PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Hillis wins Madden 12 vote

crc21209
04-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Updated: April 27, 2011, 5:02 PM ET

Peyton Hillis wins Madden 12 vote

ESPN.com news services

ESPN.com users have spoken and the face of Madden NFL 12 will be Cleveland Browns running back Peyton Hillis.

Hillis was announced Wednesday as the winner of the fan vote, under way since March 21, on ESPN2's "SportsNation."

The 10th-seeded Hillis overwhelmingly defeated Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick, seeded third, garnering 66 percent of the vote in the final of the 32-player bracket and will be on the cover of this year's version of the popular NFL video game franchise. This is the first year that fans were allowed to vote for the game's cover.

Hillis upset higher seeds throughout the vote. Hillis beat Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice (No. 7 seed), Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan (No. 2), Kansas City Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles (No. 6) and No. 1 seeded Green Bay Packers quarterback and Super Bowl MVP Aaron Rodgers to get to the finals.

Hillis was buoyed by an online campaign that included front-page treatment on the Browns' website, as well as ongoing Twitter and Facebook campaigns by the team.

In an ESPN.com chat earlier Wednesday with Hillis and Vick, the Browns running back said the vote has surprised him.

"I think it shows both of us how popular we are, even if we thought we weren't. Me, being a nobody. And Vicks' situation, being down and up," he said.

He also said that he's not afraid of the "Madden Curse". Several players have been injured or had down years in the season immediately after being on the game's cover -- including Vick, who suffered a broken leg before the 2003 season (Vick was on the cover of Madden NFL 2004, which was released in August of '03) and missed 11 of the Atlanta Falcons' games that year.

"For people to believe in this so-called curse, I can't wait to prove people wrong," he said. "From what I believe and where I am in my spiritual life, it would be good to prove them wrong in that sense."

Both Hillis and Vick said they regularly play the Madden game.

Vick, who was attempting to become the first player to appear on the Madden cover twice, also used the Internet to boost his candidacy as his official website redirected to the ESPN.com Madden vote. To advance to the final, Vick defeated Dallas Cowboys defensive end DeMarcus Ware (No. 14 seed), Houston Texans receiver Andre Johnson (No. 6 seed), San Francisco 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis (No. 7) and Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson (No. 9).

In 2010, Hillis became the first Browns running back to rush for over 1,000 yards in a season since 2008. He finished with 1,177 yards and 11 touchdowns and became known for his battering-ram style, shedding tacklers with hard running.

In his ESPN.com chat, Hillis said he doesn't think other running backs will try copying his style of running.

"When I play the game, I feel that I need to put it all into it," he said. "I don't care if I play 2 or 5 years. I just want to put it all into it. I don't think players will pick that up, they want longevity."

Vick was voted Associated Press Comeback Player of the Year last season after missing two seasons while serving a prison sentence for his role in a dogfighting ring and playing sparingly in 2009.

Vick led the Eagles to a 10-6 record and the NFC East title after replacing an injured Kevin Kolb after Week 1. Despite missing three games with an injury, Vick had his best season. He set career highs in yards passing (3,018), touchdowns passing (21), touchdowns rushing (9), completion percentage (62.6) and passer rating (100.2).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6438406

JoeTait75
04-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Oh shit, now we're in line for the Madden Curse. We might even have our team pickpocketed and replaced by a shitty expansion team that averages 11 losses a year and gets butt-raped by the Steelers and Ravens on a bi-annual basis, or something like that.

Silver&Black
04-27-2011, 05:47 PM
:ttiwwp:

Silver&Black
04-27-2011, 05:51 PM
http://www.maddenguides.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/browns-peyton-hillis-madden-12-custom-cover.jpg

Spurs da champs
04-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Madden is that desperate now? lmao

LnGrrrR
04-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Oh shit, now we're in line for the Madden Curse. We might even have our team pickpocketed and replaced by a shitty expansion team that averages 11 losses a year and gets butt-raped by the Steelers and Ravens on a bi-annual basis, or something like that.

Tbh, can Cleveland be any MORE cursed? Maybe the curses will cancel each other out like two waves.