PDA

View Full Version : At least Splitter looked good..

HarlemHeat37
04-27-2011, 09:57 PM
:lol..

I wonder what he would have looked like with regular minutes and development during the regular season..I guess we'll never know..

ChumpDumper
04-27-2011, 10:00 PM
What do you mean "guess"?

objective
04-27-2011, 10:01 PM
I don't know . . .

All the media, blogs, and even smart people on this board were saying that Splitter shouldn't have played at all.

They obviously know more than us.

HarlemHeat37
04-27-2011, 10:26 PM
Splitter/Neal for Jefferson/Bonner, please..

Josepatches_
04-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Hope he plays in Memphis.

NealwithIt
04-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Blair played 0 minutes. Tiago deseserved those miinutes. Good shit from tiago.

TDfan2007
04-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Tiago was fantastic. Love the adjustments by Pop.

ballhog
04-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Ditch RJ and put in Blair or Neal.

Capt Bringdown
04-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Splitter should have been in the mix earlier in the 3rd

Spurs99
04-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Tiago has been the most effective when he teams up with Manu at the end of 1st quarter or start of second quarter and the same in end of 3rd or start of 4th.....

Josepatches_
04-27-2011, 11:16 PM
Tiago can score very easy after pick & roll.That's what he better did all his career in Europe.

4>0rings
04-27-2011, 11:17 PM
:lol..

I wonder what he would have looked like with regular minutes and development during the regular season..I guess we'll never know..
Here's the gamble...

How many minutes in game 6?

SA210
04-27-2011, 11:50 PM
He should have been playing all along.

TDMVPDPOY
04-27-2011, 11:59 PM
he was the difference maker for game 4+5

i dont think its still late

splitter will be huge next game if the refs allow him to play without calling tik tak fouls on him

Obstructed_View
04-28-2011, 12:03 AM
he was the difference maker for game 4+5

i dont think its still late

splitter will be huge next game if the refs allow him to play without calling tik tak fouls on him

Splitter draws at least as many fouls as he commits. He's better to have on the floor in most situations.

TDMVPDPOY
04-28-2011, 12:18 AM
Splitter draws at least as many fouls as he commits. He's better to have on the floor in most situations.

the only fouls he commit is bailin out the other big whoever is on the floor who cant defend for shit, rj and bonner continue to front their man on the low post hoping splitter to bail them out on the help defense...fck pop for playing a small wanker next to splitter...it doesnt help either if he puts blair next to splitter

what i want to see from pop is more of dice or duncan playing alongside with splitter, on offense either one should be setting high screen pick for the backcourt...i favor the other big doing this cause splitter runs off to quick after setting the screen drawing t he man with him...

he still has a long way to go b4 reaching GOAT status of rasho

Cane
04-28-2011, 12:37 AM
At least this way he's healthy and teams might not scout him enough? :downspin:

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-28-2011, 05:19 AM
Yes, and when are Prigioni or Huertas suiting up for the Spurs?

KBP you're not claiming Prigioni and Huertas are better at PnR than Manu, are you?

DrSteffo
04-28-2011, 05:55 AM
Why do you think Prigioni and Huertas are greek KBP?

temujin
04-28-2011, 06:34 AM
Yes, and when are Prigioni or Huertas suiting up for the Spurs?

Take those blue pills, KBP.
they'll make you feel better.

:lol:lol:lol

BOHOLANO#21
04-28-2011, 06:50 AM
Die already KBP...

Josepatches_
04-28-2011, 07:05 AM
Lol

But yes..Prigioni was good playing PnR......with Scola and Splitter.He isn't showing same ability in Madrid so he wasn't the only reason.

And Prigioni is good but not he's not better than Manu at PnR.

Huertas? :rolleyes

fyatuk
04-28-2011, 07:55 AM
what i want to see from pop is more of dice or duncan playing alongside with splitter

Splitter has not looked very good playing next to Duncan, probably because they both prefer to be near the basket.

The Splitter/Bonner pairing has worked very well offensively. You just can't use it (or really Bonner) with both Randolph and Gasol on the floor because Bonner doesn't even have a prayer of guarding either in the post. Bonner even makes Arthur look like a hall of famer...

