PDA

View Full Version : Question concerning the utilization of Bonner.

xellos88330
04-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Unless I am mistaken, I can't really remember seeing this used by the Spurs purposely. Have the Spurs only used Bonner in Pick and Pop? Memphis is switching that matchup almost every time. If Bonner were to actually roll to the basket it might cause problems for the Memphis defensive game plan. I do not think that the Grizzlies would expect Bonner of all people attack the rim after he sets the screen. If the pass cannot be made to Bonner, he should curl off the baseline off a screen from Tim. This could potentially force the big guarding Tim to switch off to Bonner and leave Duncan with a mismatch against a guard. If the big decides to stay, Bonner should be open for a second or two in the corner.

I have been trying to think of things that could possibly throw a monkey wrench into the plans of the Grizz. Bonner has been way to easy for them to defend. He isn't stretching the Grizz defense because he is being guarded by a smaller player on the switch after he sets a screen a majority of the time. So I was trying to think of a way to actually make Bonner more effective on the offensive end. (Defense is another story) I know it seems like a silly idea, but Bonner has been able to make little floaters and hookshots. He is also a decent FT shooter.

Discuss... (This could also hold true for McDyess)

"Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected." - Sun Tzu

jeebus
04-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Bonner spreads the floor.

xellos88330
04-27-2011, 12:56 PM
Sure Bonner has the ability to spread the floor, but only when he is sucking the big out of the paint. If he is being guarded by a perimiter player, spreading the floor is pointless.

arodz
04-27-2011, 01:08 PM

Not when the calendar hits April.

jeebus
04-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Not when the calendar hits March.
fify

Cessation
04-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Bonner's man also sags off and can get back to him in time, it seems, due to Gingers slow release. Resulting in him aimlesly dribbling around and eventually passing the ball. Bonner is horrible on so many levels, it's trully sad that this has become bonners team. Pop is a sick man, tbqh.

FailureNotAnOption
04-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Bonner will be a pretty good trade asset, methinks,since for a team without title aspirations (or defensive aspirations) he could be a very solid fit. Additionally, he has proven he can play well off the bench or starting, allowing a coach to be flexible with his minutes and role.

rmt
04-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Don't you know Bonner spreads the floor?

On offense:
At the 3 pt line, he can be guarded by the PG.

On defense:
Needs help, double comes and leaves the wide open shot for MEM.

How about no Bonner tonight - TD (36), Dice (30), Tiago (30)? Plan Tiago's minutes to maximize his rest and have him play with the 2nd unit/Manu. It's an elimination game - they've got all summer (in Dice's case - the rest of his life) to rest.

silverblk mystix
04-27-2011, 06:17 PM
If Bonner HAS to play....I just wish he would try shooting the fuckin' ball when a GUARD is guarding him on the 3 pt line...FUCK...SHOOT IT....make him foul you...

instead...Bonner pulls the ball back and dribbles around like a fuckin' special olympics player wearing blinders on ...then passes it just for the sake of getting rid of the ball....:bang:bang

Better yet....

Give Splitter his minutes and pick and roll the grizzlies to death...let Tiago lay some fuckin' wood to these cocky guards and see how "handsy" they are when they start feeling those bumps and bruises and start hitting the floor....

None of the other spurs so-called bigmen can set a solid screen anymore....

spurspokesman
04-27-2011, 06:52 PM
I'd rather lose with his soft ass crazy glued to the bench. Minus his shooting he is useless. That bird manu caught does more for us than boner does. It distracted the other team and got the crowd going.

++SaiNt TiAg0++
04-27-2011, 07:39 PM
bonner doesnt spread shit and isnt respected by players there fore being completely useless if he did spread the floor we would be winning. they play zone on his ass so hes not even almost a threat its a fuking big joke

fraga
04-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Bonner = NO DEFENSE