long.

Sticking with Finley a year too long.

Sticking with Bonner 3 years too long.

cantthinkofanything
04-27-2011, 02:46 PM
I think I read somewhere they had around 20-some-odd minutes together,

And Bonner played 1432 minutes of which 98% were odd.

SA210
04-27-2011, 05:39 PM
one season too late. what a waste.

Pop's a fking moron

ChumpDumper
04-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Pop's a fking moronHe played well in the first half.

Not in the second -- but the excuse is built in.

SA210
04-27-2011, 05:47 PM
He played well in the first half.

Not in the second -- but the excuse is built in.

He played well in the game and outdid our other bigs. Hate all you want: he did that with hardly ever getting playing time the whole season. Pop is a moron.

elemento
04-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Pop had all the regular season to insert hin in the rotation and later play him in the playoffs. Now that we're down 1-3 he decides to use him ..

Jeeezz .our coach is a fucking moron.

++SaiNt TiAg0++
04-27-2011, 05:58 PM
how many of us called this like nostradamus so sad that it pop went through the same stupid desperation acts as last year.

now im calling out another prediction expect pop to do the same chicken shit lineups until its too late year after year. unless he refinds himself or is fired i think hes just done

ChumpDumper
04-27-2011, 06:01 PM
He played well in the game and outdid our other bigs.
He played well in the first half.

Not in the second

Hate all you want: he did that with hardly ever getting playing time the whole season.
-- but the excuse is built in.

And there was no hate in there whatsoever. Your hate has blinded you.

wildbill2u
04-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Reporters in Dalls and Houston would not let Pop get away with avoiding answers to real questions. If he did, he would get roasted publicly and often. I've lived in both towns lately and their sports reporters are smart and ask pointed questions of coaches in every sport. But Pop has the SA bunch scared to death of him and his sarcasm. They back down every time.

ChumpDumper
04-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Aren't there national reporters out there during the playoffs?

Why do most of them not give a shit about your agenda too?

DeadlyDynasty
04-27-2011, 06:28 PM
Pop had all the regular season to insert hin in the rotation and later play him in the playoffs. Now that we're down 1-3 he decides to use him ..

Jeeezz .our coach is a fucking moron.

Yup...Pop dropped the ball. He had ample time to integrate Splitter into the line-up this season. Instead he opted for D'Antoni-ball, and the playoff results are not surprising.

mingus
04-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Splitter and Duncan don't have much chemistry right now. Hell, even Parker doesn't have a lot chemistry with him. It showed in that third quarter in game 4.

But just because the Spurs lost, does not mean Splitter was the reason for it. The Spurs were up by 2 going into half time. It was a great first half and Splitter was undeniably a big part of that. Even McHale was saying that.

Pop should have stayed with Dice at the start of second half though. Do what got you the lead in the first half. Right now, I'm not sure TD and Splitter have enough chemistry to play together.That's Pop's problem, but that's another debate. But Splitter could help trememendously as a reserve. That's the role i think he's best suited for.

Ice009
04-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Splitter and Duncan don't have much chemistry right now. Hell, even Parker doesn't have a lot chemistry with him. It showed in that third quarter in game 4.

But just because the Spurs lost, does not mean Splitter was the reason for it. The Spurs were up by 2 going into half time. It was a great first half and Splitter was undeniably a big part of that. Even McHale was saying that.

Pop should have stayed with Dice at the start of second half though. Do what got you the lead in the first half. Right now, I'm not sure TD and Splitter have enough chemistry to play together.That's Pop's problem, but that's another debate. But Splitter could help trememendously as a reserve. That's the role i think he's best suited for.

Our best ball has been with Dice coming in off the bench as the first big. Start Splitter and stick to it.