BRs.Ganso
04-28-2011, 10:10 AM
Splitter was good

he got 3 rounds, bonner got 3 too (but 2 of this 3 was because Splitter did the box)

Tiago like plays with pick and rolls, lol.. he did this in Europe, Spurs should make this too.

Huertas is a great point guard, excellent court vision, athletic, he could play in NBA.

Horse
04-28-2011, 12:49 PM
He certainly needs to play alot more. Play D and rebound but he's only allowed to shoot layups.

ohmwrecker
04-28-2011, 12:51 PM
He doesn't seem to be phased by the magnitude of playing in the playoffs. I take that as a good sign.

Southwest Texas Fan
04-28-2011, 01:20 PM
I had a dream that Splitter had a double double 20 20.

Cessation
04-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Splitter looked great, he wasn't forcing anything. Just playing d and setting picks, manu really knows how to set him up. It's unfortunate it took so long for pop to figure it out. Splitter is a better defender, and rebounder against quality front lines, he should have taken blairs minutes all along.

20beastie45
04-28-2011, 02:34 PM
He makes our guards better setting great screen and rolling hard to the basket. With that we broke down the defense and got good shots....Now Bonner and Jefferson need to make those shots

20beastie45
04-28-2011, 02:35 PM
He doesn't seem to be phased by the magnitude of playing in the playoffs. I take that as a good sign.

He has played in big games before were there is a lot on the line and the crowds are going crazy....just not at this level.

Solid D
04-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Splitter has not looked very good playing next to Duncan, probably because they both prefer to be near the basket.

The Splitter/Bonner pairing has worked very well offensively. You just can't use it (or really Bonner) with both Randolph and Gasol on the floor because Bonner doesn't even have a prayer of guarding either in the post. Bonner even makes Arthur look like a hall of famer...

In Game 5, Splitter played a total of 1:46 with Duncan on the floor. Splitter got most of his time with Bonner.

SnakeBoy
04-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Ditch RJ and put in Blair or Neal.

Well more minutes for Neal would be good, he has earned them. Blair shouldn't set foot on the court for the rest of this series. No fault of his own, he just doesn't match up against Memphis.

bigfan
04-28-2011, 03:53 PM
I agree the Manu/Splitter combo works pretty well and hopefully we will see it again in game 6 for extended time.

Solid D
04-28-2011, 04:17 PM
At least Splitter is gradually getting into game shape with each opportunity. Let's hope the Spurs don't run out of time in the process.

ohmwrecker
04-28-2011, 04:19 PM
He has played in big games before were there is a lot on the line and the crowds are going crazy....just not at this level.

Yep. That's what I said.

ohmwrecker
04-28-2011, 04:23 PM
In Game 5, Splitter played a total of 1:46 with Duncan on the floor. Splitter got most of his time with Bonner.

Splitter makes up for some of Bonner's defensive deficiencies and Bonner benefits from Splitter's presence (grabbing a couple of extra boards, or getting that lane runner to fall). If Bonner is playing, I prefer him with Splitter over McDyess or Blair.

Mugen
04-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Tiago has played better than I expected him to. He's been a lot better offensively than I though he'd be.

He's getting absolutely abused by Randolph though. I think Timmy has to be on Z-bo in the clutch and leave McDyess on Gasol. I can live with Gasol hitting turnaround hooks and fadeaways over Dice but we need length to bother Z-Bo's faceup....

fyatuk
04-28-2011, 05:25 PM
He's getting absolutely abused by Randolph though. I think Timmy has to be on Z-bo in the clutch and leave McDyess on Gasol. I can live with Gasol hitting turnaround hooks and fadeaways over Dice but we need length to bother Z-Bo's faceup....

buh?

McDyess has clearly been the best defender against Randolph, especially in crunch time.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-28-2011, 05:26 PM

Its because they do not run pick and rolls with Splitter when they are both on the court.

Thats what he does on offense right now and when you are asking him to play the weakside he cannot do much.

Make Randolph defend pick and rolls and make Gasol have to rotate off Tim. Tim actually can hit a 17 footer and allow him to actually roam a bit for once.

Manu and Splitter need to run pick and rolls all day long. With Bonner out there that is exactly the type of offense Pop gets his jollies off of.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Its because they do not run pick and rolls with Splitter when they are both on the court.

Thats what he does on offense right now and when you are asking him to play the weakside he cannot do much.

Make Randolph defend pick and rolls and make Gasol have to rotate off Tim. Tim actually can hit a 17 footer and allow him to actually roam a bit for once.

Manu and Splitter need to run pick and rolls all day long. With Bonner out there that is exactly the type of offense Pop gets his jollies off of.

This. We send both Tiago and Tim to the low block when they are playing together. Why, I don't know.

Manu + Splitter pick and roll, with Tim flared up at the elbow. on the other side of the paint.

duncan228
04-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Tiago Splitter, spacing king of San Antonio (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/tiago-splitter-spacing-spurs-offense)
by Andrew A. McNeill
48 Minutes of Hell

AT&T CENTER — After the first three games of the San Antonio Spurs’ first round playoff series with the Memphis Grizzlies, there was much clamoring for inserting Tiago Splitter into the rotation (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/should_tiago_splitter_play_in_game_4) to combat the size of Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol. The Grizzlies were able to punish San Antonio inside and exploit their height advantage.

Well, in Game 4 Gregg Popovich appeased the masses and began using Tiago Splitter (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/memphis-grizzlies-104-san-antonio-spurs-86-witnessing-the-unexpected) ahead of DeJuan Blair in the lineup. Splitter put up 10 points and nine rebounds in Game 4, but the Spurs got blown out.

In Game 5, Coach Pop again preferred to use Splitter ahead of Blair. San Antonio ended up winning 110-103 in overtime (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/san-antonio-spurs-110-memphis-grizzlies-103-neal-before-zod-spurs-survive) and Splitter shined in the second quarter and early fourth running pick-and-rolls with Manu Ginobili and George Hill.

Part of this is a function of Ginobili and Hill’s ability to shoot the ball. In talking with Wayne Vore of Spurs Planet (http://www.spursplanet.com/) during Wednesday night’s Game 5, he said that Tony Parker’s inability to consistently hit 3-pointers means that defenses don’t have to extend as far out.

Keep reading... (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/tiago-splitter-spacing-spurs-offense)

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/tiago-splitter-spacing-spurs-offense

Why playing Tiago Splitter is such a big gamble (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/why-playing-tiago-splitter-is-such-a-big-gamble)
by Timothy Varner
48 Minutes of Hell

From the outset of the series, Spurs fan called on Gregg Popovich to give Tiago Splitter minutes. Pop took the conservative route and only inserted Splitter into the lineup when the Spurs appeared broken and on the brink of elimination. This came with mixed results and mixed reviews.

Graydon Gordian saw Splitter’s Game 4 appearance (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/memphis-grizzlies-104-san-antonio-spurs-86-witnessing-the-unexpected), his first of the series, as a worrisome sign of desperation:

Keep reading... (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/why-playing-tiago-splitter-is-such-a-big-gamble)

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/why-playing-tiago-splitter-is-such-a-big-gamble

Obstructed_View
04-28-2011, 09:23 PM
buh?

McDyess has clearly been the best defender against Randolph, especially in crunch time.

:lol

duncan228
04-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Splitter’s time: ‘Something I’ve been awaiting’ (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/04/28/splitter%e2%80%99s-time-%e2%80%98something-i%e2%80%99ve-been-awaiting%e2%80%99/)
Mike Monroe

..."Of course it has been nice to get to play,” Splitter said. “It’s something that I’ve been awaiting. I think Pop changed his mind and he wanted to try to play me against their bigs and try to (play) good defense. That’s all he has asked me to do: Try to be solid on defense and set good screens.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/04/28/splitter%e2%80%99s-time-%e2%80%98something-i%e2%80%99ve-been-awaiting%e2%80%99/

Cessation
04-29-2011, 01:48 AM
lol splitter spaces the floor, bonner is pissed i bet

Isitjustme?
04-29-2011, 01:51 AM
He played a ton of big games in Europe and in FIBA.

Man In Black
04-29-2011, 01:51 AM
Splitter spaces by setting good hard picks. Way more Splitter, much less Bonner. I'll take Blair's energy in limited minutes.

Capt Bringdown
04-29-2011, 02:14 AM
Even Splitter's limited showing in this series has proven Pop's bizarre experiment with Blair to be a disaster in terms of getting us ready for the playoffs.

We could have developed Blair and worked Splitter into the lineup. What would have been the downside to that?
I'm convinced that if we had done so, we would not be in a position to join the Mav's shameful club of 1st round failure.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-29-2011, 02:31 AM
Of course they are. Huertas is WAY WAY WAY better at it.

lol I'm fully convinced you've never watched either of them play in your life.

Good trolling though.

Cessation
04-29-2011, 02:53 AM
I heard Splitter was Europe league mvp, and final mvp.

Nathan89
04-29-2011, 03:49 AM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/files/2011/03/17695007-BKN-SPURS-WARRIORS-EO-8-03_21_2011-306x292.jpg

Nathan89
04-29-2011, 03:52 AM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/gallery_images/photos/000/601/620/GYI0062456366_crop_450x500.jpg?1289741452

Obstructed_View
04-29-2011, 07:31 AM
I heard Splitter was Europe league mvp, and final mvp.

I heard Greek food is actually from Turkey.

Cessation
04-29-2011, 07:37 AM
I heard Greek food is actually from Turkey.

I think you might be right. Why Manuforever hating on the Golden God? Is he mad cause he was europe mvp, and not some hairy greek?

Ginobilly
04-29-2011, 09:40 AM
that's what I've been saying all year! That the real reason Pop doesn't play splitter in the starting lineup, is that both Dick and TP are lousy 3 point shooters( Manu is the only one truly spacing the floor) . They don't space the floor worth a damn! And we are going to keep seeing Ginger until one of those guys learns how to shoot better. It's amazing that this Spurs team set records in 3point shots, then you look at their roster and see that the only Players worth taking a consistent 3 point shot is Manu and Neal. Everybody else is streaky as hell.

TJastal
04-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Something I always noticed.

Blair & McDyess (as a pairing) have always looked pretty potent as a bench duo. Always had adequate defense but great rebounding (offensive too). That's why I was so elated that Splitter was coming to SA so I would be able to watch this bench duo carve up opposing teams while Duncan finally got his big 7 footer to help hold down the paint.

Well, we all know how that story went...

And now that the playoffs have started and Pop's stupid rotations were exposed for the joke they were, we finally got to see Splitter + Duncan in the starting lineup together thanks to desperation. Only reason it failed IMO was because of a lack of court chemistry together thanks again to the chickenshit coach who wouldn't try it for some god only knows reason.

On paper, TD+Splitter should work just fine, they just need more time to become a cohesive unit. Especially nowadays with Timmy playing more away from the basket more and more and finding most of his offense on face up jumpers/dribble drives on either the elbows or FT line. And let's not forget, Manu is a starter now which having Tiago in the starting lineup would have gave him a great P&R partner to run the offense through. Once court chemistry was attained, Splitter would have been as dominant as Bynum has been IMO.

But of course, Pop couldn't do without his ginger playing a big role on the team. And by god he's still monkey'ing around with Bonner he's obviously choking under pressure once again and is playing even worse defense (if that's even possible).

Ah well here's to hoping Pop limits Ginger's minutes in game 6 and Splitter records his first playoff 20+.

TJastal
04-29-2011, 09:48 AM
that's what I've been saying all year! That the real reason Pop doesn't play splitter in the starting lineup, is that both Dick and TP are lousy 3 point shooters( Manu is the only one truly spacing the floor) . They don't space the floor worth a damn! And we are going to keep seeing Ginger until one of those guys learns how to shoot better. It's amazing that this Spurs team set records in 3point shots, then you look at their roster and see that the only Players worth taking a consistent 3 point shot is Manu and Neal. Everybody else is streaky as hell.

WTF are you talking about? Jefferson shot 44% this year from 3.